Sukhothai

jasreeve17

I was lucky enough to spend the last few days in Sukhothai on an archaeological field trip.

It was very interesting comparing the Tai / Lanna style Buddhas with the Khymer influenced Buddhas from Lopburi and Ayudthaya. Even going back as far as the 12th century the beauty and simplicity of the Sukhothai art was in stark contrast to the fussier Hindu (funnily enough...) inspired art from the South East kingdoms.

It also struck me that the Sukhothai art was about Buddhism. Whereas the Lopburi / Ayudthaya art was, even at that early stage, linking Buddhism with; power, offerings (i.e. money), the symbol of one man's power to rule, etc... Luckily for me, a history lecturer from Thammasart was also on the trip, so I had a couple of interesting discussions.

It was abit wierd because Hindu influences were present in some of the Sukhothai temples, but it's highly possible that these elements were added later during the early Rama period after the Khymer influences had taken very strong roots across most of present day Thailand.

The notion that the Sukhothai period was superceded by the Ayudthaya period is, of course, false - they were seperate kingdoms that mostly overlapped with regards to time, and neighboured with regards to land.

IMO, Sukhothai is very much more impressive with regards to the Buddhist images and art. I'd be interested in other people's thoughts:

I'd like to add that:

Sukhothai is a great place for Loy Kratong...

I stayed in a guesthouse directly opposite the main park gates for 400 baht. An excellent aircon room with hot shower and tv (300 baht for a fan room, 150 baht for a room with shared bathroom). This was a really nice place, modern and clean, not backpacker bargain basement...

If anyone is wondering what to do next week, you probably couldn't do much better than popping to Sukhothai for the festival (starting on Thursday) and the great museaum / national park. Very friendly local people and cheap. If I wasn't working next week I'd be there, truly.

That's the end of my piece for TOT... :)

I was lucky enough to spend the last few days in Sukhothai on an archaeological field trip.

It also struck me that the Sukhothai art was about Buddhism. Whereas the Lopburi / Ayudthaya art was, even at that early stage, linking Buddhism with; power, offerings (i.e. money), the symbol of one man's power to rule, etc... Luckily for me, a history lecturer from Thammasart was also on the trip, so I had a couple of interesting discussions.

The notion that the Sukhothai period was superceded by the Ayudthaya period is, of course, false - they were seperate kingdoms that mostly overlapped with regards to time, and neighboured with regards to land.

IMO, Sukhothai is very much more impressive with regards to the Buddhist images and art. I'd be interested in other people's thoughts:

I agree with you that there is something really special about a visit to Sukhothai...for me, more rewarding than a visit to Ayutthaya.

I'm not sure that I agree with you regarding Sukhothai and Ayutthaya as being quite so distinct. Although they were "kingdoms", I actually think it's more accurate to describe them (particularly Sukhothai) as city states dominated -- in both cases -- by ethnic Tai. While its history is a bit clouded, it's my impression that the modern Thai language does date from the Sukhothai era and that it evolved through the era of Ayutthaya. Theravada Buddhism was dominant in both.

Ayutthaya has been far too cynically exploited by tourism for my liking.

There's another site quite near Sukhothai, the name escapes me as it was long ago that I visited, which in a way is more interesting. Not so well looked after as Sukhothai, but I was the only one visiting when I went there.

There's another site quite near Sukhothai, the name escapes me as it was long ago that I visited, which in a way is more interesting. Not so well looked after as Sukhothai, but I was the only one visiting when I went there.

Si Satchanalai?

Si Satchanalai?

Ah,indeed so. Thanks. :)