Do You Appreciate When Thai Restaurants "farangatize" Your Food?

Jingthing

Do you appreciate when Thai restaurants "farangatize" your food?  

213 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Try eating in thai restaurants back in your own country the food there is no where near like the authentic thai food you get here. All made for farang taste and people say they like thai food without having really tried it. Try eating in the street cafe's instead of the big retuarants catering for farangs. My wife makes the best thai food anyway truely authentic.

I have had wonderful fully spiced Thai food at many Thai restaurants in the USA. Of course there, you have to go the right kind of places often in Thai neighborhoods and you have to stare them hard in the eye when you ask, and just like in Thailand "train" the staff over repeat visits. So you are wrong there for at least some cities, though you are correct that many or most don't offer that. When you say street cafe's I don't know if you mean street carts or small open air local restaurants. Street carts are mostly noodles (hard to muck that up) and I eat in small open air local restaurants quite a lot (yes farangatization can occur at those places too).

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where I normally eat, my food is never toned down.  Part of it may be because I am a known fixture, and when first brought there, my friends assured the staff that I even eat spicier than they eat. But even in places I don't frequent, the food is the same.

I fully agree, the most effective method to get what you want is to eat regularly at the same places and "train" the staff. However, for people like me who like to eat all around and often try new places, that isn't relevant.

If it is very hot/spicy. I can't eat it.

There are many Thais in the same boat. It is a matter of taste. I am sure if you are a farang you have no problem asking for mai phet and getting mai phet. The issue raised here is the common occurrence of Thais ignorantly assuming most ALL farangs are the same as you, as of course we aren't.

Sometimes I even think they like to make it extra spicy to embarrass the farang if he has company.

That has happened to me about two times in my ten years of traveling to and living in Thailand. You can tell they are having fun because they are all staring. One time was really funny, there were probably 100 prik kee nu's in the dish. I made no comment. I didn't send it back. I went red and sweat buckets, and smiled. And never went back, I don't mind a good practical joke but won't reward such people with repeat business. Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

Do you think he should appreciate that? Why the appreciation for presumptions (quite often totally false) based merely on ethnicity? I think we can try to understand the motivations and be tolerant of the situation while still trying to get what we actually want, but the appreciation part, I feel it goes too far.

The reasons have already been stated already. If Thai food is served at normal level of spicy everytime you'll have farang whining and throwing self entitled tantrums in every tourist cafe or restaurant in Thailand. A friend of mine owns a guesthouse and he says that besides a few individuals with a diverse palate the vast majority of farang who visit want the watered down version.

You have pinpointed an important aspect of the motivation discussed here before. The desire to avoid complaints. That is somewhat less noble than doing it to be polite. Of course, I wonder about the REAL percentage of people at his place that desire toned down food if he has only developed his opinions based on the complaints of some people when they find the food too spicy. I realize this stereotyping by restaurants is not going to go away, but if places will actually listen to and believe customers when they ask to be excused from the stereotypes, that would be lovely.

Edited by Jingthing

Well...is there a middle ground? Literally.

Phet = spicy. Got that. Certainly works! :)

Mai phet = not spicy. Got that. :D :D :D

But what's "in the middle"?

Actually as a farang phet will usually get medium phet. Phet phet is asking for super spicy, and then if you are lucky as a farang you will get normal Thai spicy. You could try phet nit noy; it might work in some places, but some places will just hear that as mai phet coming from a farang.

Speaking of misunderstandings, I think that Thai waiters are so used to hearing mai phet and of course the typical Thai myth that we can't eat spicy food, that quite ofen they will hear phet phet as mai phet and just assume we made a mistake (and/or just not thinking).

I usually order "phet phet phet" when I want it spicy and joke that "mai phet mai alloy" (not spicy not tasty) here in central Thailand it works, I get what I want.

I would like Thai restaurants to 'farangize' my food to the extent of removing the ubiquitous ผงชูรส (MSG) from the meat dishes.

