Non Imm O Extension Based On Thai Wife

A couple of months ago I read that the law had changed and that the extension application had to be supported by 400k or 40k per month based on my income rather than the income of my wife (which we had used for the past few years).

I told my Mrs. this and resigned myself to having a few short holidays next year and gaining short term visas that way.

Last week my wife said that her accountant had put all the necessary documents together for my application. I reminded her what I had read and that we couldn't do it the same way we had in previous years. "Mai pben rai" came the response. She phoned her solicitor "Mai pben rai" was his response "what are they going to do? Kick you out of the country?" (well maybe I thought).

So, I decided to go ahead and apply same as usual. We got to Chang Wattana Immigration and were quickly seated in front of the official (much better than Suan Phlu). She started going through all the documents then said to me "need to see your bank book"...."Mai mee" said I. I expected her to look over her horn rimmed glasses and shake her head. No, she didn't even blink. Her left hand shot out and grabbed a new form. "Sign this" says her. I glanced through the wording and two words in upper case stood out "NEXT YEAR". The gist of the document was that I don't have the money this year and they'll accept my wife's financial documents but next year I have to have the dosh in place.

There's still hope for those of you that might find themselves in the situation I did this year.

The new rules are as cleasr as mud after reading reems of posts, can someone explain it to me like I was a 6yr old, or correct me if I'm wrong as I have been on Non Imm ED for 2yrs, next Jan will be my first step into O class.

As I get it, I go to the consulate get the Non Imm O (single or multi?) return to LOS, at the airport they are only going to give me a 90 days in the Kingdom, at which stage its off to Chaeng Wattana with ???? and 1900 Baht to get the next 90 days, whilst at the same time doing the 90 day reporting thing as usual. Did I miss much?

The ???? is what I need to know, 400K in a fixed deposit with KBank or such, would that be enough to use every time from now on? anything else important. I really should be on top of this and I thought I was until I got smacked with a 2000bht fine today....grrr

Cheers all

oz

You will get a non-O visa, probably single. When you enter Thailand immigration will give you permission to stay in Thailand for 90 days. During the last 30 days of your permission to stay you go to immirgation for an extension of stay based on being married to a Thai. The extensions costs 1,900 baht and is good for 1 year.

For the extension you will need to show an income of 40,000 baht a month or a bankaccount with at least 400,000 baht for the last two months prior to applying. Next to that will come a whole list of other documents you will need to provide to proof you are realy married. Make sure you are registered with immigration at the place your wife is registered at a tabien baan. (ask about the other documents when the time it there).

Do not wait untill the very last day for applying or an extension, but go as soon as you can incase you miss some documents. Put the money in a savingsaccount. The idea is that you can access the money when needed. They will also want to see some withdrawels from the account or from another account to see that you have money to spend.

When going for the money in the bank option be sure that the money doesn't go below 400,000 baht. Also get a letter from the bank about your balence the day you go to immigration. The bank will know what you need.

You will also need.

Wedding Cert. Wife's ID Card and House registration. letter from the bank showing the balance and an up to date bank book .Photos of you and your Wife in and around your house. A map to your house. Your Wife will have to be interviewed and sign a statement.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp. Go back in 30 days and get the extension.

BTW You should be OK with a fixed bank account.

Thank you both gents.

SO.. after the initial 90days granted at Swampy, they will (providing I get all paper work aligned) give me an extension for 1yr, which means that I no longer need to extend the visa every 90 days, but I will still have to do the 90day reporting, is this correct?

My wife's tabien is in Nakhon Pathom, we live in BKK, can you see any issue here?

As it turns out my wife will also be full term with our son over this application period, so I want to avoid dragging her around the town and risk having my son delivered in a traffic jam. You can see I am a little phased, again thanks for all help

Oz

If you live in Bangkok then the new Immigration Office should be the place to go.

Your Wife will have to be there for the actual application.

Why don't you pop along and ask them exactly what they require.

