Dine For 99, Soi Diana

barnaby666

If you have defective taste buds and you like to fill your stomache with 'food' washed down with a delicous bottle of 'soda water' so that you can save a few baht, then this is the place for you.

Yeah, pretty much, but there is no great shame in being hungry and not rich (much less rare than gilded gourmets actually), so for those who can't always stomach Thai street food, it fills a hole. Frankly, I found the place kind of amusing just for the CC scene alone. I also must admit I kind of like their garlic rolls though they could use a lot more garlic.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have defective taste buds and you like to fill your stomache with 'food' washed down with a delicous bottle of 'soda water' so that you can save a few baht, then this is the place for you.

Yeah, pretty much, but there is no great shame in being hungry and not rich (much less rare than gilded gourmets actually), so for those who can't always stomach Thai street food, it fills a hole. Frankly, I found the place kind of amusing just for the CC scene alone. I also must admit I kind of like their garlic rolls though they could use a lot more garlic.

Agreed - nothing wrong with being on a tight budget. But a lot of people using this type of places are just mean sods :) CC scene ?

Been there once, won't be back.

All you can eat basically consist of:

1) a smallish dish of precooked foodstuffs.

2) when you finish this, an aggressive waitress tries to pull the plates and cutlery from under you with the words "Are you finished?"

3) If you really want more, they will grudgingly produce a scrap of paper on which you can choose 1 small helping which they will bring about 15 minutes later. Bread and Salad (muddy concoction) each also count as one helping. No way to order more, have to wait it out.

4) repeat at step 2) for two times only with the waitresses and the owner sulking in a corner giving out more aggressive glares at every order

5) After this you will have to get up and tear a form out of the unwilling hands of a waitress to repeat at step 4.

Good luck for anyone brave enough to try it for themselves...

Actually the business model should work as you will basically weed out anyone wanting more than the basic plate, so the return visitors may be profitable :)

Edited by Jdietz

I was only there the two times but had no problem whatsoever ordering more food, and the number of orders for the continued ordering was not limited in any way. I don't want to be a shill for this place, the food is not very good overall, but on the other hand there is no need to paint an untrue picture of the place.

I was only there the two times but had no problem whatsoever ordering more food, and the number of orders for the continued ordering was not limited in any way. I don't want to be a shill for this place, the food is not very good overall, but on the other hand there is no need to paint an untrue picture of the place.

Nothing untrue about it, this was my experience on "chicken night", about 4 weeks ago. Everything including the glares and the one-thing-at-a-time reordering forms exactly as described...

maybe it's better on other days or maybe it was better a while back, but I'm unwilling to try again.

My two experiences are more recent than that. Also in no rush to return but may try the Sunday roast night later. In fact on the reordering topic, I ordered an extra garlic roll (on the second order which included something else, never a mention of any kind of limit, and nothing written anywhere in the place about any kind of limit) and they brought me two rolls (more than I could eat). The reason I tried the place in the first place was curiosity, how bad will the food be for that price? For the lasagna night it was better than I thought it would be (and yes I agree it tasted institutional, but remember 99 baht all you can eat) but the kebab night was worse than I expected.

Edited by Jingthing

The place called Sports Bar or similar (it is not a bar) on the right side of Soi Diana coming from 2nd Rd almost at the crossing with Soi Bukhaow. Last time I was there a few months ago breakfast was 105bt. Buffet all you can eat and drink, juice, milk coffe, tea.

I think you will find that it is on the left hand side if coming from Pattaya 2nd Road.

They are doing a daily buffet at 89 Baht and a Sunday Special Carvery at 199 baht.

Check it out!

The place on the left hand side coming from 2nd road is Robins Nest.

Been there in the past for Curry night and the Sunday roast, both prety good but watch the drinks prices.

The other place "sports bar or similar" I dont know, maybe will have to check it out.

Dine for 99 ok for a cheap feed, never had any problems reordering as many item as i wanted, there has always been a stack of the reorder tickets on the table.

Edited by kevkev1888

The place called Sports Bar or similar (it is not a bar) on the right side of Soi Diana coming from 2nd Rd almost at the crossing with Soi Bukhaow. Last time I was there a few months ago breakfast was 105bt. Buffet all you can eat and drink, juice, milk coffe, tea.

I think you will find that it is on the left hand side if coming from Pattaya 2nd Road.

