Mahasarakham

Vegemite

I like you Ray .

Great post .

Well thanks that was very kind of you!

Thoughts for our vactioner, I had some great Burrito's for dinner tonight so it can be done LOL

True , it can be done but at a price . Farang food does cost more . Also look to see if its old . I tried some " Thai / german Co. " ham in the pkg. and was sick for two weeks .... but I did lose weight . Now for the most part I stick with what my wife's cooking , as long as its not moving :o

Very ture just because it's packaged here doesn't mean the qaulity is good. For bacon and Ham we found a family in Nong Kia who smokes thier own and it is great. That is a part of the learning curve. Found another small butchers shop in Udon with good qauility beef I beleive from the Khan Kean area. It is very correct to say Thai food will be cheaper here. Our family eats a combination of foods. It's a rare day when I don't have Thai food for lunch.

OH,  I wish I could write like Ray.

Post of the month award for Ray please.

And I wish I could type and spell as well a you, so I think we are very even.

Actually I started a book when I first got here, but it was really to excercise my own demons. I'm still a beginner myself after three years and learn everyday, many more people on tis forum much more qaulified then I.

I`ll tell you what, it wasn`t finding Thai Visa that has opened my eyes it was finding Ray23.

You have definately read me right. I am only going for a vacation and have no plans to live in the Isaan at present also I have been to Thailand on holiday but not up there. Just as an aside, I stayed away from the brothels while in Thailand.

Please don`t get me wrong, I have nothing against that stuff and I have vises ( or habits ) that I am not very proud of but she is a bloody good lady.

Yes I have seen her climb trees- hard to keep her out of them sometimes.

Yes I have seen her eat sticky rice with rotten boong or dried fish that smells so bad that I have to leave- not so bad, pub not far.

No I have never seen her take 5 showers per day. In winter she doesn`t like to have any.

One thing that you said that I would like to know more about is the dowrey.

I have read a bit about this on Thai Visa. I have no plans to pay a dowrey. My wife has been married twice before me and I presume that the other two paid a dowrey. The way that I see it is, a daughter can marry ten times but how many of those ten will pay the family? All? If a family has 7 daughters ?????

What are the chances of the family hitting me up for this when I meet them?

Thanks again for your imput Ray, your are worth your wieght in gold.

One thing that you said that I would like to know more about is the dowrey.

I have read a bit about this on Thai Visa. I have no plans to pay a dowrey. My wife has been married twice before me and I presume that the other two paid a dowrey. The way that I see it is, a daughter can marry ten times but how many of those ten will pay the family? All? If a family has 7 daughters ?????

What are the chances of the family hitting me up for this when I meet them?

Thanks again for your imput Ray, your are worth your wieght in gold.

Talk to your girl about this first. I did and we had a mutual agreement with the family that way, due to my financial situation and the fact that we were going to marry, regardless if her family blessed it or not (luckily they did) :o

OH,  I wish I could write like Ray.

Post of the month award for Ray please.

Post of the year award for Ray please .

Well the dowery is supposed to be for a first time wedding, I like the idea someone came up with talk it over with her. She is going to want to show off her new life, just natural.

In the end as they say here Up To You !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for that expatgaz.

The wife is in Thailand at the moment hence the reason that I can spend so much time on the internet. I speak with her every day and we were talking about the best place to stay and she seems to think that Roi et would be better. Have you been there and if so what do you think?

Roi et Not been. I've stayed in Maha sarakharm as my wife is from a village abt 20 minutes out.The hotel is first class but to be honest very little to do there.

That's the beauty of small towns in Isaan .............. not needing to eat in places like Pizza Hut and KFCack helps too in appreciating the finer side of life.

As an aside, met an old boy at a kwitiow joint in Yang Talad last night. Sat down at my table and yarned, in fact he didn't stop talking for 45 mins. Reminded me a bit of Steptoe - only less teeth and dirtier minded. Used to work in Saudi for 3 solid years, about 25 years ago. Proudly dug out his old ID card for me to see. The lack of booze and women must have been bloody hard, unlike the expats from the West working there now who get R&R in Thailand every 6 months or so.

