Tequila Reef ~ Does It Always Suck ?

JimmyTheMook

Now that you've learned your lesson, make a note to have your Thanksgiving meal next year at 'Richman Poorman' (Soi 9, Jomtien Beach). I went today, and it was wonderful! Great soup and salad bar, including deviled eggs, large boiled shrimp, selection of breads, etc. Perfectly cooked "Butterball" turkey, tasty stuffing, served with mashed potatoes, brocolli, carrots, and peas. Followed by a piece of pumpkin pie. Delicious!

In fact, I'd suggest that you try eating there soon, if you're a fan of American style food, including great New York pizza! I make the 10 km drive from my house twice a week, just to enjoy a taste of home.

Yes it is not good anymore. I think I read somewhere in here that the US owner has left/sold and is now Thai operated, but are not 100% sure.

I never go there again unless I hear positive "reports" about the food.

The US owner still has the Pattaya place, but has now opened a Tequila Reef restaurant in Angeles City and spends most his time there . I have eaten there and the food is is great. They also have a room upstairs with live music, starring the guy who was at Blueberry Hill

With regard to the Pattaya branch(which is now Thai run.): I ate there a few days ago and was VERY pleased with the food. I ordered the FULL rack of ribs, and could not finish it. Other places give you a few ribs, so I thought they would be the same, but there were about 6 ribs for the half rack, with another huge one underneath. I chose French Fries and Coleslaw as the veggies. They were both good.

The ONLY thing I did not like was the the HIDDEN CHARGE BILL.

The full rack of ribs was 415 Baht on the menu, but when you get the bill it is 445 Baht. The extra charge was VAT. OK, had they said 445 Baht, I would still have eaten there, but why this Bullsh*t? Everybody else, except for 4* hotels, the menu shows WHAT YOU PAY! This is a restaurant in Soi 8 bar area, not in an annex of the Royal Cliff.

Back in the UK, this practice was outlawed many years ago. I wonder if it is allowed in the US any more?. The tip was up to me, and I left a good tip as service was good.

As for the food, I will be returning soon, but not believe the menu prices..

The quality of food at the Reef has been steadily declining over the past five years. Ribs are the best buy now along with the Margaritas. If you want Mexican food, there have been some forum members who have suggested places in the city. The owner of the Reef has another new place in Angeles in the Philippines and the story is he goes there only for his restaurant. His restaurant is off Fields Avenue which is the main bar area in Angeles or at least it was.

Edited by puyaidon

You probably shouldn't judge it on the buffet alone, which it seems they totally stuffed up. It's OK, but if you're looking for 'authentic' Texmex you'll probably be disappointed. I like the skirt steak there, my wife likes the fish taco's, we both like the margherita. The Fajita's are passable.

Edited by sabang

I dined there 5 years ago, after it first opened. While the portions were quite large, the Mexican foods was tasteless and expensive.

I only went there after I heard many peoples statements about the Authentic Mexican food served there, I could not eat it and left after sampling the meal, left all of it on the plate, What a great waste of money.

Refried beans are my favorite with flour tortillas, both were not cooked to the taste or even remotely resembled refried beans of my native Mexico.

When one leaves his favorite food almost untouched, It says there is a great difference in the dining preferences of what the Mexican vs non-Mexican consider quality food!

Cheers:

Yes it is not good anymore. I think I read somewhere in here that the US owner has left/sold and is now Thai operated, but are not 100% sure.

I never go there again unless I hear positive "reports" about the food.

The US owner still has the Pattaya place, but has now opened a Tequila Reef restaurant in Angeles City and spends most his time there . I have eaten there and the food is is great. They also have a room upstairs with live music, starring the guy who was at Blueberry Hill

With regard to the Pattaya branch(which is now Thai run.): I ate there a few days ago and was VERY pleased with the food. I ordered the FULL rack of ribs, and could not finish it. Other places give you a few ribs, so I thought they would be the same, but there were about 6 ribs for the half rack, with another huge one underneath. I chose French Fries and Coleslaw as the veggies. They were both good.

The full rack of ribs was 415 Baht on the menu, but when you get the bill it is 445 Baht. The extra charge was VAT. OK, had they said 445 Baht, I would still have eaten there, but why this Bullsh*t? Everybody else, except for 4* hotels, the menu shows WHAT YOU PAY! This is a restaurant in Soi 8 bar area, not in an annex of the Royal Cliff.