After getting the extension you do not have to leave the country, just report to Immigration every 90 days.

I'm guessing they only call for an interview if they are suspicious of something. Me and my wife have never had to do the interview 2 years in a row. Last year at Suan Plu a certain person said they only interview foreign husbands with "isaan" wives.

Edited by medegen

FWIW: I just declined to accompany two different foreign guys out to Changwattana to apply for their visa based on marriage to a thai national. While I don't really care to do them, I usually will if a person has all their ducks in a row.

Unfortunately in the two cases I mentioned, the foreigners mistakenly thought pictures of the "dog and pony show" a thai traditional wedding entails was all they needed to show they were indeed "married". Neither had bothered to go to the local Amphur in what ever no-name town they lived in to register the marriage. They were adamant that "according to their thai wives and their wives families" (always worthless for anything resembling accurate visa information) they were already "married". Alas; in the eyes of the law, they were/are not. Seeing as they were both reticent to go to the Amphur and register the marriage, (for what ever reason), I declined to go to with them.

I later heard thru the grapevine that one of the guys got quite abusive with the officer when he was denied his visa. (Definitely NOT a good thing to EVER do when dealing with thai bureaucracy of any sort. It is my experience errant behavior is neither quickly forgotten nor forgiven).

The marriage visa is usually a very straight forward process, eeven the interview part; especially if you have all the required documents, are in fact actually married to a thai and aren't trying to fudge anything. It is also true that they can give you the paper to sign stating that they're giving you the visa this year, but you must follow the new rules concerning financial requirements the next time. This seems to be very discretional and I think has a LOT to do with a person's attitude and demeanor with the officer (although as has been pointed out earlier this is quickly coming to a close).

I have also seen them issue a year’s marriage visa right out of the gate; foregoing entirely the 30 days under consideration stamp, but I believe it's totally up to the officer. I've seen it go both ways at Suan Plu (and I would imagine at Changwattana too as they are the same officers).

"Not living where your wife is registered can lead to problems."

That's probably true, but in my personal situation I haven't found it to be a problem.

I recently did my 16th extension, and not once have we been living where my wife was registered. Nothing was ever said about the different addresses.

Knock on wood!

"Not living where your wife is registered can lead to problems."

That's probably true, but in my personal situation I haven't found it to be a problem.

I recently did my 16th extension, and not once have we been living where my wife was registered. Nothing was ever said about the different addresses.

Knock on wood!

Different offices, different requirements.

• 2 weeks later...
Also, I can not download the list of requirements for extension based on marriage from the Thai immigration web site, and would be grateful if someone could post what is needed.

Thanks in advance

400,000 Baht in a Thai bank . It has to be there for a period of 2 months for the first application and probably 3 month thereafter. OR 40,000 Baht monthly income.

If using the bank method you need a letter from the bank showing the balance and an updated bank book showing the same balance.

If using income you need a letter from your Embassy verifying the income if from abroad or tax documentation if from in Thailand.

Marriage Certificate. Maybe a copy of the marriage registration from the registry office.

Wife's ID Card and house registration. Your Passport with relevant pages copied and signed by you.

Photo's of you and your Wife in and around the house. A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photo. 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in 30 days and get the extension.

The list Mario refered to is a bit over the top, but most of those items will be required.

You will also need.

Wedding Cert. Wife's ID Card and House registration. letter from the bank showing the balance and an up to date bank book .Photos of you and your Wife in and around your house. A map to your house. Your Wife will have to be interviewed and sign a statement.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp. Go back in 30 days and get the extension.

BTW You should be OK with a fixed bank account.

I am currently on the 30 day under consideration stamp.

Chang Wattana Imm. seem to be quite specific regarding photos.

6 are required. Both husband and wife should be in all of them.

2. In front of house. [different angles] and showing house No.

3. In house, dining room/living room/kitchen etc.

1. Main bedroom, sitting on bed....[the old standby open wardrobe showing his/her clothes not required.]