Taco Valley On Pattaya Klang, What's The Buzz?!?

Jingthing

And I agree, the best Mexican food is NOT available in Mexico. It's the variations and derivatives available OUTSIDE Mexico that we all like. I liken Mexican cuisine in Mexico to Filipino cuisine anywhere... pretty grim IMHO.
Well, I don't agree. I have had brilliant Mexican food in Mexico.

I agree. The Mexican food in Cali, Texas and the southwest is good, but it's also very tasty south of the border, especially Baja and Yucatan.

Just read page 2... Mexican food Korean-style. Pass!

Don't knock it until you've tried a Korean pastrami burrito!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ ...and maybe some day the food critic that lurks deep inside you will realise that we ALL have different tastes. I know what I tasted and I accept what you tasted was different but I won't call you on it. I have had sublime ceviche in northwest Peru that made others throw up... but I digress.

See you at Beavers?

I agree. The Mexican food in Cali, Texas and the southwest is good, but it's also very tasty south of the border, especially Baja and Yucatan.

Sorry, I was further down the coast and nearer where the poorer people are and it was cack. Kinda like comparing the wichety grubs and <deleted> they eat in Isaan with the 'royal' stuff dolled out in the up-market and touristy places in LOS.

Korean Pastrami Burrito.... now THAT does sound interesting. I reckon the OP should bury his prejudices and give it a fair go.

Edited by NanLaew

I would try a Korean pastrami burrito, once anyway. That sounds strange and interesting. This Valley joint has no such unusual menu items ...

Again, read what I have said, it is just a lame copy of Taco Bell, and I don't even like Taco Bell. It is NOT Korean food!

I must admit, even I am (normally quite shameless) feeling embarrassed about posting so much about a restaurant I have no intention of eating at, and one that I would bet money won't last a year. However, I have suggested that TACO BELL fans check it out and let your fellow brothers in fast food know how it stacks up to that high standard.

Edited by Jingthing

I went to mikes and not impressed

I chose the Chips and chicken Taco or something like that. The chips enticed me as a fall back if I wasn't keen on the mexican part, as never tried Mexican before.

Turned out the chips were not my idea of chips, but the snappy cardboard light wafer things. Oh well

However, being as it was not busy and was delivered to me COLD. I sent it back for a re-heat and I'll not be returning.

Quite disappointing.

Edited by twix38

If people like the food at an ethnic eatery, then it seems they say the food is good (fill in the blank) food.

I have lived all my life in either Texas or California and traveled extensively in Mexico. The "Mexican" food I have liked best was in small Mexican eateries in Michigan or Colorado or any place there are a lot of, well, Mexicans who have recently arrived. Man, they cook up some really good sht.

Haven't tried Beaver's yet, I've tried the rest in Pattaya. Mick's is hands above the rest in my book. TR makes a chili I like, but its not very Mexican, but good. The other Mexican dishes I have tried there are not to be ordered by me again. I'm glad some folks like TR, but, please, don't judge "Mexican" food by what TR serves.

But what's funny to me is that when the Navy is in town, TR is packed with American kids hungry for Mexican food. Go figure..

I've read each and every comment about Mexican food and restaurants in Pattaya that are on this forum. First, Brits are not allowed a vote here as Mexican food is never referred to as 'brilliant'. What morons you can be. Secondly, Tequilla Reef has awful Mexican food. Blue Parrot is only slightly better, but is generally a worthless place with a great location. Mikes Mexican is passable but does have salsa that seems like ketchup. The cure, bring your own bottle of Howies Salsa to the restaurant with you. Mikes had a second location behind Carrefour a few years ago but it failed for lack of customers. They should have advertised it, but that's old news now. For my money, as an American that has lived throughout the Western USA, So Cal Mex is great, and the best Mexican food I ever have eaten was in El Paso at Forti's Restaurant. This place's back wall is up against the border fence. XLNT.

First, Brits are not allowed a vote here as Mexican food is never referred to as 'brilliant'.

In general, I would agree that Brits don't know from Mexican food (with many exceptions of course). However, don't always assume people using British usage are actually British. Many of us Americans living here in "Little Britain" pick up some British usage. Personally, I find it fun and a bit campy to do so. Otherwise what you said was all SPOT ON.

Edited by Jingthing

The Beefeater Restaurant in the KISS food plaza on second road, across from Mike's Department Store has some decent tacos.

