Uniquely Thai Habits / Customs

cognos

I didn't arrive on yesterdays banana boat. I have been here long enough to know Thai style and customs and the irritating over staffed shops like Central are constant source of annoyance to me. I shop in Central at least once to twice per week and its down right annoying. I want to browse for my items not have someone breathing in my earhole and telling me what i am looking at. I am neither blind, deaf or stupid.

Instead of stumbling around with a typical farang frown on your face grumpy and sad looking perhaps you could try smiling, shaking your head "no" and telling them in Thai that you don't need their help at the moment? Usually they leave right after I inform them of that. No fuss no muss.

Here's a tip for shopping in Thailand. Find out what's in stock at the store, do the research on the internet as to what the best model is, purchase and deliver. Easy and no emotional roller coaster involved.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't arrive on yesterdays banana boat. I have been here long enough to know Thai style and customs and the irritating over staffed shops like Central are constant source of annoyance to me. I shop in Central at least once to twice per week and its down right annoying. I want to browse for my items not have someone breathing in my earhole and telling me what i am looking at. I am neither blind, deaf or stupid.

Instead of stumbling around with a typical farang frown on your face grumpy and sad looking perhaps you could try smiling, shaking your head "no" and telling them in Thai that you don't need their help at the moment? Usually they leave right after I inform them of that. No fuss no muss.

Here's a tip for shopping in Thailand. Find out what's in stock at the store, do the research on the internet as to what the best model is, purchase and deliver. Easy and no emotional roller coaster involved.

Great I'll remember that the next time I am shopping for underwear and condoms.

Great I'll remember that the next time I am shopping for underwear and condoms.

You shouldn't have a problem purchasing the extra small rubbers at 7-11.

where's the drum roll sound affect when we need it. You missed your calling mate.

Speaking of purchasing rubbers, I find it unique that they are positioned right next to the cash register along with lubricants etc for lil kids to see. Guess sex education starts in the 7 here.

Shouldn't they have a sign on them to say cannot be purchased between 2-5pm?

A thread that should have been called, things you have never seen before and irritate you because you have never lived in any other developing country. I have seen nothing mentioned here I have not seen in other Asian countries.

Amusing nevertheless, mostly because it says so much about the posters.

For me what is most uniquely Thai is the blend of Buddhism and animism you find here that permeates pretty much all levels of society. You find animism in many Asian countries, but it just seems much more practiced here. I think it may because of the lack of European influences (or communism in some cases), particularly in religion that happened in most other Asian countries.

TH

Yes you are indeed a vastly superior variety of expat. i would suspect that you could better every story i could tell, that your local knowledge would beggar my own, and that you have become so at one with the various cultures you inhabit that nothing could possibly phase you.

congratulations.

As for animism and buddhism, have you spent much time in Laos, or were you busy spending time in other developing countries?

Books belongs in a library or in a university not in a home.

S

Interestingly( to me atleast) my wife and her twin sister seemed to be obsessed with "owning" books ( wife reads one novel a day!!.. mostly double spaced though) ,she takes out 11 at a time from the local library!

Storage is becoming an issue...

How'd you find a wife like that?

Thai is great but... academic tenancy, wow.

Any advice?

Books belongs in a library or in a university not in a home.

S

Interestingly( to me atleast) my wife and her twin sister seemed to be obsessed with "owning" books ( wife reads one novel a day!!.. mostly double spaced though) ,she takes out 11 at a time from the local library!

Storage is becoming an issue...

How'd you find a wife like that?

Thai is great but... academic tenancy, wow.

Any advice?

Marry mine mate.

She can tell me everything I would want to know about shakyspear but ask her how to turn on the gas for the stove...easier to order in. :)

"quick, quick get up, mayday mayday, your bottom finger"

This is just brilliant :) ! Makes me chuckle everytime I think of it. I will begin to use "mayday, mayday"; sounds cool.

Reminds me of a post by another TV member. He had been to a restaurant with his girlfriend who ordered stake. When she got the stake it was quite bad. The girlfriend complains to the waitress "This is not stake. This is misstake!" :D

Back on topic; sub zero temperatures in cinemas.

HAHO

Watched but one movie in Thailand, = What Women Want, and can remember "freezing" temperatures.... my date caught the flu that very night..

Does your wife/gf think nothing of disappearing with a sister or girlfriend for a couple of hours while you just sit somewhere twiddling your thumbs? This has happened several times, once when I went to the U.S. Embassy in BKK for a quick document. The three ladies went off for lunch for 2 hours while I waited, trying to sit my plump fanny on the sidewalk outside, in the hot sun.

