Anyplace To Buy Chinese Black Bean Sauce In Pattaya?

Jingthing

Chinese stir fries with black bean sauce is a real favorite of mine, whether using beef, chicken, squid, oysters, or clams. It is a common dish in Chinese restaurants in the US and I also noticed it is common in Australia. In the US among the Chinese there, clams in black bean sauce is a classic banquet dish. However, it is not common in Chinese restaurants here. I think I ordered it here once and it wasn't the real deal. So, the question is, where can I find the ingredient of Chinese black bean sauce here so I can cook it myself? I have looked in Villa, Carrefour, Foodland, Central, and Friendship, so I am not overly optimistic. Do I have to bring this from the US (how absurd is that)?

post-37101-1258907952_thumb.jpg

post-37101-1258909265_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

I think you may have to take the 'import from US' route..I have had a similar incident whereas I couldn't find specific

japanese & korean condiments here at Tesco, Big C, Villa, etc.

by the way, I found a little stuff at the "EMPORIUM" department - Prom Pong bts station. The Lee Kum Kee brand is

widely known in the US, however, did you check out the 'Chinese character for Black Bean sauce/paste' and explore a different

brand name?

I can understand how frustrating it can be without the taste you enjoy. good luck

Yes I know you can buy dried black beans. Making Chinese black bean sauce from scratch is not on my agenda, but thanks. I will check again at Foodland. The Lee Kum Kee brand originated in China and has branches in many countries. I have bought other Lee Kum Kee sauces in Pattaya (they produce many types), but not the black bean sauce. I think I do recall seeing the black bean sauce at Foodland some years ago (its not my regular store) but looked hard a few days ago and didn't see it.

Edited by Jingthing

Khun Thing,

I could swear that I've seen LKK BBS someplace around here, just can't quite remember exactly where. Maybe Foodmart, Jomtien- I'll check, next time I'm there. Meanwhile, this recipe didn't sound too tough, good luck if you decide to try...

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/seafood/r/clamsblackbean.htm

PS- Still looking for Szechuan peppercorns? Wait 'till Makro opens; they've got 'em!

That recipe requires FERMENTED black beans, a specifically Chinese product, also not easily available here. I haven't tried Foodmart, worth a look.

Fermented black beans are small, black soybeans that have been preserved in salt. Also known as Chinese black beans or salty or salted black beans, they have a very strong, salty flavor and are generally soaked for a half hour or so in fresh water before being added to a dish.

Fermented black beans are not the same thing as black bean sauce, although you can substitute the sauce for the beans in a pinch. The sauce is much more widely available in supermarkets, but you should look in the ethnic foods aisle anyway, and any Asian market will carry them.

Finally, fermented black beans are not to be confused with plain ol' black beans, which are different beans, processed a different way.

http://www.ochef.com/383.htm

Edited by Jingthing

I also wanted some Black Bean Sauce some Months back.. Lee Kum Kee or whatever brand would have been fine.. However I searched high and low at al the usual places, Foodland ( they have LKK but only Oyster sauce and a couple of others) Villa, Friendship and Best ( Best is Chinese Thai owned but still no BBS ) Finally I had a friend bring some up from Singapore...

I was perplexed to say the least.. Especially as Took Lae Dee in Foodland has fish in BBS on their menu... Guess it would be available in China town in BKK or maybe in one of the small shops in Naklua ( lots of Chinese Thais there ) As you say BBS is very popular in Hong Kong (Cantonese) style Chinese restos around the World.. Dunno why it isn't common here... After all Plum sauce, Oyster and barbeque sauces are all available ready made and even mixes to make Char Siu and Siu Arp ( red pork and roast duck) are available..

TIT ! yet again :)

I love the black goooey stuff, too. And, I had it for the first time in about 6 years when I ordered Raat Na Pla (wide rice noodles in gravy with fish) at Black Canyon Restaurant here in Isaan. If your Thai is good enough you might try the same, and then ask the cook where he/she gets it. Then tell me.

Foodland has fermented black beans as I said before. As for being difficult to cook with, you might be surprised how easy it is. Cooking with the pre-made sauce is not much of a time saver in my experience. You just mash 'em up and toss 'em in, basically, and add sauces depending on the recipe. Sometimes you soak them first.

I believe they are called dao see in Chinese, the same in Thai. I just asked some Thai people here at work, and they said it's a very common ingredient available at markets.

Jing

I don't know when you last checked but in the last 2 months Friendship has started stocking a whole new range of both Indian and Chinese sauces, cant confirm that they have your black bean but they do now stock quite a few.

Foodland has fermented black beans as I said before. As for being difficult to cook with, you might be surprised how easy it is. Cooking with the pre-made sauce is not much of a time saver in my experience. You just mash 'em up and toss 'em in, basically, and add sauces depending on the recipe. Sometimes you soak them first.

