Honda Pcx

alexth

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just came back from my dealership now...

I have not had much time the last month to ride my bike, so I thought I should spoil it abit with some new oil today (5000km)... I also complained that the engine seemed a bit weaker than my friends PCX now,(2 bikes to be precise)...

It turned out that there were too much oil in the engine, simple fix, they drained that out and replaced it with new correct amount of oil...

They also serviced my love, and the total bill today was 100B!

The ride (back from the dealership was very different than what I had gotten used too, it was faster, more powerful and fun to ride...

Tomorrow I will go on a long test ride and I will give some more feedback on the trip...

NST -- Had Yai and back in one day... not more than 400km..

I will also measure the fuel consumption on this trip... Should be less than 1b pr. km...

What do you guys think a PCX bought today will sell for a year from now? Assuming less than 10.000km and no damage.

today they sell at 50k with 2k km

Well there is one for sale in the classifieds offered at 50k with 1500kms on it but to my mind that's an absolute 'steal' the guy must be desperate to sell. They're mostly advertised at 60-65k currently but after a year and with 10kms probably 50-55k is more realistic. I guess it depends whether you would need to sell it quickly ?

What do you guys think a PCX bought today will sell for a year from now? Assuming less than 10.000km and no damage.

today they sell at 50k with 2k km

Well there is one for sale in the classifieds offered at 50k with 1500kms on it but to my mind that's an absolute 'steal' the guy must be desperate to sell. They're mostly advertised at 60-65k currently but after a year and with 10kms probably 50-55k is more realistic. I guess it depends whether you would need to sell it quickly ?

would have bought it if it wasnt 1200 km from here

they key issue to one year old pricing of pcx will be the price of the entrylevel model to come soon. New entry at 59?k or full spec oneyearold at 50k

Never ever even seen the manual...

I have several times switched the idle start/stop button while riding, never had any problems with it apart from the fact I have to restart the bike to get moving again...

Did not go on my new 400k trip last wednesday, I had to do it in my mates Pajero Sport, they are nice!

I've looked through most of this thread and searched the PCX fairly extensively but have been unable to find (probably missed it!) a straight answer to its top speed. Quoted on one site as 50mph another as 67mph others still quote varying speeds for uphill or downhill or with a following wind!! Can anyone who has already got one please satisfy my curiosity as to a reasonably comfortable maximum cruising speed? I'm mainly interested in it for in-town riding but as my journey in is about 6kms I do tend to cruise at around 80-90kph on my current ride (cbr150) and wonder if the PCX would be an adequate replacement when the time comes in the next few months. Have previously been considering the Tiger Boxer but I don't really need it's out of town capabilities and although I hadn't previously considered a scooter this one looks like it might a bit more stable than the average scoot, with its chunkier tyres, and the fuel economy figures make it sound quite attractive as an alternative. Then again Honda may bring out a fuel injected CBR............. :)

I've looked through most of this thread and searched the PCX fairly extensively but have been unable to find (probably missed it!) a straight answer to its top speed. Quoted on one site as 50mph another as 67mph others still quote varying speeds for uphill or downhill or with a following wind!! Can anyone who has already got one please satisfy my curiosity as to a reasonably comfortable maximum cruising speed? I'm mainly interested in it for in-town riding but as my journey in is about 6kms I do tend to cruise at around 80-90kph on my current ride (cbr150) and wonder if the PCX would be an adequate replacement when the time comes in the next few months. Have previously been considering the Tiger Boxer but I don't really need it's out of town capabilities and although I hadn't previously considered a scooter this one looks like it might a bit more stable than the average scoot, with its chunkier tyres, and the fuel economy figures make it sound quite attractive as an alternative. Then again Honda may bring out a fuel injected CBR............. :)

Top speed is restricted to 108kph, It's easily capable of cruising at 80-90kph in fact this week I did a 340km round trip and for extended periods was cruising comfortably at 100kph. It's surprisingly comfortable and easy over such a distance.

I use it mainly around town and it's perfect for that.

Top speed is restricted to 108kph, It's easily capable of cruising at 80-90kph in fact this week I did a 340km round trip and for extended periods was cruising comfortably at 100kph. It's surprisingly comfortable and easy over such a distance.

I use it mainly around town and it's perfect for that.

Thanks for that, sounds like it might be just what I need.

I rented a PCX in Pattaya last night just to give it a try. Sorry but I was extremely disappointed with the bike and its performance. The acceleration is not any better than most automatic motorcycles, and far worse that the Nuevo Ellegance. The top speed was 104 KPH and it took the bike forever to reach that speed. The sitting position was uncomfortable becasue of the notch in the seat that prevented me from sitting farther back on the seat leaving my legs folded in an uncomfortable position and the starting interlocks were annoying. It will not start with thekickstand down, and you have tosqueeze the left brake for it to start. I'm sure you might get used to that, but I felt the bike was nagging me. The right brake is hydraulic, but the left is a cable, apparently to save a few baht. The brake handles are too thin, and just the cheapest medal ones. At 70k it should have had something nicer and all hydraulic brakes. The brakes were adequate, but I disliked the combo brake and would prefer one control for the front and another for the rear.