Turns out he has a daughter who married a Canadian and now sends him 10,000 baht a month. Son in law is loaded, so Grandad See has won the lottery! He just goes out and raises some chickens, ducks and cows each day, then comes back in the evening and drinks the stipend. Happy as Larry. Told me his daughter sent him a couple of bottles of pricey Japanese rice whisky for Songkhran. I said he must have had a good time sharing it with his mates, but he looked at me stangely and whispered that he couldn't do that, it was far too good and expensive for them, so he quietly drank a little bit each day and stood his mates lao kow . They wouldn't appreciate the good stuff, he reckoned. :D

Mean old bugger is Taa See, but it was worth a beer and bowl of kow lao (kind of rice soup) to hear him blether. And meeting old timers like him is the real beauty of Nakhon Nowhere Isaan. Not the standard of hotels or fast food franchises. :o

Thanks for that expatgaz.

The wife is in Thailand at the moment hence the reason that I can spend so much time on the internet. I speak with her every day and we were talking about the best place to stay and she seems to think that Roi et would be better. Have you been there and if so what do you think?

The locals call Roi-et the smiling city :o . Nice for holiday making and settle down if you want. Very nice lake and park in the centre of town. Recommended hotels are Roi et City and Petcharad Garden (swimming pool). 2 more swimming pools in the city. Golf place. Shopping Lotus and Makro with lots of falang food. KFC and Plaza Shopping for Falang size dresses. Best falang food at White Elephant with snooker, dart and free high speed Internet.. Some very good styled Thai restaurants with very friendly :D service. Elegant live music restaurants like 101 and the Glass House. Good styled bars. Airport etc etc

Roi Et,

Would like to know how the medical situation is there. Do you guys have a good hospital or is it just adaquate?

Also you say you have an airport there. Do you have by chancewho flies there and what frequency?

Do you know the name of a real estate person I can contact about rent.

Thanks.

Roi Et,

Would like to know how the medical situation is there.  Do you guys  have a good hospital or is it just adaquate?

Also you say you have an airport there.  Do you have by chancewho flies there and what frequency?

Thanks.

Bangkok Churevet Hospital is upper class and BUPA approved and everybody speaks English.

PB Air flies twice per day to Roi-et

I do not know any Real estate agent. To rent a standalone house is difficult to find, rather by chance. So called town houses are easier to find, you or your wife could invest 1 day and travel around the city.

Roi Et,

Would like to know how the medical situation is there.  Do you guys  have a good hospital or is it just adaquate?

Also you say you have an airport there.  Do you have by chancewho flies there and what frequency?

Thanks.

Bangkok Churevet Hospital is upper class and BUPA approved and everybody speaks English.

PB Air flies twice per day to Roi-et

I do not know any Real estate agent. To rent a standalone house is difficult to find, rather by chance. So called town houses are easier to find, you or your wife could invest 1 day and travel around the city.

The best way and the only way I have found houses here in Udon is drive around the nieghborhood and ask the people who live there. Usually I have found one within a day that I like.

[/quoteThe locals call Roi-et the smiling city :o . Nice for holiday making and settle down if you want. Very nice lake and park in the centre of town. Recommended hotels are Roi et City and Petcharad Garden (swimming pool). 2 more swimming pools in the city. Golf place. Shopping Lotus and Makro with lots of falang food. KFC and Plaza Shopping for Falang size dresses. Best falang food at White Elephant with snooker, dart and free high speed Internet.. Some very good styled Thai restaurants with very friendly :D service. Elegant live music restaurants like 101 and the Glass House. Good styled bars. Airport etc etc

Thanks for the info.

I guess that you live around Roi-et. If we stay at Roi-et do you think that it would be any problem to hire a taxi for a couple of days so that we can visit the inlaws?

Tell me, is the tom yum good there? I can`t stop eating the stuff and since the wife has been away I have had to pay for it at great expense.

Its good to see that some business men know the value of service. Most know the cost of everything and the value of nothing. Talking of Roi Et ....."White Elephant with snooker, dart and free high speed Internet.. " It's a shame that some other 'expat' venues in the Issan do not offer the same.

:o

[/quoteThe locals call Roi-et the smiling city :D . Nice for holiday making and settle down if you want. Very nice lake and park in the centre of town. Recommended hotels are Roi et City and Petcharad Garden (swimming pool). 2 more swimming pools in the city. Golf place. Shopping Lotus and Makro with lots of falang food. KFC and Plaza Shopping for Falang size dresses. Best falang food at White Elephant with snooker, dart and free high speed Internet.. Some very good styled Thai restaurants with very friendly :D service. Elegant live music restaurants like 101 and the Glass House. Good styled bars. Airport etc etc

Thanks for the info.

