Songkran Deathwatch

The_Moog

intresting, do you predict someone to be cut in two and survive or something :o

I figure there'll be at least 1 missing and "presumed" dead, (after all, they are still listing around 50,000 as "missing" over 3 months after the tsunami !

Or one who gets mistakenly listed as dead, but turns out to have been out of the country at the time of his supposed demise ! :D

makes sense....i guess :D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monday 8.00

And Pandit is in the lead so far...but its still early days.....

Songkran holiday death toll reaches 125 

BANGKOK, Apr 11 (TNA) -- Songkran festival highway deaths have passed the one hundred mark nationwide, but fatalities are so far occuring at lower than projected rates according to the Interior Ministry.

The Ministry said the number of road fatalities during the first three days of Thailand's official Songkran holiday totaled 125, lower than the government's anticipated 139 deaths for the same period.

The death toll on the nation's roads in the past three days was 10.07 percent lower than expected, while the number of the injured was down 68.38 percent, accounting for 3,044 injuries considerably lower than last year's figure of 9,628.

The northern province of Chiang Mai and the upper southern province of Prachuap Khiri Khan recorded the highest number of deaths with seven people killed in road accidents.

Of 76 provinces, 25 provinces have reported no road fatalities, according to the ministry's data.

Deputy Interior Ministry Sermsak Pongpanit said motorcycles were involved in most of the accidents -- 86.74 percent.

The failure to wear helmets, drunken driving and speeding were primary risk factors, Minister Sermsak explained, reasons that made an accident lead to a fatality. (TNA)--E004

Songkran officially begins on Wednesday and ends on Friday.

In its road-safety campaign for the festival period, the government aims to minimise road casualties during the “10 dangerous days” between April 8 and 17.

Always lots of accidents on the highway thru Korat /Khon Kaen to Bangkok

Yep, Death Highway - I hate that road...straight as he11 and coming downhill. :o

I heard that the three worst affected roads were the Petchkasem Highway between Petchaburi and Prachuab, the Khorat to Buriram highway and 317 between Sa Kaew and Chanthaburi.

I have driven 317 many times, including during Songkran about 3 years ago. It is indeed a dangerous road even during regular time.

We missed Songkran in Thailand last year, but reports we got from upcountry was the police presence was very large with many, many check points that made the usual town to town "raids" very hard to carry out as in the past. One young man (my wife’s nephew) was quoted as saying it just wasn't much fun anymore if you couldn't get drunk and drive the pickup full of people and water barrels to next town without getting stopped. Might as well stay home.

I really think that the Thai police should be given some credit for trying to make the roads safer, but of course, this is only due to political pressure. It is going to take several years of this kind of effort to change what is a deeply entrenched behavior during Songkran.

My guess is the toll will be higher then acceptable, but will continue the downward trend started last year.

TH

Songkran officially begins on Wednesday and ends on Friday.

In its road-safety campaign for the festival period, the government aims to minimise road casualties during the “10 dangerous days” between April 8 and 17.

The Sweep will run till Sunday 17th - so Jackr, you can change your number if you like.

Always lots of accidents on the highway thru Korat /Khon Kaen to Bangkok on the last weekend to factor in.

Closing date for entries is midnight tuesday. Monday's toll to follow this evening.

Who will be our mighty, mighty 'King of Songkran'?

I'll stick with it even though it'll be towards the magic 1,000.

637..... was it around 600 last year??

To be safe this songran my car will stay in the garage and I'll lock myself in the apartment and sit out on the balcony watching the traffic wizz by...... order in pizza and beer..... and a girl....oh sorry forgot, I am married can't have the girl.

arrr stuff it..... that sounds too boring..... I'll just end up with the rest of you silly buggers in Khaosan Road

How many deaths are there in a normal week?

I read on the British home office web site that 5 people are killed in motor cycle accidents every hour in thailand . That makes 840 a week!! looks a bit over the topto me or are they trying to frighten us to stop us useing motor bikes??

any how my guess is 738

The Deathwatch deadline has elapsed and we have estimates ranging from

345 to 3,500

I haven't seen official figures for tuesday, but have heard its between 170-180 at present.

The senseless slaughter really begins tomorrow, with the centuries old merrie tradition of chucking water over motorbikers.

Good luck to all entrants.

Who will be our KING OF SONGKRAN ?

wednesday deathwatch

Songkran toll: 232 killed, thousands injured in road accidents 

BANGKOK, Apr 13 (TNA) - At least 232 people have been killed and 6,100 injured in road accidents during the first five days of the Songkran holiday, according to official figures released Wednesday.

Deputy Interior Minister Sermsak Pongpanit told a press conference that police reported 1,441 road accidents on Tuesday alone -- in which 62 people died while another 1,805 were injured.

Looking promising for those who have picked 550-700. Start preparing for your Coronation.

...but it only takes a couple of coaches to crash and explode and the others are back in the running.

wednesday deathwatch
Songkran toll: 232 killed, thousands injured in road accidents 

BANGKOK, Apr 13 (TNA) - At least 232 people have been killed and 6,100 injured in road accidents during the first five days of the Songkran holiday, according to official figures released Wednesday.

Deputy Interior Minister Sermsak Pongpanit told a press conference that police reported 1,441 road accidents on Tuesday alone -- in which 62 people died while another 1,805 were injured.

it only takes a couple of coaches to crash and explode and the others are back in the running.

Is this Grim or what? :o

Things were terrible in Khon kaen tonight. I am just back from dinner at a restaurant near the A&E in Khon kaen hospital. It was tragic seeing the ambulances rushing in while others were still pissing it up. I saw one crash which a couple surely died. I saw the remains of other crashes, cars being pulled away by pick-ups, one bike smashed up. What really got to me was seeing pissed guys get in their cars and go home or wherever they were going. What can you do?

It was a nightmare driving home as cars and bikes looked as though they had a death wish.

I have been here for a while and still don't understand the way people just laugh and shrug it off.

I am not going out with my family again this year at night, it is just so risky.

I avoided knocking a woman and her daughter off their motorcycle tonight. I saw the f***ing morons by the side of the road before she did. I slowed down in my truck to her speed and moved over the centre line. She swerved her bike when the water came at her and occupied the space where I was going before I moved. This was on the main bypass road between Chalong and Phuket City.

Chanchao with 550 is Queen of Songkran.

Professor Fart, ThaiPauly, and Neenaram are next, and are all High Priestesses of Songkran.

As it stands at present, with the ten days of Songkran over, Explorer is the Heir Presumptive.

(BM: Killing each other is a year round sport in Pattaya - so we have to crown somebody ! ).

Edited by The_Moog

...and so this sorry competition comes to an end.

With an official 522 toll over the 10 days, the winner, and our King of Songkran for 2005-2006, with a guess of 500 is......

Explorer !

(i think i beter reply something before the thread is closed :D )

Thank you! Thank you all! :D

King of Songkran 2005-2006 - not bad, not bad at all for a start of the Thai New Year :o

Explorer :D