British Woman Raped In Thailand After Two Men Dragged Her Off The Street

george

British woman raped in Thailand after two men dragged her off the street

By Andrew Drummond

PATTAYA: -- A British tourist in Thailand had been raped after being dragged off the street by two men.

She was taken to a hotel where she was raped and then robbed of her belongings.

The woman, aged 25, said the attack happened early Saturday morning in the Thai resort of Pattaya, twenty metres from a police sentry box.

The attack happened after she had been separated from friends.

She said she was unable to resist the two men who, after raping her, took her Natwest bank and credit cards and 60 pounds in cash and a bracelet worth 100 pounds.

Last night police in Pattaya charged two men with rape and theft.

They were named as Krajon Senkam, 29, and Surasak Kovekasan, 20, who were described as local 'maeng da' a Thai expression , literally translating as cockroaches, describing men who live off the earnings of local prostitutes.

Police Colonel Wanlop Kangtharatit said the men were arrested quickly as they were known in the area.

-- dailymail.co.uk 2009-11-17

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pattaya a haven of filth and criminals , Tourists should beware . Parts of that place have its own smell that turn stomachs over. Good on the Daily Mail to highlight something that local media often try to hide, bad publicity.

Edited by sunnymarky

Pattaya a haven of filth and criminals , Tourists should beware . Parts of that place have its own smell that turn stomachs over. Good on the Daily Mail to highlight something that local media often try to hide, bad publicity.

well

shit happens no matter where you live

its not just Pattaya

well

its not just Pattaya

True enough, but in this case it WAS Pattaya...happening elsewhere doesn't make it more acceptable...

Can somebody explain in more detail what the "cockroaches" do for money? Is this common in Thailand? Are they just allowing their wife/girlfriend to work in a bar or is it more like a pimp where they take a cut from many women? What exactly are they doing for the money?

Never heard of something like this in Thailand, unless it's just the girlfriend thing.

well

its not just Pattaya

Pattaya seems to have more than its fair share of filth. Foreigners are relatively safe compared to Thai women though, and what many of them experience, will never hit the newspapers ever.

well

its not just Pattaya

True enough, but in this case it WAS Pattaya...happening elsewhere doesn't make it more acceptable...

Totally agree. Rape is not just 'shit'. ***** If it happened to his/her mother, sister, wife or daughter I'm sure 'it' will change a different tone in 'it's' post.

A horrible case - poor girl. I hope those two bastards aren't HIV positive. The Bangkok Post and Nation seem to have a gentlemen's agreement to avoid reporting news that might damage Thailand's tourist industry. So it is not surprising the Daily Mail printed the story first with ace reporter Andrew Drummond stringing for them and doing a good job IMHO. BTW Andrew a "maeng da" is a type of preying mantis that is used in spicy Isaan sauces, not a coakroach which is "malaeng sap". That is why it is slang for a pimp because they just hang around on the wall waiting for the women to bring home the cash.

I remember a report about prostitution in the 90s written by reputable Thai university professors that claimed that most of the illegal brothels in Bangkok that confined underage foreign prostitutes against their will were located within 50 metres of a police station or police post. Repression of crime is not the primary business of the BIB. It is an armed mafia in uniform and it is surprising there has never been a popular uprising against them. Maybe one day they will get their come uppance even from the passive Thai population.

This is terrible news. This is the reason I NEVER go out alone in Pattaya, not even in Daylight.

I hope the poor Lady recovers from her terrible ordeal, and I hope the Guilty Parties get there just deserts through the Court system.

that's awful, why don't you move?

she must of been in shock or in a remote area not to scream her lungs out, or they were probably armed

Can somebody explain in more detail what the "cockroaches" do for money? Is this common in Thailand? Are they just allowing their wife/girlfriend to work in a bar or is it more like a pimp where they take a cut from many women? What exactly are they doing for the money?

Never heard of something like this in Thailand, unless it's just the girlfriend thing.

There are many varieties, but one is the girlfriend thing. They pick up some young girl, preferably a newcomer or one who doesn't know too much about what's going on, keep her as a girlfriend and let her work in a restaurant, bar, nightclub etc. When she gets pregnant, and most of them do sooner or later, he dumps her, finds another one... and so on.

well

its not just Pattaya

Good reply aenia.

I lived in Pattaya for four years in a different life and have heard of this before.

Yes, maybe it does happen elsewhere but this is not 'shit happens' a lady has been raped for gods sake, show some f*****g compassion.

Lets hope the lady does not suffer long term effects and also that the police and courts do the right thing for once. :)

Can somebody explain in more detail what the "cockroaches" do for money? Is this common in Thailand? Are they just allowing their wife/girlfriend to work in a bar or is it more like a pimp where they take a cut from many women?
Yes, it's just Thai slang for 'pimp'. There is a bug called 'maeng daa" -- it's the really big oval-shaped you see for sale at the fried insect stalls -- but it's certainly not a cockroach ('maeng saap'). The usual translation is 'giant water bug'.

Totally agree. Rape is not just 'shit'. The person who wrote that post is a jacka@@ moron and as we call your type of dirt bag 'aehia!!'. If it happened to his/her mother, sister, wife or daughter I'm sure 'it' will change a different tone in 'it's' post.

You guys nearly need to work out a bit to let steam off. Yes, its a very bad crime but it happens everywhere in the world, EVEN IT DOESNT MAKE IT MORE ACCEPTABLE! Crimes happen.

Yeah, that's a real 'mature' and civilized solution.

10 years ago the girls on the beach were left alone .I never saw low life thai men hanging around .

The few ladyboys were always near the police station where it was quite dark and gloomy.

Over the past 4 years this has changed and now there are many unsavoury men just hanging around near the working girls.

Evidently these men threaten the girls for money or free sex after they are seen returning from some short-time .

The beach outside royal garden to the police station always used to be a safe place to walk-certainly before 10.30 pm which is the time I used to often walk along the beach after dinner.

Now I do not consider it a safe place to walk.

I have to wonder how they managed to drag a woman into a hotel without anyone seeing it.

Then again, I guess a lot of hotels don't have real receptions & such - but a shame that no-one spotted it & reported it to the police.

Poor girl - life will never be the same for her again.

I feel sorry for the girl. Though this can happen anywhere, but to come all the way to amazing Thailand with hope of having good time, as seen in Thai tourism advertisements, thinking its all safe to go to Thailand, and then have an experience to last your lifetime. Its just unacceptable and requires firm action on the part of the Authority. :)

Edited by Avinash

This is terrible news. This is the reason I NEVER go out alone in Pattaya, not even in Daylight.

I hope the poor Lady recovers from her terrible ordeal, and I hope the Guilty Parties get there just deserts through the Court system.

that's awful, why don't you move?

she must of been in shock or in a remote area not to scream her lungs out, or they were probably armed

I do not want to move because I like Pattaya and I like Thailand.

I have lived here for 8 Years - I have learnt to accept the fact that it is dangerous going out (walking) alone especialy at night times, and certain remote places in the daytimes as well.

There are so many beautiful things to do and see which holidaymakers don't get the chance to see in there short stay here.

You been living in a cave?? 'Never heard of something like this in Thailand' the news is flooded with incidents just like this all over the place, What the Maeng Da's do is extort money from prostitiutes, have their own stables, often are married, have several Mia Noi's - pimp out their wives and girlfriends, commit most of the murders between men & women (o just cut them up) because the woman don't bring home enough money...........I've lived all over the country and every little village has their own 'Maeng Da's' maybe not as violent as Pattaya, or Bangkok Soi Cowboy, but they are all over the place......... :):D :D