I Have "tile Foot"

anothertorres

my left foot routinely becomes painful to walk flat-footed on. an hour later, no problem, can walk just fine. but it would seem that once a day i step on that foot and get a dull, but wide-area pain in the center of my foot just below my toes.

if it helps, i am a young and thin 36 and i my first routine of everyday is walking my dog. sometimes directly out of bed, my foot will hurt. i've read about 'Plantar Fasciitis' but it just doens't seem to my problem.

anyone else have/had this problem?

I'm not a medico but I do a lot of waliking, not barefoot I'll admit, however if I do have a problem with my ambulatory system it is always the right side. I'd hazard a guess that sometime in the distant past you've injured your left foot, however minor it may have seemed at the time, somehow. I always put my problems down to a wrench I put on my right knee many years agot. The body has an inbuilt mechanism to protect the vulnerable parts and we have little knowledge of it's workings.

Sounds like a Morton's Neuroma. That is a condition where the nerve is pinched and irritated. It's most common between 2 and 3rd toes but can be anywhere and increases with age.

Basically it's often caused because the arch muscles of the foot are flattened. There is an inner and outter arch of foot and if they become weak then the foot flattens and space between metatarsal bones narrows and can pinch the nerve.

It's helpful to get orthotics for your shoes as well as do foot arch strengthening exercises and stretching the hamstrings.

Some people get a cortisone shot to help healing process. If you don't remedy the cause of weak and tight muscles then it just comes back. Some people even resort to getting a surgery where the enlarged nerve is removed. You would then lose feeling between those two toes and the recoverey is about a month.

Google Morton's Neuroma and let us know if it sounds like your symptoms.

my left foot routinely becomes painful to walk flat-footed on. an hour later, no problem, can walk just fine. but it would seem that once a day i step on that foot and get a dull, but wide-area pain in the center of my foot just below my toes.

if it helps, i am a young and thin 36 and i my first routine of everyday is walking my dog. sometimes directly out of bed, my foot will hurt. i've read about 'Plantar Fasciitis' but it just doens't seem to my problem.

It's possible that it's caused by tightened tendons; probably your Achilles / Hamstring. Above a certain age (I think around 25) if you don't do enough of the right type of exercise your leg tendons continually shorten. (I am assuming that you are male - this doesn't apply to women.) Regular stretching can help but resistance exercises covering the full range of your major leg joints (i.e. Quads as well as Hamstrings) is better.

Having said that; if you are at all unsure, or if you don't normally exercise regularly, you should visit a foot doctor.

the feet are the gateway to your internal organs,you could check a reflexology chart to pinpoint what organs the part of the foot that gives you pain relates too.just another idea(no pun intended)

Sounds like a Morton's Neuroma. That is a condition where the nerve is pinched and irritated. It's most common between 2 and 3rd toes but can be anywhere and increases with age.

Basically it's often caused because the arch muscles of the foot are flattened. There is an inner and outter arch of foot and if they become weak then the foot flattens and space between metatarsal bones narrows and can pinch the nerve.

It's helpful to get orthotics for your shoes as well as do foot arch strengthening exercises and stretching the hamstrings.

Some people get a cortisone shot to help healing process. If you don't remedy the cause of weak and tight muscles then it just comes back. Some people even resort to getting a surgery where the enlarged nerve is removed. You would then lose feeling between those two toes and the recoverey is about a month.

Google Morton's Neuroma and let us know if it sounds like your symptoms.

Thanks mate, think you have just answered a question I was planning on asking the quack about....It appears this is what I have in both feet...and confirm it, when I do, do excercise and stretch the hamstrings, it does feel a lot better....

See who said TV was full of useless information.... :)

See who said TV was full of useless information.... :)

I have nothing medically to add to this but here's some useless information you requested!

I saw this thread title yesterday and thought about it A LOT when I was wandering about some temples today with hundreds of other barefooted patrons. Looking at their and my dirty feet I was thinking to myself "so this what that guy on TV was talking about, I hope I don't get 'tile foot' too from this, I must read his thread to see what's it's all about".

So here I am and to my relief you were talking about something completely different. True story.

I am sorry for your pain though. :D

Back to the tile aspect.

In America I lived in a townhouse that had 2 of 3 levels carpeted.

Now I have a townhouse with wood floors and my feet are often a bit sore, and I think it is due to walking on such a hard surface all of the time.

Yes, I had this problem when I first moved to Thailand, after living in a temperate climate where I usually had shoes on outdoors and also some footwear indoors on carpeted floors. I eventually realised it was from walking barefeet indoors on tiled floors (living areas) and wood parquetry (bedroom). Now I always wear slippers indoors...never had the problem again. I think walking on hard surface without any footwear may be a tad too intense for the old feet.

Thanks for the info.

What, foot arch strengthening exercises?

How do you do them.

Also, hamstring stretches help the feet?

TIA.

Have just caught up on backlog of postings; Over 90% of the time any leg / foot pain is relayed pain from your lower back. Back problems more than likely caused from walking bare footed now as an adult (kids u/10 will never get this problem) & different lying patterns; ie. different mattress, wooden floor etc. Can easily solve the problem by wearing slipper or thongs inside, (something with a reasonably firm sole) and stretching exercises.

Stand on the first step of stairs or similar with only your toes and first 3cm of sole, the rest of your foot must be haning over the edge. Every morning do 3 sets of 10 stretches per leg by pushing down on the heel. Alternate the legs and only push as far as feeling of a slight pain. You will notice within short time that you will be able to push down further without pain. 1-2 min break between sets.

Next stand facing the wall & place hands on the wall, straighten arms, open legs as far as you wish to be comfortable and then push back from the hips. If done right you should feel joints cracking in your back. This could be slight or a lot depends how loose your body is. My body is tight as i'm 60 & been doing these exercises for eternity, lucky to feel 1 or 2 cracks but does the job. Better than any massage (straight massage that is)Last but not least, stand straight, hands by your side and push down on 1 arm then the other. Alternate arms 10 each side. Take care not to drop your shoulders. Best of Luck, you'll be running a marathon next.

Yaksa (ex medico)( these exercises can be done any time 3 -4 times a day)