That's interesting but I don't think they will generally do that as the many places that use MSG feel it enhances the flavor, its not really an herb, spice, or chile thing.

Edited by Jingthing

There's enough places for eating western food, not necessary to farangise the so good thai food

and when they want to do, it's good or not, surprising many times

we find more and more real coffee for example, but many times they make it not good, too strong, because they never drink it

funnily, at least when you visit restaurants overseas, foreigners never hear about let alone have tried dishes like:

'kaeng jued' - literally translates to 'bland curry/soup'

Just for the record, I know of more than one Thai restaurant in the US that has kaeng jeud on the menu.

"American fried Rice" NOT Thai!

"American" fried rice most certainly is Thai. Don't be fooled by the name; it is a very common dish in Thailand. It was invented in Thailand by Thais and does not exist anywhere in America that I know of. Since ketchup is usually used to give the rice it's red color and is normally considered an American ingredient it picked up the name "American" but you will be very hard pressed to find it anywhere outside Thailand. It is somewhat similar to Spanish (Mexican) rice with an egg on top and a fried chicken leg on the side but fried eggs and fried chicken legs are as comon in Thailand as anywhere else.

When speaking of toning down Thai food we also need to make a distiction between Thai restaurants outside Thailand and those inside Thailand. I think JT's poll was referring to places in Thailand. There is already a rather long thread in the food forum on Thai restaurants in the West "dumbing down" the food. The general consensus was that while frustrating to those of us who know real Thai food, the blander stuff found in the overwhelming majority of foreign Thai restaurants isn't going to change much due to the fact that the average patron at those places likes it bland. A few patrons outside Thailand do like it authentic so the staff will almost always ask how spicy you want it. I have been to many which ask how many "stars" you want. The more stars the spicier the food. Most of these places however, simply add more chilies on top but don't cook in any more garlic, ginger, lemongrass or fish sauce still leaving it rather tasteless compared to the real thing. I have found that saying "Khaw tham ahaan baeb Thai" sometimes (but rarely) gets you fairly authentic Thai food.

If I am ever asked how spicy I want my food at a Thai restaurant in Thailand I usually will say that I've changed my mind and just get up and go somewhere else, unless I'm absolutely starving. The places like this that come right to mind are on Khao San Road or the one (I don't believe the forum rules allow me to use their name) on Sukhumvit Soi 14 below the Asoke BTS Station and which begins with S, but I'm sure there are a lot more in places like Pattaya and Phuket not to mention the infamous Arun Rai up north that are just as bad.

Edited by Groongthep

It's really quite odd that kaeng jued is so rare in touristy and overseas Thai restaurants given that it is a soup similar to some Western soups that almost all farang would like. I remember ordering it once in a restaurant with no farang and the waiter forced me to go look at the pot before he would serve it to me as 'this is for Thai people.' Strangely enough once had the same experience ordering rad na, 'this is for Thai people.' Some Thais have a lot of preconceived notions about what foreigners can eat and can have strange reactions when ordering outside of that, some will give you exactly what you order, some will question you because they don't believe you, and others will change your order.

I would like Thai restaurants to 'farangize' my food to the extent of removing the ubiquitous ผงชูรส (MSG) from the meat dishes.

That's interesting but I don't think they will generally do that as the many places that use MSG feel it enhances the flavor, its not really an herb, spice, or chile thing.

MSG is simply a neurotoxin added to inject flavour where none or little exists.

My point about 'farangizing' food by removing MSG is simply that several Western countries have banned its use in children's food and broadcast warnings about its harmful effects. I would love it if Thailand applied the same standards, but as you say, this is unlikely to happen.

MSG is a natural ingredient found in many foods.

