Do You Appreciate When Thai Restaurants "farangatize" Your Food?

Jingthing

Do you appreciate when Thai restaurants "farangatize" your food?  

213 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When this thread started I didn't care as my food is always spicy...

However, today i went to Yapsaam in Central (i go there probably once a fortnight..on my own with newspaper) and the normal waitress served me but was totally disinterested and was looking elsewhere when writing my order up..

My Som tam khor mu yang arrived with no chillies mixed in it...! it was bland bland bland....

(i wanted to ask why no chillies but couldn't be bothered as the place was busy and i knew they would just plonk 3 whole chillies on top which is not the same as having the chillies chopped up and cooked in the food)

I picked up the reciept to take to the till and then read my order... the biatch of the uninterested waitress had written my phet (this is in Thai/ i can read Thai) next to my order.. ggrrrrrrr...

I went over to her and asked her why she had written that and that i like my food spicy..... no angry/shouting or anything just a conversation and she apologised...fair enough....

But I was left wandering...how come i can recognise her face out of 60 million others that look the same and she cannot recognise the big farang who comes by himself every week or so with a newspaper and orders the same thing and always has it spicy !

Why do they think farangs cannot eat spicy? <deleted> is that mentality........

My answer today is... it p1sses me right off when they farangatise my food ! i was looking forward to the mouth burn and my mouth waters when i am expecting this.... !

An unhappy diner today!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the people that don't have a problem with this are mainly the ones that rarely eat Thai food and do not eat spicy food to begin with. If you eat a lot of Thai food and you like it spicy you will run in to this problem.

Yes exactly. I do find places I go to regularly eventually learn that I am serious. You really do have to speak up when you ask for phet phet and they give you mai phet. That greatly increases the chance they will remember the NEXT time. But like I have been saying, this is a real consistent problem for those who enjoy trying many NEW places.

I also feel in many cases a Thai wouldn't even have to say phet or phet phet. If he orders a default spicy dish he will get spicy. As a farang, if you do that, chances are you will get mai phet. It may seem like not a big deal but one of the humorous side effects is that you often need to say phet phet even to get a little bit phet. Frankly I don't always need phet phet, phet would do me fine, but I notice when I just say phet the chances increase to get mai phet.

Call it "farang phet deflation" if you will. In any case, you orders your food, you takes your chances (sic).

Edited by Jingthing

I don't order stuff I don't like. Don't go for innards or rotten food, but I do like my food nice and spicy.

I usually get it to my taste when I order. Something about the accent does it.

That about sums it up

Don`t like the above but i do try dishes of course always interesting when dining with the wife as she translates thai menu or she can order while i wait to be surpised about the dish & how much we are actually getting (whether or not it`s going to feed an army - as thais like their food)

But i `ve learned to say MAI PET - which I`m told is no hot chilli as I`ve never been able to stand really hot chili.

Spicy is ok, that actually makes the dish

I don't really know. I havn't had this problem much before. I voted "grumpy ex-pat" style.

See, if we're in Phuket or Koh Samooee or Khao Sarn the such, most people there are tourists and won't like the traditional Thai foods. End of story. I'd expect to be served watered down food, so wouldn't really be bothered by it.

On the other hand, if I was at home here in Nakhon Si Thammarat, and someone did it, if I came back to the restaurant, I'd be sure to let them know not to <deleted>*k with the recipes just because I'm white.

This reminds me of another similar thing that actually has been pissing me off; when you go to a shop and are asking all your questions in Thai and not struggling with the language, but they answer back in Inglit. Why? So the white guy speaks Thai and the black guy speaks Inglit... <deleted>? It's pretty annoying. I usually then pretend to be Russian and pretend not to speak English just to make them understand they're an idiot and get some laughs.

Again, this is the sort of thing I would not mind in tourist places, as they don't know. But out in the middle of nowhere where only the drunkest of fawang wander, it's another story.

Of course, you can't blame the Thai; they're actually trying to be nice. But just like their favorite word, "fawang", where there's nothing wrong with a word, using it frequently only becomes a form of social exclusion. Speaking to you in your mother language or serving you your mothers food does not make you feel more at home or welcome when your home is just down the <deleted>*king street...