This thing costs alomst 70,000 Baht and it's just not worth it. It costs almost as much as 2 Honda Waves and definitely not worth twice the price. I did like the wide tires and it was smooth quiet and well mannered, but it is certainly not a replacement for any real motorcycle, not even a small CBR-150. I really thnk Honda is whoring their brand image with all the silly hype over this mediocre bike.

It only cost me 350 baht to rent one for the day, and the rental place was very honest and appeared to be nice people. (no hastle getting my deposit back, they did not nickpick every little scratch or try to blame me for the few that were already there when I rented. it.) I have no desire to ever ride another one.

I really constructively suggest anyone thinking about paying 70,000 baht for one of these rent one somewhere for a day and try it out. You could really save yourself an expensive disappointment. They are not worth twice the price of a Honda Wave.

but it is worth every single baht to me.

I agree with that, we already had a Wave and a Click when I bought the PCX. The PCX is just in a different class, so much so that it's the only bike of the three that I ride now and I would certainly buy another when the time came.

It's perfectly capable of longer distances and the ideal bike around town.

I've done 5,000+kms on mine now and am more than happy with it

Edited by b19bry

Pointless to argue a matter of subjective opinion back and forth. The main message I wanted to convey is to rent it before you buy it. You cannot tell a good bike from a mediocre one sitting on it in the dealership, and even a short test ride does not really give you a chance to experience the bike fully, 350 baht (probably less if you negotiate) and you have the bike for a full day and can really see what it can or cannot do, and how it feels without a salesperson breathing down your neck. I do feel this bike has been overly hyped.

Most dealers here are very arrogant when it comes to test drives, and that is something I find amazingly silly.

Edited by Bobr

Pointless to argue a matter of subjective opinion back and forth.

I agree, but curious then that you should come back to merely re-state what you had written in your previous post. I responded to your post because having owned and ridden the bike over an extensive period and distance I felt your review of the bike was unreasonably harsh. With lines like :

I really thnk Honda is whoring their brand image with all the silly hype over this mediocre bike.

I felt it didn't represent a 'balanced' view and was trying to present an owners perspective. I think most PCX owners on this forum are pretty happy with their bikes. No-ones' suggesting it as a full replacement for a motorcycle but for the previous poster gmac's stated requirements it's an ideal fit.

The main message I wanted to convey is to rent it before you buy it.

The fact that you underlined all of this message (and more) in your previous post should have got that point across don't you think ?

I do feel this bike has been overly hyped.

Yeah, you said that already in the above along with the whoring bit :boring:

B19bry: Have fun with your miracle on 2 wheels. I wrote a constructive post suggesting the PCX may not be the miracle on 2 wheels the hype is claiming it is. People such as yourself who attack someone for criticizing a mediocre motorcycle need to get a life. It's not your wife, your mother or religion I insulted, it's a stupid motor scooter and how one cheap motor scooter can be in a "different class" than another cheap motor scooter is beyond my understanding. Try riding a BMW, that's a different class.

END OF DISCUSSION AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED.

Edited by Bobr

- snip -

I really constructively suggest anyone thinking about paying 70,000 baht for one of these rent one somewhere for a day and try it out. You could really save yourself an expensive disappointment. They are not worth twice the price of a Honda Wave.

Pheeww... thank you, you save me, and for a 350 baht only. :lol:

B19bry: Have fun with your miracle on 2 wheels.

I do have fun riding my PCX thanks, but nobody is claiming it be a miracle on 2 wheels. It's just a very good runabout that is also a useful limited distance tourer. Maybe your dissapointment stems from the fact that your setting your expectations too high as a miracle on 2 wheels.

I wrote a constructive post suggesting the PCX may not be the miracle on 2 wheels the hype is claiming it is. People such as yourself who attack someone for criticizing a mediocre motorcycle need to get a life.

Well the point is that what you wrote (on the strength of having ridden the bike for a day) reads as an unbalanced diatribe against the PCX. I felt it called for a reasoned response from someone who has a little more experience riding the bike. The fact that you have to embellish your 'constructive post' with some colourful language and underlines and now in your final post resort to upper-case, in my view does nothing to add to the power of your argument.

Again it's not a miracle on 2 wheels I'm not sure where you're getting that from, I don't believe anyone has said that.

Resorting to personal insults also adds little to the power of your argument.

It's not your wife, your mother or religion I insulted, it's a stupid motor scooter and how one cheap motor scooter can be in a "different class" than another cheap motor scooter is beyond my understanding.

Feel free to insult my wife, mother, or religion, you don't know any of them or me in fact ! I think the same applies to the PCX when I read what you write about it. If you think the Wave and the PCX ride as if they are the same class of bike I think that only proves my point.

Try riding a BMW, that's a different class.

