Don Muaeng Airport To Re-open?

george

What's all this talk of DMK being re-opened ? It is open and serving flights currently. I hope they close it, the sooner the better. BKK can easily do with one airport, there is absolutely no reason why it should have two airports.

DMK is an outdated facility and I would not be surprised if the last remaining few airlines (nok and 1,2 go ) are forced to go back to BKK once they have the capacity to handle them.

Have you just woken up? How long have you been asleep?

Bkk cannot function 100% without more airports.

I have seen a lot of brit bashing on various threads, But at least they have the sense to have 5 airports serving the capital. (even that is not enough).

Bkk has one sad isn't it?

DMK is an outdated facility and I would not be surprised if the last remaining few airlines (nok and 1,2 go ) are forced to go back to BKK once they have the capacity to handle them.

Pardon me, but the last major terminal updates to DM were made less than a decade before it closed so it was hardly outdated. Clearly the Thai taxpayers did not get much for their investment as one would expect at least 30 years of usage for a return on such a major infrastructure investment. One of the very few spots at DM that qualifies for 30 years usage was the small room on the ground floor that was eventually used by Bangkok Air that was originally used as the sole domestic departure lounge. Apart from the inconvenience of having to take either the free shuttle or a long walk between the international and domestic terminals, I did not see DM as being particularly outdated. And having to travel between terminal buildings is not unique to DM as many Yanks and Brits can attest.

What's all this talk of DMK being re-opened ? It is open and serving flights currently. I hope they close it, the sooner the better. BKK can easily do with one airport, there is absolutely no reason why it should have two airports.

I have seen a lot of brit bashing on various threads, But at least they have the sense to have 5 airports serving the capital. (even that is not enough).

In light of Thai Airways having moved back all flights to BKK it seems they are handling just fine. DMK currently has a very low number of flights currently running, and I'm sure these probably can be moved back to BKK fairly easily and probably also within a limited time frame.

I think it is sad to have more then one airport, there are several cities the size of Bangkok that have one airport and nobody is asking for more there...

And of course it is dam right inconvenient for travellers and also confusing, and with the absent of any transportation link to link both places it seems to me the only right option is to get rid of DMK completely.

In light of Thai Airways having moved back all flights to BKK it seems they are handling just fine. DMK currently has a very low number of flights currently running, and I'm sure these probably can be moved back to BKK fairly easily and probably also within a limited time frame.

I think it is sad to have more then one airport, there are several cities the size of Bangkok that have one airport and nobody is asking for more there...

And of course it is dam right inconvenient for travellers and also confusing, and with the absent of any transportation link to link both places it seems to me the only right option is to get rid of DMK completely.

No the only correct option is to provide a designated rail link between the two airports and make DM the 2nd international airport in bkk.

But do they have the amount of passengers that bkk have?

Edited by cyb

^ yes, good example is Schiphol AMS, it has similar number of passengers each year (around 45 million). In fact that are airports that handle much more, so I don't see any reason why BKK cannot have a single airport handling all the traffic.

The problem with two airports IMHO is that you put pressure on the airport functioning as a hub (something that Thailand seems to be very keen on). Imagine your end destination is Siem Reap, you arrive at BKK from say London, and then have to transfer to DMK for your last leg to Siem Reap. That's inconvenient no other way of putting it.

^ yes, good example is Schiphol AMS, it has similar number of passengers each year (around 45 million). In fact that are airports that handle much more, so I don't see any reason why BKK cannot have a single airport handling all the traffic.

The problem with two airports IMHO is that you put pressure on the airport functioning as a hub (something that Thailand seems to be very keen on). Imagine your end destination is Siem Reap, you arrive at BKK from say London, and then have to transfer to DMK for your last leg to Siem Reap. That's inconvenient no other way of putting it.

Forget about this so called hub.

Years ago heathrow was the hub, Then there was the need for other ports.

why should thailand be different?

Working at BKK airport I would say the following (and using it 3 times a month):

1. BKK (Suv.) is not that bad at all and certainly better than DMK

2. all current air traffic to/from BKK can easily be handled by BKK alone, incl. the 2 carriers currently using DMK

3. the way forward is to use DMK as a fully fledged low cost carrier airport. A rail link between BKK and DMK airports would be nice but not essential for this scenario

OR

4. build a dedicated LCC terminal at BKK

From my perspective the latter is the much preferred option.

A large part of the reason why cities like London have several airports is legal restrictions on hours of operation. This severely affects capacity.

I thought the rationale behind Suvarnaphumi was that DM could not handle the high volume of traffic, but can any of you rememmber your landing being delayed while waiting for an arrival slot? Keep DM open, I say. It is an integral part of Bangkoks [indeed all of Thailands] history.

It would be nice to have DM reopened for some domestic flights as let's face it, it was easier to get through that airport. However, I can't see them ever doing international flights from there as it would require immigration and customs people and that would be costly to maintain at both airports. The problem is the cost to do business there with airlines having to split resources at both facilities. Hopefully the study requested will be done keeping in the forefront that any operations must be done on a profitable basis. IF an airline can run its operations profitably and the airport operations (government run) can be kept within reason then maybe there will be a chance. Unfortunately, wishful thinking my many does not make a venture such as keeping DM open a profitable enterprise.

