Backhoe

loelem

Hello,

Last year i buy a Kubota L4508 tractor. This year i like to buy a backhoe for this tractor, but the selling people in Nakhon Phanom tell me, dont buy a backhoe on your tractor because they are not good.

Is there anyone here who has a backhoe on his tractor en do you like it.

I dont use for to much strong work, i only use for digging out small trees and make small holes.

I aim to lazy to do bij hand :) .

greetings loe

This question has come up several times before and I want to give some background to Backhoes on Tractors.

Basically the hydraulic flow and pressure necessary for a real backhoe to work properly is not present in typical Tractor PTO hydraulics. This means you won't get enough breakout force in the bucket to remove stumps and really dig in terrain that is not difficult for a real backhoe!

The cost of an add on or 3 point link Backhoe is comparable to you buying a good used mini hydraulic excavator which is a real backhoe. See www.jssr.co.th for a list of monthly auctions!

The advantages of buying a mini excavator is that you also have another piece of machinery to play with and potentially hire out or use consecutively with the tractor.

Don't waste your money and your good tractor!

BB

Hello,

Last year i buy a Kubota L4508 tractor. This year i like to buy a backhoe for this tractor, but the selling people in Nakhon Phanom tell me, dont buy a backhoe on your tractor because they are not good.

Is there anyone here who has a backhoe on his tractor en do you like it.

I dont use for to much strong work, i only use for digging out small trees and make small holes.

I aim to lazy to do bij hand .

greetings loe

The Kubota L4508 tractor is reasonably large and strong.

Yes, I know what you want...

key words are "for (not) too much strong work and dig out small trees.

For trees, I will assume you mean something <20 cm.

What beardog said is true...

but ever tool has it's place...

hydraulics on a tractor are usually weak...

but you do have an investment in a 'bota L4508,

and I know you want that machine as versatile as possible.

I do like 3-point hitch mounted backhoes.

Actually have used them a lot.

Just remember, here, they are "lightweight" units.

And some complain about the wear on the 3-point hitch.

And if you choose to do this...

just do not "work" that backhoe "hard".

That also applies to whomever is using the equipment.

Do not "jocky" (thump) or abuse the digging bucket.

Yes it takes a little longer than a mini-excavator,

but far faster than hand digging.

I looked at BHoes back in 2006-2007, in Rangsit...

especially the local Thai units.

The "Thai" unit seems to be a china import.

Not surprising, there is not much demand for a tractor BHoe.

As a businessman, why would I want to Mfg these...

when I can import and mark up the price.

Did I buy one?

Here, no, not a tractor or a BHoe cause...

wife became pregnant with the 2'nd boy...

then became pregnant with a girl (3'rd child) .

So what is wrong with China or Thai units...

Yes, I also hear that they are not good...

and they are not built like those in other countries.

Closer questioning and actual inspection revealed...

- weak metal

- poor welding

- low quality rubber seals on pistons

- poor quality controls (valves were not proportional)

- small hydraulic cylinders (1.5" instead of 2")

(I was looking for one for a 'bota L2201DT)

BUT perfect for "not strong work".

Simply takes a little longer to do the job.

But it is simply a great tool...

We have a quality unit on a Ford 30+ hp (back at home),

and have dug

- water, sewer pipes

- septic tanks

- water ponds (for fish and cows)

- terraced a hillside

- prep a garden area

- install fence poles (we attached an auger to the bucket)

- landscaping bushes and trees

It can be a great tool.

Ranks up there with...

- the rotary mower

- the plows and cultivators

- the Front End Loader

- the 10+ Kw ac generator

So I say yes, get one...

but first research how much "flow" is on that tractor.

Good luck, as I could not find it.

Perhaps Kubota headquarters is in Rangsit can tell you.

search on www.siamkubota.co.th/th/index.aspx

pho. 02-909-0300, 02-529-0363

email ???

Do not bet that they have the info, they are mostly worthless.

Whatever...

- do size the unit accordingly

- do not abuse it...

as it is not "construction equipment" quality...

but it can/will fit your needs for a long time.

Cheers, Howto

I have a used LW7 in the workshop - made for meduim sized Kubota's - will go straight on in about 15min - see: www.jinmatractorsqld.com/cat/backhoe.htm

Haven't looked at it for about 2 years, but it was working when we removed it from the last Kubota it was on.