Monosodium glutamate is one of several forms of glutamic acid found in foods, in large part because glutamic acid is pervasive in nature, being an amino acid. Glutamic acid and its salts can also be present in a wide variety of other additives, including hydrolyzed vegetable proteins, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed yeast, yeast extract, soy extracts, and protein isolate, any one of which may appear as "spices" or "natural flavorings." The food additives disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate are usually used along with monosodium glutamate-containing ingredients, and provide a likely indicator of the presence of monosodium glutamate in a product. For this reason, the FDA considers labels such as "No MSG" or "No Added MSG" to be misleading if the food contains ingredients that are sources of free glutamate, such as hydrolyzed protein.

In 1993, the FDA proposed adding the phrase "(contains glutamate)" to the common or usual names of certain protein hydrolysates that contain substantial amounts of glutamate.

In the 2004 version of his book, On Food and Cooking, food scientist Harold McGee states that "[after many studies], toxicologists have concluded that MSG is a harmless ingredient for most people, even in large amounts."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate

Edited by Ulysses G.

This piss's me off to no end. I like spicy food, I usually pick spicy food that is clearly marked as spicy on the menu, Almost always it comes not spicy. I've tried telling them that I like spicy, that in English the menu says spicy. Most just say OK, then the food arrives bland. Some will tell me that Farang can't eat spicy, not make spicy. I get up and walk on those now. I've tried dealing with it several ways. Complaining don't work because they will just say "stupid farang, not know farang can not eat spicy". Usually I'll send it back saying that it isn't what I ordered. They will bring me the menu and show me, at that point I point out that it say in English "spicy soup" and this not spicy soup. Typically they will take it back and the cook will throw a few chilies on top, witch isn't the same as being cooked with the chilies in it. When I pay the bill, I'll tell the woman to tell the cook I not leave tip because the spicy salad, not spicy. I know it's the waitress that wrote "farang" on the ticket, blaming it on the cook does not make her lose face. I'm usually remembered after that and get what I order the next time.

Now I have something that works great. My Thai girlfriend doesn't like spicy food. We will look at the menu, then send the waitress to get us drinks, so that they won't hear our plan. I tell the girlfriend what I want, she then orders it for herself, and then tells them that I want what she is going to order. When the food arrives, we switch plates. The waitress usually frerks out when she sees that. I've even had them try to take the plate back saying it's to spicy for me. We are both happy that way. If we don't trick them, the girlfriend will get food that is to hot for her to eat, and I am unhappy with my dish. Dealing with Thai's is hard sometimes. They have some preconceived ideas that they just won't let loose of.

I have to share that my wife and I have the same situations you have expressed. My wife doesn't eat spicy, unless its Papaya salad, and I don't eat bland to mild food. We also will order the others food, then switch plates. It is entertaining looking at the facial expressions on the servers. If any dish comes less spicy than I prefer, I bury it with the table chiles on the table, and I'm happy. Interesting observation I have made; I find most Thai can't handle Tobasco sauce, which I think is medium spicy and sweet. They cry its too hot. Go figure.

I am surprised that I didn't see anyone mention it yet, but over spicing the food hides the taste of poor quality or "off" ingredients. Despite the howls of protest that will follow on my next observation, I believe there are many Thais that do not smother their food with chili. Not everyone has missing taste buds. There are plenty of people that allow the nuances and the flavours to highlight the dishes and that use the chili and pepper as a way to accent those flavours. Yea, yea, what do I know :)

If a restaurant goes easy on the chili when farangs are is in the house, then it's probably because too many previous farang clients have complained about the spice levels. C'mon, you have all seen them when you have gone out for a meal.

It's much easier to add the chilis to one's taste level then it is to remove them from a dish. Personally, I appreciate the thoughtfulness and am grateful someone takes into account that I do not covet burning bum syndrome or an inflamed mouth.

