New Immigration Office

I had the pleasure of renewing my retirement visa and doing my 90 Day report yesterday! I was in and out in just over 1 hour!! That is the shortest time I've done my renewal..EVER!! The new office is easy to get to...I went by city bus #52... and the free shuttle to the immigration office.

The only bad part was when a man did not understand the officer who was calling out numbers to return their passport and 90 Day report. She did it in Thai and this man gave her hel_l for not speaking English. He took it to the extreme and just wouldn't let up with this police officer!! As he turned to walk away, in her best English she said: "This is Thailand!" Not sure if he heard this but everyone else did! So embarrassing for the rest of us sitting there and give expat a bad image!

BUT it was a good experience and the new office is great!! Love the nice coffee shoppes and shoping there also!

I had the pleasure of renewing my retirement visa and doing my 90 Day report yesterday! I was in and out in just over 1 hour!! That is the shortest time I've done my renewal..EVER!! The new office is easy to get to...I went by city bus #52... and the free shuttle to the immigration office.

The only bad part was when a man did not understand the officer who was calling out numbers to return their passport and 90 Day report. She did it in Thai and this man gave her hel_l for not speaking English. He took it to the extreme and just wouldn't let up with this police officer!! As he turned to walk away, in her best English she said: "This is Thailand!" Not sure if he heard this but everyone else did! So embarrassing for the rest of us sitting there and give expat a bad image!

BUT it was a good experience and the new office is great!! Love the nice coffee shoppes and shoping there also!

There is no reason for anyone to be upset with the immigration officers as they have definitly improved their behavior in , let's say, the past 10 years or so.

I am sure everyone remembers this male immigration officer, short, glasses, angry type, who was scolding at the passport holders and looking down on them, refusing to answer their greetings and assuming that the "tourists" were supposed to lick his boots

Thanks God he is not there anymore (at least not where public has access)

Since girls have been brought in, and maybe thanks to the internet I have always felt welcomed (if that is the word) in these offices (I have not been to the new place)

As for our guy, I would like to have the whole story: maybe the numbers were given in Thai (aren't they supposed to appear on screen?) and this why he passed his turn and then was turned away by the immigration officer when he appeared (although that happened to me once and she eventaully took my papers)

What is bothering me is that, apart from the fact there should be a monitor/screen (I might be mistaken), the numbers are called in Thai (then again I might be wrong) but weren't the numbered said in both languages at the old suanplu's office.

I don't know what set the guy up but, without taking sides,it surely be announced in thai end in English as this office adresses foreigners' issues and they do not all speak Thai (mind you neither English) unless there is a sign with the numbers on it.

I am not familiar with the other immigration offices around the world but IO would bet that they do not speak another language than their own when it comes to this situation (Spain, France to name a few)

Pros and cons....well we don't know the full story and there might be some more details which might help

There is no screen at new office (at least not two weeks ago) but numbers were being called in English. But no PA system so if not sitting very close easy to miss. And the person doing this was also the person taking care of computer entry so did not have time to wait as was moving back and forth.