Warts(?) On A Dog's Ear

My dog (a German Shepherd X, mostly X) has just developed three or four little black bumps just outside the lobe of the ear (inside the ear but outside the lobe). They seem to be causing a lot of irritation. I don't know whether they are warts or perhaps subcutaneous parasites. Does anyone know what these are, and how to deal with them? I've never seen anything like this in 40 years of keeping dogs.

That was actually my first thought as well, also because it seems to give a lot of irritation.

Hard to say something abut it, also because the OP doesn't give pictures of these black bumps.

Maybe better a quick trip to the nearby vet.

That was actually my first thought as well, also because it seems to give a lot of irritation.

Hard to say something abut it, also because the OP doesn't give pictures of these black bumps.

Maybe better a quick trip to the nearby vet.

Thanks, both of you.

Yes, my first thought was ticks, too. They're not dog ticks, of which I have only too much experience; nor are they growing in size. Just three hard black spots under the skin (I checked them again after reading your post). I googled it, and got my own post thrown back at me! The irritation has stopped; I think it was due to ear mites, as I'd been a bit remiss about cleaning the ears. I've now done so, and the dog seems perfectly happy.

A quick trip to the vet is easier said than done; I live way out in the wilds of Buriram... very different from when I lived in Chiangmai, when my dogs had to walk to the vet! I think for the meantime, I shall just keep a close watch on developments (the dog is with me most of every day, anyway)... and find a way to get him to the vet if there's any sign of deterioration. (Sorry I can't provide a picture)

Warts on a dog can be very bad and contagious,even to its owner, our dog was abandoned as a pup, his warts took 12 months of treatment and injections with a serum made from his warts, first picture shows how he was, second picture how he is now.

Hey Sometime... You're one goode guy for taking the time and expense to cure this dog, and an abandoned pet at that.. The world needs more like you.

I adopted a cat, China girl, from a temple. A sweetheart who lived with us for 3 years before getting a cancerous growth in one nostril. Months of treatment did not stop the growth; she could not run and had to breathe through her mouth. Pregnant, I was one day late in setting up a birthing box for her in the house. In the meantime she went outside somewhere to have her litter; never to return - Valentine's Day 2007.

You succeeeded...Congrats! :)

Edited by jingjoke

Thanks for the horrible picture, Sometime! And you did a great job caring for your dog; I'm sure it is repaying you for it. I have seen infections like that when I was associated with the RSPCA in Hong Kong... and luckily what my dog has is nothing like that. I will post here when and if I eventually find out what he has.

• 1 month later...

The "warts" (small black bumps!) have virtually disappeared now, without requiring treatment. I showed them to our 'pig doctor', the nearest thing to a vet for 20 kms, and he said he thought they were caused by a poisonous plant or insect touching the dog's ear when it was eating grass (the way dogs do). Thanks (and Happy New Year!) to everyone who made suggestions.