Honda Pcx

alexth

Did just buy the White Honda PCX for 70k . . , will take here to Koh Chang next weekend end will give a review later . . . . . did just order a 280mm discbrake ., and soon the 10k Brembo 4pot from Italy ., then brakeing will not be an issue . ,

280mm disc, huge improvement

4 pot Brembo, wont notice much difference, since the stock Nissin is a 3 pot, with one of them operatd by combibrake

braking is still a major issue due to the tyres

pls explain how a bigger disc improves the brakeing ? . . . , the disc gets cooler when bigger and add more grip right ?

Better still please explain why the brakes on the PCX are a 'major issue',..................they are not !

I've ridden the PCX over more than 5,000km in most conditions and at all speeds the bike is capable of (i.e.100+kph) and not once have the brakes proved to be an issue. Of course the brakes on your 650 Ninja are twice as good, they bloody well ought to be it's a sports bike capable of c.200kph that's hardly a fair comparison. The brakes on my Fireblade were much better too !!

The brakes on the PCX are perfectly adequate, good even, for the bike that it is and certainly no worse than comparable bikes when ridden sensibly.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did just buy the White Honda PCX for 70k . . , will take here to Koh Chang next weekend end will give a review later . . . . . did just order a 280mm discbrake ., and soon the 10k Brembo 4pot from Italy ., then brakeing will not be an issue . ,

4 pot Brembo, wont notice much difference, since the stock Nissin is a 3 pot, with one of them operatd by combibrake

Hi Kata,

under what conditions could you find problems with the brakes or the tires? Ice and snow... laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

In my eyes, the good brakes are one more argument for the PCX thumbsup.gif

pls explain how a bigger disc improves the brakeing ? . . . , the disc gets cooler when bigger and add more grip right ?

Better still please explain why the brakes on the PCX are a 'major issue',..................they are not !

I've ridden the PCX over more than 5,000km in most conditions and at all speeds the bike is capable of (i.e.100+kph) and not once have the brakes proved to be an issue. Of course the brakes on your 650 Ninja are twice as good, they bloody well ought to be it's a sports bike capable of c.200kph that's hardly a fair comparison. The brakes on my Fireblade were much better too !!

The brakes on the PCX are perfectly adequate, good even, for the bike that it is and certainly no worse than comparable bikes when ridden sensibly.

sorry, brakes on PCX is not "a major issue" at 80 kmh. at 100 kmh I consider them insufficient.

0- 100kmh you can brake on 60 meters with PCX

a dtracker is approx same weight, and manages 0-100kmh in 42 meters

yepp, 18 meters, thats 3-4 cars, or 50? kids

my comment on brakes was on those wanting more power/higher speed on PCX. brakes arent up to it

just like Ninja650R brakes arent up to 280kmh, or dtracker 200kmh

Like I said the brakes are good if driven sensibly, you shouldn't be driving 100kph if there are 50 kids you could potentially hit.

Like I said the brakes are good if driven sensibly, you shouldn't be driving 100kph if there are 50 kids you could potentially hit.

Point taken :)

Hi Kata,

under what conditions could you find problems with the brakes or the tires? Ice and snow... laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Guys are tuning these up and getting 120 plus out of them.. Brakes probably ok for 80.. Dunno about 120.

Hi Kata,

Guys are tuning these up and getting 120 plus out of them.. Brakes probably ok for 80.. Dunno about 120.

It depends on how responsible the driver uses any speed (not just top speed).

The PCX handling under braking appears more stable than in the other lady bikes,

this is a safety plus for all speeds.

Edited by albhol

agree, on any highway, passing a schoolbus or a school, PCX riders MUST reduce speed to 50 kmh. :rolleyes:

sensible riding

Real 120 or 120 on the speedo? I've seen a video of 122 indicated. There is talk of 120 on PCX Club forum but a few forum members think that is metaphorically "downhill with the wind behind the rider"

I have also seen the post where the guy has the different final drive ratio which he claims is good for 120+ but admits the acceleration suffers.

I admit I don't have one so cannot verify how all these speeds are measured. I have only seen 107 kph on a dyno graph.

Real 120 or 120 on the speedo? I've seen a video of 122 indicated. There is talk of 120 on PCX Club forum but a few forum members think that is metaphorically "downhill with the wind behind the rider"

I have also seen the post where the guy has the different final drive ratio which he claims is good for 120+ but admits the acceleration suffers.

I admit I don't have one so cannot verify how all these speeds are measured. I have only seen 107 kph on a dyno graph.

But if a bike does 107km/h on a Dyna......that IRL with wind force and things it dont make same speed . . ,

Just the 'aling' vids on youtube.. 122 or 124 on speedo.

Not really looked into it tho.