They are doing a daily buffet at 89 Baht and a Sunday Special Carvery at 199 baht.

Check it out!

The place on the left hand side coming from 2nd road is Robins Nest.

Been there in the past for Curry night and the Sunday roast, both prety good but watch the drinks prices.

The other place "sports bar or similar" I dont know, maybe will have to check it out.

Dine for 99 ok for a cheap feed, never had any problems reordering as many item as i wanted, there has always been a stack of the reorder tickets on the table.

You are correct, the place on the left hand side coming from Pattaya Second Road is the Robin's Nest. The place on the right hand side is a bar/restaurant called 'Sports Corner' and they are offering all-you-can-eat meals for 105 baht.

I have not tried it yet, but intend to soon.

Yuk I ain't eating nowhere in this town no more! Especially no 99thb falang joint?!

Well I do go out for Sushi but only at Zen and you pay the price...

Yuk, bigtime! I agree 100%. But, to each his own...

Look- it's a farang restaurant in a good location with high rent, salaries, overhead, etc. offering a 99 baht buffet: What the heck do you expect? Of course, the owner's gonna be a "bottom-line guy" (in this case, many say: dour, surly and driven to earn) who'll offer only as much as it'll take to get people in the door! Volume. volume, volume; money, money, money. Ok, we've all seen it before and... many of us don't mind. That's fine, too. Definitely go there if you like it.

But, an operation like this invites sooooo many negative comments, one wonders if you add them all the together: Do they even really care if you, personally, ever come back?! With this style of business, it's money number 1.... c'est la vie, mon ami.

What to do-

Ok, stop eating. Fine, but not me (and I wouldn't reccommend it, really). Keep eating, man! Just stop eating... there! If you ask me, there are many good restaurants, run by good people, serving good food available all around the greater Pattaya area. You just gotta resign yourself and admit that, around here, finding them is a full-time avocation... (and that's an excellent reason to use Thaivisa.com!)

Good luck (don't stop please... eat well)!

:)

The best nights to go are Tuesday and Wednesday, Chicken night and Burger night.

99 Baht and a drink. I have never had a problem when asking for seconds, thirds, fourths etc.

Khun Syd,

Out of curiousity, would you please explain what you think of (how they make) the different nightly foods, and why you prefer the chicken & burgers? Thanks a lot.

The best nights to go are Tuesday and Wednesday, Chicken night and Burger night.

99 Baht and a drink. I have never had a problem when asking for seconds, thirds, fourths etc.

Khun Syd,

Out of curiousity, would you please explain what you think of (how they make) the different nightly foods, and why you prefer the chicken & burgers? Thanks a lot.

The other nights are pizza, Sunday dinner, pasta, kebab and I forget but they are all horrible. I just prefer my own two nights.

With regards how they make the foods, I think that they just make everything on a large scale and dish it out. It is not a mystery. The minimum cost for a meal is 130 Baht which is 2.50 GBP or $4 and that is probably a fair price for the quality. Let's face it, unless your name is Joey Chestnut or Sonia Thomas you won't eat more than 2 or 3 plates.

Hey just a quick question, is the chef of this "99 baht all you can eat" place , the mechanic which used to own that motorcycle shop(i think was called Platinum or something similar) near the disco?

Yes, and Waiters on Wheels and Pizza Slices and probably a couple more businesses. A real entrepreneur...

Yes, and Waiters on Wheels and Pizza Slices and probably a couple more businesses. A real entrepreneur...

Thank you for the clarification Phil, i meet Bobby sometime ago and seemed to be a friendly chap, well, Pattaya is full of entrepeneurs, have you ever heard about Tony & the dogs, he's my hero! :)

Been there once, won't be back.

All you can eat basically consist of:

1) a smallish dish of precooked foodstuffs.

2) when you finish this, an aggressive waitress tries to pull the plates and cutlery from under you with the words "Are you finished?"

3) If you really want more, they will grudgingly produce a scrap of paper on which you can choose 1 small helping which they will bring about 15 minutes later. Bread and Salad (muddy concoction) each also count as one helping. No way to order more, have to wait it out.

4) repeat at step 2) for two times only with the waitresses and the owner sulking in a corner giving out more aggressive glares at every order

5) After this you will have to get up and tear a form out of the unwilling hands of a waitress to repeat at step 4.

