Proof Of Income Letter

If I go part money in bank, part income (which is pension) do you need the proof of income letter issued each year to extend retirement? This would mean a trip to the UK embassy in Bangkok from Isaan. I would have thought the first letter would suffice. Clarification appreciated. Thanks.

The USA Proof of Income Letter is embossed with the Seal of the Embassy so there really is no such thing as a copy for the following year... I do not know the particulars of the UK Letter...

But if similar to USA, that would mean that yes indeed you would have to take 1 or 2 days away from your high-power existence in the Thai wife's Isaan village for the privilege of spending the remaining 364 days or so per year in the Kingdom -- an effort considering the privilege and benefits afforded I daresay that your fellow countrymen back in UK would not consider extreme...

It is required each and every year. Some offices will accept copy to keep in file and let you use original more than once. But most seem to want a new letter every year. You need to ask the office you use. Let us know what they say.

It is required each and every year. Some offices will accept copy to keep in file and let you use original more than once. But most seem to want a new letter every year. You need to ask the office you use. Let us know what they say.
Will do. Thanks.

Presenting a copy or relying a a previous year's filing no matter what they say (especially if one is going the combination route) just gives them one more excuse or cumulative reason to deny you your extension. Why go looking for trouble? -- it will find you easy enough.

Presenting a copy or relying a a previous year's filing no matter what they say (especially if one is going the combination route) just gives them one more excuse or cumulative reason to deny you your extension. Why go looking for trouble? -- it will find you easy enough.
Hmm! Food for thought. Thanks.

Only this year I not only needed a proof of income letter but also a new UK Passport as I had to renew my yearly retirement visa and my old passport only had 6 months left.

I too live in Isaan but instead of traveling to Bangkok to organize the proof of income and new passport I did it all by post....the UK Embassy were brilliant with the service they provided and I had no problems.

No need to travel to the Embassy at all.

Letters can be done by post, usually by return post, as long as you provide proof of income as specified on the British Embassy web site.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...ls/living-in-th

All is explained clearly.

I use this service each year. Yes, it will cost you, but a lot less hassle than the journey, I think?

No need to travel to the Embassy at all.

Letters can be done by post, usually by return post, as long as you provide proof of income as specified on the British Embassy web site.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...ls/living-in-th

All is explained clearly.

I use this service each year. Yes, it will cost you, but a lot less hassle than the journey, I think?

Thanks. I was confusing the need to visit the embassy with other documents. Ta very much for the reminder.

Only this year I not only needed a proof of income letter but also a new UK Passport as I had to renew my yearly retirement visa and my old passport only had 6 months left.

I too live in Isaan but instead of traveling to Bangkok to organize the proof of income and new passport I did it all by post....the UK Embassy were brilliant with the service they provided and I had no problems.

You're right. I was confusing the trip for other documents. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Tried Dah Farang's link but got an error code. Tried UK Embassy's New List of Service Fees but was unable to identify which is the correct fee for a Proof of Income document.

Could someone who has recently paid it please advise which of the fees listed is the correct one.

Asking here as last time I phoned UK Embassy I got a bugger-around automated phone system doubtless 'to improve the service to our callers'. Wasn't so long ago when you got a quick response from a helpful [real] person. I am emailing them [will publish result on ThaiVisa] but expect to get a much quicker response here.

Am trying to assess relative merits of the Non-Imm 'O', 'OA' visa or the visa extension. Obviously for the new visas you have to want to visit the Septic Isle for other reasons which factor out the travel costs. There is the cost and there is also the blood pressure issue involved in contact with Thai Immigration; I'd like to spare them the stress.

I did ask in Sakon Nakhon 1 month ago. ( I did show a letter from 2008. )

The nice women there told me, that they/she will accept older letters, if you can proof with the bankstatement, that the requiered money came to the bank in the last year.

Edited by Somrak

Tried Dah Farang's link but got an error code. Tried UK Embassy's New List of Service Fees but was unable to identify which is the correct fee for a Proof of Income document.

Webpage information below which contains details of fees for income letter:

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...ng-in-thailand/

Thank you. I zigged with a click when I should have zagged with a page-down. Bt2,088.

Edited by euca

Said, above, I would report on my attempt to get info from UK Embassy by email. Impressed by speed of response, two working days, and that they answered all three of the queries I asked. [Try the second of those with a UK bank].

Edited by euca

• 3 weeks later...

I've never been allowed to use an old letter. Six retirement extensions and six new letters from the US Embassy. One Thai Immigration officer joked with me "Money you government.." :)

Looking at that UK website, it would seem rather easy to provide them with UK accounts which showed any amount you wanted, much along the USA thing. They could never prove anything. I don't mean lying, but you could move money around to show say Bt100,000 or more a month couldn't you ?

Showing a bank statement alone is not sufficient proof for UK embassy to issue an income letter. They will also want to see other evidence such as payslips and employment contract if working, pension company letter, investment details etc. Accept that the scan of 'proof items' by the embassy is only cursory, but is also a criminal offense to obtain by deception.

"But if similar to USA, that would mean that yes indeed you would have to take 1 or 2 days away from..."

You don't have to travel to the US Embassy to get a letter.

ACS (American Citizen Services) does an Outreach Program that brings them to Isaan about twice a year. Once to KKC and once to Udon. Letters can be obtained at that time.

For those wanting to travel, but not to Bangkok, you could plan a trip to Chiang Mai and get a letter from the US Consulate.

KK im recently told me they want a new letter each year.

The annoying thing is that it costs more to get a letter from the UK Embassy than it does to get an extension of permission to remain in Thailand.

All you do is to show them proof of your pension or other income and they fill in the template, money for old rope.