Thai Government Seeking International Help In Capturing Thaksin

webfact

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm I suspect that Cambodia has NO ability to forgive or pardon breaches of other countries laws. In fact, I will bet my lunch money on it.

Just a reminder gambling is illegal in Thailand and should not be discussed on these forums :)

Anyways to add some feedback on the rest of what is bolded, in some cases you'd lose that bet,if not worded carefully. In order for a person to be extradited the crime they are charged with must be illegal in both the country they are located and the country they are charged. With so many dam_n laws there are ways to do this for any person, but when sides don't agree a country can give protection in numerous different ways that would be similar to forgiving their crime, though not exactly, so really its a technicality in wording.

Thaksin's UK visa was cancelled when he was out of the country.It seemed a slightly mysterious decision at the time since the charge he had been found guilty of in the Thai courts was a trivial one (don't bother commenting on this please!).However over time the rationale of the UK has become clear.Thailand is an important country for the UK partly because of the huge tourist flows, but there also other longstanding interests including trade.Basically the UK and Thailand are good friends.

It appeared that Thailand was about to launch extradition proceedings and at a political level this was something the UK wanted to avoid.The problem would have been a court battle in the UK which would have seen Thaksin's expensive and super efficient lawyers demolish the Thai case which for all but the incurably naive was primarily politically motivated.This is something the Foreign Office wanted to avoid and since there is nobody more ruthless and unsentimental than the British in defending their national interests a fast one was sprung on Thaksin when he was outside the UK.It didn't help Thaksin's cause that as a type he didn't impress the Brit ruling class at all (actually for the same reasons he doesn't impress the Bangkok elite that much, namely because he is a pushy and vulgar Jek not to say illiberal outsider.) He could never ring the bells Abhisit can or for that matter another saintly Oxonian, Aung San Suu Kyi.

Anyway the point here is that the same problem with extradition remains.There ain't much of a case especially if it can be demonstrated -which it can-the proceedings are politically motivated.In the case of Thailand and Cambodia, it doesn't help that the FM leading the charge is seen by the international community as someone supporting terrorism.And of course in the instance of Kasit he has a record of racist abuse towards the Cambodians.Sure doesn"t help but for those who have visions of Interpol bringing Thaksin back to Bangkok in chains, dream on guys.

Thaksin lives on this sort of publicity.

Millions of people in Isaan now see him advising the Cambodian government and think Thailand is missing out.

Now Abhisis is about to wind up with egg all over his face.

My guess is that Interpol will simply tell Thailand that everyone knows where Thaksin is and it is for Thailand to convince Cambodia to extradite him.

Sore losers.... They do precisely as Thaksin wants. They undermine their own credibility. If Thskin returns he would either get killed before he leaves the airport or five million voters will run amok in Bangkok. Either way, he is traveling on an diplomatic passport. Maybe there is a chance that they will lock up the Thai foreign minister soon too, After all he is indicted on counts of economic terrorism, a bit more serious than the mocked up charge of "conflict of interest" on which Thaksin has been sentenced.

So far so good for Thaksin, the yellow shirts are soon back on the street they are calling for war, but they are of course irresponsible people, so there is a good chance that there will be a house dissolution. We will see afterwards who is right Thaksin's Peu Thai or the Democratic party. I put my money on Peu Thai.

With most countries considering the FM a terrorist for his involvement in the airport takeover and their lack of respect for the coup, I doubt any will be willing to assist the present Thai government in its witchhunts.

Please name the countries that consider the FM to be a terrorist.

And lack of respect for the coup...isn't that a good thing? Or did you stumble on the keys again? :)

Sore losers.... They do precisely as Thaksin wants. They undermine their own credibility. If Thskin returns he would either get killed before he leaves the airport or five million voters will run amok in Bangkok. Either way, he is traveling on an diplomatic passport. Maybe there is a chance that they will lock up the Thai foreign minister soon too, After all he is indicted on counts of economic terrorism, a bit more serious than the mocked up charge of "conflict of interest" on which Thaksin has been sentenced.

So far so good for Thaksin, the yellow shirts are soon back on the street they are calling for war, but they are of course irresponsible people, so there is a good chance that there will be a house dissolution. We will see afterwards who is right Thaksin's Peu Thai or the Democratic party. I put my money on Peu Thai.

His Diplomatic passport was cencelled months and months ago.

I don't think Interpol can arrest anyone, can they?

And what you think go happen iff they arrest him...? Do they really wish to have an uprising here in Thailand..not forget how many follow him ....

What uprising? The red showed already the best they can.

2000-3000 people hardcore supporters

50.000 if they pay everyone 200-500 Baht.

The last "mass-demonstrations" were such a shame that they might be the reason for Thaksins desperate attempt to get more attention.

The usual uneducated guy in Isaan may like Thaksin because he gave him 500 Baht, but when it turns to a Thailand against Cambodia they stay with Thailand.