Good luck for anyone brave enough to try it for themselves...

Actually the business model should work as you will basically weed out anyone wanting more than the basic plate, so the return visitors may be profitable :D

I have eaten there several times and I have found exactly the opposite to your experience.

Staff were pleasant and friendly and owner was most often on hand talking to customers. Place is very clean, well lit and inviting. Food is nice and waitresses approached me and asked if I wanted seconds. Waiting time for seconds was no more than 3 to 4 minutes.

During my several visits I saw no unhappy customers and no unhappy staff.

Good place, good food at a cheap price.

Just my opinion but I will return on my next visit in December. :)

An even better deal is the all you can eat breakfast buffet at the Apex, Lek or Dinah hotels for B 110.

I haven't tried the dine for 99 yet,and reading the replies I think it will never happen also,but if you categorize the apex and lek buffets under food then you have real issues.

I saw it on Tv and despite the meat head interviewer doing his best to manage joined up speaking [Pattaya gets what Pattaya deserves] I just about grasped that it was a] open b] cost UPWARDS of the purported 99 baht and; c] was popular.

I went.

Before I commence my 'review' my credentials are merely those of an amateur engaged in a life time's research. I have dined at the 'Ivy', which refused Britney, I have dined where Marco Pierre made the cakes [!], I have dined at the award winning road side cafe and I have dined on the finest and foulest throughout modern Europe. Including it's most eastern enclaves. I also left home because of Mother's cooking.

As for 99 baht .... fine dining it is not. Pasta night was an insipid mix of beef stock poured on un cooked pasta. Al dente it was not. Hardened like enamel on the inner and toughened like plaque on the outer it was. A second course was further diluted mush. The waitress blew her nose on the inside of her blouse, before serving the plate, an extra from Pulp Fiction - the scene in the back of the shop, emerged from the kitchen, tattoos and all, perused the diners and returned to the kitchen. Encouraged I was not.

Red plastic table coverings, camp site tables, chrome chairs, no napkins [ wipe your hands on the inside of your shirt?], a hot place, a filthily stained air con, patchwork painted ceiling decorated by the visually impaired, it was all lifted from the set of 'Little Voice.'

As for Bobby, he looked to all the world like any sex tourist without sleep for the best part of two weeks. The bags under his eyes could have carried home all the copy CDs, fake football shirts and designer sunglasses his mates would ever want. Or as he said: 'You do the math.' Things don't add up to 99.

The secret to the place's success is that the paid up members of Fat Club feel at home. They can gorge without guilt. They can pig with pride. They can open the facial orifice with an Olympian prowess. I saw 3 such gargantuans enter as a feeding party. It was frightening as between them they had the place surrounded. Bobby, clearly in a panic, could see a whole year's profits being wiped out in a single sitting.

It wouldn't matter how banal, flavourless, slop like the serving, these three flab freedom fighters meant to deal serious damage to the pasta and garlic knots. No doubt such cono-sewers of burger stand rancid fat would be in their element devouring pig swill servings. Tasteless, colourless, odourless boiled pap that brought back memories of the 1950's scout movement and bowel movement all in one. Slurps of appreciation resounded off the white padded cell like walls. And why not? You do have to be mad to eat there. That or glad - to be released at least.

Egon Ronay it isn't. The Farm maybe. Decent and edible it isn't. Cheap Charlie would hesitate.

The business won't survive as it is. Simply because already the quality Robin's Nest has an '89 baht' offer, the Leks, et al, are far superior and simply the best is Anton's at Naklua. The latter being Michelin starred compared with black holed '99 and all you can stomache-ache'.

It is reflective of Pattaya in that it is tasteless in your face tardy, lurid, rubbish. Bobby may well be [ and I think he is ] a smart business man and his model will move on, but currently he rides supreme in blending in seamlessly with 99% of Pattaya. It's coarse, it's vulgar, it's scraping the bottom of Pattaya's gastronomic sewer and it deserves every success because it suits the subteranean sub-species that visits here. The place is overly populated with 'Please God, don't let him have the seat next to me on the plane' types.

In summation, if your idea of life is a belly full of head splitting Chang, while seeking a street prostitute who is an honest girl, who will understand and love you forever and fine dining is a face down experience then 99 offers the best deal.

If it's not then maybe you were wise after all in listening to Mom.