I believe they are called dao see in Chinese, the same in Thai. I just asked some Thai people here at work, and they said it's a very common ingredient available at markets.

Oh, thanks. I misunderstood you before. I thought you meant just regular dried black beans in a bag. I can certainly work with the real fermented black beans. In some ways, that is even better. I will check it out again.

Edited by Jingthing

Jing

I don't know when you last checked but in the last 2 months Friendship has started stocking a whole new range of both Indian and Chinese sauces, cant confirm that they have your black bean but they do now stock quite a few.

I am pretty sure Friendship doesn't carry this. I buy sauces there frequently, never saw it.

• 2 weeks later...
Aha. I wouldn't have even thought to look anywhere but the BOTTLED spices area. I bought a bottle of the beans at Foodland and now trying to figure out a way to make black bean sauce noodles with it.

Yaowarat (Chinatown Market).........lots of good black bean sauces/beans........also the real sherry (special flavor used for Chinese food).

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I will share my "recipe" for a kind of Chinese/SE Asian black bean sauce noodles. I prefer to cook noodle dishes rather than rice, don't ask me why. My first attempt was a little off, but I know what I did wrong. It needed thicker rice noodles and needed to be cooked on a higher heat (didn't feel like smoking up the place). Also next time I would add even more black beans and black bean sauce. This is the kind of recipe you can alter to your taste and ingredients.

On hand, the bottled fermented black beans from Foodland and the foiled prepared black bean sauce from Friendship. I used both because I really like black beans so I added some of the actual beans to make it richer.

Heat a generous portion of cooking oil in a wok or saute pan.

Cook

sliced ginger (required)

sliced onion

sliced green or red bell pepper

sliced green beans (optional)

sliced shitake mushrooms (optional)

chopped Thai red chilies

Cook through, don't burn.

Add some black beans to taste. Add some of the foiled sauce to taste. Incorporate with oil and vegetables.

Add sliced Thai grilled chicken (already cooked).

Add rice noodles. These noodles cooked separately very quickly, then run cold water over them in the strainer to remove starch.

Add the noodles.

Add bean sprouts (optional).

Cook and merge all the ingredients. Higher heat recommended here.

I didn't use chopped scallions but that would have helped as well.

If you have raw meat you can saute that first in oil, then remove and do the rest, adding the meat later.

This would even be better with real Chinese fun noodles (usually done with beef).

I will refine this idea and see if I can do it better next time.

Edited by Jingthing

• 1 year later...

Update on the black bean sauce sourcing.

Yes, I have found the Lee Kum Kee black bean sauce in Pattaya.

The trouble is I really don't like how it tastes!

So I have been using the harder work method of smashing my own garlic and black beans which does make a pleasant sauce.

However, recently back in the US I bought a bottle of KIKKOMAN black bean and garlic sauce and brought in back here. Tried cooking with it and found the taste excellent, though I do miss the chunks of black beans in the homemade version. Then I looked at the bottle, and it says RESTAURANT SERIES which I guess means its good enough for a restaurant, and by the taste, it actually is. But now only one bottle, wish I had brought more as I doubt you can get it in Thailand.

Just a heads up if you are in a country where you can buy this sauce, to try it or fly it in if you like black bean sauce.

• 3 weeks later...

Heat a generous portion of cooking oil in a wok or saute pan.

Cook

sliced ginger (required)

sliced onion

sliced green or red bell pepper

sliced green beans (optional)

sliced shitake mushrooms (optional)

chopped Thai red chilies

Cook through, don't burn.

Add some black beans to taste. Add some of the foiled sauce to taste. Incorporate with oil and vegetables.

Add sliced Thai grilled chicken (already cooked).

Add rice noodles. These noodles cooked separately very quickly, then run cold water over them in the strainer to remove starch.

Add the noodles.

This would even be better with real Chinese fun noodles (usually done with beef).

I would not rinse the noodles...takes away some of the taste and prevents the sauce from adhering to the noodles. Agree that beef chow-fun is great...Nam Sing next to Royal Garden does a very nice version :)

I have tried it without the rinse (basically forgetting to do it) and have found the result too starchy tasting. So will stick to my method, and have had no trouble coating the noodles really. Maybe because I don't thoroughly rinse them, basically a superficial rinse.

I have tried it without the rinse (basically forgetting to do it) and have found the result too starchy tasting. So will stick to my method, and have had no trouble coating the noodles really. Maybe because I don't thoroughly rinse them, basically a superficial rinse.

Hallo,

I've a freind who will come to Pattaya with her husband next week or so for technical support in compnay. If you like, I can tell her to bring one bottle to here.

You may write an email to me, attach the photo and detail info. There are too many posts here, I feel a bit headache to read fthem all rom the beginning!!!

PS: I am a Chinese from Suzhou .

Cheers

SS