Daytime Beginners Thai Lanauge Corse In Bkk?

HalfSquat

Good day,

I would like to start taking lessons in Thai.

Does anyone know of any beginners courses that run in the day during the week (no weekends)?

I would like to attend two per week. I have seen daytime courses but you are required to attend five days a week and I cannot fit that in.

Something like Monday and Wednesday afternoon would be great.

Near a BTS would be good or even better would be near Chongnonsi/Yannawa areas.

Thanks.

Good day,

I would like to start taking lessons in Thai.

Does anyone know of any beginners courses that run in the day during the week (no weekends)?

I would like to attend two per week. I have seen daytime courses but you are required to attend five days a week and I cannot fit that in.

Something like Monday and Wednesday afternoon would be great.

Near a BTS would be good or even better would be near Chongnonsi/Yannawa areas.

Thanks.

HalfSquat,

Some people like the system, some don't, but there are two benefits to the AUA system; cost (it is amongst the cheapest per hour) and it has to be number 1 for flexiblility of attendance (you chose what days, and what hours you wish to attend, as few or many as you want in a day with as few or as many breaks as you want). And a free lesson to see if you like it.

If you can get 5 days a week and can handle an intensive course I would suggest a Union style school (like AAA Thai Language school at Chidlom) but if not, then AUA is a different and flexible style that is a gentle intoduction, and better then some other 2/3 day programmes that operate on an ED visa sales basis.

Better still, if you can afford it, would be private lessons at one of the 'good' schools. Look for "genuine" student recommendations, not company sales posts. ( Softwater, Rikker, Tod-daniels, and others , have given some good advice though out many posts in the forum(s).

Hope this is of some help.

ST.

Edited by Scottish Thailander

I'd be interested to find an answer to this too.

Most of the good schools can accomodate part-time teaching if you want one-on-one (and if you can afford it, the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages IMHO, but maybe that's my learning style). The problem is that most of those schools won't be able to offer you a tutor in the afternoon until after 4.30pm as their teachers and rooms are usually tied up running the all-day intensive programs till 4pm. If you do find a school that can offer lessons earlier in the day but on a 2-day/wk basis I'd be really interested to know where.

As scottishthailander says, one school that does offer this is AUA. And they are cheap (tho' not without reason). I've commented elsewhere on TV (trawl through Pinned: 'Best Thai Language Schools if you really want to know!) about what I think of AUAs method both in practice (having tried it) and in theory (being a language teacher). Suffice to say, I wouldn't go there personally but there's no harm in taking them up on the free lesson (just don't buy into the unsupported claims in the leaflet). As ST says, some people do indeed like it.

Edited by SoftWater

In Sukhumvit we have classes twice a week for 3 lessons starting at 1 pm till 3.50 pm. Classes are for beginners. We offer one week free trial ( you do not pay if you do not enroll) so it is totally risk free. If you do not like you just move one and look for another school.

At other schools it might be more difficult to find afternoon classes.

Walen School

Sorry for being a dunce macwalen but I had a look on the Walen schedule page and am a little confused.

http://www.thaiwalen.com/schedules.php

When you say '3 lessons' does that mean you pick one of the 3 lessons that day and attend that lesson?

So from "3 days a week, 3 lessons a day" I could pick one of the three lessons on each of the three days or do I have to do all three lessons on all of the three days?

Monday, Wednesday, Friday 10.00-12.50

13.00-15.50

Basically I am not free Tuesdays and Friday so would like something in the daytime on Monday, Wednesday and/or Thursday.

Thanks.

Hi HalfSquat

If it says 3 lessons a day it means 3 lessons a day. If you come just for one lesson and leave you will still be charged for 3 lessons. We have many schedules, you can chose one that fits you best. Unfortunately we do not have Monday, Wednesday, Thursday option.

Just to help other students, what specifically was confusing for you? This is the first time I hear someone saying our schedules are confusing so perhaps we can improve something as there might be other potential students who do not understand it.

Walen School

I just thought 3 lessons a day meant there where 3 lessons running that day that you could pick from.

Personally I would just list it as 1 lesson even if in reality it is broken into three chunk.

But as no one has mentioned it I'm sure it's just me!

Unfortunately I can't really make any of them which is a shame.

Don't worry, circumstances change all the time and Walen is not going anywhere any time soon so we will be happy to see you whenever you are able to join.

I am thinking about maybe adding some note that says it is 3 lessons a day and you cannot attend just one lesson without losing the remaining two, but as I said never had anybody mention it before.

Walen School

If your learning style is like mine, that is...no homework, no tests, no memorization...then AUA is probably a good choice. I've made good progress at AUA in the last six months, and I expect that progress to continue. After failing to learn either German or Russian using traditional structured methods, I find the AUA method a breath of fresh air. It will likely please you if you prefer to just jump in and absorb a subject in a (more or less) real context rather than to use traditional classroom methods.

ZZ

Thanks. I do like the sound of AUA but my main problem (well one of them) with my attempts to learn is my pronunciation. I think I really need to be able to speak Thai and have a Thai teacher correct what I am saying.

When I'm out and about and try speaking what little I've learnt no one has a clue what I'm saying!

