Patong Chalong Road A Go !

LivinLOS

Well done to the governor !!

Approval passed and construction OK'ed..

So much more sensible than the various mega projects, tunnels, monorails, etc that keep getting said.. Just put in place a few more useable smaller access roads.

As reported in a local new source.

Agree the feed into Haasip Pee and Nanai (Nanai Lake !!) will be a mess but really.. Theres no fixing that its the result of organic growth rather then planned growth.

I know some will shudder at the idea of any of the island getting more developed but the increasing traffic density demands something. Between massive 6 lane highways or smaller capillary roads I am all for the latter. In fact Kathu Water fall to Kalim / Kamala is the next ideal one. Would help the Bang Tao / Laguna / Kamala to Phuket town and central a lot. But this Patong Chalong one is the most obvious and needed.

Agree the feed into Haasip Pee and Nanai (Nanai Lake !!) will be a mess but really.. Theres no fixing that its the result of organic growth rather then planned growth.

I know some will shudder at the idea of any of the island getting more developed but the increasing traffic density demands something. Between massive 6 lane highways or smaller capillary roads I am all for the latter. In fact Kathu Water fall to Kalim / Kamala is the next ideal one. Would help the Bang Tao / Laguna / Kamala to Phuket town and central a lot. But this Patong Chalong one is the most obvious and needed.

I already stopped going there because of the development. I think the local officials will not be happy until it is a mini Singapore.

Three Tescos on a resort island, not to mention Big C et al. HAH. :):D

Well its a case of services too.. Phuket is popular and hordes keep arriving.

For me the addition of carreforre and the readily available imports it provides was a huge boost, while I am sure it changes the charm, its also changed the lives of residents. Development for me is not a dirty word even if it does change the island.

For me far more important is the culture of greed, rising crime, rising divisions between haves and have nots.. I see the social impact as far higher a price then the ecological scenic one.

Well its a case of services too.. Phuket is popular and hordes keep arriving.

For me the addition of carreforre and the readily available imports it provides was a huge boost, while I am sure it changes the charm, its also changed the lives of residents. Development for me is not a dirty word even if it does change the island.

For me far more important is the culture of greed, rising crime, rising divisions between haves and have nots.. I see the social impact as far higher a price then the ecological scenic one.

It all comes in the same package.

But does it ??

Why does development (economic progress to many) have to break the social order or damage the society ?? Why cant the poorest also benefit from the development perhaps even to a greater degree than the richest ?? You could argue that it hasnt happened in Hawaii it doesnt happen in many developing islands.

I admit rising population density and transition from local to transient populations leads to higher crime, but is that the fault of a new road or carrefore ?? I dont see that as a direct connection, more a related one. I also think theres some real cultural issues (but will probably get accused of Thai bashing, which isnt my intent) in the money = status and 'if you have money you can do no wrong' (thai saying in case that isnt obvious) so that the pursuit of money even through questionable ends is more acceptable.

While I think this is something thats made especially visible by the imbalances in finance that we as westerners are creating here in this island, its also something that goes much deeper, Thailand is changing from a rural agrarian (near feudal) society, one thats key binding elements of status were strongly linked to boon khun / nam jai.. With responsibility generosity, obligation and favour/debt being markers of 'social status' (if social analysis like Thailand Fever, A Geography of Thought, etc is to be believed) but while that works in collectivist non transient communities, for whom these bonds of social generosity are repaid and known about over decades, this social system doesnt work in larger urban environments or transient communities. I would say this is why 'westernisation' or modernisation and the associated culture of independence is a much harder transition for Thailand than it is with many other societies.

Anyway wildly off topic concerning the building of a small road.

But does it ??

Why does development (economic progress to many) have to break the social order or damage the society ?? Why cant the poorest also benefit from the development perhaps even to a greater degree than the richest ?? You could argue that it hasnt happened in Hawaii it doesnt happen in many developing islands.

I admit rising population density and transition from local to transient populations leads to higher crime, but is that the fault of a new road or carrefore ?? I dont see that as a direct connection, more a related one. I also think theres some real cultural issues (but will probably get accused of Thai bashing, which isnt my intent) in the money = status and 'if you have money you can do no wrong' (thai saying in case that isnt obvious) so that the pursuit of money even through questionable ends is more acceptable.

While I think this is something thats made especially visible by the imbalances in finance that we as westerners are creating here in this island, its also something that goes much deeper, Thailand is changing from a rural agrarian (near feudal) society, one thats key binding elements of status were strongly linked to boon khun / nam jai.. With responsibility generosity, obligation and favour/debt being markers of 'social status' (if social analysis like Thailand Fever, A Geography of Thought, etc is to be believed) but while that works in collectivist non transient communities, for whom these bonds of social generosity are repaid and known about over decades, this social system doesnt work in larger urban environments or transient communities. I would say this is why 'westernisation' or modernisation and the associated culture of independence is a much harder transition for Thailand than it is with many other societies.

TIT

But does it ??