I have not tried anything else on their menu but friends tell me their other food is tasty as well.

On Saturday and Sundats Beafeaters has an all you can eat tex mex buffet with some of the best ribs I have ever tasted in Thailand. Well worth a try.

Barry

Great. Ribs are not Mexican food. Next ...

Look folks, people in Pattaya know we don't have anything here YET that compares to the better places in Thailand: Sunrise Bangkok, T&S Bangkok, and Miguels Chiang Mai. We want it but we don't have it. I realize there are many people who are willing to eat really bad Mexican food rather than nothing, more power to you ... I prefer nothing.

Edited by Jingthing

Mikes: small portions and over-priced food. Bad location.

TR: No taste. Maybe it is the owner's wife there who has absolutley no interest in welcoming the customers or responding to them. I have no idea how this woman can stay in the restaurant's employ unless she is the owner's wife. She is outright rude.

Blue Parrot: Greasy over-priced chips. Average food. Poor ambience, no a/c.

Beefeaters: 250 baht? Average Mexican food plus ribs, too.

For those of you who eat at the good Mex restaurants in Bkk, let them know that Pattaya is waiting and they would have no competition.

And "No", restaurants do not deserve a second chance.

The Mexican owner of Tacos and Salsa Bangkok expressed interest to me by PM some months back of working with a Pattaya restaurant owner to bring his style of food to Pattaya. I am not interested in running a restaurant but if you know anyone who is who knows what Mexican food is supposed to taste like, you might contact him. This is when he had the smaller location; I don't know if he would still be interested, but it won't hurt to ask.

Edited by Jingthing

so... has anyone of you knuckleheads eaten at Taco Valley yet? someone needs to be the guinea pig and well, i'm tied up right now :)

Knuckleheads? Guess you mean posters who post off topic posts.........sorry. Taco Valley? Strange name.................never eaten there.

do what now?

I'll try it, but where on Klang is it?

It is pretty amazing to me that for a relatively simple cosine, authentic Mexican is almost impossible to find in Asia. There are some good Tex-Mex places, like Coyotes in Bangkok or Chili's in KL, there are some decent Taco Bell imitations such as Sunrise (there actually are Taco Bells in Singapore). Probably the best real Mexican I have had in Asia is a place called Cha-Cha in Holland Village in Singapore. Not really great, but beats anything I have had in Bangkok or Pattaya. Probably the only edible Mexican Food in Bangkok is Señor Pico’s in the Rembrandt Hotel, and that ain’t saying much.

TH

It is pretty amazing to me that for a relatively simple cosine, authentic Mexican is almost impossible to find in Asia. There are some good Tex-Mex places, like Coyotes in Bangkok or Chili's in KL, there are some decent Taco Bell imitations such as Sunrise (there actually are Taco Bells in Singapore). Probably the best real Mexican I have had in Asia is a place called Cha-Cha in Holland Village in Singapore. Not really great, but beats anything I have had in Bangkok or Pattaya. Probably the only edible Mexican Food in Bangkok is Señor Pico’s in the Rembrandt Hotel, and that ain’t saying much.

TH

Sunrise is NOT a Taco Bell imitation! It is more like a Californian burrito joint imitation. If it actually were in a California city, it wouldn't be very popular, but if you were in the neighborhood and hungry for taqueria style food, it would be good enough. Since we are in the neighborhood of Thailand, it is good enough, and way better than anything that has ever been offered in Pattaya.

The only reason I can think for the rarity of OK Mexican food here is that there aren't enough Americans or Mexicans here to demand it. Look at Pattaya with its scads of Brits, and what the Brits themselves say there is semi decent or better British food many places here. Miguels in Chiang Mai is pretty good, and although I have still not been to Tacos and Salsa in Bangkok, many say it is great (and really Mexican). So it IS POSSIBLE to do acceptable Mexican avoid in Thailand. No excuses!

If there was a sudden wave of Mexican migration to Thailand (one can dream) you can be sure within months there would be several good Mexican restaurants.

Edited by Jingthing

So you don’t think the Sunrise Tacos are just overstuffed Taco Bell imitations? How about we agree that it is a fairly good imitation of a Mexican fast food place. This would inlcude Del Taco, Chipotles, Taco Tio, and El Pollo Loco amoung others.

