Thai Government Seeking International Help In Capturing Thaksin

webfact

This thread is about the current Thai government, undemocratic as it may be, attempting to seek international cooperation in their weak pursuit of Thaksin. In reality, not only will they find little international cooperation, but they were not trying very hard to keep Thaksin in Thailand when he was here. They need his diversion to distract from the lack of elections.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is about the current Thai government, undemocratic as it may be, attempting to seek international cooperation in their weak pursuit of Thaksin. In reality, not only will they find little international cooperation, but they were not trying very hard to keep Thaksin in Thailand when he was here. They need his diversion to distract from the lack of elections.

Well, since Thaksin has been barred from entering any "first world" country, I would say the are receiving quite a bit of cooperation. He is not launching his mudslinging from London, New York, Paris, or Moscow. Its Fiji, Cambodia, Chad, Darfur, etc. But then again, he is probably much more comfortably in those kind of places.

If they need the diversion then why are their opponents both local and regional giving them so much soft ammunition? What Hun Sen and Thaksin have done is like a dream for Abhisit in local terms althouhg slightly embarrasing considering his role in the upcoming meeting and it shpould be noted that every time Abhisit has to attend a meeting Thaksin will do something to try and discredit him. It is almost like a personal thing.

If Thaksin and Hun Sen had stood back ands waited the government would have been on the verge of collapse over the G16 thing. However, in that period Thaksin would likely have seen his assets seized finally and anbyone who thinks that isnt a driving force in what is going on now is utterly delusional. Hun Sen has also managed to dodge any internal criticism and drape himself in the flag of Cambodian nationalism yet again to increase his popularity. None of this is about change of government or democracy or about the poor and oppressed of either country.

The Thai government wont get help from the international community in arresting Thaksin and having an extradition hearing except from coutries where there are formal rules over these things and an extradition hearing will be heard but extradition itself maybe very unlikely. However, these countries are unlikely to grant a visa to Thaksin in the first place as he is a convicted criminal and that usually makes visa issuance difficult. It also allows an easy out on having both such a poltically orientated hearing and a person who will not stay quiet when in their country.

Was that not a different government, which was not trying very hard to keep Thaksin in Thailand pre-conviction, from the current government now trying to retrieve him, after he has been convicted.

It is easy but wrong, to blame the current government, for having let him abscond. :)

Sure, we blame the present government. But that has little to do with Thaksin. It's their lack of ability to govern and the manner in which they seized power and the unsavory alliances they have forged, but mostly just because of who they are, and who they defend.

Was that not a different government, which was not trying very hard to keep Thaksin in Thailand pre-conviction, from the current government now trying to retrieve him, after he has been convicted.

It is easy but wrong, to blame the current government, for having let him abscond. :)

Sure, we blame the present government. But that has little to do with Thaksin. It's their lack of ability to govern and the manner in which they seized power and the unsavory alliances they have forged, but mostly just because of who they are, and who they defend.

Please read my post again.

I didn't say that it had anything "to do with Thaksin", I just pointed out that you were blaming the current government for something which happened, before they came to power.

Your reply seems to be that you don't like the current government, for various reasons, so it's OK to blame them, regardless of the facts. I myself prefer to try to keep to the facts. Call it a character-failing of mine. :D

]Since he has already basically got a pardon on the cambodian side, Interpol cannot touch him in cambodia.

Ummm I suspect that Cambodia has NO ability to forgive or pardon breaches of other countries laws. In fact, I will bet my lunch money on it.

Wonderful Ummm. You must be English. I was tempted to reply but my language would have been more choice.

Do you live here AWD ?

The reason I ask is because you don't seem to know a lot abut what is going on right now.

As Hammered said to you, you always seem to be be prattling on about past issues.

Then, when you are are challenged, as you were in an earlier post, your answer is "whatever"......that's not an answer.

Anyone who lives here, knows this is fast spiralling into a major catastrophy.

There are no textbook answers, or texbook reasons, as to why we find this country, on the verge of falling off the cliff.

Sure there are particular events - including some which are difficult to comment on - which can be sighted. But, it is over simplistic in the extreme, to isloate one thing such as the coup and it's results. It's far, far more than that.

It's also on both sides - do you hear me ?

The causes are on both sides !!!

Do you live here AWD ?

The reason I ask is because you don't seem to know a lot abut what is going on right now.

As Hammered said to you, you always seem to be be prattling on about past issues.

Then, when you are are challenged, as you were in an earlier post, your answer is "whatever"......that's not an answer.

There are no textbook answers, or texbook reasons, as to why we find this country, on the verge of falling off the cliff.

Sure there are particular events - including some which are difficult to comment on - which can be sighted. But, it is over simplistic in the extreme, to isloate one thing such as the coup and it's results. It's far, far more than that.

It's obvious I've been here far longer than you have. That said, I agree with you, at least in this post. I think the folks that blame everything on Thaksin and sing angelic praises of the PAD and Abhisit need desperately to understand your words.

Do you live here AWD ?