Cambodia is not very popular.

Even that all is just media non sense.

That all might not be logic but it is the way it works. The enemy from outside.

YELLOW SHIRT CROWD: A Thaksin! A Thaksin! A Thaksin! We've got a Thaksin! A Thaksin!

YELLOW SHIRT #1: We have found a Thaksin, might we burn him?

YELLOW SHORT CROWD: Burn him! Burn!

INTERPOL: How do you know he is a Thaksin?

YELLOW SHIRT #2: He looks like one.

INTERPOL: Bring him forward.

THAKSIN: I'm not a Thaksin. I'm not a Thaksin.

INTERPOL: But you are dressed as one.

THAKSIN: They dressed me up like this.

YELLOW SHIRTS: No, we didn't... no.

THAKSIN: And this isn't my square head, it's a false one.

INTEPOL: Well?

YELLOW SHIRT #1: Well, we did do the square head.

INTERPOL: The side parting?

YELLOW SHIRT #1: And the smirk -- but he's is a Thaksin!

YELLOW SHIRT CROWD: Burn him! Thaksin! Thaksin! Burn him!

INTERPOL: Did you dress him up like this?

YELLOW SHIRT CROWD: No, no... no ... yes. Yes, yes, a bit, a bit.

YELLOW SHIRT #1: He's has got multiple passports.

INTERPOL: What makes you think he's is a Thaksin?

YELLOW SHIRT #3: Well, she turned me into a Red Shirt.

INTERPOL: A Red Shirt?

YELLOW SHIRT #3: I got better.

YELLOW SHIRT #2: Burn him anyway!

YELLOW SHIRT CROWD: Burn! Burn him!

INTERPOL: Quiet, quiet. Quiet! There are ways of telling whether

he is a Thaksin.

YELLOW SHIRT CROWD: Are there? What are they?

INTERPOL: Tell me, what do you do with Thaksin's?

YELLOW SHIRT #2: Burn!

YELLOW SHIRT CROWD: Burn, burn them up!

INTERPOL: And what do you burn apart from Thaksin's?

YELLOW SHIRT #1: More Thaksin's!

YELLOW SHIRT #2: Dry buffalo dung!

INTERPOL: So, why do Thaksin's burn?

[pause]

YELLOW SHIRT #3: B--... 'cause they're made of dry buffalo dung...?

INTERPOL: Good!

YELLOW SHIRT CROWD: Oh yeah, yeah...

INTERPOL: So, how do we tell whether he is made of dry buffalo dung ?

YELLOW SHIRT #1: Build a house out of him.

INTERPOL: Aah, but can you not also build a house out of stone?

YELLOW SHIRT #2: Oh, yeah.

INTERPOL: Does dung sink in water?

YELLOW SHIRT #1: No, no.

YELLOW SHIRT #2: It floats! It floats!

YELLOW SHIRT #1: Throw him into the klong!

YELLOW SHIRT CROWD: The klong!

INTERPOL: What also floats in water?

YELLOW SHIRT #1: Corn!

YELLOW SHIRT #2: Dead fish!

YELLOW SHIRT #3: Very small coins!

YELLOW SHIRT #1: Sato!

YELLOW SHIRT #2: Khao Man Gai!

YELLOW SHIRT #1: Cherry apples!

YELLOW SHIRT #2: Mud!

YELLOW SHIRT #3: tuk tuk -- tuk tuk's!

YELLOW SHIRT #2: Gold -- Gold!

INTERNATIONAL OBSERVER: A duck.

YELLOW SHIRT CROWD: Oooh.

INTERPOL: Exactly! So, logically...,

YELLOW SHIRT #1: If... he.. weighs the same as a duck, he's made of dry buffalo dung.

INTERPOL: And therefore--?

YELLOW SHIRT #1: A Thaksin!

YELLOW SHIRT CROWD: A Thaksin!

INTERPOL: We shall use my larger scales!

[yelling]

INTERPOL: Right, remove the supports!

[whop]

[creak]..THAKSIN SIDE IS DOWN COMPARED TO THE DRIED BUFFALO DUNG!

YELLOW SHIRT CROWD: A Thaksin! A Thaksin!

THAKSIN: It's a fair cop.

YELLOW SHIRT CROWD: Burn him! Burn! [yelling]

Now they realized all that might not be enough, since Phnom Penh is keep doing the opposite they want the rest of ASEAN involved. Why all this trouble? Isn't too much to ask from other Asean nations for one man? Doesn't Thai Government have anything else to taek care of? This thing is obviously becoming ridiculous! :)

Good question. Will Asean apply pressure against Cambodia on Thailands behalf, and if so what kind of pressure can Asean apply? This could be a great test of Asean and its future.

Cambodia's recent activities with Thaksin really scaring thai gov......i wonder why..