Back in the UK, this practice was outlawed many years ago. I wonder if it is allowed in the US any more?. The tip was up to me, and I left a good tip as service was good.

As for the food, I will be returning soon, but not believe the menu prices..

Stating that you could not finish a rack of ribs would not normally be considered favorable. If it is good, a small child could finish a rack of ribs.

I dined there 5 years ago, after it first opened. While the portions were quite large, the Mexican foods was tasteless and expensive.

I only went there after I heard many peoples statements about the Authentic Mexican food served there, I could not eat it and left after sampling the meal, left all of it on the plate, What a great waste of money.

Refried beans are my favorite with flour tortillas, both were not cooked to the taste or even remotely resembled refried beans of my native Mexico.

When one leaves his favorite food almost untouched, It says there is a great difference in the dining preferences of what the Mexican vs non-Mexican consider quality food!

Cheers:

I agree with your description of the so-called Mexican food at TR. I am not Mexican. I would say the vast majority of the people in town who love Mexican food are also not Mexican and agree with you about TR. Just saying, you don't have to be Mexican to know really bad fake Mexican food when they taste it. Buenos Suertes.

BTW: American BBQ Ribs don't count. They might be good. They aren't a typical food at a Mexican restaurant in Mexico or the US.

Edited by Jingthing

Now that you've learned your lesson, make a note to have your Thanksgiving meal next year at 'Richman Poorman' (Soi 9, Jomtien Beach). I went today, and it was wonderful! Great soup and salad bar, including deviled eggs, large boiled shrimp, selection of breads, etc. Perfectly cooked "Butterball" turkey, tasty stuffing, served with mashed potatoes, brocolli, carrots, and peas. Followed by a piece of pumpkin pie. Delicious!

In fact, I'd suggest that you try eating there soon, if you're a fan of American style food, including great New York pizza! I make the 10 km drive from my house twice a week, just to enjoy a taste of home.

You must know the owner or have no tastebuds,Tequila reef is horrible but its allot better then richmanpoorman which says it all really dont it.

Back in the UK, this practice was outlawed many years ago. I wonder if it is allowed in the US any more?.

In the US, only gasoline (petrol) is priced with tax included, ie. $2.54/gallon is what you pay. Pretty much everywhere else, prices quoted are less tax and it's not and never has been illegal to do this. They even have bizarre marketing prices for certain products just to get the customer hooked such as, "Bose speakers $199.99 each" with the small print stating "must be bought as a pair". Annoying yes, deceptive? Only to those who ignore the small print.

In this case, maybe the original American owners started this US style menu pricing and the new owners carried on with it?

Edited by NanLaew

You must know the owner or have no tastebuds,Tequila reef is horrible but its allot better then richmanpoorman which says it all really dont it.

I am not a huge fan of RMPM but I have had some pretty OK food there. I never tried the Mexican food at RMPM and I wouldn't expect it to be good. TR Mexican food rates among the very worst so called Mexican food I have ever tasted.

Edited by Jingthing

I am not a huge fan of RMPM but I have had some pretty OK food there. I never tried the Mexican food at RMPM and I wouldn't expect it to be good. TR Mexican food rates among the very worst so called Mexican food I have ever tasted.

Been there on and off over the last five years. I give it a fair rating. had the buffet a few times. Fair. Lek Hotel is better for Christmas for sure as Lek uses real turkeys, sitting there with bones and a real carcas. No turkey loaf.

I still like tequila reef for the 1/2 chicken 1/2 rib combo. Salsa is sometimes even fresh. Hate the bar tap coke. Just horrible syrup/water mx. Bring a can or have a beer.

I am in California now so I get some pretty decent Mexican food. For being half way around the world, Tequila Reff place is not too bad.

I have never been to a Mexican restaurant in Mexico or the US that offers a 1/2 Chicken 1/2 rib combo plate or even ribs. That is pure Americana. Of course there are Mexican chicken places, those can be great.

So I find it funny to hear these praises of TR of their Mexican food and then specifically mention their non-Mexican food!