But if a bike does 107km/h on a Dyna......that IRL with wind force and things it dont make same speed . . ,

I misquoted my friend who's currently renting a PCX and is planning to buy one as soon as his pal gets here from Norway and takes his rental off his hands. Per claims 105 kph. (not the 108 I think I mentioned earlier) He says it accelerates well to this point and that it has no problems getting up big hills two up. He says it's better on the hills than the Nouvos he's rented before trying out the PCX. even the 135 Elegance. This is going all the way from Pattaya to Rayong which is a longer distance than most people typically care to do on their small motorbikes. I've also been checking all over the web for reviews of the PCX and there seems to be a consensus that the PCX tops out at about 60 miles an hour. Per mentioned there is definitely a rev limiter or other mechanical device that cuts in abruptly to limit its top speed to 105 kph indicated.

I've also been reading up on the Honda 150 sh i that I first saw in Vietnam and that's now selling in the American market. From what I've read the PCX is being marketed for a global market and that the reason the 150 SH i has been sent to the U.S. is 150 c.c. bikes are legal on most American express highways whereas 125 c.c. bikes are not. Also.....the 150 Honda SH i is limited in speed to 65 miles an hour. If I recall it gets to 100 kph in about 15 to 16 seconds which means it's hitting 60 a bit sooner. THis is pretty quick for a 150 scooter and would seem to indicate that both the 125 c.c. PCXi and the 150 SHi accelerate quickly only to hit a Honda mandated brick wall that comes on abruptly.

Edited by jackcorbett

I misquoted my friend who's currently renting a PCX and is planning to buy one as soon as his pal gets here from Norway and takes his rental off his hands. Per claims 105 kph. (not the 108 I think I mentioned earlier) He says it accelerates well to this point and that it has no problems getting up big hills two up. He says it's better on the hills than the Nouvos he's rented before trying out the PCX. even the 135 Elegance. This is going all the way from Pattaya to Rayong which is a longer distance than most people typically care to do on their small motorbikes. I've also been checking all over the web for reviews of the PCX and there seems to be a consensus that the PCX tops out at about 60 miles an hour. Per mentioned there is definitely a rev limiter or other mechanical device that cuts in abruptly to limit its top speed to 105 kph indicated.

I've also been reading up on the Honda 150 sh i that I first saw in Vietnam and that's now selling in the American market. From what I've read the PCX is being marketed for a global market and that the reason the 150 SH i has been sent to the U.S. is 150 c.c. bikes are legal on most American express highways whereas 125 c.c. bikes are not. Also.....the 150 Honda SH i is limited in speed to 65 miles an hour. If I recall it gets to 100 kph in about 15 to 16 seconds which means it's hitting 60 a bit sooner. THis is pretty quick for a 150 scooter and would seem to indicate that both the 125 c.c. PCXi and the 150 SHi accelerate quickly only to hit a Honda mandated brick wall that comes on abruptly.

well 60mph is 96 kmh, so you v got to make up your mind on what speed the limiter kicks in:)

side by side with same heavy load, Elegance 135 and Suzuki Skydrive/Hayate Fi is stronger up the hills than PCX. As they should be since they are lighter and have similar power

well 60mph is 96 kmh, so you v got to make up your mind on what speed the limiter kicks in:)

side by side with same heavy load, Elegance 135 and Suzuki Skydrive/Hayate Fi is stronger up the hills than PCX. As they should be since they are lighter and have similar power

If there is speedometer error on the optimistic side and Per's PCX rental is indicating 105 kph his number and what I'm seeing for internet figures should be very close.

Honda Shop Claims 14hk for the PCX . , CBR 17hk . . . , Elegance 11hk ...

Changing out the CDI box with one that doesn't flatten out until higher up in the rpm range (something like a racing one) will give you a higher rev limit and higher top speed.

I've zipped upto 100kph no problems with my PS150i, Same engine, electrics, mechanical parts and suspension bar body and wheel/rim diameters of the SH150i...only to have my wife zoom past on her (italian made) Vespa LX150, A bit more throttle and I passed her, Didn't look at the speed as my eyes were watering too much.

If there is speedometer error on the optimistic side and Per's PCX rental is indicating 105 kph his number and what I'm seeing for internet figures should be very close.

Not sure, the reports I have read show they all top out at about 108 kph 'spedo reading' as standard.. The Aling vids go up to about 128 (watched on yesterday).

Really ?? Then they lie..

10.06hp / 7.3Kw

The 135 elegance has more oomph than the 125 PCX imo..

Smoother ride but bigger too.

I feel better now as I own a 135 c.c. Elegance. Your figures for h.p. make sense to me. Where are you getting them by the way?

Edited by jackcorbett

And for me, there is a huge difference between how safe it is driving a Nouvo and any manual transmission bike and the comfort level between a Nouvo and say a Wave. Anyone who fails to recognize the huge danger level one faces daily driving among a bunch of brain dead drivers in a place such as Pattaya is blind. In such city driving situations automatics allow their drivers to focus on how they can avoid colliding with the idiots all around them instead of having to worry about when to shift.

im sorry, this is utter nonsense.

Any competent rider does not even think about shifting, same as in an automobile. it is a muscle memory thing. Joe tourist who has never ridden a bike has not reasonn to here especially in a high traffic or even a sandy road or island setting.

