I Was (nearly) Denied Checking In - On My Return Flight From Brisbane To Bangkok

I have been challenged for return ticket several times now when checking in for Bangkok in London, even though I have multiple re-entry immigrant visa for Thailand. Even Thai Airways check -in staff overseas don't understand the Thai visa system and it is quite painful explaining to them that the visa means you are resident in Thailand and will therefore never be asked for a return ticket by Thai Immigration. I would certainly advise carrying a work permit, residence certificate or such like for this purpose. For those on tourist visas, it probalby is best to get a refundable ticket out of Thailand if travelling back from outside Asia, as these checks now seem quite frequent in Western airports.

Some check-in staff just don’t know their job. I had a single-entry non-O visa, a confirmed and paid return flight within 90 days, but the inexperienced check-in person at Milan Malpensa still was reluctant to give me a boarding pass. So in the end I just stood there and said nothing more, figuring that it was not my job to train her.

--

Maestro

Appologies but enough shogdit lurking about in this!

Upon booking any non European Union flight from the UK with any tourist operator, they are obliged to question visa status if your intent of stay exceeds 30 days, once you state you hold a non immigrant or work permit visa for in this instance Thailand yadayada, they take the booking, however everything is conversation recorded electronicaly. They then gladly take your money.

The job of the check in personal at the airport then re checks everything again once you hand your ticket and passport. If he/she finds fault or a possible floor, not only is he/she liable to a bollocking if they fail to spot the problem but the airline will not only face expensive penalties but also increased landing charges applicable to just about every other future passengers pockets that travels there on.

Nearly being refused and being refused is a massive difference.

If you want to return to Thailand (ie not in direct transit) do what the rest of us do and buy a non-o visa and face the facts in thailand their rules are if you want to drive or ride here get a Thai licence and stop making life harder for ones self than required.

Non-o visa does not require return ticket to homeland or former destination.

To end my tap at this, if the poor lad in the original post had a bad experience, then thats a shame, time to time we all have them, however he/she arrived here eventually it seems.

In comparrison to entering the US or Aussie, this place is a walk through!

This is normal for me. I buy a round trip ticket from BKK and I always get the check in person that has never gone overseas and doesn't have a clue. So I just take the extra time to deal with the crap I know is going to hit the fan. So far the non imm. multi entry B has kept me coming back but it sure gets old having to deal with it. :)

You should not have to buy a non immigrant visa - any visa allows one way travel to Thailand and that fact is clearly evident in the IATA database the airlines use for checking. Only if you plan to use visa exempt entry do you need to worry about 30 day exit ticket.

What is not so clear at first glance is re-entry permit use - and I had to take that to supervisor level at Seattle one time. But if you show the re-entry permit and the extension of stay stamp most will get the idea.

And I know from a friend that Washington *does* indeed ask to see your airline ticket when applying for a tourist visa -- along with proof of money in a bank account. Wonder if they want to see multiple round-trip tickets if you apply for a 2 or 3 entry tourist visa.......?

They do here in HCMC, ticket but not money, but didn't ask for it in Seoul, and yes if you want a multi entry visa they want to see all supporting tickets.

I had this problem once when flying from Vancouver to Bangkok together with my Thai wife and two dual citizen children. After raising enough of a fuss, the airline let me sign a document releasing them of any responsibility should I be refused entry. Of course, one could always have an Asia Airways or Bangkok Airways e-ticket (one way) to Phnom Penh on you ($90 or so and can be fully refundable).

Some Mid-East airlines demand to see work permits these days - I take mine every time I go to the UK now....

Surely thats overkill. Anyone can enter Thailand on a one way ticket if they have a tourist visa.

How much would be lost if one were to purchase a ticket (i.e. Bkk-Phnom Penh) and then claim a refund?

Yes but the last time I applied for a tourist visa in Singapore you had to show an onward ticket or evidence of funds (S$1,000 cash) in order to get the visa

This is about meeting entry requirements - not about proof of residence. A visa or proof of exit ticket during a permitted visa exempt entry. The airlines have no knowledge of a 'yellow' book and no interest in it. And such a book does not provide the holder any right to be in Thailand or reside there.

I had a problem in Brisbane last month with my Thai re-entry visa and no onward ticket flying Thai International.

Basically the ‘check in’ guy was not familiar with it, he called over his supervisor who knew exactly what to look for in my passport and she showed him my OA visa and explained to him how the re-entry system worked. They both apologised for holding me up to which I responded that I was happy to help out with the guys training and I was.

Makes life easier for the next punter.

I had a problem in Brisbane last month with my Thai re-entry visa and no onward ticket flying Thai International.

Basically the ‘check in’ guy was not familiar with it, he called over his supervisor who knew exactly what to look for in my passport and she showed him my OA visa and explained to him how the re-entry system worked. They both apologised for holding me up to which I responded that I was happy to help out with the guys training and I was.

Makes life easier for the next punter.

its good to read these posts as l am flying to Brisbane next weekend and returning 2 weeks later ,, l have non-o visa plus extension plus re-entry permit , but at least l am forwarned that l might have a hassle on my return ,,, thanks guys

cheers

egg

This is about meeting entry requirements - not about proof of residence. A visa or proof of exit ticket during a permitted visa exempt entry. The airlines have no knowledge of a 'yellow' book and no interest in it. And such a book does not provide the holder any right to be in Thailand or reside there.

Agreed but I was referring to an additionnal paper to the visa. The Yellow book is proof that you own property in Thailand and therefore add to your credibility and means of support while in Thailand, doesn't it?