Edited by Jingthing

Have had some not bad food there but no great stuff. The worst experience I had in TR was ordering a nacho starter dish. Instead of

the bed of beans covered with chips and cheese and a topping of hot beef chili with sour cream and guacamole, I was given nacho chips

and cheese. I asked were the rest of my ingredients were and got the time honoured reply of no hab. How anyone could serve a dish

with four parts of six missing and think they would get away with it is beyond me. I drank my overpriced lukewarm beer and decided never

to visit there on a lunchtime again.

If you want the worst Mexican food in the world get down to Banana Taco on Phuket. Just up from Bangla road in Patpong this place was voted worst mexican food ever

by the four of us that ate there in october. I'd rather eat dog food staight from the tin than eat there again.

Edited by andiwilson

You're correct about the Mexican food at RMPM, Jingthing. It's not very good; and not one of the items I order. The turkeys on Thanksgiving were very real "Butterball" turkeys. Excellent.

As for what I like there on ordinary days, here's a partial list of favorites: The omelets or eggs benedict are good for breakfast. Lunch - Rueben sandwich; chicken parmigiana with pasta; all of the pasta dishes; the "New York style" pizzas; sausage and peppers on French bread; meatball parmigiana sandwich; "full size" ham and cheese sandwich; pastrami sandwich; and Philly steak sandwich. It's the kind of food served in "local" restaurants in the northeast - New York, where the owner is from; Boston, my home town; Philadelphia, etc.. Good old "hungry man" stuff that may bring a sneer to the face of "gourmets" - well, excuuuuuse me! - but satisfies both the taste buds (which I do have) and the hunger of people from middle class America, especially those from the northeast area I noted.

By the way, I do now know and like the owner, Eddie. I had never met him when I "discovered" RMPM a few months ago. But he's "my kind of people" - simple, honest, hard-working, and a great host. The combination of the east coast American food, and the company of Eddie and the largely American and Canadian clientele make it worth the 10 kilometer drive for me a couple of times a week.

Not bad and better than most mexican in Patters. Mind you Margarita(s) are really good. I normally just have margs and an appetizer. :)

I agree TR has good margies ... but that's not food, that's drink. No wonder, you would have to be drunk to think their food is good.

Patsfangr, thanks for that summary of what you like at RMPM. I agree it is a worthy place. I don't think much of their pizza though, the crust reminds me of Bisquick.

Edited by Jingthing

Not bad and better than most mexican in Patters. Mind you Margarita(s) are really good. I normally just have margs and an appetizer. :)

I agree TR has good margies ... but that's not food, that's drink. No wonder, you would have to be drunk to think their food is good.

Patsfangr, thanks for that summary of what you like at RMPM. I agree it is a worthy place. I don't think much of their pizza though, the crust reminds me of Bisquick.

been a few times food sub standard ribs were cat sized best ribs so far great american rib company you get a full rack starters everything decent sized portions T.R is all hype and just has the location so people dont have to move from soi 7/8 to get some food partly resembling a meal???

Have had some not bad food there but no great stuff. The worst experience I had in TR was ordering a nacho starter dish. Instead of

the bed of beans covered with chips and cheese and a topping of hot beef chili with sour cream and guacamole, I was given nacho chips

and cheese. I asked were the rest of my ingredients were and got the time honoured reply of no hab. How anyone could serve a dish

with four parts of six missing and think they would get away with it is beyond me. I drank my overpriced lukewarm beer and decided never

to visit there on a lunchtime again.

If you want the worst Mexican food in the world get down to Banana Taco on Phuket. Just up from Bangla road in Patpong this place was voted worst mexican food ever

by the four of us that ate there in october. I'd rather eat dog food staight from the tin than eat there again.

Dog food out of a can :D:) That is BAD. I think I will avoid eating at Banana Taco.

I have not eaten at TReef for at least four years.......back in the "old days" it did make a decent pork burrito and pretty good pork fajitas......other than that, it was awful even back then.

One thing that I think is important at any Mexican restaurant is the hot sauce/salsa. The hot sauce/salsa at TReef was next to horrible and no doubt still it.

I understand that the former owner is opening or has opened a new Mexican place in Bangkok........hopefully he will not bring his old recipe book with him.

Having said that, I wish him luck. I just wish one person would open a decent Tex-Mex place.