Buying A Jrd Motorbike Bad Experience

GeeWee

About 3 months ago i bought my Girlfriend at the JRD-motorshop 3rd Road Pattaya a JRD "Snow Baby" motorbike. But since we have some problems with the motorbike we went to the shop for repair with must be, in my opinion, for guarantee. The plating was tearing.

But to my bewilderment the (women)manager of the shop told us we have no guarantee on the motorbike because it was cheap priced. I payed 21.000 bath for the motorbike. On my question why she didn't tell me when I bought the motorbike she only smiled and refused talking to me.

So my advise; never buy a motorbike in the JRD-motorshop, Pattaya.

Anybody have some experience with the JRD motorbike-shop in Pattaya ?

geewee. most people after looking at a JRD would not buy one because they are crap. Certainly the worst made bikes currently available in Thailand. Sorry to hear about your problem. If it was sold new then maybe try the municipal office see if they can recommend any thing.

About 3 months ago i bought my Girlfriend at the JRD-motorshop 3rd Road Pattaya a JRD "Snow Baby" motorbike. But since we have some problems with the motorbike we went to the shop for repair with must be, in my opinion, for guarantee. The plating was tearing.

But to my bewilderment the (women)manager of the shop told us we have no guarantee on the motorbike because it was cheap priced. I payed 21.000 bath for the motorbike. On my question why she didn't tell me when I bought the motorbike she only smiled and refused talking to me.

Look in the dictionary for the definition of sympathy, its between s--t and syphilis. Anyone that buys a JRD is brain dead. If you had done your home work you would not have wasted 21k. Good luck. :)

geewee. most people after looking at a JRD would not buy one because they are crap. Certainly the worst made bikes currently available in Thailand. Sorry to hear about your problem. If it was sold new then maybe try the municipal office see if they can recommend any thing.

It was indeed a brand new motorbike. Can you give me the adress of the municipal office ?

The plating was tearing.

What does that mean?! :)

There is some truth to the saying, "You get what you pay for" :D:D:D

Unfortunately that seems to be right in this case, a look at who JRD is prior to buying would have prevented this, but with 21000 thb for a bike. some may get the "it's cheap- you can't do wrong -nor loose much" approach.If i was you i do the following (besides of the municipal office visit)

1) Try to get the current problems sorted

2) Sell it

3) Buy another bike but you will have to top off a bit, some good deals can be had from Suzuki, Yamaha ,Honda & Tiger

4) Be happy :-)

TSBC

The plating was tearing.

Assume he means the chrome is pretty much spray on chrome over plastic..

I have seen 10's of these bought by people on the cheap, and all of them have rotten into the ground within a year or two.

Buying a new bike and not asking what the warranty period is ??? And we sometimes say Thais are daft !

The plating was tearing.

Unfortunately that seems to be right in this case, a look at who JRD is prior to buying would have prevented this, but with 21000 thb for a bike. some may get the "it's cheap- you can't do wrong -nor loose much" approach.If i was you i do the following (besides of the municipal office visit)

1) Try to get the current problems sorted

2) Sell it

3) Buy another bike but you will have to top off a bit, some good deals can be had from Suzuki, Yamaha ,Honda & Tiger

4) Be happy :-)

TSBC

Throw the JRD away, and buy a Honda or Yamaha they will last forever, have a warranties and decent resale value, unfortunately you were duped like many other people so don't feel too bad. Put it behind you and move on, we can't all be experts. JRDs manage to be less than the sum of their parts and are truly awful machines. Do not buy a Tiger, not far behind JRD in the quality department. Chok Dee Na :D

Oh no, they are not.

That title must certainly go to Platinum bikes :)

I'm not sure about the current crop of JRD's, but some friends bought bikes from them, automatic scooters, before the Honda Click/Mio/Fino fad kicked in (so that must be some 6 years ago), and they are still going strong!

"Do not buy a Tiger, not far behind JRD in the quality department"

Sk1max I totally disagree about the above comment. maybe 3,4,5 years ago that was relevant but now Tiger have improved the quality immensely also they DO provide a very good warranty service, 2 years on most models, I have been to the factory and seen the bikes coming off the production line.

So "we can't all be experts" is very true. myself included AS MONTY'S POST PROVES:D

GEEWEE. You could try doing a google search for JRD and contact the JRD Import company to see if they will honour a warranty. Good luck

Edited by thaicbr

Throw the JRD away, and buy a Honda or Yamaha they will last forever, have a warranties and decent resale value, unfortunately you were duped like many other people so don't feel too bad. Put it behind you and move on, we can't all be experts. JRDs manage to be less than the sum of their parts and are truly awful machines. Do not buy a Tiger, not far behind JRD in the quality department. Chok Dee Na :)

Hi sk1max,

please elaborate on your comment. What makes you say that? Have you first hand experience or do you know someone who has major QC issues with Tiger?