I don't think it's about being scared. He is doing irrepairable damage to the country so something had to give.

he is rather doing irreparable damage to HIMSELF but he is too stupid, selfish and living in his very own self-created-reality, so he doesn't even realize that.

it doesn't come from nowhere that the Thai governments' support rates skyrocketed in the past few days....

Leave the poor guy alone for chrissakes

Yeah, he's only down to his last 200 million US. Poor bloke. :)

Plus the billions of baht of his which is frozen in Thailand.

Doesnt he have several businesses in Cambodia as well? Or did he somehow lose those?

Interpol cant do anything. Thaksin is not going to be extradited.

Anyway this issue isnt the big one being talked about by all Thais today.

Thaksin will likely not stay in Cambodia for long either for other reasons. He also seems to have ignored requests by certain PTP heavyweights to turn down the job offer. He has definitely turned down their requests not to go to Cambodia. There is probably a disagreement on tactics and maybe even strategy right now. Maybe their aims are even different.

In the meantime Hun Sen will crank things up if he can as it suits him and not Thailand. Whether that also suits Thaksin remains to be seen and the split in opinion apparent within PTP hierarchy over it is interesting.

Cambodia's recent activities with Thaksin really scaring thai gov......i wonder why..

I don't think it's about being scared. He is doing irrepairable damage to the country so something had to give.

They should have done it a long time ago. Get this matter resolved once and for all so the country can move on.

Pfui. The only reason he's able to do any damage is because a majority of Thai citizens, and many citizens of other countries, dislike governments being installed by coups d'etat. And before you say Abhisit's government wasn't installed by coup, think about what it means when the Army locks up members of Parliament in a hotel until they agree with the Army commander's "advice." It's just the continuation of September 2006.

Just use instead of Thailand and Cambodia, France and Germany or Czech republic and Hungary. You would get very similar reactions.

Or think Venezuela makes Bin Laden to his adviser.

Comparing Thaksin to Bin Laden is pushing it a little, no? May as well compare Abhisit to Madonna.

And what you think go happen iff they arrest him...? Do they really wish to have an uprising here in Thailand..not forget how many follow him ....

I think ur right, sad but true

Looking at the Interpol page linked to earlier.. Interpol Site

INTERPOL’s constitution prohibits ‘any intervention or activities of a political, military, religious or racial character.’

Nuff said..

Why don't they just put a bounty on his head? .. 50,000,000 Baht?

.. surely some Arnold, Sean, Sylvester, Jean Claude type out there could drag him in squealing. He's in a great spot (Cambo) ... could smuggle him in overland .. or maybe if they managed to man handle him all the way to the Thai border .... would the Border officials co-operate and let them bring him in?

That's what I am thinking. Shouldn't this govt. just leave this alone and let the story die? What is going to happen if they bring him hear, handcuff him, and send him to jail? There will be a massive uprising. Civil war. But maybe I'm wrong...

Stop writing about Taxin? you must be joking! This saga is better than most of the best selling thrillers I have read (and I have read a few) and I just can't wait to see what the next exciting episode is going to be about and how the baddies or goodies are going to out manouvre each other next. And think of all the newspaper hounds that would suddenly be made redundant. Shame on you :) .

With most countries considering the FM a terrorist for his involvement in the airport takeover and their lack of respect for the coup, I doubt any will be willing to assist the present Thai government in its witchhunts.

While I disagree on your witch hunt comment, it is evident that you are correct in that many countries are not honoring Thailand's arrest warrant for Thaksin. Still, we continue to read how Thai authorities capture criminals from other countries. Obviously, some nations have no respect for laws of other countries, but expect everyone to help them. For me, I don't think this is something to be commended.

I imagine Hun Sen going through his mail in the morning.

"Test drive the new Isuzu MU 7 Platinum.....Index Living Mall shower promotion.....Big C Back To School brochure.....Extradition request from the Thai government...10mb internet 1300 baht per month......More bloody junk!"

They should have done it a long time ago. Get this matter resolved once and for all so the country can move on.

You must be kidding right? The Thai people elected Thaksin and the "other" political party with the help of the military took over when Thaksin was out of the country. The current government is a sham without the people's support. Thaksin is the rightful democratic leader of Thailand. Thaksin's a good businessman and was good for Thailand. Even if he profited from government contracts ............ any government leadership would do the same thing. All politicians are crooks in ALL Countries. I would rather have a good businessman running the country than the people currently in office.

Just use instead of Thailand and Cambodia, France and Germany or Czech republic and Hungary. You would get very similar reactions.

Or think Venezuela makes Bin Laden to his adviser.

Comparing Thaksin to Bin Laden is pushing it a little, no? May as well compare Abhisit to Madonna.

3000 people murdered from Thaksin makes him only to a c class mass murder, but this is just an example.

Abhisit is almost as pretty as Madonna :)