Chiang Mai Immigration Office

Mapguy

Yeah, the matrimonial visa rules seem way onerous to me.

A poster mentioned that to qualify, he was told a visit to his house; wedding photos, etc.

I am curious. This is mentioned, but can any member actually recount having Immigration Police go to their house?

(I do recall a thread from 1+ yrs ago relating some activity on this issue).

Retirement extension is the way to go.

Just get rid of that dratted TM47, and all will be well......:;

Was considering a switch to a retirement visa. What exactly is the problem with the TM47?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my first yearly extension of a non-immigrant 0 based on marriage, earlier this year, the officials did come visit my house and interview one of my neighbors. I got the extension, but only 2 months after the house visit & I had to get a temporary, 1 month extension before they gave me the other 11 months. I was told somewhere along the line that they'd only need to check on my house, etc. for the first yearly extension & that next year everything should be quicker & smoother. We'll see.

Yeah, the matrimonial visa rules seem way onerous to me.

A poster mentioned that to qualify, he was told a visit to his house; wedding photos, etc.

I am curious. This is mentioned, but can any member actually recount having Immigration Police go to their house?

(I do recall a thread from 1+ yrs ago relating some activity on this issue).

Retirement extension is the way to go.

Just get rid of that dratted TM47, and all will be well......:;

Was considering a switch to a retirement visa. What exactly is the problem with the TM47?

well, if referring to the marriage visa, i guess the "problem" might be the initial wait period, verification of residence AND the fact that every year the wife has to go down for renewal... i guess... having just applied for my first one, that is the sense that i get.

other than that.. it is easier in a couple of respects - less money requirement and, if applying for retirement visa from outside thailand, no police report....

Has anyone going for an O extension based on marriage been asked to produce photos of house/wardrobe of late? Also a map to the house? I've never been asked for either.

I was asked for pictures of marriage, map to the house and informed that an immigration official would be out to our home, to take photos for themselves, within the 30 days of my extension (pending approval for one year marriage visa). That was on Thursday.

Thanks.

How about photocopying your passport, did they ask for a "certified true copy"?

According to the immigration site and the TV page about extensions they do, although I've just copied all pages as per normal in the past...

/Already answered. Simply means to sign one's copies as opposed to having it stamped 'certified true copy of original' by embassy. Phew//

Edited by jackr

Has anyone going for an O extension based on marriage been asked to produce photos of house/wardrobe of late? Also a map to the house? I've never been asked for either.

I was asked for pictures of marriage, map to the house and informed that an immigration official would be out to our home, to take photos for themselves, within the 30 days of my extension (pending approval for one year marriage visa). That was on Thursday.

Thanks.

How about photocopying your passport, did they ask for a "certified true copy"?

According to the immigration site and the TV page about extensions they do, although I've just copied all pages as per normal in the past...

/Already answered. Simply means to sign one's copies as opposed to having it stamped 'certified true copy of original' by embassy. Phew//

certified true copies came into play around the marriage certificate (from USA) and the birth certificate of daughter (again, USA)

90 day report done today for my wife and myself .Arrived at 8.15 got a ticket 4 in front of me .They started at 8 30 i was on my way out at 8.55 It was a a lot more effeciant than the previous system.As long as you go with all your forms completed and have everything you need your waiting time will be reduced considerably.

90 day report done today for my wife and myself .Arrived at 8.15 got a ticket 4 in front of me .They started at 8 30 i was on my way out at 8.55 It was a a lot more effeciant than the previous system.As long as you go with all your forms completed and have everything you need your waiting time will be reduced considerably.

A year ago this futile, pointless (see McGriffith's comments above) 90 day report used to take no more than a couple of minutes, as a number of posters have noted. Forty (!) minutes is a real backward step.

Wow! Four pages! I didn't expect that when I started this thread up.

There seem to be a couple of major reasons why dealing with regulations and regulators can be difficult at times. One is reflective of the regulations and regulators; the other is about foreigners, farang and those from other countries, as well.