Wow! Strong thoughts indeed! Not that I disagree with the sentiment(s), however I also firmly believe that the grief you're exposed to is directly related to individuals lifestyle. Choose a 'high profile' area to live, you're going to get 'high profile' problems. Visit 'tourist havens', you're going to find all kinds of strange and sometimes unwanted diversions. However, I do agree with your thoughts on Thai society, but from where I'm sitting, it's more based on vested interests and media influence than any form of 'correctness'. Ultimately, rule of law, justice and fairness are the predominant values in a modern society. Currently, Thailand has scant regard for any of these.

Wow! Strong thoughts indeed!

Surprise tho it may be to many.. I am not the knuckle dragger some seem to think. I find the social psychology of different peoples very interesting in fact living in asia has made me realise far more then other places I have lived that we really do see the world quite differently and theres usually reasons why. If I can understand the reasons why, I have a better chance of actually understanding the view point or 'why' people think or act the way they do.

Not that I disagree with the sentiment(s), however I also firmly believe that the grief you're exposed to is directly related to individuals lifestyle. Choose a 'high profile' area to live, you're going to get 'high profile' problems. Visit 'tourist havens', you're going to find all kinds of strange and sometimes unwanted diversions.

This is something I have tried to emphasize in my posts, that a lot of what I might post about is the very small tourist places. Its not all Thailand and its not even all phuket. I get out and about the country a bit and when I travel I dont find as many of the problem attitudes in the provinces, but I have no interest in a life in the provinces, thats just not for me, I sometimes wish it was different but I need too many things that I would not have access to.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Chalong - Patong road 'coming soon'

phuket-Gov-Wichai-inspects-one-of-the-pathways-that-would-be-improved-to-create-the-new-road-1-VAGfGiA.jpgGov Wichai inspects one of the pathways that would be improved to create the new road.

phuket-Despite-being-reserved-forest-land-much-of-the-project-area-is-already-used-for-commercial-purposes-especially-rubber-production-4-HcKHNyq.jpgDespite being reserved forest land, much of the project area is already used for commercial purposes, especially rubber production.

PHUKET CITY: A new road linking Chalong and Patong will reduce accidents, save fuel and result in the destruction of fewer trees than detractors believe, the Phuket governor said on Monday.

Phuket Governor Wichai Phraisa-ngop was addressing a meeting at Provincial Hall to discuss progress on the controversial project, a key part of his plan to improve Phuket’s road network.

There are three possible routes to complete the road, all of which have already been partially cleared, Gov Wichai told the meeting.

“They’re all pathways,” he said. “Whichever route we choose to develop, there won’t be many trees cut down.”

Lower stretches of the road on the Chalong side pass through the entrance of Luang Pu Supha Temple.

The same valley is also already home to a golf course and is slated to become the location of the island’s third reservoir, the 5.7-million-cubic-meter Klong Krata basin.

The 4.6-kilometer route would reduce the island’s fuel consumption to the tune of an estimated one million baht per day, the governor estimated.

Currently, a road trip from Chalong to Patong road is around 20 kilometers long.

The new road would reduce traffic and accidents along Patak and Phra Barami roads, the two existing access roads to Patong that are both ‘quite dangerous’, according to Gov Wichai.

However, the project still needs Cabinet approval to go ahead.

Gov Wichai said Cabinet had asked that the project’s environmental impact assessment (EIA) be revised before the project can get started.

The road is legally problematic because parts at the highest elevations need to pass through national forest land, much of which is above the 80-meter building limit put in place in 1994 to prevent erosion, encroachment and flooding.

Once the EIA revision is completed in about one month’s time, Cabinet backing is expected to follow within two months, Gov Wichai said.

“Once the project gets a Cabinet resolution, I am sure the construction could be finished within nine months,” he said.

Twenty-six million baht in funding for the project would come from the government’s 100-billion-baht Thai Khem Kheng (strong Thailand) stimulus package for 2012.

Another 14 million baht would be provided by Patong Municipality and Chalong Tambon Administration Organization (TAO).

Yesterday’s meeting was attended by Department of Rural Roads Region 18 Director Chock Nualdaisri, who has responsibility for the project, as well as Chalong TAO President Nattapong Wimolphan and representatives from the Patong Public Works division.

Patong Municipality is also conducting a controversial 40-million-baht feasibility study into the feasibility of boring a tunnel under Patong Hill to create another new route to Patong. spacer.gif– Pimwara Choksakulpan

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]2009-11-11

Hi

Again gazette is giving us old news, why cant they give us news when it happens, well i really look forward to that road, but people still say not to go ahead, dont they think about the fuel saved by making that road, but i can see Nanai road with a lot of trafic now

The heading for this post is not true given that cabinet has not given approval yet.

Like the proposed tunnel this road should connect to a 4 lane road that runs north & south through Patong which I suppose would be the road that runs behind Jungceylon & which needs a lot more work. To work properly this road would need a lot more feeder roads than it currently has. Hwoever, given the scarcity of land in Patong & the fact most buildings are almost right on the road edge there is very little chance of any other wide avenue being built in Patong.