Secondly, i personally am VERY uncomfortable riding an automatic bike because of the lack of control. Try riding a click down a steep gravel driveway, no engine braking, linked brakes and the whole 9 yards. most unfun.

if you haven't developed the basic competence to shift gears, you should not be riding a bike on thai roads.

• Like 1

Really ?? Then they lie..

10.06hp / 7.3Kw

The 135 elegance has more oomph than the 125 PCX imo..

Smoother ride but bigger too.

I feel better now as I own a 135 c.c. Elegance. Your figures for h.p. make sense to me. Where are you getting them by the way?

bikez site

Looks like this is user accessible via a PC so I would say most will go slower, much slower after much fiddling by owner. Unless one has a back yard dyno or unless they give away the perfect settings at time of purchase, in which case why bother to have a PC accessible program.

Probably OK for competition.

This topic is getting to be fun.

Looks like this is user accessible via a PC so I would say most will go slower, much slower after much fiddling by owner. Unless one has a back yard dyno or unless they give away the perfect settings at time of purchase, in which case why bother to have a PC accessible program.

Probably OK for competition.

This topic is getting to be fun.

Currently the ECU (or PGM-FI as Honda prefers to call it) is programmed for good fuel-economics and less for performance. With loading different fuel-maps, similar as you can do with a Dynojet Power Commander III available for several big bikes, you can change that to be less concentrated on fuel-economics and more to the performance side.With the software, you can actual see a lot of stuff without a dyno. You can see how well the fuel was burned, if not burned completely you likely have the timing wrong or offer to much fuel to the engine... Sure modifying this would not be easy, but you can also upload already programmed fuel-maps to the blackbox... (Maybe soon you can even download them from websites)

And for me, there is a huge difference between how safe it is driving a Nouvo and any manual transmission bike and the comfort level between a Nouvo and say a Wave. Anyone who fails to recognize the huge danger level one faces daily driving among a bunch of brain dead drivers in a place such as Pattaya is blind. In such city driving situations automatics allow their drivers to focus on how they can avoid colliding with the idiots all around them instead of having to worry about when to shift.

im sorry, this is utter nonsense.

Any competent rider does not even think about shifting, same as in an automobile. it is a muscle memory thing. Joe tourist who has never ridden a bike has not reasonn to here especially in a high traffic or even a sandy road or island setting.

Secondly, i personally am VERY uncomfortable riding an automatic bike because of the lack of control. Try riding a click down a steep gravel driveway, no engine braking, linked brakes and the whole 9 yards. most unfun.

if you haven't developed the basic competence to shift gears, you should not be riding a bike on thai roads.

I disagree, any bike whether manual or auto has to be mastered. If YOU are Very uncomfortable on an auto then you haven't mastered a different type of transport that has 2 wheels. The PCX is a very civilized bike and if my wee mrs has no problem on hers then l am sure you won't unless you haven't developed the basic competance of eeeer 2 wheels then YOU should not be riding a bike on Thai roads. :)

Its impossible to 'master' the kind of control on an auto, when it keeps freewheeling so you have no engine braking. Its not a skill to be mastered because the auto cannot physically perform that task.

have any of you tryed a highpower auto bike like yammy Tmax500, suz burgman650 or honda DN-01? They r great.:) It takes a while to get used to such auto-power, and getting off the throttle to quickly can provide a rearwheel slide just as on a manual bike.

I enjoy auto bikes. And traditional manual bikes with hand clutch, 1st DOWN and the rest up.

But really dislike to ride a Wave type centrifugal footoperated clutch bike with 1st UP and the rest down. Even after one year of riding those, I still had to focus on shifting right. Making a comparison with manual cars doesnt work, cause they all have 1st on the left and top gear on the right side

have any of you tryed a highpower auto bike like yammy Tmax500, suz burgman650 or honda DN-01? They r great.:) It takes a while to get used to such auto-power, and getting off the throttle to quickly can provide a rearwheel slide just as on a manual bike.

I enjoy auto bikes. And traditional manual bikes with hand clutch, 1st DOWN and the rest up.

But really dislike to ride a Wave type centrifugal footoperated clutch bike with 1st UP and the rest down. Even after one year of riding those, I still had to focus on shifting right. Making a comparison with manual cars doesnt work, cause they all have 1st on the left and top gear on the right side

offtopic.gif

offtopic.gif

The first auto bike l saw was yeeeeeears back, a Moto Guzzi, have l spelt that right ? Monster of a bike, l am sure you experts will know the bike. :D

As for you, up there, don't be so boring. :rolleyes:

well 21 posts in 3 years, and one of them pretending to be mod, thats boring:huh:

and were not even really off topic, since were discussing the history and performance of auto bikes pre PCX:rolleyes:

PCX is just a TMax wannabee:lol:

Puch and Piaggio both 50cc and needed additional pedal power up the hills, approx 35 years ago, really fashion at that time, CVT and all:D