In economically developing countries, it is normal to see a higher percentage of government employees within the "service sector" in employment statistics, relative to the labor force generally, than you find in developed economies. A government job is a step up to the middle class that provides job security, pay, and benefits (such as better health insurance and medical service) that surpass whats offered in most jobs. And often the government jobs provide respect, as with teachers. The situation can certainly breed laziness and sometimes leads to graft. At higher levels, entrenched bureaucrats can be politically very powerful, especially when governments are politically shaky But then that doesn't seem to be terribly different from other much more economically developed countries, both Western and Asian, does it?!

Meanwhile --- counterbalancing all the above --- back at the service windows that we all must visit for any number of the usual reasons found living anywhere, I have found extraordinary patience and tolerance among clerks and office managers in dealing with old paperwork systems that have not been successfully upgraded technically. That takes a while. It really hasn't been very long since governments in much richer countries started working on that at the internet consumer level. More than that, I have often witnessed the same extraordinary patience and tolerance in dealing with many, many unprepared and, worse, totally obnoxious impatient, loud foreigners, most of whom in my experience have been farang. I think a lot of points should be given to the clerks who have to deal with that on a daily basis.

Which leads to another factor that is perhaps a major reason for what seems to some to be inordinate bureaucratic concern with immigrants. I’ll wager that there is extraordinary number of illegal foreigners living "under the radar." And certainly many more “gaming” the system. I have met a few and have heard of more. Just to mention one dodge: marriages of convenience are hardly unusual. So --- surprise, surprise --- immigration might come calling to check. I do believe they favor random or spot checks. Another dodge (practiced mainly by the Japanese, I have been told by a banker] was “musical bank account balances” by which a few penurious souls would move around the money in their bank accounts when individuals in the group had to show their secure financial standing. So, again --- Surprise! Surprise! --- the 90-day rule was put into effect a few months ago.

Another thing to consider is the immigration department’s real concern beyond farangs playing games. Thailand is a magnet for undocumented laborers seeking work, especially around an urban area like Chiang Mai. Huge numbers of “illegals” can be a big problem.

So, what’s the big complaint by farang? I have never had the problem myself but accept that the timing of others’ visits might not have been great and they have had to wait a bit. So, take a book. Or people watch, if you don’t mind wincing at some of the behavior that is often on view.

Putting it all together, I doff my hat to the immigration folks . If there is anything to worry about, I’d worry about obnoxious foreigners and foreigners gaming the system. That might one day indeed be a problem for everyone.

Edited by Mapguy

Most of us can spare 2 or 3 hours in a pinch (I have spent that time on a river bank fishing, drinking in a bar, or even people watching at airports, watching idiot box, etc). Many of us moved to Thailand to relax and enjoy the change of pace and then we complain, because it does not meet our wishes for that time/day.

Perhaps you can if you have nothing better to do but I certainly prefer to do any of those things, or even nothing, because it's my prerogative and not something I am being told to do. In my case it doesn't just impact me, it also affects two others. On the reporting, one would think after several years of marriage where kids are involved they should be relaxing things slightly. Look at what other countries do with bonafide immigrants and drag one's policies in this regard into the 21st century for christ sakes. Relax that insatiable Thai trait of not giving a little and give a little.

On the last Thaier than Thai line, one is not complaining on the lifestyle, which is tickety-boo; it's more a case of being herded and made to jump through hoops. To what end?

Because that is what you have to do and have no choice in the matter other than leave .

There is no harm in a a farang having an opinion about a Thai issue. How influential it might be is another matter. But don't sit back and take everything with this "we are guests. if you don't like it go " attitude. Have some self respect and use the old gray matter

A year ago this futile, pointless (see McGriffith's comments above) 90 day report used to take no more than a couple of minutes, as a number of posters have noted. Forty (!) minutes is a real backward step.

They do not start until 8.30 ,25 mins it cannot take a couple of minutes if their is a pile of forms in the tray .1 in 5 might of got done in a couple of minutes .this system is a lot better when your number comes up you are seen to .If you have to wait go for a coffee does it really matter.