It is too bad you choose not to focus on the main point of my post, instead picking on my characterization of Sunrise, a place I eat at several times a month.

TH

So you don’t think the Sunrise Tacos are just overstuffed Taco Bell imitations? How about we agree that it is a fairly good imitation of a Mexican fast food place. This would inlcude Del Taco, Chipotles, Taco Tio, and El Pollo Loco amoung others.

It is too bad you choose not to focus on the main point of my post, instead picking on my characterization of Sunrise, a place I eat at several times a month.

TH

I would much prefer eating at Taco Bell than Sunrise Taco any day of the week.

The main reasons we don't have Mexican food here (excluding Tacos and Salsa--which could be much better if it became a Tex-Mex place--and Miguels in Chiang Mai.....the latter I am assuming is OK because of positive reports) is:

1) Lack of locally available authentic ingredients--especially affordable beef, cheese, and spices and chiles and masa, and pinto beans, etc

2) Lack of understand by the owners of what really good Tex-Mex, Calif-Mex, and Mex is, and how to cook it (I think most don't have a clue)

3) Refusal of various owners to listen to clientele and take feedback seriously

4) Insistence on combining "Mexican food" with BBQ or hamburgers or other items not related to Mexican food.......if you want to open a Mexican restaurant, try focusing on Mexican food only (duh)

5) New players thinking that success in the business means to model what is here......bad move because what is here is, for the most part, Crap-Mex (especially in Pattaya-Jomtien but with one exception the same for Bangkok).

So you don't think the Sunrise Tacos are just overstuffed Taco Bell imitations? How about we agree that it is a fairly good imitation of a Mexican fast food place. This would inlcude Del Taco, Chipotles, Taco Tio, and El Pollo Loco amoung others.

II don't think of Taco Bell as being Mexican at all. To me it has been influenced by Mexican food, but it is entirely its own weird fast food cuisine.

Sunrise is more like the Mexican recipes that mom got from Redbook Magazine. It is based on Mexican food and tastes like Mexican food, but meant for American palettes.

TH

No we don't agree. It is nothing like Taco Bell and certainly nothing at all like El Pollo Loco. Chipotles is a special weird case. They are a taqueria with some off twists, white rice only and quality sourced meats, not really Californian just based on their rice and salsas, but that is closer to what Sunrise is trying to be, yes. Yes, Taco Bell is FAST FOOD CONCEPT like a McDonaldization of Mexican food. Sunrise is an attempt at a taqueria. I respect that some people feel they aren't doing a good enough job, but based on the menu and assembly style, they clearly are trying to be a taqueria.

Edited by Jingthing

i love Taco Bell. that's all.

You are not alone, but it ain't Mexican food.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/busi...acobell100.html

"It's like bringing ice to the Arctic," complained pop-culture historian Carlos Monsiváis.

The company's branding strategy — "Taco Bell is something else" — is an attempt to distance itself from any comparison to Mexico's beloved taquerias, which sell traditional corn tortillas stuffed with an endless variety of fillings, from spicy beef to corn fungus and cow eyes.

Taco Bell has taken pains to say it's not trying to masquerade as a Mexican tradition.

"One look alone is enough to tell that Taco Bell is not a 'taqueria,' " the company said in a half-page newspaper ad. "It is a new fast-food alternative that does not pretend to be Mexican food."

Edited by Jingthing

I concur. It ain't Mexican.

Right........"it ain't Mexican" any more than Tamale Pie (but Tamale Pie is really good and certainly has a relationship to Mexican food).

And that is the sorry ass point: Taco Bell, a place that we can agree is not Mexican, is better than what is being portrayed as "Mexican," "Tex-Mex," "California-Mex," etc., in Thailand at present.

If that sounds critical.........that is because it is critical.........it is about as critical as I can get and still remain semi-polite.

I am sick of not having some really good Mexican food in Thailand. I don't want any more "Crap-Mex"......especially California-Crap-Mex (uh oh......here they come).

There is one exception I know of personally: Tacos and Salsa in Bangkok (good for Thailand--good for Asia--but still not what I am looking for and craving).

The other probable exception is Miguels in Chiang Mai..........I say that only because there have been too many positive reviews of it to be a bad place. I am looking forward to trying Miguels.

Taco Valley? I have not read anything yet that makes me want to try it.