I understand where you are coming from griatrickid. However, if you look at a mue and it says "spicy beef salad" and has a picture of a chili next to it, you are not going to order it. Me on the other hand, will. When I do, I expect it to be spicy. Just as I do my Som Tam. Yes I could add spice to it. Then again, why should I have to, I ordered the same plate as the Thai next to me, and I'm paying the same price. Shouldn't I get the same food? One problem I have is, when the food comes bland, especially when eating alone. I want to spice it up, however the little spice rack that every Thai is given, isn't offered to me. Asking for it is a chore, my Thai is not good, and most servers know even less English.

A dish that clearly says that it is spicy on the menu, should come spicy. There is lots of Thai food that isn't served spicy for you, and others like you. If you don't like spicy food, don't order it. Ordering food that is clearly stated to be spicy, and then complaining that it's to spicy, is just plain stupid.

I don't like liver, I have never in my life ordered liver. Wouldn't it be out right stupid of me to order liver, and then complain that it doesn't taste good? Same Same.

OK, this poll has been running awhile now. We are showing over 70 percent do NOT appreciate having their food farangatized without their consent. For the farangatization apologists, even if you think this number is way inflated relative to the reality on the ground, can you really harbor any legitimate doubts now that this is a REAL issue? Dare I say it: the Thai stereotypes about our tastes are TOTALLY WRONG.

Edited by Jingthing

OK, this poll has been running awhile now. We are showing over 70 percent do NOT appreciate having their food farangatized without their consent. For the farangatization apologists, even if you think this number is way inflated relative to the reality on the ground, can you really harbor any legitimate doubts now that this is a REAL issue? Dare I say it: the Thai stereotypes about our tastes are TOTALLY WRONG.

Often I find the way to deal with these difficult situations is to watch what the Thai people do. Without exception when Thai people order food they go to great lengths to explain to the server how they want their food prepared. Even among Thai people no one has exactly the same tastes and the bedlam that occurs when food is ordered is all about getting the message across to the server just how the food should come.

So when I want Thai food I do the same and take time out to explain carefully how I want the food. Personally, I don't like over-spicy, I prefer it to be more balanced. If a food is too spicy then it masks all the other flavours in a meal and you can't really taste anything else. So, too spicy just spoils the meal for me. But that's just my opinion and yours may be different.

Personally I appreciate it when restaurants do ask me if I require the spice toned-down because it means that they are expressing concern to a customer. Why would anyone whinge over a restaurant showing a little concern? There are a lot of restaurants, especially those in tourist-traps, around the world that don't give a dam_n about their customers. I think I prefer the Thai way of erring on the side of caution. Likewise, I've been in Thai restauarants and had customers get out of their seats and come over to my table and ask me if I needed any help in ordering food. Now they have no pre-knowledge that I can speak Thai and quite easily order from a menu without assistance. But I would be a total curmudgeon to not recognise that this is Thai people at their best - trying to help out a stranger in a strange land. So no gripes from me.

Often I find the way to deal with these difficult situations is to watch what the Thai people do. Without exception when Thai people order food they go to great lengths to explain to the server how they want their food prepared. Even among Thai people no one has exactly the same tastes and the bedlam that occurs when food is ordered is all about getting the message across to the server just how the food should come.

So when I want Thai food I do the same and take time out to explain carefully how I want the food. Personally, I don't like over-spicy, I prefer it to be more balanced. If a food is too spicy then it masks all the other flavours in a meal and you can't really taste anything else. So, too spicy just spoils the meal for me. But that's just my opinion and yours may be different.

Personally I appreciate it when restaurants do ask me if I require the spice toned-down because it means that they are expressing concern to a customer. Why would anyone whinge over a restaurant showing a little concern? There are a lot of restaurants, especially those in tourist-traps, around the world that don't give a dam_n about their customers. I think I prefer the Thai way of erring on the side of caution. Likewise, I've been in Thai restauarants and had customers get out of their seats and come over to my table and ask me if I needed any help in ordering food. Now they have no pre-knowledge that I can speak Thai and quite easily order from a menu without assistance. But I would be a total curmudgeon to not recognise that this is Thai people at their best - trying to help out a stranger in a strange land. So no gripes from me.