I'm asking because I want to buy a Tiger bike.

Next week, I'll follow ThaiCBR's steps and visit the factory for a test ride. It is very important that we are honest and blatantly frank with regards to Quality Control or other issues. Take my 1992 BMW R 100 R, it's WW II Bing carbs and > 7 liter / 100 km fuel consumption even when riding slowly and the engine loving 100 octane Super (available in Germany) was a constant sore point. In addition, I really disliked the BMW panniers. That said, I am partial to that bike. Name a spade a spade when it is justified!

Chris

People jumping to the defence of tiger and using the tiger top end models as reference would do well to look at the build quality on thier cheap scooters, the joker etc.

Those tiger machines had the same rot and fail rates as many other in that kind of price, the platinum and JRD type cheapies.

Irrespective of how crap or cheap the bike is I refuse to believe they don't offer some sort of warranty. Bloody hel_l. A 700 baht DVD player gives you a year's one. I bought a cheap as chips ethernet adapter and got 3 years. I doubt there's not a new electrical or mechanical product in the world sold through a dealer that doesn't offer a warranty even if it was made in some Bangladeshi sweatshop for the price of a cup of tea. If we step outside the fact that we're foreigners how many bikes would JRD sell to locals if they didn't offer a warranty? It'd be all over Thai language motoring press/ forums etc. They'd go bust IMHO.

Anyhow according to this old thread there is a warranty.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Jrd-Motor-Cycles-t43269.html

She smiled and refused to talk to you?

With all do respects OP grow a pair and go down there until she does talk to you. Don't make it easy on her.

Edited by mca

Your girlfriend actually let you buy her a JRD ? If I tried that I'd be slapped and then marched down to the Honda shop. :)

She smiled and refused to talk to you?

The girlfriend or the shopkeeper ?

Edited by sibeymai

"Do not buy a Tiger, not far behind JRD in the quality department"

Sk1max I totally disagree about the above comment. maybe 3,4,5 years ago that was relevant but now Tiger have improved the quality immensely also they DO provide a very good warranty service, 2 years on most models, I have been to the factory and seen the bikes coming off the production line.

So "we can't all be experts" is very true. myself included AS MONTY'S POST PROVES:D

GEEWEE. You could try doing a google search for JRD and contact the JRD Import company to see if they will honour a warranty. Good luck

I already send a email (twice) to

JRD Bright Motor Industries Co. Ltd.

188, Moo 4, T. Tachang, Amphur Bangklam

90110 Songkhla, Thailand.

Tel : +66-74457484 / 74457485 / 74457486

Fax : +66-74457383

E-mail : [email protected]

but till now no response, not even a confirmation that they had received my email. so this is really a example of a very bad company. so, i don't know what to do now. anybody has suggestions ?

People jumping to the defence of tiger and using the tiger top end models as reference would do well to look at the build quality on thier cheap scooters, the joker etc.

Those tiger machines had the same rot and fail rates as many other in that kind of price, the platinum and JRD type cheapies.

The Tiger Joker is an older Bike and i seen quite a few here well over 60000km on the clock-doens't look bad to me..

The retro is a cheap and new scooter from tiger -wait up for the posts on those bikes before talkin c#@p here. I mean who are you to tell us over rot and fail??? Are you "Mr. I-know-it all" but just post hearsay? Low quality of what you posted thats for sure :) !

TSBC

Livin... I did comment on bikes you can buy NOW, not old discountinued models.

All bikes sold now are produced in the Tiger factory and carry a 2 year full warranty. Yes Tiger had a problem with poor plastic etc in the past, but thats where the problems are in the past.

But then the big 4 have had problems over the years, especially when they outsourced certain parts.

Mbox recently purchased 2 Retro's so yes we will see how they hold up. I may get one as well just undecided wether to teach the girlfriend to ride a larger bike or not :)

Allan

The Tiger Joker is an older Bike and i seen quite a few here well over 60000km on the clock-doens't look bad to me..

The retro is a cheap and new scooter from tiger -wait up for the posts on those bikes before talkin c#@p here. I mean who are you to tell us over rot and fail??? Are you "Mr. I-know-it all" but just post hearsay? Low quality of what you posted thats for sure :) !

TSBC

I hate to descredit motorcycles such as Tiger, they have made some shocking bikes. JRD Platinum (what's the difference really?) are rubbish, sure some people have a decent experience, are trained mechanics or are use to fixing the crap they buy, Tiger may be better now but WHY O Why take the chance? Honda makes some of the best machines in the world, Yamaha Kawasaki Suzuki etc are all huge manufacturers of machinery. This forum is to give constuctive advice, buy a recognised brand would be my advice. So go ahead and by a Tiger if you like, that's your right as a consumer, I wish you with the very best of luck. :D

All bikes sold now are produced in the Tiger factory and carry a 2 year full warranty. Yes Tiger had a problem with poor plastic etc in the past, but thats where the problems are in the past.