I was hot, mad (offended), and fit to be tied when they finally drove up, and as I was complaining (civilly) to my wife the other two ladies looked at me like I was the boogey man. I've read before on TV when Thai ladies meet up the poor farang ceases to exist. Unfortunately I have witnessed this time and time again in varying degrees. Many Thai ladies seem to so enjoy each other, as we (try to) bide our time patiently. Actually in the case of the BKK trip mentioned, I think the girlfriends suggested lunch but my wife didn't want to disappoint them and complied.

Maybe I know what you mean. Once I was invited to my dates house of residence for the first time, which is flattering? All was well, I was offered food, enjoyed the people about, then a poker game broke out. I wasn't invited, I suppose because the rules are different, whatever. Watching the game was entertaining, we had a Thai guy, 30's drinking whiskey, an old Thai lady 60's?, who was being hit upon by the former, a couple of young girls too, and of course my date. Well, it got interesting, my date went down, I forget but it was like 2 weeks pay in BahtLand, then she became dealer and rebounded big time up 2 weeks pay.... all the while I was camped on a bed overlooking the extravaganza drinking complimentary coke.

At a certain point the scene gets old, as, we arrived before noon and now it was 5 pm I was ignored, as all were totally into the game, "high" stakes, I kind of wondered off annoyed, a bit insulted . At about 6pm my date showed up looking for me, and all was well, ...kind of.

At the end of the day, I don't think I should have been offended at all. I could walk anytime when its not fun. Or stick and be bored if I choose.

And the date, they'll figure it out.

Just throwing the idea out there.

On the other hand I speak reasonable Cantonese, but more often than not HK people can't understand me at all.

Then your cantonese may in fact be rather poor. You can still recognize the words but totally butcher the tones. I find that most westerners who learn asian languages are oblivious when it comes to tones. There are some exceptions but this is typically true.

My long time lady companion speaks Cantonese and English, but was oblivious to the fact that to teach people about pronunciation in Cantonese, you have to let them know that tones EXIST in other languages, such as CANTONESE but not ENGLISH.

Now I think about it, she did mention that tones were important, but never spent any time on it, moved on to a few words.

Maybe its mutually blind tone deaf scenario?

Now I'm trying to remember who said what?

Once my daughter explained to me that Cantonese tones are a bit like singing, then I said why don't they start with that as the first thing to say to all English speakers looking to learn Cantonese?

Yes you are indeed a vastly superior variety of expat. i would suspect that you could better every story i could tell, that your local knowledge would beggar my own, and that you have become so at one with the various cultures you inhabit that nothing could possibly phase you.

congratulations.

As for animism and buddhism, have you spent much time in Laos, or were you busy spending time in other developing countries?

Being a bit defense aren't we? If you chose to read my words as an attack on your expat experience that is ok. It was only meant to put some perspective that is so often sadly lacking here into some, or maybe even most of the comments on what are uniquely Thailand habits and traits.

I guess that reading comprehension is not your strong suit either or maybe I was bit too subtle in my comment on animism in Asia.

“…the blend of Buddhism and animism you find here that permeates pretty much all levels of society. You find animism in many Asian countries, but it just seems much more practiced here. I think it may because of the lack of European influences (or communism in some cases),…”

Though Buddhism and especially animism is very widely practiced in Laos, I do not think you will find the Loas Prime Minister, the Politburo or Central Committee doing any plowing ceremonies, publicly visiting fortune tellers or such activities that are very common at all levels, including the ruling class, as is the case in Thailand.

Probably better if you go back to discussing Thai’s picking their noses in public or those dam_n sales people whose very presence just seems to piss so many people off.

TH

Calling the wrong number and hanging up.

Answering the phone, realising that the caller actually dialled a wrong number (=your number), but talking to that unknown person for another three minutes. What for, using up the guys money?? :)

Edited by 7

...All is not lost though. Compare this to my experience at Home Pro Plus at Ploenchit. One or two assistants who don't follow you around every department but are close enough if you have a question. And amazingly they actually have a clue what they are talking about. Needless to say that anything that I can buy at Home Pro I do, from bedding to TVs, appliances, lamps etc etc.

What do you account the difference between Central/Power Buy and Home Pro? It certainly has nothing to do with ownership or management as both are Thai owned and managed companies.