The thrust of this thread is NOT about any objection to being asked. That was not the poll question and I think it is fair to assume that quite obviously most people would not object to a polite question about food preferences (even if inspired by our race). It is about the common assumption that farangs want bland food if nothing is said or asked, and also STILL being served bland food when we call for different, EVEN when they do ask and we respond YES SPICY! There is no right or wrong answer as to how you like your food. However, as a farang you will find it MUCH EASIER to get bland food (you often don't need to ask) than those of us who want the food cooked the more typical Thai way (which as detailed above DEPENDS on the specific dish).

As you don't like spicy food, of course you would appreciate farangatization. I expect if they usually did not listen to you when you told them how to cook it (in an upside down world where Thais incorrectly assume that farangs can't eat bland food), that you would not be so appreciative.

Edited by Jingthing

The thrust of this thread is NOT about any objection to being asked. That was not the poll question and I think it is fair to assume that quite obviously most people would not object to a polite question about food preferences (even if inspired by our race). It is about the common assumption that farangs want bland food if nothing is said or asked, and also STILL being served bland food when we call for different, EVEN when they do ask and we respond YES SPICY! There is no right or wrong answer as to how you like your food. However, as a farang you will find it MUCH EASIER to get bland food (you often don't need to ask) than those of us who want the food cooked the more typical Thai way (which as detailed above DEPENDS on the specific dish).

As you don't like spicy food, of course you would appreciate farangatization. I expect if they usually did not listen to you when you told them how to cook it (in an upside down world where Thais incorrectly assume that farangs can't eat bland food), that you would not be so appreciative.

Well actually your poll doesn't state whether the farangatization of the food is asked for or not. I think if you'd specified in your original question about whether the server had asked first, you might see a different result to what you're getting at the moment. Obviously if you ask for A and get B you might be upset, but your poll says do we mind getting B without any mention A. At least that is the way I read it.

And quote 'the common assumption that farangs want bland food if nothing is said or asked' unquote, I would say is an assumption being made by restauranteurs based on their knowledge of the clientele and that is the common preference of their clientel.

But your poll is really a moot point, if you don't mind me saying so, because a Thai would always state their preference to the server at the time of ordering and would not rely on the cook to make an assumption.

I tried Thai food. Hated it. Still do.

I'm with you Blondie... I've been here for three years and pretty much can't stand Thai food.. anyone who would put rotten fish all over their food, then put it in their mouth, can't be sane.. everything tastes and smell like fish.. even their potato chips. give me a break here. I've lost about 20 pounds since I've live here. I've been really sick three times and all three times it was after eating some fish. you would think I would learn by now. :D Most of their fish is caught in very polluted waters. No more. About the only thing I live on is Khao Tom Moo... a rice soup with some pork and veggies. plus eggs. boiled, fried, omelette, scrambled... it's hard to mess up eggs. but they still do a good job of it.. :)

This piss's me off to no end. I like spicy food, I usually pick spicy food that is clearly marked as spicy on the menu, Almost always it comes not spicy. I've tried telling them that I like spicy, that in English the menu says spicy. Most just say OK, then the food arrives bland. Some will tell me that Farang can't eat spicy, not make spicy. I get up and walk on those now. I've tried dealing with it several ways. Complaining don't work because they will just say "stupid farang, not know farang can not eat spicy". Usually I'll send it back saying that it isn't what I ordered. They will bring me the menu and show me, at that point I point out that it say in English "spicy soup" and this not spicy soup. Typically they will take it back and the cook will throw a few chilies on top, witch isn't the same as being cooked with the chilies in it. When I pay the bill, I'll tell the woman to tell the cook I not leave tip because the spicy salad, not spicy. I know it's the waitress that wrote "farang" on the ticket, blaming it on the cook does not make her lose face. I'm usually remembered after that and get what I order the next time.

