Living In Koh Samui

Have an escape route planned before you arrive.

And don't lose the map.

What with all the negativity? Why do you live here? I'm sure you have an escape route, or have you lost your map? :D Oh please don't tell me, you loved the place so much, you ended up buying your drinking establishment & now you can't leave. :)

Is there anyone that lives or has an acquaintance that lives in Koh Samui? We would realy appreciate any informations, tips and possible suggestions regarding the life there.

Well many people posting here , live on Samui.They do so for varied reasons, eg: business, retirement, marriage to local etc...

You might enlighten us a bit about your situation , your age, if you have a family, your job requirements or self funded & you might get a more precise answer.

Good luck.

Life over here is great!!! :)

Whilst everything here is familiar and like being anywhere else in the world, it is slightly different. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Often it just works differently from the way that you are used to. Every day presents you with a new set of circumstances that you may not have come across before, and that for me is what makes it all so much fun. Frustrating sometimes yes, but rewarding.

And having kids seems to open up the locals - they love 'em. Although I couldn't manage a whole one myself. :D

there is a good size italian network on samui families from the north, central and south of italy. imo samui is a user friendly island for people who like the weather and beaches of thailand but do not want to or can not manage the thai language. The "gone native" factor is not as high as in other parts of the kingdom and most expats have some sort of income from business, investment or pensions. the cost of living is more than in many other parts of thailand, having said this samui is not considered thailand by many thais as the street signs are in english, the number of international rest. within a walking distance is greater than even bkk. and again the main language is english. Samui is a tourist destination hence everyday is celebrated as if it were a friday as tourist do not want to get off a plane on tuesday and be told: 'Oh wait till the weekend" As a long time res on the island i can agree with almost anything negative being psoted about samui but for me the key reasons besides my wife staying on samui the availability of clean air, clear skys, star watching, nice beaches, schools, hospitals, bulk shopping, and the over all laid back attitude of livng on an island i.e. hey it's friday lets relax. so my advice is if you want to come to samui and really enjoy what it has to offer bring plenty of money. 100k a mo will do the trick for a family of 3 but more would be better.

Have you been here already? Don't rush things. Stay at a bungalow for 2 weeks first and look around - eventually also for a house for rent (There are plenty available all over the island for any budget).

One matter to consider is the "island-fact". You can still get that warm tropical island feeling on Samui, but to go to the mainland is strenuous. Especially without a car. And there is a typical Thai city, which has not much to offer as a change of scene. Had Yai, Krabi and Phuket are a bit too far away for a day trip.

But apart from that maccaroni man said it quiet right. Samui is a very comfortable place, if someone wants to live on a tropical island, which has it almost all.

Thank you for the useful infos. We have been already twice in Koh Samui last time winter 2005. I imagine that island is more developed than before.

Honestly we know what means living on an island, we at the present live on island that is not even half modern/developed than Samui so we are really open for compromises from that side.

More important than anything is good or at least decent relation that one newcomer can have with local Thai, US or European resident and how we can expect to be accepted there. The general mood of the Thai people is frendly but I say again we have been only tourists there. Things change when you live in the place.

I would not be happy to live in a community where i should everytime stay in the end of the queue just because of the skin color or my italian accent if you know what I mean. Services, proffesional advices are of grat importance: for starting a business, eventual property purchase etc...

We have 2 children so schools, hospitals, pharmacies, medical insurance and all amenities that a family should have are very important as well.

Our older child already is english school so the language is not an issue.

Existence of a italian comunity is always helpful so maybe once there we could try to get in touch with someone.

What with all the negativity? Why do you live here? I'm sure you have an escape route, or have you lost your map? :D Oh please don't tell me, you loved the place so much, you ended up buying your drinking establishment & now you can't leave. :D

Sorry for the bad vibes. I guess its the thought of more rain.

To the OP... I agree with much said by maccaroni man and birdman. Good advice all round.

I hope you come to live in Samui and I'm sure you will have a pleasant welcome.

From a personal note I hope you are wonderful italian chefs....

:)

Edited by smokie36

Thank you all for your support :) !

Now before to agree about the grocery shoping list prior to our arrival :D , we need to find out how is working the bureaucracy regarding issuing work permits to the foreigners on the island.

We both cook good, but is not in our intention to open italian restaurant in Samui. However we will need to do some job there so we need some pointers what to do and to whom to turn to about this issue..

Does anyone hes some tips to give us regarding the work permits?

Are there on the island any layer companies that might help or it works differently than that?

How long does your travel insurance cover you for? There are insurance brokers on the island , the cost is determined by the level of cover you require.

You can also check out Thaivisa Insurance, they have forms on line that can probably show the different levels of cover with an example of cost, at least you are then armed with some info & you are not flying blind.

How long does your travel insurance cover you for? There are insurance brokers on the island , the cost is determined by the level of cover you require.

You can also check out Thaivisa Insurance, they have forms on line that can probably show the different levels of cover with an example of cost, at least you are then armed with some info & you are not flying blind.

We have no travel insurance. Once there we must make everything from the beggining. Where we are at the present is not convenient to have med insutance since in any case we must pay all from our own pocket and after remboursment is almost ridiculous..

I'll check on thaivisa insurance..

I am just trying to inform myself about everything as much as i can :)

Services, proffesional advices are of grat importance

Forget it, it's Thailand. :) I lived in the south, Isaan, BKK and North Thailand. The standard is the same, you'll need to be on the back of anyone to get a good service; including farangs who are among the worst scammers here.

Services, proffesional advices are of grat importance

Forget it, it's Thailand. :) I lived in the south, Isaan, BKK and North Thailand. The standard is the same, you'll need to be on the back of anyone to get a good service; including farangs who are among the worst scammers here.

I think I can live with that :D

And how is the security there? I mean are there robberies ect... Where would you suggest for a family with children to go and live in Samui?