I guess that you live around Roi-et. If we stay at Roi-et do you think that it would be any problem to hire a taxi for a couple of days so that we can visit the inlaws?

Tell me, is the tom yum good there? I can`t stop eating the stuff and since the wife has been away I have had to pay for it at great expense.

I live outside Roi-et but go there whenever I can. The taxis here are called Tuk- Tuk and are a bit small dimensioned :o . The owner of White Elephant has all the connections and might find a car to hire :D

The food found in good restaurants here tends to be Thai and not Isaan style. Holiday makers will not get lost.

Its good to see that some business men know the value of service. Most know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.  Talking of Roi Et ....."White Elephant with snooker, dart and free high speed Internet.. " It's a shame that some other 'expat' venues in the Issan do not offer the same.

:o

There are other expat venues around Roi-et knowing the value of service. Ponton Zoo free entry. Resort Sawalak in Phanomprai has free swimming in big pool for Bungalow visitors. Happy Resort in Selapum 4 days pay, Number 5 free.

etc etc

Its not only expats providing good service. In Roi-et you get that little extra from lots of business people.

I live outside Roi-et but go there whenever I can. The taxis here are called Tuk- Tuk and are a bit small dimensioned :o . The owner of White Elephant has all the connections and might find a car to hire :D

The food found in good restaurants here tends to be Thai and not Isaan style. Holiday makers will not get lost.

Thanks for that Roiet. I know what a tuk-tuk is and how big. I quite enjoyed blasting around in the things when I was in Bangkok. They were sort of `ruff as guts' in an exciting sort of way. Loved the stink and the noise, awesome.

Do you know how I can get hold of the owner of the white elephant and please tell me where it is in Roi-Et. Also you spoke of the resort Sawalak in Phanomprai, where is Phanomprai? It is not on my map. Is it very close to Roi-Et center?

As far as places to stay go, do you think it is better to book them through a travel agent ( in Thailand or at home before We leave ) or to deal with the hotel directly? It is just that I had an experience in Bangkok where I had booked a package deal with 4 nights included. I decided to stay 1 more night and they asked me if I wanted to go through my travell agent. I thought it would be cheaper to deal directly with the hotel but to my dismay when I came to leave they charged me double what I was paying through the agent and also charged me for 2 nights not 1. I got shafted but didn`t figure it out till much later. Go Thailand.

Thanks for that Roiet. I know what a tuk-tuk is and how big. I quite enjoyed blasting around in the things when I was in Bangkok. They were sort of `ruff as guts' in an exciting sort of way. Loved the stink and the noise, awesome.

Do you know how I can get hold of the owner of the white elephant and please tell me where it is in Roi-Et. Also you spoke of the resort Sawalak in Phanomprai, where is Phanomprai? It is not on my map. Is it very close to Roi-Et center?

As far as places to stay go, do you think it is better to book them through a travel agent ( in Thailand or at home before We leave ) or to deal with the hotel directly? It is just that I had an experience in Bangkok where I had booked a package deal with 4 nights included. I decided to stay 1 more night and they asked me if I wanted to go through my travell agent. I thought it would be cheaper to deal directly with the hotel but to my dismay when I came to leave they charged me double what I was paying through the agent and also charged me for 2 nights not 1. I got shafted but didn`t figure it out till much later. Go Thailand.

Travel agents do not know about these places. Package deals do not exist for these places. The real beauty of Isaan is rather hidden. If you really want to experience the real Isaan take your time and the help of your wife. You could start from Roi-et city Hotel and then walk 50 meters to White Elephant, Tuk Tuk another 300 meters to the swimming pool, lake or KFC etc Enjoy your flexible travel planning

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again, Vegemite!

I went and saw Your village, Kaen, yesterday. A typical village of Issaan. Rather large with a beautiful school, many newbuilt and modern houses among elder. Some small supermarkets, where You can buy all what You want.

The area around the village is calm and beautiful with more trees and forests than use to be normal in Issaan. Not much traffic.

I must say, very impressing. A good place to live in.

Olaus

Thanks very much for your imput Olaus.

My wife`s village is about 2K from Kean and is called Waengchai. Her parents were rice farmers and are now in their 80s. They have land there as you would probably expect and the wife has just been given some. There is talk of us retiring there. I am in my late 40s and still have some time to go before I have to make any decisions. I have to say that I love mangoes and prawns so much that my arm could almost be twisted but there are other issues including income.