If your learning style is like mine, that is...no homework, no tests, no memorization...then AUA is probably a good choice. I've made good progress at AUA in the last six months, and I expect that progress to continue. After failing to learn either German or Russian using traditional structured methods, I find the AUA method a breath of fresh air. It will likely please you if you prefer to just jump in and absorb a subject in a (more or less) real context rather than to use traditional classroom methods.

ZZ

I am interested in how you measure 'good progress'? What can you do now that you couldn't do six months ago? You say correctly that there is no homework, tests or memorization at AUA - there is also no practice, at least in the beginners' stages.

Presumably after 6 months you are now in the speaking classes? What methods do they use?

• 2 months later...

AUA is a great place to meet friends and hang out. I still have friends that I met 7 years ago when I attended classes there. However I also know of a number of people that go there for long periods without being able (or even allowed) to speak much thai. Each module is 200 hours so in order to do a module every two months (5 days a week) about 5-6 hours a day. After 5 hours on the first day, you will be toast! Until you complete 3 modules, the instructors don't allow you to speak thai in the classes, which means you will have to go to classes for a minimum of 6 months without being allowed to speak thai.

Put another way, if you attend classes 3 times a week, 2 hours a day, you will take 7-8 months to complete the first module. At this rate, when you've finished 2 years of study, you will be allowed to speak thai in the classes, if you still live in Thailand at that time.

Whereas, if you study thai in one of the more intensive schools such as AAA, Piamitr, Unity, Union, etc., you will be able to speak more thai in 1 or two months than you would after studying at AUA for 2 years. Take your pick!

I would like to add that AUA is definitely a lot more fun than studying at an intensive school. It just depends what you want to get out of your time studying--friends or thai language skills.

Edited by mauiguy90

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry for being a dunce macwalen but I had a look on the Walen schedule page and am a little confused.

http://www.thaiwalen.com/schedules.php

When you say '3 lessons' does that mean you pick one of the 3 lessons that day and attend that lesson?

So from "3 days a week, 3 lessons a day" I could pick one of the three lessons on each of the three days or do I have to do all three lessons on all of the three days?

Monday, Wednesday, Friday 10.00-12.50

13.00-15.50

Basically I am not free Tuesdays and Friday so would like something in the daytime on Monday, Wednesday and/or Thursday.

Thanks.

anyone want to learn Thai language online with me , you just teach me English I will teach you Thai ,:)

Just to help other students, what specifically was confusing for you?

Here’s a suggestion. For starters, how about calling them HOURS instead of lessons? That's what they basically are; after you pay tuition and get a credit of X hours, but you refer to them as LESSONS, and it can seem very misleading, (although not any more so than any other school doing it as well :D ).

What mac's saying is they have a 3 HOUR class (really 150 minutes of class time given you have 2-10 minute breaks and get out 10 minutes early too), and even if you don't stay the full 3 hours you're still 'charged' (your credit hours are deducted for the 3 lessons, errr hours err whatever :) ). That's the problem with schools selling what are in reality 'hours of class time' yet calling them LESSONS, it just is confusing.

Last time I checked the Ministry of Education has NO minimum 'lessons' a student must attend only minimum HOURS. It’s similar to offering a ‘free E/D visa”; when in reality you offer the support documentation for free, but it is the students’ responsibility and expense as well to secure such a visa. There in lies the confusion of both the E/D visa lingo, and each schools lingo when referring to their lessons, hours, packages, etc. :D

BACK ON TOPIC:[/b]

FWIW; AUA has put a LOT of videos up on You Tube hawking their revolutionary ALG (Automatic Language Growth) method of learning thai. Here's the link;

http://www.youtube.com/user/algworld

I think it's a good adjunct if you already understand basic spoken thai, as it certainly increases your listening comprehension. In my opinion though, for a brand new beginner; other than being cheap as chips to go and being able to go when you want to, I see very little "bang-4-the-baht" early on and have never met someone who attended there the 600 hours and was speaking thai with any proficiency, then again I don't hang around that school and probably should go down there this coming week to scope it out, sit another free lesson, and talk to currently enrolled students in the cafeteria.

If you're not in need of the E/D visa and want private lessons; send me a P/M and I'll put you in touch with some talented thai teachers who work at various and sundry thai language schools but teach privately as well.

Nope it is the same AUA that teaches engrish, they just also teach thai to foreigners, albeit with a whacky method. .. :D

FWIW: I will state that cost-wise AUA is by FAR the cheapest thai language school going, and with the number of hours they have class every day, it is also the most convenient to attend, easily being able to accommodate a busy work schedule.

I will go this week and 'spy' on them as it's been a while and I want to scope it out again. :D

I still say AFTER you can understand basic spoken thai: AUA provides a valuable service in getting your comprehension in spoken thai up to a higher level, BUT with that being said: I have NEVER EVER met someone who attended their mythical 600 hours and spoke anything remotely close to coherent thai, Spoke "2-word-tourist-thai", or poorly structured "horse-peak", yes, but 'real honest to goodness thai', nope. :)

I wait with bated breath to hear from the former illustrious alumni of AUA who are currently speaking tongues, errr thai I mean. .. :D