If you think about it, all major cities in the world have at least two international airports. London has FIVE and it's still not enough..!!

As Asia's main travel hub Bangkok genuinely believes it can survive with ONE airport..??

Absolutely ridiculous.

Come back Don Muang, we miss you!

:)

yes and isnt bangkok bigger than london?

Oh dear... someone with a vested interest in DMK has gotten Abhisit by the short and curlies. Wouldn't be a 'military' figure now would it?

Soul less "Swampy" and good old "Donners"... airport with a 'heart'? <deleted>? Excuse me and pass the airsickness bag willya? They are just airports and the older I get, the best thing about airports is the LEAST amount of time spent passing through them and getting to your destination.

Beergardens and staff canteens... sheesh!

It would be nice to have DM reopened for some domestic flights as let's face it, it was easier to get through that airport.

But Don Muang is open for domestic flights. As I read through all the posts here and read about re-opening DMK, it seems that many think it is closed. Check out Nok Air or 1-2-Go.

I'll put my vote in for keeping DMK open, at least as a domestic airport. For most BKK residents, it's closer and faster to reach. But once you get there, it's far easier to get in and out to a flight. It probably takes me about 15 minutes from the time I step out of my car at the car park to check in, and arrive at my departure gate. At BKK, simply the walk from check in to the gate can take 15 minutes. And that's going to the gate. Did anyone ever notice that they "forgot" to put moving walkways outbound from the domestic gates to the terminal? They only run one way - out to the gates! That's nearly 500 metres of walking just to get to the end of the concourse if you arrive at the last gate in domestic. I have never seen such a poor design or longer walk in any airport anywhere. I pity some of the elderly passengers that I sometimes see making the walk, who look like they might never reach baggage claim. Even the taxi to takeoff is faster at DMK. The runways are closer in, and given the light amount of traffic, there is never a departure queue or "hold short for arriving traffic" there.

Give us a choice between the inefficient and time consuming hassles of Suvarnabhumi, and the much faster service at Don Muang. Keep Don Muang open, and let's hope more domestic flights will follow. At least for me, Don Muang is faster, cheaper, more convenient, and just simply a more pleasant experience than Suvarnabhumi.

I guess I am missing something in my life. I hate all airports equally. The faster I can get in and out the better I like it. Some of you people talk like you actually enjoy airports. Maybe the fact that I hate to travel has something to do with it.

A number of smaller airports would be better than one massive airport. Less people means less confusion.

Don Muang was Bangkok! It had that smell and feel that told you that you had arrived in Thailand. I first arrived in Thailand in the late 60's and as someone said earlier, the airport had the feel of a well worn jacket.

I have never felt really comfortable at the new airport, but change, as they say, is inevitable.

I guess I am missing something in my life. I hate all airports equally. The faster I can get in and out the better I like it. Some of you people talk like you actually enjoy airports. Maybe the fact that I hate to travel has something to do with it.

A number of smaller airports would be better than one massive airport. Less people means less confusion.

I completely agree with you, Gary. Exactly the reason why many of us want to keep DMK. I guess I have lived here long enough where there is nothing exotic about Bangkok airports. Nor do I feel any nostalgia for Don Muang. I just want to get from home and onto my flight, and then off the flight and out of the airport and back home as quickly and hassle-free as possible.

Yup, Maejo Man, I wistfully remember the old Don Muang airport where you smelled the sweet odour of rotting pineapple as soon as you got outside. I arrived on TG504 at about 10pm, a daily flight from Saudi which the girls knew well and would be waiting there for us in the parking lot which was right in front of the airport. Some of the guys (not me of course) would "sign autographs" on the hood of parked cars and then off downtown. Oh, the good old days.............

I'm all for DMK. It is a 'free' piece of infrastructure that is underutlised.

If they opened it up, giving airlines a choice where they wanted to land, I think you'll find people will use it, especially if the new airport is reaching capacity.

Don Muang was Bangkok! It had that smell and feel that told you that you had arrived in Thailand. I first arrived in Thailand in the late 60's and as someone said earlier, the airport had the feel of a well worn jacket.

I have never felt really comfortable at the new airport, but change, as they say, is inevitable.

Don Muang was Bangkok! It had that smell and feel that told you that you had arrived in Thailand.

I couldn't have described it better.

And let me add DM was/is an important part in Thailand's history!

Don Muang was Bangkok! It had that smell and feel that told you that you had arrived in Thailand.

I couldn't have described it better.

And let me add DM was/is an important part in Thailand's history!

It's just an airport nothing more.

The grand palace is an important part of Thailand's history to give just one example, a commercial airport isn't.

I'm all for DMK. It is a 'free' piece of infrastructure that is underutlised.

If they opened it up, giving airlines a choice where they wanted to land, I think you'll find people will use it, especially if the new airport is reaching capacity.

DMK is opened up. Any commercial airline is free to use it for domestic flights. Unfortunately, only Nok Air and 1-2-Go are at the moment.