Note that it has its own pto powered hydraulic system - the Kubota hydraulic system has the pressure but its flow rate is not sufficient (unless you are happy watching your backhoe work in slow motion).

Note - the 4508 has no chassis mounting points behind the driver platform - try to cobble together a sub-frame (which will be required) if you want to mount a backhoe to the chassis, will be a big job and quite frankly not worth the effort, and if you are running your 4508 on Kubota Finance (as many ex-pats are ??) then check your contract fine print - it's usualy rendered null and void if changes are made (and the maintenence costs are bad enough on Kubota as they are). I wouldn't reccomend it.

PM me if interested for puics and costs.

Hello,

Thanks all for the information. To Maizefarmer. I paid him cash so i dont have a kubota finance :D .

But the one you have is not a 3 points where i was looking for or what?. (sorry for my english i aim dutch :) ).

I think next week i go looking to mini excavators and then i ask the kubota shop if they know someone who bougt a backhoe on the tractor. I will only buy if i can try it first.

You know we have about 20 rai of land 8 of this we used for rice, but thai people cut the trees bud never take out the stumps. So i have to take out about 40 stumps. Last year i did it by pusshing al the land away whit my kubota and then cut the roots. But sometimes it take more than 4 hours for one stump. So i want to do it in 1 hour.

After that work i only used the backhoe for small digging, thats why i dont want to spent to much money. I have to do a lot other things :D

greetings loelem

Loelem - don't worry about the language - Vlaams is my tweede taal - write in Flemmish if you wish.

I'm sorry - I dont quite understand what you are looking for - you say "But the one you have is not a 3 points where i was looking for or what?".

This sounds like you do want a 3 point hitch mounted backhoe - have I understood you correctly or incorrectly?

The one I am offering you is 3 point hitch mounted

Your alternative is one of Kubota's backhoe models e.g. BT 900, K600 series - the 650 is good, or an old 4690 (one on the internet now for $650) - if that is what you think you will be happy with, keep in mind that new none of them are cheap - over Baht 120K - 150K.

If you want a backhoe to mount to the tractor chassis (meaning: frame) you will have to build one - and that will be a lot of work and expensive (not worth it in my opinion), which as others have said will also NOT be a a good idea. The 4508 is NOT designed to work with a backhoe, and that is why I offered you a relatively "light weight" backhoe that mounts on to the 3 point hitch.

This will help ensure that your tractor is not subjected to any more stress and fatigue than its can handle. Backhoes add a lot of stress and "wear & tear" to tractors - a lot! If anything is going to break it will be part of the 3point hitch. If you have the backhoe mounted to the frame in the long run, and as others have said it will do your tractor no good at all.

• 2 weeks later...
Loelem - don't worry about the language - Vlaams is my tweede taal - write in Flemmish if you wish.

I'm sorry - I dont quite understand what you are looking for - you say "But the one you have is not a 3 points where i was looking for or what?".

This sounds like you do want a 3 point hitch mounted backhoe - have I understood you correctly or incorrectly?

The one I am offering you is 3 point hitch mounted

Your alternative is one of Kubota's backhoe models e.g. BT 900, K600 series - the 650 is good, or an old 4690 (one on the internet now for $650) - if that is what you think you will be happy with, keep in mind that new none of them are cheap - over Baht 120K - 150K.

If you want a backhoe to mount to the tractor chassis (meaning: frame) you will have to build one - and that will be a lot of work and expensive (not worth it in my opinion), which as others have said will also NOT be a a good idea. The 4508 is NOT designed to work with a backhoe, and that is why I offered you a relatively "light weight" backhoe that mounts on to the 3 point hitch.

This will help ensure that your tractor is not subjected to any more stress and fatigue than its can handle. Backhoes add a lot of stress and "wear & tear" to tractors - a lot! If anything is going to break it will be part of the 3point hitch. If you have the backhoe mounted to the frame in the long run, and as others have said it will do your tractor no good at all.

Hello Tim,

I sent you pm,s and emails, but you didnt get them?. I aim waiting your price and pics, this week i go Udon so let me know quickly

greetings Loe