Watch the steps inside the building (mind the gap).

Good point. While I was waiting I twice saw someone nearly fall over that gap. Actually my previous post is in error and that it was the 2nd time I had been there. The first time was a couple of days earlier for my 90 day report but it was such a non-event didn't consider it as a true test of the new system. I chose my time, mid afternoon, went inside, found the queue machine and while looking at it one farang and an officer guided me to the correct button before I had a chance to read the display. :D

Before the ticket was even out of the machine my number was called. Went to the window and less then 40 seconds, it was done. So UG, just plan better times. :)

Just a suggestion. My forms, passport pages and TM47, are all in a pdf file already filled out. So all I do is just print out the one document, sign it and I'm set. 20 seconds this way as opposed to using the copy girl or scanning and printing each page every time. I also have a program on the PC called Simple Reminder that alerts me before the 90 days is up.

Question ... How many buttons are on the queue machine, and where is the location of the correct button for the 90 day's queue, and the annual visa renewal queue, does the machine indicate the location of the appropriate buttons in Thai or in English?.

They do not start until 8.30 ,25 mins it cannot take a couple of minutes if their is a pile of forms in the tray .1 in 5 might of got done in a couple of minutes .this system is a lot better when your number comes up you are seen to .If you have to wait go for a coffee does it really matter.

A year ago you walked up to the window, they took your form and stamped it then and there and handed back the receipt. And yes, every one did only take two minutes---a 90 day report was a walk in and walk out affair.

Question ... How many buttons are on the queue machine, and where is the location of the correct button for the 90 day's queue, and the annual visa renewal queue, does the machine indicate the location of the appropriate buttons in Thai or in English?.

Quite a few.

On the face of the machine.

Both

I went for my 90 day report today (Wednesday).

There was a nice gentleman from Immigration standing at the machine when I arrived at about 8:00 a.m. In very good English he explained it to me and pushed the correct button and handed me my number. (I noticed both English and Thai labels on the buttons, and I saw the 90 day button at the bottom immediately)

I sat and read the book I took with me. At 8:30 a.m. they opened the windows and called my number. I had all may paperwork ready and signed. A man standing at the window was in awe when a different person behind the counter tried to explain to him to go get copies of pages from his passport. To have the forms filled, passport ready, photos, etc. ready BEFORE taking a number was clearly posted near the machine. A different man standing on the other side of me continued to stand at the window even though his number was obviously not near being the called upon person.

As I reached the airport turnoff while driving away, I looked at the time ...... 8:33 a.m. Maybe the clock in the office was not set to the same time as mine. I suppose someone may complain about that.

Just my experience. I am very happy so far with the way I am treated at Chiang Mai office of Thai Immigration. If anyone is using a forum to find out how things work, you really should find out for yourself.

MSPain

A year ago you walked up to the window, they took your form and stamped it then and there and handed back the receipt. And yes, every one did only take two minutes---a 90 day report was a walk in and walk out affair.

In my experience, when the 90 day reporting was in the other office, you gave them your paperwork and someone filled it in, then had to go to an officer somewhere in an office to have it signed. It didn't take long, but it did involve more than one person on their side. I went today for my 90 day report and the person at the window handled everything right there, including signing. I would guess less than 2 minutes. It took me longer to get through the people standing in front of the windows and blocking the way to reach the windows.

I have never, before today, had anyone take the paperwork and hand it back, stamped, without first taking it for someone to sign. Maybe I went at the wrong time.

MSPain

Every time that i have been all 8 times in 2 years you had to put your documents in a tray .They then called your name when it had been done .I have never once gone and had it done in 2 minutes.The process may take 2 minutes not counting the waiting time.i am not disputing what you say but this is my experience of it.

Every time that i have been all 8 times in 2 years you had to put your documents in a tray .They then called your name when it had been done .I have never once gone and had it done in 2 minutes.The process may take 2 minutes not counting the waiting time.i am not disputing what you say but this is my experience of it.

And don't forget that they did not work on the paperwork necessarily in the order it was put in the tray. And I have seen first hand people trying to place their paperwork on top or bottom, whatever would be gained from that.