In my biking career I've ridden many different style and marques of bike, BMW included, so I'm well aware what different classes (and price levels) are and my expectations of the PCX are that it's basically a zippy, comfortable runabout which it more than fulfills. Yes it's more expensive than the competition but I believe you get what you pay for and the fact that it can cruise well over longer distances is to me a bonus.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to sound like a troll, but PCX was a decent bike, it just does not live up to the hype that has surrounded its introduction. i was expecting something faster, smoother and better built than any automatic bike before it. It's is smooth and very well made, but the performance was disappointing. Again based on the hype I was expecting something that could keep with with an old technology Sonic or CBr-150 and it clearly cannot.

I don't want to sound like a troll, but PCX was a decent bike, it just does not live up to the hype that has surrounded its introduction. i was expecting something faster, smoother and better built than any automatic bike before it. It's is smooth and very well made, but the performance was disappointing. Again based on the hype I was expecting something that could keep with with an old technology Sonic or CBr-150 and it clearly cannot.

If you want absolute speed then you best go for another bike .I normally drive a Honda Phantom 200cc ,but recently hired a PCX for 3 days in Pattaya .I found it great with plenty of acceleration ,and more than fast enough around town .Its the quietest and smoothest bike i have ever riden .Automatics tend to drink a lot of Gasoline but this one was very frugal .With a passenger it also handeled well .The stop star worked as advertised .It has lots of extra handy features like big under seat storage and foot stand cut off .

I intend buying one in the near future .Anyone in Chiang Mai want to buy a Phantom with loads of extras ?

If the message from Bobr is that you should drive a bike before you buy it, that is certainly true (for any bike). I have not seen or heard any "hype" from Honda on the PCX, but apparently, according to Bobr, it is everywhere. I considered a Yamaha Elegance and a PCX for several weeks. I talked to at least 4 independent Thai motorbike mechanics, each of whom had no interest in Honda or Yamaha. Each, without exception, told me that Honda is far better than Yamaha. One in particular mentioned the superior electronics of Honda. He was at that moment installing add-ons on a new PCX. I chose and purchased a PCX about 1 month ago. It is amazing smooth and quiet, but these are not criteria that I put a lot of value on on a motorbike (I certainly would on a car). Also, the increased fuel economy is, to me, irrelevant. I pay less than B80 per week for fuel for a motorbike, so what's the big deal? It is comfortable and a bit larger than a Click, Airblade or Elegance, and most farang males will like that. I don't think it is significantly better than the Airblade, but it is only about B12,000 more, which probably pays for the "toys" such as the stop-start feature, etc. I have heard that there will be a new, stripped down PCX in a few months that will drop these toys and price it equal to the Elegance (about B56,000). That should satisfy those that complain that the PCX isn't worth the B70 price tag. I have a Shadow, a Phantom and a PCX (the PCX replaced a Click that we gave away (I really disliked the single shock in the back on the Click)). If I had to choose one bike, unlike Thaifan, I would choose the Phantom. It is the best all around bike for a farang male, but it sure isn't fast (that may be good). My GF would of course disagree. She loves the PCX, and gets complements whenever she drives it from Thais. But for an around the town automatic, the PCX is about as good as you will find in Thailand -- "horses for courses". Is it worth B70,000, up to you............ I have not talked to a single PCX owner who regrets the purchase (I have spoken to several before I bought mine -- no regret from me). In any event, if you are thinking of buying one, rent one first for a few days so you can measure "hype" from reality.

if you want fast, smooth and better build auto, have a look at Suzuki Burgman 650, Yamaha TMax 500 and Honda DN-01.

PCX is a 125cc auto bike with huge plastic panels making it more heavy than competition, and equipeed with electronics making some users happy. Power, brakes and handling is not on par with Yamaha Elegance 135cc

I just rented a PCX last weekend in Phuket for 3 days. Its quiet and fit large persons well. I did get a sore arse though after 25+ KMs he-he.

If the bike is wort +70K bath is a difficult question, I spend 750K on a Harley and never regretted it, and some people are wiling to spend almost 100K on the new cool looking Vespa.

I think I will stick to the wife's Fino for city driving for the time being, on the Fino I can stick a 15kg rice bag on the floor rest, will be difficult on the PCX.

All that said I quite liked the PCX and will not rule it out when the Fino retires in 3-5 years time.

Yes as ealier posts said: if you consider buying one, rent for minimum 2-3 days and then make up your mind.

Anyone knows where I can rent this thing in BKK? I live in Asok. Just want to drive it little bit before buying and retailers dont let drive new bikes. And where I can buy it with 69k baht? I went to some motorcycle shop at Rama 4 and price there was 72k baht.

It is comfortable and a bit larger than a Click, Airblade or Elegance, and most farang males will like that.

Tho actually I find that a miss perception with that seat hump in the way.. I have yet to ride one that sbeen modified to remove the hump so reserve judgement until then. But personally think its in the over regarded side.

Now if it had a 150cc or 180cc lump, fatter tyres.. Leant more to the maxi scooter side I could see the price premium a bit more.