Recycling In Bangkok

KhaoTan

Since we have been living here in BKK the last 2 months, (this is our 2nd time, first was 2000-02), I have been maintaining my recycling habits and separating paper, glass, plastic and tins into separate piles. We live near Sukhumvit Soi 36 where I understood there was some kind of recycling center, so I thought it would be convenient for the Mae Baan to take these things and perhaps make a tiny bit of money.

She told me yesterday that a box of Singha large glass bottles (about 8) were worth only like 7 baht. She said cans were worth a bit more, and as she doesn't speak very much English, I was left with the assumption that I should just throw away the glass. I am not even sure if the paper recycling is worth it as she told me regarding paper that they must accumulate a HUGE amount before bringing it to the recycler.

I see the old women/men sorting through trash on the street everyday and can't help but think it would be a shame not to continue separating if nothing else but to make their life easier.

Does anyone else out there recycle, and if so do you have any helpful hints for me. Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated. (My first post here!)

Hi KhaoTan,

there are some recycling groups made of Bangkok residents who organise waste collection but the website I once knew of is all in Thai.

I would contact some recycling companies and ask for advice and take it from there.

Fine Earth Company Limited

31 Soi On Nuch 44, Sukhumvit Road, Suan Luang, Bangkok 10250

084-7678978‎

Total Recycling (International) Company Limited

522/180 Soi Ramkhamhang 39, Ramkhamhang Road, Wang Thong Lang, Bangkok 10230

Asia Recycling Co.,Ltd.

Khew Hoe

30/8-9 M.1 Samwa Rd,

Bangchan, Klong Samwa,

Bangkok 10510

Thailand

Tel : 02 906-2150-7

Fax :02 906-2158

E-mail : [email protected]

Categories: Packaging, Paper

Also, there is a company based in Phitsanulok which might have branches in Bangkok. Here's the link of a report about their work.

http://ns.ist.cmu.ac.th/riseat/documents/wongpan.pdf

I will ask my Bangkokian friends how they handle their recycling and if they have useful info I'll send it to you.

The great thing about living in Thailand is that you don't need to recycle, the guys on the bin wagon do it for you. Have you not seen how they eagerly rip open your rubbish bags and separate all the glass, plastic, paper etc to sell later.

Win - win IMO.

interesting topic, since quite some time I was considering asking the same thing here in the forum.

but I agree with QED.

what I do nowadays is to collect glass, cans and paper separately, and then place it easily visible (in a plastic bag or so) next to the rubbish bins or on top of them.

soon later these bags have disappeared. I don't know if it's someone of the local residents here, or the usual scavengers, but at least it seems to make sense and it's going into the recycling-circle and that's all I want. and not much of a hassle for me as well......

Our back balcony overlooks a lovely wooded moo ban and, to the right, a towering condo. Every few days I hear the loud crunching and look to the parking area of the condo where the workers are going through all the trash and separating it for recycling. So yes, at least some places do it. The crunch, BTW, are them stepping on the aluminum cans.