MSPain

If Neilrob had his 90 day stamped there and then in 2 Minutes.................A little embellishment of the truth I think.

The system is currently very efficient. Well done Immigration.

If Neilrob had his 90 day stamped there and then in 2 Minutes.................A little embellishment of the truth I think.

Not really. Last time I did mine, walked directly to the machine, pushed the button and before the ticket had even come out completely my number was called. Gave him the paperwork, 40 seconds later he handed them back and all done. As mentioned, timing is everything. No embellishment, used my watch just for occasions like this. :)

I have got another question one of you might know .

Once a year my mother has to go to the Dutch embassey to ask

for proof of life to extend her life retirement benefits .

I read somewhere it could also be done at immigration , not sure

Chiangmai does it , would be helpful if someone knows it or done it before ,

thanks in advance all ,

... one is not complaining on the lifestyle, which is tickety-boo; it's more a case of being herded and made to jump through hoops. To what end?
Because that is what you have to do and have no choice in the matter other than leave .

There is no harm in a a farang having an opinion about a Thai issue. How influential it might be is another matter. But don't sit back and take everything with this "we are guests. if you don't like it go " attitude. Have some self respect and use the old gray matter

Very well said :)

--

Applied for extension today and found it 100% more efficient. The signing of the book and clambering for the counter before now was perhaps as stressful as the visa thing in itself. Now, just sit back and wait for your number, no clutter at the counter. The guy at the machine is switched on and even offered to get number one for me for the following morning when I popped in to inquire the previous day. Before with the extension of stay, you'd be called up to the main counter and then called inside. Now, just go directly inside when number is up. The new room is also better, aircon not too severe and even have free internet. There's a back door to the cafe area with a speaker out there so smokers can hang or the duration and wait for number.

There are 5 choices on the machine (Thai and English - English key bottom right).

Have to do a pithy report in couple weeks but they seemed to be calling out the other numbers really quickly.

By the way, if I am not mistaken, one can do the 90-day report (which seems to bother a lot of people who hate visiting the immigration office in Chiang Mai) by mail. It certainly isn't hard to get the necessary form. No need to moan and groan. Check the immigration web site.

Oh yes, for those who might comment, I have never lost anything in the Thai mail that I sent out or was due to receive. if you want, you can always register a letter. Seems to me a lot of chaps who live out of town must do this.

Isn't it true, also, that someone else can actually do it for you at the office?

Edited by Mapguy

All true, but if the TM card gets lost in the mail or at Immigration, it seems like it could be a serious problem.

Best to use EMS. Remember reading some mention that if it gets lost then the EMS receipt can correct the problem. Also, I've never had anything lost using EMS within Thailand.

All true, but if the TM card gets lost in the mail or at Immigration, it seems like it could be a serious problem.

Best to use EMS. Remember reading some mention that if it gets lost then the EMS receipt can correct the problem. Also, I've never had anything lost using EMS within Thailand.

Never had aproblem using EMS to the USA.

I went to immigration about a week ago to extend the second entry of a tourist visa from Vientiane. Last time I remember walking up to a counter and dealing with the staff. This time I was faced with two black doors. So I walked in and stood there amid uniformed immigration people and couldn't work out what was going on.

Of course the door on the right leads to the client area.

But it was the same as always. Put my paperwork in, give them money. Sit and drink coffee. Get visa. Shopping at the plaza and a kfc and I'm done.

Not sure about the roving assistant. I walked in and pressed the button and got a ticket, then realised I'd have to go and get photocopies. I came back and my ticket had expired but roving assistant said it didn't matter, go to the counter. I went and it did matter and they sent me back to get a ticket (but this was all friendly, no big deal).

But I didn't hear my name outside, and 'roving assistant' brought it all for me while I sat there with my feet up.

Yes, so actually, 'roving assistant' is a good idea. They should assign one 24/7 to all farangs who enter cm by air, that would push up tourist figures, get the world media's attention and be incredibly useful to us all.