But then the big 4 have had problems over the years, especially when they outsourced certain parts.

Mbox recently purchased 2 Retro's so yes we will see how they hold up. I may get one as well just undecided wether to teach the girlfriend to ride a larger bike or not :)

Allan

Allan,you are quite right, they older bikes maybe were not so good but i still see those jokers around ( not that i like their look really but they still run)

I have been told that the Tiger Bikes have 3 yrs & 30000km warranty-also on their english website mentioned.

TSBC

SK1MAX... HOW COULD ANY NEW COMPANY OPERATE IF EVERY BODY HAD THE SAME CLOSED THINKING AS YOU.

How would Microsoft or Apple ever have gotten out of the garage if everyone had continued buying IBM. Indeed many smaller companies are making headway's in all different industries. All WE say to people is have a look with open eyes and make a decision. If you are not equip to make a good judgment about what you see (like the OP) then stick with tried and tested.

GeeWee... Companies in Asia rarely answer emails quickly. That's why they have telephones and telephone numbers :)

I already send a email (twice) to

JRD Bright Motor Industries Co. Ltd.

188, Moo 4, T. Tachang, Amphur Bangklam

90110 Songkhla, Thailand.

Tel : +66-74457484 / 74457485 / 74457486

Fax : +66-74457383

E-mail : [email protected]

but till now no response, not even a confirmation that they had received my email. so this is really a example of a very bad company. so, i don't know what to do now. anybody has suggestions ?

You expect a reply to an email you sent to a company that is using a yahoo.com address? :D How long have you been in Thailand? :)

SK1MAX... HOW COULD ANY NEW COMPANY OPERATE IF EVERY BODY HAD THE SAME CLOSED THINKING AS YOU.

How would Microsoft or Apple ever have gotten out of the garage if everyone had continued buying IBM. Indeed many smaller companies are making headway's in all different industries. All WE say to people is have a look with open eyes and make a decision. If you are not equip to make a good judgment about what you see (like the OP) then stick with tried and tested.

GeeWee... Companies in Asia rarely answer emails quickly. That's why they have telephones and telephone numbers :D

So I should buy a machine that I consider to be inferior for what reason? Closed minded? You mean only take advice from people like yourself? Opinions are like ass&*%$@ we all have one and they usually stink! :) Relax my friend. Advice asked for and given.

BTW I don't think much of CBRs either

Edited by sk1max

Allan

If she is the one on your avatar...sure you have to teach her to ride the larger ones. If not, you'll still have a lot of riding ahead :-)

Here is my advice: Purchase a large sledge hammer. Call local TV stations. Drive the JRD to the shop and smash it up with the hammer. Have someone video it and send the tape to the TV stations.

That way, you still get some fun out of your 21k baht, and you are doing a good thing and warn off the 3 Thais who still don't know that JRDs are crap.

Even if yours has only the plating wrong with it at the time, you are pretty much guaranteed lots of mechanical trouble over the next year. Friend of mine had the same model. It spent more time in the shop than on the road. At last, he had the engine repaired, drove off from the mechanic, and the bike caught on fire. Flames coming out and all. He jumped off and ran, and never looked back.

Even if yours has only the plating wrong with it at the time, you are pretty much guaranteed lots of mechanical trouble over the next year. Friend of mine had the same model. It spent more time in the shop than on the road. At last, he had the engine repaired, drove off from the mechanic, and the bike caught on fire. Flames coming out and all. He jumped off and ran, and never looked back.

As the locals ran off gibbering in panic thinking it was "Ghostrider" :)

Nikster - good one!

I heard of a Fiat rust bucket being parked right outside the main dealer. The owner ended up getting a car just to move it :D:)

If JRD plans to stay in business over here, they better do something about the OP's bike!

BTW, what are the specs? How many miles on the clock? Co9uld you take it to BKKm right

to their HQ?

In some Whoopy Goldberg movie, she is scaring some official by playing the "I'm a desperate woman" card.

Many Thais are a bit scared of an angry farang. Borrow some rocker vest, bring some big drinking buddies...

or offer a pint plus a price for the scariest biker dude outfit and invite TV members to tag along :D

Wild eyed and mad as a hornet - at least give it a try!

Good luck!

Chris

post-7704-1256989378_thumb.jpg

post-7704-1256989414_thumb.jpg

post-7704-1256989438_thumb.jpg