Repairing My Glasses

russianrobert

I am not aware if they still do , but Boots the chemist used to carry small repair kits for spectacles , the only thing I found missing was an eye-glass so you could SEE what you were doing whilst your spectacles were under repair . I now have a small screwdriver set simply for the purpose of checking those tiny retaining screws once in a while .

I am not aware if they still do , but Boots the chemist used to carry small repair kits for spectacles , the only thing I found missing was an eye-glass so you could SEE what you were doing whilst your spectacles were under repair . I now have a small screwdriver set simply for the purpose of checking those tiny retaining screws once in a while .

Good idea, I hate to have a screw loose!

• 2 years later...

Looking for a capable sunglasses repair venue in Pattaya. anybody know of a good shop? I have walked into several of the big name stores with no luck. I have somewhat specialized glasses (gatorz aluminum) and need the hinge replaced, so it would involve some tiny and precise drilling. It wouldn't be worth sending them back to the manufacturer.

thanks DL

Edited by Deelectro

Good idea, I hate to have a screw loose!

Its worth paying for a screw in case you lose your loose screw.

SC

You might struggle to get them repaired even if it seems straightforward. I found when I broke mine most opticians came up with every excuse under the sun that it could not be done and were trying to sell me a new pair each time.

As said, buy a set of jeweller's screwdrivers and try the repair yourself. Failing that the chain-shop 'Beautiful Optical' on Soi Buhkow in Pattaya (a few doors on the left past the junction with Soi Diana going towards Klang) did a good repair for me one time - at no charge! Don't know about BKK, sorry.

edit: revised directions/typo.

Edited by SimonD

Most local optical shops should have and be able to repair this problem of a missing screw. Whether on that specific day they are interested in doing it "for free" is another question so when I have this type of issue I go in to the store and shop for some small item like the glass cleaner or another item to cover their cost/time to fix. I have had screws replaced and the nylon fish line that secures the lens to the frame replaced several times for "free". Also, when the screws are replaced and adjusted take some of the GF's nail polish and place a drop on the screw head and let it dry and this will act as a form of lock tite to help keep the screw from backing out again.

I have been looking for a shop in Thailand that either sells spare parts or repairs damaged glasses for more than 10 years with no luck. If anyone finds one I would love to know about it cos I have 3 pairs of broken glasses sitting at home, one of them only 1 month old.

I have been looking for a shop in Thailand that either sells spare parts or repairs damaged glasses for more than 10 years with no luck. If anyone finds one I would love to know about it cos I have 3 pairs of broken glasses sitting at home, one of them only 1 month old.

Jeesh, maybe I should set up shop somewhere. I was a licensed optician back in the US for 10 years. I used to make custom lenses onsite and sell and repair frames also. It really is a dying art, repairing eyeglass frames. But some old glasses are antiques and rare, so must be repaired properly. I have been very disappointed with the lack of quality opticians and shops here in Bangkok after the last several years of searching. I mean, they don't even have the proper examining equipment. In the US, a licensed optician could give basic eye exams and provide prescriptions for eyeglasses and contacts, but could not diagnose any other conditions nor prescribe any medication. Some of the equipment used here is more than 10 years old, and I have not found a shop with good, modern equipment. They don't even know what I am talking about when I ask. Shame really, the quality of care available in Bangkok.

Jeesh, maybe I should set up shop somewhere. I was a licensed optician back in the US for 10 years. I used to make custom lenses onsite and sell and repair frames also. It really is a dying art, repairing eyeglass frames. But some old glasses are antiques and rare, so must be repaired properly. I have been very disappointed with the lack of quality opticians and shops here in Bangkok after the last several years of searching. I mean, they don't even have the proper examining equipment. In the US, a licensed optician could give basic eye exams and provide prescriptions for eyeglasses and contacts, but could not diagnose any other conditions nor prescribe any medication. Some of the equipment used here is more than 10 years old, and I have not found a shop with good, modern equipment. They don't even know what I am talking about when I ask. Shame really, the quality of care available in Bangkok.

Lack of quality anything in Bangkok, with the exception orf dentists strangely enough.

• 4 months later...

I'm not sure about the accuracy of the above account. I had a couple of pairs of older eyeglasses that had lost their hinge screws, and went around looking/checking at numerous eyeglass shops around BKK and none of those said they had screws to repair my own eyeglasses.

Finally, I did find one shop that has a good selection of screws for eyeglass repairs and took care of my broken pairs for little charge. The shop is called Better Vision on the ground floor of the Sukhumvit Plaza center near Sukhumvit Soi 12. Their business card says they're closed on Monday. Phone is 02 253 5422.

FYI, as a warning, I also had the optician there update some of my eyeglass lenses while I was there, and the guy, while very nice, did a very poor job of getting the correct prescription readings. So I'd confine my future business with the shop in handling simple repairs, and leaving lens orders to a real optometrist.

Do not use Top Charon! A friend had the same problem and in replacing the screw they managed to snap the frame then charged him for a new frame!!

I disagree - I lost the nose pad and the screw to fit it in, and I went into a random Top Charoen Optical and asked about getting it fixed. They asked if I had bought them at a Top Charoen before, which I said yes (true) and they repaired it, realigned it and cleaned them for free. They really had no way of knowing if they were legit Top Charoen or not, but they were all happy and serviced it for free.

It seems to me that the same would go for many glasses stores, just because their customer service is usually top notch (I also got orange juice while waiting) and are 99% of the time empty. They're just glad to do SOMETHING.