Now I have something that works great. My Thai girlfriend doesn't like spicy food. We will look at the menu, then send the waitress to get us drinks, so that they won't hear our plan. I tell the girlfriend what I want, she then orders it for herself, and then tells them that I want what she is going to order. When the food arrives, we switch plates. The waitress usually frerks out when she sees that. I've even had them try to take the plate back saying it's to spicy for me. We are both happy that way. If we don't trick them, the girlfriend will get food that is to hot for her to eat, and I am unhappy with my dish. Dealing with Thai's is hard sometimes. They have some preconceived ideas that they just won't let loose of.

I have to share that my wife and I have the same situations you have expressed. My wife doesn't eat spicy, unless its Papaya salad, and I don't eat bland to mild food. We also will order the others food, then switch plates. It is entertaining looking at the facial expressions on the servers. If any dish comes less spicy than I prefer, I bury it with the table chiles on the table, and I'm happy. Interesting observation I have made; I find most Thai can't handle Tobasco sauce, which I think is medium spicy and sweet. They cry its too hot. Go figure.

I find the same thing... I have a lot of Thai friends who don't like it very spicy.. and will tell the waitress so... I also have a bottle of Tobasco sauce that I love on almost everything, and the Thai's think it's too spicy. :)

But your poll is really a moot point, if you don't mind me saying so, because a Thai would always state their preference to the server at the time of ordering and would not rely on the cook to make an assumption.

I don't get your logic at all.

Read the OP of the poll, that further explains the poll. BTW, I don't agree that Thais usually state a preference! In my experience they expect the dish to be cooked the typical way depending on the dish, except for Thais who like it is less spicy or more spicy, then they will ask. They have a very different experience than the farangs who like authentically spiced Thai food. There is really no comparison to the experiences. I think a Thai who doesn't like spicy might have some problems sometimes, the reverse of the typical farang problem. It is hard to imagine a Thai who loves phet phet food having any problem whatsoever always getting what he wants. The only exception I can think if it that is called for on a dish that is supposed to be a bland dish by definition.

I think for whatever reason, you are not "getting" the issue here. The obvious contention born out by many testimonials here is that the typical Thai and the typical farang ordering the EXACT SAME DISH in a given restaurant will get a DIFFERENT DISH simply based on race (when no preference is stated). And the farangs quite often will STILL get the toned down dish even if making a very clear request for that not to happen. Sorry, I will always think that is wrong. I don't think there is any good excuse.

Edited by Jingthing

And quote 'the common assumption that farangs want bland food if nothing is said or asked' unquote, I would say is an assumption being made by restauranteurs based on their knowledge of the clientele and that is the common preference of their clientel.

Completely untrue. The majority of restaurants I eat at, I am the only farang. Some have menus only in Thai. Over 99% of their customers are Thai. I STILL have trouble getting what I want sometimes if they do not know me as they have a preconceived notion of what farang can eat. Sometimes it doesn't matter if you explain you want it spicy, some will just not do it. I can't count the times I've gotten a bland krapow or yam because they didn't make it spicy enough for me.

I think the people that don't have a problem with this are mainly the ones that rarely eat Thai food and do not eat spicy food to begin with. If you eat a lot of Thai food and you like it spicy you will run in to this problem.

I tried Thai food. Hated it. Still do.

I'm with you Blondie... I've been here for three years and pretty much can't stand Thai food.. anyone who would put rotten fish all over their food, then put it in their mouth, can't be sane.. everything tastes and smell like fish.. even their potato chips. give me a break here. I've lost about 20 pounds since I've live here. I've been really sick three times and all three times it was after eating some fish. you would think I would learn by now. :D Most of their fish is caught in very polluted waters. No more. About the only thing I live on is Khao Tom Moo... a rice soup with some pork and veggies. plus eggs. boiled, fried, omelette, scrambled... it's hard to mess up eggs. but they still do a good job of it.. :)

How do you handle bindabaht and not being able to choose what you eat? Or have you left the monkhood?