I don’t use the Ploenchit Home Pro much; I usually go the Rama III branch. I actually find the sales staff there are some of the worst at what seems to make everyone here so angry. Like I said, I just ignore them and anything they say. Eventually, they back off and just wait for me to decide to buy something, which they then nicely carry to the check-out. In most cases I already know what I want and I’m not depending on them for any advice :)

TH

...All is not lost though. Compare this to my experience at Home Pro Plus at Ploenchit. One or two assistants who don't follow you around every department but are close enough if you have a question. And amazingly they actually have a clue what they are talking about. Needless to say that anything that I can buy at Home Pro I do, from bedding to TVs, appliances, lamps etc etc.

What do you account the difference between Central/Power Buy and Home Pro? It certainly has nothing to do with ownership or management as both are Thai owned and managed companies.

I don’t use the Ploenchit Home Pro much; I usually go the Rama III branch. I actually find the sales staff there are some of the worst at what seems to make everyone here so angry. Like I said, I just ignore them and anything they say. Eventually, they back off and just wait for me to decide to buy something, which they then nicely carry to the check-out. In most cases I already know what I want and I’m not depending on them for any advice :)

TH

Yea I must admit I was not impressed with the staff the normal HP lad prao.

But the one's at this one (maybe it's the plus part of it - maybe only the good ones get promoted to here?) are very good. Case in point, buy a TV / home theatre, they deliver on time and set it up - I didn't touch a thing. An hour after they left I get a call from their 'Customer Service' department to ensure everything was ok and to my satisfaction.

Thai wedding dowry custom?

Families at wedding adding in their own savings, also stuffing small notes between big ones to impress guests?

Expecting you to pay for everything from a plate of rice to a house.

Carrying the baby balanced on the front of the motorcycle.

Hawking goods of all manner in all manner of respectable businesses and the owners can't do a thing about it.

Losing all self control on a scale not seen since the Russians entered Berlin.

Being unable to criticise any one.

All students are 'c' grade and above, with failure being unheard of.

Being ignorant on a par with pre-historic mankind.

Never reading a book.

Having a road accident and just standing there uncomplaining without pointy fingers.

Having so many transexuals.

Being tolerant of so many transexuals.

Having no homosexuals in the country.

Being content with underpowered motorcycles.

Referring to all foreigners as 'falang' having never sort a more acceptable or Thai expression.

Using wing mirrors as personal grooming tools [whilst riding].

When viewing nature's wonders responding with 'mai alloy'.

Having no sense of personal danger or safety: 'not my time.'

I could go on .... I usually do .... then there's the bad points .....

Hawking goods of all manner in all manner of respectable businesses and the owners can't do a thing about it.

Never reading a book.

Having a road accident and just standing there uncomplaining without pointy fingers.

Having no homosexuals in the country.

Being content with underpowered motorcycles.

Referring to all foreigners as 'falang' having never sort a more acceptable or Thai expression.

Using wing mirrors as personal grooming tools [whilst riding].

Having no sense of personal danger or safety: 'not my time.'

I could go on .... I usually do .... then there's the bad points .....

Another satisfied customer.

Stop hanging out with trashy people. Problem solved.

*Agreed. It's dangerous behavior but read more about Buddhist religion and its impact on culture to figure out why this sort of thing doesn't phase most thais.

*Perfectly acceptable in my eyes. Western societies should lighten up and let the poor working class have a bit of free will.

*Strange. The Thais i've met criticize themselves more than anything else. Could it be the company you keep..oh wait..yes that's it.

*Face and hammering students on grades is a relatively meaningless gesture when there are strict standardized tests to determine who gets into the top universities.

*Not as ignorant as you think.

Never reading a book.

*Not from my experiences.

*Mostly because it's because they are waiting for people who know what to do to show up.

*Nothing wrong with this.

*Farang is a pretty neutral term. Much more neutral than what most of the minorities in western countries are called by white Americans, Brits, etc..

*I think you don't understand what this means. :)

Edited by wintermute

A thread that should have been called, things you have never seen before and irritate you because you have never lived in any other developing country. I have seen nothing mentioned here I have not seen in other Asian countries.

Amusing nevertheless, mostly because it says so much about the posters.

For me what is most uniquely Thai is the blend of Buddhism and animism you find here that permeates pretty much all levels of society. You find animism in many Asian countries, but it just seems much more practiced here. I think it may because of the lack of European influences (or communism in some cases), particularly in religion that happened in most other Asian countries.

TH

congratulations.

Yeah, he's annoying, that guy, full of himself. I think he uses the same name on another Thai web board where he posts in a similar condescending manner.

Stop hanging out with trashy people. Problem solved.

*Agreed. It's dangerous behavior but read more about Buddhist religion and its impact on culture to figure out why this sort of thing doesn't phase most thais.

*Perfectly acceptable in my eyes. Western societies should lighten up and let the poor working class have a bit of free will.