But really, the reasons all these happen are too deep to go into. When Thailand has such a large amount of foreigners pass through yet Thais have the skills with dealing with them that are the equivelent of a white 4 year old, the reasons can only be vast, painful and complex.

But one funny story about the food; I did once order for my minced pork to only be a very little bit spicy, as I wanted to eat it fast and in large amounts, not at snail pace mouse portions like Thais eat. But even asking for non spicy here in Thung Song, my next question was as to why the <deleted>*k was it bright red? Little bit spicy to them means only 3 spoons of chili instead of the regular 6.

Edited by Tenchu

asking all your questions in Thai and not struggling with the language, but they answer back in Inglit. Why?

because most of Thais hardly can speak another language than Thai. So they show you and others around and themselves, that they are in the more educated group and are proud of that.

Relax and let that be...

Edited by Birdman

Do you really want all your meat on the bone and without the gristle and integument removed, pepped up with a sprinkling of mixed offal?

Integument ... nice word :D

For the record Thais are usually (happily) impressed by the megatonnage I can handle. But chillis have their own special TASTE. I like that taste as a part of the mixture of spices, especially the little green demons. It's not just about hot - if the food's not well done then obviously no amount of chilli can really save things. But I've never yet come across Thai meals I didn't like, even if I rarely do bugs.

However I don't like more than a few mouthfuls of Lao som tam, the fish sauce is too much for me in larger quantities. I love the Thai version, can eat it till it comes out my ears. First thing I do on arrival is always som tam + ghaeng khia waeng on the corner of the soi. :)

Sigh ... roll on May

Edited by BusyB

asking all your questions in Thai and not struggling with the language, but they answer back in Inglit. Why?

because most of Thais hardly can speak another language than Thai. So they show you and others around and themselves, that they are in the more educated group and are proud of that.

You can't be serious...

There's an American restaurant down here in Krabi that serves Steak and potatoes, hamburger and french fries, etc. For my wife, they add fish belly sauce and chillies to her burger before grilling it. They also do the same to her garden salad.

So they Thai-ize her food, just because she's Thai. I never hear her complain.

I tried Thai food. Hated it. Still do.
How can you hate food? Isn’t it strange that expats hate Thai food, but they wouldn’t say no to a hamburger or Pizza?

I love lots of food, including Tex-Mex. I usually hate of the most the ingredients in most Thai food. You don't have to love phet maak or other ingredients to enjoy Thailand.

There's an American restaurant down here in Krabi that serves Steak and potatoes, hamburger and french fries, etc. For my wife, they add fish belly sauce and chillies to her burger before grilling it. They also do the same to her garden salad.

That's an interesting story. Happy she likes the food there. If you presented that as some kind of rationale that none of us are complaining about our food being modified based on our racial appearance, well, please have a look at the poll results.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, my wife has trouble talking when she's got chili burn too! It's actually a good thing, I think. Shuts her up for a bit. Edited by Tenchu

I don't like it either, but at the same time, have never had a problem when asking them to cook it Thai style. I always just make sure to explain it to them in Thai while ordering, and have never had an issue.

The odd times when I don't specify, and get bland food, I'm not angry at all. If anything, I'm grateful to be in a country where the locals are looking out for me, and going out of their way to accomodate me. That doesn't happen in alot of countries.

I don't like it either, but at the same time, have never had a problem when asking them to cook it Thai style. I always just make sure to explain it to them in Thai while ordering, and have never had an issue.

The odd times when I don't specify, and get bland food, I'm not angry at all. If anything, I'm grateful to be in a country where the locals are looking out for me, and going out of their way to accomodate me. That doesn't happen in alot of countries.

So serving food that is not to your liking and made that way based on questionable racial stereotypes, for which payment is demanded is pleasing to you because of the "good intention" of the servers. I will never understand that. You don't eat the intentions or (usually) the servers. You order Thai food to eat THAI food.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't like it . It 's not Thai food then.

I like spicy that it can make me sweat. and some fired feeling in my mouth.