The causes also wont be addressed by the leaderships of either side. It will be interesting to see how this all moves on from here.

I think the folks that blame everything on Thaksin and sing angelic praises of the PAD and Abhisit need desperately to understand your words.

People don't blame everything on Thaksin. That's in your head.

Nor do people sing angelic praises of the PAD. That's also in your head.

Some people simply don't like Thaksin. You seem to have trouble accepting that, and desperately look for an angle to attack back, seeing as you can't defend. There is nothing to attack though, so you end up creating this nonsense in your head.

I think the folks that blame everything on Thaksin and sing angelic praises of the PAD and Abhisit need desperately to understand your words.

Some people simply don't like Thaksin. You seem to have trouble accepting that, and desperately look for an angle to attack back, seeing as you can't defend. There is nothing to attack though, so you end up creating this nonsense in your head.

So, people don't blame everything on Thaksin and no one sings angelic praises of the PAD? I think we agree! Yeah!!! I knew we'd find common ground one fine day...

So, people don't blame everything on Thaksin and no one sings angelic praises of the PAD? I think we agree! Yeah!!! I knew we'd find common ground one fine day...

Infact, if you look over the posters here, there have been a few fanatical red fans (Thai, currently not posting) that was 100% vs 0% in understanding on Thaksin vs Democrats/everyone else, but I cannot remember other users being the opposite... No-one is claiming PAD is a gift from God and the best thing since sliced bread. And those that would be close to thinking that wouldn't like the democratic government very much either, so it is kinda nonsensical to be trying to paint it as 2 major sides in this conflict and that everyone is so extremely biased.

A lot of people dislike Thaksin, sure, but don't exaggerate the levels of hate.

From your last flippant comment, it looks like you're just a flamer.

As for your length of time in the Kingdom - how do you know how long I've been here ?

During my time I've seen 11 Prime Ministers (a couple of them more than once) and even more governments - now, what about you, in this truth session - or were you just flaming me too ?

As for your length of time in the Kingdom - how do you know how long I've been here ?

During my time I've seen 11 Prime Ministers (a couple of them more than once) and even more governments - now, what about you, in this truth session - or were you just flaming me too ?

Well, I haven't been here significantly longer than you. While I enjoy much of the banter on this forum, I find your endless accusations and name-calling boring and lacking in a Thai style friendliness.

Well, I haven't been here significantly longer than you. While I enjoy much of the banter on this forum, I find your endless accusations and name-calling boring and lacking in a Thai style friendliness.

I would say, to give a response like this, you might have been here for some years, but have not learnt much about how the place works.

As for the name calling...where ?

Taking an alternative tact, one might ask hypothetically: if T-Squared was taken by Thai authorities and went through all the legal procedures and convictions.......would things really be any different? :)

Good point. Is the Abhisit government hanging by a thin thread which would be cut by Thaksin's return? My guess would be that in the hypothetical "capture" by authorities of the present administration, street protests would erupt while he was awaiting trial and "elites" would suffer by being named by Thaksin during trial. Of course, this is just hypothetical as I don't think Thaksin wants to return to face trial, and I think Abhisit wants a Thaksin trial even less.

The dance of Prime Ministers is entertaining. So far I've seen 13 come and go. But who's counting?

Edited by awd

Taking an alternative tact, one might ask hypothetically: if T-Squared was taken by Thai authorities and went through all the legal procedures and convictions.......would things really be any different? :)

Good point. Is the Abhisit government hanging by a thin thread which would be cut by Thaksin's return? My guess would be that in the hypothetical "capture" by authorities of the present administration, street protests would erupt while he was awaiting trial and "elites" would suffer by being named by Thaksin during trial. Of course, this is just hypothetical as I don't think Thaksin wants to return to face trial, and I think Abhisit wants a Thaksin trial even less.

The dance of Prime Ministers is entertaining. So far I've seen 13 come and go. But who's counting?

Distractions and misdirection. Nothing more, nothing less. Quite assurdedly, Thaksin is far from a saint. A scallywag and charlatan, he is. But then, isn't everyone in Thai government circles? This whole Thaksin affair charade for the last 5 years has little to do with mending and progressing in a steadfast manner.

Distractions and misdirection. Nothing more, nothing less. Quite assurdedly, Thaksin is far from a saint. A scallywag and charlatan, he is. But then, isn't everyone in Thai government circles? This whole Thaksin affair charade for the last 5 years has little to do with mending and progressing in a steadfast manner.

Well put

My guess would be that in the hypothetical "capture" by authorities of the present administration, street protests would erupt while he was awaiting trial and "elites" would suffer by being named by Thaksin during trial.

What's stopping him from naming and shaming now then?

My guess would be that in the hypothetical "capture" by authorities of the present administration, street protests would erupt while he was awaiting trial and "elites" would suffer by being named by Thaksin during trial.

What's stopping him from naming and shaming now then?

This wouldn't be to his political advantage presently. He's holding such cards as insurance. {again hypothetically} Not that revealing info would ever be suppressed regarding said judiciary process.