I think that you come form a country in the northern hemisphere that is very similar to the country that I come from in the southern hemisphere ( not that hot ).How did you go in the worst of the heat. The wife just came back from the isaan and said that it was the hottest for 20 years up there and that is really something coming from her.

I would love to get your email address and maybe say hello when we are there next year, probably around July-Aug-Sept.

Thanks again and all the best.

• 3 months later...
Yes I do have a sorry tale to tell.

AND so do  thousands  of other falangs out here.

I am not trying to piss on your fireworks just make you aware of the most likely course of events.

Do you really think, your own course of events is the most likely for everyone?

Try positive thinking. It is just the way you put it. Or do you want your bad experience to put every newbie off beautiful Isaan? :o

• 1 year later...
Hello,

I am new to this forum ( or any forum ) and I have a Thai wife from the Isaan. Next year I will be going to upcountry to visit her nine brothers and sisters and ageing parents. My wife comes from the Khaen sub-district of Wapeepathum.

The reason that I have joined this forum is to ask those of you that live there or have visited the area for some or any information on what I can expect.

For me, the thing that worries me the most is the food as I can not eat isaan food for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day and the insects don`t turn me on at all. Is it possible to get farang food. As far as accommodation goes what is the best and the worst place to stay. Can I get a taxi or another form of transport to her village and back without relying on her family. In fact any information would be greatly appreciated.

In reality, my wife will probably organize many things for me but better to be prepared.

Thanks for any input.

Hi my name is John,

I have only just come across your post, regarding Wapipathum.

I am English and I live in Wapipathum, I have been told that I am the only Falang living here, so if you still need any help let me know. As for Falang food Tesco Lotus in Roi-Et in the easiest and best to get to. Roi-Et also has a great park to relax in.

When I go back to the UK I usually bring back food items I cannot find here, like good tea, Oxo cubes etc. It's also difficult to get good cheese here unless you go to the major citys like Bangkok or Pattaya.

Don't try to organise local travel yourself, the family like to take care of the Falang and you may upset them if you try to be to too independant.

As for Wapipathum, according to internet information, the population in the town is around 12,000, but if you include all the nearby villages the population is nearer 25,000.

You cannot buy Falang food here, you have to go to Roi-Et or Maha Sarakham. In fact there are no facilities for Westerners here, only a few Thai Karaoke bars just outside of town. But the people here are really nice and we also have a small market here on Monday and Thursday.

Hello,

I am new to this forum ( or any forum ) and I have a Thai wife from the Isaan. Next year I will be going to upcountry to visit her nine brothers and sisters and ageing parents. My wife comes from the Khaen sub-district of Wapeepathum.

The reason that I have joined this forum is to ask those of you that live there or have visited the area for some or any information on what I can expect.

For me, the thing that worries me the most is the food as I can not eat isaan food for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day and the insects don`t turn me on at all. Is it possible to get farang food. As far as accommodation goes what is the best and the worst place to stay. Can I get a taxi or another form of transport to her village and back without relying on her family. In fact any information would be greatly appreciated.

In reality, my wife will probably organize many things for me but better to be prepared.

Thanks for any input.

Hi my name is John,

I have only just come across your post, regarding Wapipathum.

I am English and I live in Wapipathum, I have been told that I am the only Falang living here, so if you still need any help let me know. As for Falang food Tesco Lotus in Roi-Et in the easiest and best to get to. Roi-Et also has a great park to relax in.

When I go back to the UK I usually bring back food items I cannot find here, like good tea, Oxo cubes etc. It's also difficult to get good cheese here unless you go to the major citys like Bangkok or Pattaya.

Don't try to organise local travel yourself, the family like to take care of the Falang and you may upset them if you try to be to too independant.

As for Wapipathum, according to internet information, the population in the town is around 12,000, but if you include all the nearby villages the population is nearer 25,000.

You cannot buy Falang food here, you have to go to Roi-Et or Maha Sarakham. In fact there are no facilities for Westerners here, only a few Thai Karaoke bars just outside of town. But the people here are really nice and we also have a small market here on Monday and Thursday.

Hello John,

and thankyou for your message.

I have since been to Wapipathum and to Waengchai this year, March 06.

Wapi is a great place to visit when you have been staying at " the village ".

I used the internet shop there and had some really great BBQ chicken.

We will be up that way again next March/April.

Maybe we could cross tracks.

I will PM you.

All the best.