*Strange. The Thais i've met criticize themselves more than anything else. Could it be the company you keep..oh wait..yes that's it.

*Face and hammering students on grades is a relatively meaningless gesture when there are strict standardized tests to determine who gets into the top universities.

*Not as ignorant as you think.

Never reading a book.

*Not from my experiences.

*Mostly because it's because they are waiting for people who know what to do to show up.

*Nothing wrong with this.

*Farang is a pretty neutral term. Much more neutral than what most of the minorities in western countries are called by white Americans, Brits, etc..

*I think you don't understand what this means. :)

Thank you ajarn wintermute. How would we cope without your comments and corrections on every post? I hereby dub you knight of the internet! :D

Edited by Hawkup2000

the "fact" that the (female) Thai beer-bar sex industry is "world renowned"/"world famous"/ "infamous", yet in fact it is comprised of a VERY TEENY percentage of the overall Thai adult female population. ( like .0002%)

is this "TEENY WEENY" percentage a good enough reason for the majority of non bar worker Thai women to have such a darned hard time getting a visitors visa for western countries? Signed: another (only one of "millions" of former digruntled sponsers whose non bar worker Thai GF was denied a visitor's visa to a western country) farang who married her to get her over as the ONLY WAY

Young women or girls, suddenly breaking out in laughter seeing a white man. Funnily enough, they only do this if they, the females, are around in a group. Got to be so funny, seeing someone who has no slit eyes.. :)

Hi.

What do you mean by "having no homosexuals in the country"..?

On that note, (adult) male blue-collar workers, who don't even look gay, going to work, carrying a shoulder bag, from which a little teddy bear is dangling. :)

Yeah, he's an irritating <deleted>, that guy, full of himself. I think he uses the same name on another Thai web board where he posts in a similar condescending manner.

It only seems condescending because of the shocking low level of intelligence and common sense, compounded by equally shocking high levels of narcissism and ethnocentrism shown in so many threads on so many Thai forums.

Please read some of the response in this one for prime examples and then tell me again my response was “condescending” rather then understandable.

TH

Yeah, he's an irritating <deleted>, that guy, full of himself. I think he uses the same name on another Thai web board where he posts in a similar condescending manner.

It only seems condescending because of the shocking low level of intelligence and common sense, compounded by equally shocking high levels of narcissism and ethnocentrism shown in so many threads on so many Thai forums.

Please read some of the response in this one for prime examples and then tell me again my response was “condescending” rather then understandable.

TH

TH, in your first sentence of this reply does the portion where you state shocking low level of intelligence and common sense.... not provide us with an example of being condescending in itself?

It's ok, I understand. :):D

congratulations.

Being a bit defense aren't we? If you chose to read my words as an attack on your expat experience that is ok. It was only meant to put some perspective that is so often sadly lacking here into some, or maybe even most of the comments on what are uniquely Thailand habits and traits.

I guess that reading comprehension is not your strong suit either or maybe I was bit too subtle in my comment on animism in Asia.

“…the blend of Buddhism and animism you find here that permeates pretty much all levels of society. You find animism in many Asian countries, but it just seems much more practiced here. I think it may because of the lack of European influences (or communism in some cases),…”

Though Buddhism and especially animism is very widely practiced in Laos, I do not think you will find the Loas Prime Minister, the Politburo or Central Committee doing any plowing ceremonies, publicly visiting fortune tellers or such activities that are very common at all levels, including the ruling class, as is the case in Thailand.

Probably better if you go back to discussing Thai’s picking their noses in public or those dam_n sales people whose very presence just seems to piss so many people off.

TH

did you mean defensive? actually i was trying to be offensive, but no matter. Despite your subtlety and my own limited ability to read, i think i got your gist. Perhaps it is your own ability to gague the tone of another's post that is limited.

If you do not like the Laos example, i think Cambodia demonstrates an even higher incidence of animist/buddhist beliefs through all levels of society. I would also like to point out that the ploughing ceremonies are generally presided over by royalty both in Thailand and Cambodia.

i understand that thai visa is a hotbed of foreign discontent and i often find it tiresome as well, but try not to put yourself on too tall a pedestal, you really are little better than rest of us. take a good look in that mirror, maybe you will find a latent narcissist staring back at you.

should i add a smiley to show that this is all untertaken in good fun? I think not. i will leave it up to you to draw your own conclusions.

Edited by t.s

สีซอให้ควายฟัง (see saw hai kwai fung) “Play a violin for a buffalo to listen”

Talking to your partner and they only get 40% of what you say.

Edited by LindsayBKK