Moving On From Thailand.

howmuch

I thought Thailand was a unique place when I first got here and that was why I liked it. Now I realize I just like sleazy tropical ports with no taxes and small governments. That opens up a lot of options, spin the globe and keep your finger pointed a little above or below the equator.

In all seriousness OP, I think in Asia, Taiwan is very much like Thailand, they have exceptionally (naive) beautiful women and a tropical climate. I would think Taiwan could be a good step up with a little more order and civilization.

If you crave an even more libertarian society then the Philipines is a great choice. I love travelling to the Philipines, it's one of the most beautiful countries I have been to, beaches, diving, English speaking people.

Now, outside Asia, I have my eyes firmly set at Colombia, because most people will be too scared to go there, which means there may be a new 'paradise lost' hidden somewhere. I met a dude on an around the world travel in an early morning dinge here in Bangkok and he had lived there for 6 months and said it was great and not dangerous at all. He did manage to ditch his wife somewhere along the way. Didn't pursue that story. And with Colombia you also have the great local produce if that's your thing.

In all seriousness OP, I think in Asia, Taiwan is very much like Thailand, they have exceptionally (naive) beautiful women and a tropical climate. I would think Taiwan could be a good step up with a little more order and civilization.

If you crave an even more libertarian society then the Philipines is a great choice. I love travelling to the Philipines, it's one of the most beautiful countries I have been to, beaches, diving, English speaking people.

The Phillipines is probably the better alternative for most farang who are jaded with Thailand. The flips can speak english, are pretty colonial in mentality, and are willing to accommodate a lot more foreigners.

Taiwan has absolutely nothing in common with Thailand culturally. The general personality of the Taiwanese population is also much more career orientated and less social because it's heavily ethnic Chinese. The relative cost of living is also that of a developed nation because it is one so that prices out the cheap charlies. I suppose someone could go there and teach english or something but I imagine that "industry" is cornered by all the other western desperadoes there.

Nobody says Malaysia, Indonesia, Laos or China?

I don't know, but aren't parts of these countries pretty cheap & chill like Thailand, with beautiful girls to boot?

What about Yunnan or Hainan in China? What parts of the other countries might be good? How do they compare to Thailand?

While we love it here, we're seriously considering Montevideo, Uruguay when we move in 9 months.

I went there once a few years back, I was only there for a couple of nights but it seemed a bit boring to me. Very boring in fact. Cheap though !

It's curious to me that all the posters here are throwing out different countries to consider... But almost no one above ever mentions what the prospects/requirements are for a farang to settle more or less permanently in that country... That leaves a pretty gaping hole in the discussion, wouldn't you say???

And, on the subject of Taiwan and women there, my ex wife and in-laws are Taiwan/Chinese. I can assure you, the general women there are hardly "naive" as one poster put it above. They are, I would say, more focused on making money and having success in legitimate business or careers. Nor is Taiwan particularly cheap for living expenses, particularly in the cities. And, since I've never considered living there, to answer my own point, I have no idea about their visa set-up for prospective long-term stayers.

It's curious to me that all the posters here are throwing out different countries to consider... But almost no one above ever mentions what the prospects/requirements are for a farang to settle more or less permanently in that country... That leaves a pretty gaping hole in the discussion, wouldn't you say???

If (as I assume) the OP hails from the UK, then within the EU is obviously hassle free visa-wise. However, not cheap like LoS, and not warm all year.