Well, I think the best way is eatting on street .. Most of them are really Thaifood for Thais .

Edited by hawthorne

I don't like it . It 's not Thai food then.

I like spicy that it can make me sweat. and some fired feeling in my mouth.

Well, I think the best way is eatting on street .. Most of them are really Thaifood for Thais .

You're preaching the choir. Yeah. Fired my mouth. Oh yeah!

Time for a rant: Made to order stall down the soi from my condo, passed by a couple times thought I'd give it a shot. Gave my order in Thai and was politely asked if I wanted it spicy. I replied yes, make it just as spicy as you would for a Thai person. When I got home I noticed there was no chili whatsoever. Went back a second time, made sure to speak slowly, disappointed same result. Even had my girlfriend go with me and order, but again same thing, he just refuses to put any chili in my food! I'll never go back now...

What I dislike more is when they assume that I only eat 'french fried' even after I have spoken in, and only, Thai upon entering the bar/restaurant!?!?!?!

I cannot read Thai so that when I ask them to tell me what is on the menu they reply 'french fried'!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!

• 1 month later...

Back for a small rant. Today I went to a place I like when they cook it right. Ordered some tom yum, looked the guy in the eye, said BOTH phet phet AND phet maak maak, he appeared to acknowledge and the food came 100 percent mai phet, no chile at all. This happened there before as well. I did eat it (don't ask me why) but talked to the waiter later. I asked him about it and he appeared to understand that I asked for it spicy and he indicated he did tell the cooks, but then he BLAMED the cooks (who can see customers) for the problem. Now I don't know whether he really told the cook phet phet or not but I am sure the cook either was told farang style and or saw the farang and did it that way. (There is no way they would ever serve such bland tom yum to a Thai unless the Thai explicitly asked for it.)

So now the question, what more can a person possibly say to avoid what happened today? Something more dramatic than both phet phet AND phet maak maak? I am at a loss on this. Please help. Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

JT,i am so sorry that you had to endure such a dramatic experience(for the soul) that goes further beyond the taste of the meal.

All the help i can offer is to share a even worse experience in Benares some thirty yrs ago.

I ordered(in basic Hindi) a plate of spinach with NO CHILLIE,they brought spinach with lots of CHINNIE(sugar).

I went almost totally mad, threatened to kill them all,and went out without paying(I was 21,you know)

Now,i'm still convinced they did it on purpose,and that made me crazy. :)

It might take some time,but you'll get over it.

I should have your problems of asking for not spicy and getting super spicy. Maybe that's the trick of it -- asking for what you DON'T want! I wouldn't care so much if I really didn't like that restaurant when they do it right. Its such a crap shoot though.

I'm not keen on the Thais making it less spicy for farangs i have the same problem in Holland with food i expect to be spicy and it isn't. That said i have met many Thais who do not like their food too spicy so who knows.

Tom Yam without chillies :) cannot be??

The only thing worse than no chillies is sugar! heaps and heaps of sugar!

Why not just put a bowl of sugar on the blumin table let people decide how sweet they want it?

Chilly is more difficult because its better if you cook it with the sauce but sugar dissolves very easy.

I can't eat out any more because the food is just to sweat :D

Do you really want all your meat on the bone and without the gristle and integument removed, pepped up with a sprinkling of mixed offal?

Integument ... nice word :D

For the record Thais are usually (happily) impressed by the megatonnage I can handle. But chillis have their own special TASTE. I like that taste as a part of the mixture of spices, especially the little green demons. It's not just about hot - if the food's not well done then obviously no amount of chilli can really save things. But I've never yet come across Thai meals I didn't like, even if I rarely do bugs.

However I don't like more than a few mouthfuls of Lao som tam, the fish sauce is too much for me in larger quantities. I love the Thai version, can eat it till it comes out my ears. First thing I do on arrival is always som tam + ghaeng khia waeng on the corner of the soi. :)

Sigh ... roll on May

Ahh you mean Som Tam with the fresh water crabs? Lovely :D

Can't eat the fermented fish myself if they leave it out I don't mind :D