Honda Pcx

alexth

Agree up to a point... but a large old thing like me needs to have the largest size Scooter possible, Yes the Nouvo Elegance looks nice but the Honda PCX is just that bit bigger in size, no idea about the Tiger Gmax, only on website pictures it look a bit bigger than a PCX ??

As said before no idea about present day Scooters, but option appear to be very limited in Thailand.. 55,000 or 70,000 baht, next appears to be 350,000 or 555,000 baht.

Or 100k for the Vespa LX 150.

It's physically much larger than the PCX which makes it very comfortable. Not exactly a powerhouse. Then again, it will get the looks, guaranteed ;)

Edited by nikster

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is comfortable and a bit larger than a Click, Airblade or Elegance, and most farang males will like that.

Tho actually I find that a miss perception with that seat hump in the way.. I have yet to ride one that sbeen modified to remove the hump so reserve judgement until then. But personally think its in the over regarded side.

Now if it had a 150cc or 180cc lump, fatter tyres.. Leant more to the maxi scooter side I could see the price premium a bit more.

For about B2,000 the Honda dealer can fit a black Honda seat without the hump/bump. For some tall farang, that may make a big comfort difference. Some buyers have the bump removed, and there are pictures of the midified PCX on the forum. The bump/hump, at best, adds nothing, and Honda would do well removing it very quickly in future models, with a one-piece contoured seat. .

It is comfortable and a bit larger than a Click, Airblade or Elegance, and most farang males will like that.

Tho actually I find that a miss perception with that seat hump in the way.. I have yet to ride one that sbeen modified to remove the hump so reserve judgement until then. But personally think its in the over regarded side.

Now if it had a 150cc or 180cc lump, fatter tyres.. Leant more to the maxi scooter side I could see the price premium a bit more.

PCX is wider than Elegance, but not larger in any way. Shorter wheelbase, shorter overall, less legroom, shorter seat, much smaller wheels

Agree up to a point... but a large old thing like me needs to have the largest size Scooter possible, Yes the Nouvo Elegance looks nice but the Honda PCX is just that bit bigger in size, no idea about the Tiger Gmax, only on website pictures it look a bit bigger than a PCX ??

As said before no idea about present day Scooters, but option appear to be very limited in Thailand.. 55,000 or 70,000 baht, next appears to be 350,000 or 555,000 baht.

It's physically much larger than the PCX which makes it very comfortable. Not exactly a powerhouse. Then again, it will get the looks, guaranteed ;)

For most people, that buy a small automatic motorbike for cheap, reliable around-the-town transportation (and no car as back-up), I cannot imagine that a Vespa makes sense at B100K. I would worry about parts and their cost and finding a good mechanic that can maintain it, especially if I encountered a problem somewhere out in the sticks. No such problems with Honda or Yamaha, as parts are readily availble and mechanics are well skilled in keeping them going and going.... like the Eveready bunny..............

For most people, that buy a small automatic motorbike for cheap, reliable around-the-town transportation (and no car as back-up), I cannot imagine that a Vespa makes sense at B100K. I would worry about parts and their cost and finding a good mechanic that can maintain it, especially if I encountered a problem somewhere out in the sticks. No such problems with Honda or Yamaha, as parts are readily availble and mechanics are well skilled in keeping them going and going.... like the Eveready bunny..............

witc carbs, yes.

Injection needs computer and knowledge still lacking most Honda shops

My buddy and I drove our motorbikes with our girlfriends behind us to the Crocodile Farm yesterday. He has a Yamaha Mio while I was driving my 135 c.c. Nouvo Elegance. We were talking about how our bikes (and we) would handle a trip across Thailand, provided we took our time. It so happens he's English and I commented to him again that I had ridden a bicycle all over England and Scotland when I was 17. covering something like 1500 miles in about six weeks while staying in youth hostels. So how would we do on our motorbikes? Well, a lot of guys might comment that our bikes are too small, but when one thinks about it pedaling across the Scottish Highlands on an old 3 speed bicycle compared to going up and down big hills on a 135 c.c. Elegance is like moving up to a Cadillac from a Model T. I think we could have a great time so long as we didn't expect to achieve 70 miles per hour average speeds as we would on American superhighways. I said to him that I have so much confidence in my Nouvo Elegance that about the only thing that might go wrong would be a burnt out light bulb. He mentioned flat tires and how these can be fixed anywhere, even out in the boonies. I'd be very surprised if either of us had transmission or engine problems that would stop us. New tires, tubes, etc would be available just about anywhere. As for a Vespa......There is no way I'd have the peace of mind to even consider such a trip. One can start with the tires......they are an odd undersized size, and that's just the beginning of the tale when it comes to parts unavailability putting a real damper on such an outing.

Edited by jackcorbett

My buddy and I drove our motorbikes with our girlfriends behind us to the Crocodile Farm yesterday. He has a Yamaha Mio while I was driving my 135 c.c. Nouvo Elegance. We were talking about how our bikes (and we) would handle a trip across Thailand, provided we took our time. It so happens he's English and I commented to him again that I had ridden a bicycle all over England and Scotland when I was 17. covering something like 1500 miles in about six weeks while staying in youth hostels. So how would we do on our motorbikes? Well, a lot of guys might comment that our bikes are too small, but when one thinks about it pedaling across the Scottish Highlands on an old 3 speed bicycle compared to going up and down big hills on a 135 c.c. Elegance is like moving up to a Cadillac from a Model T. I think we could have a great time so long as we didn't expect to achieve 70 miles per hour average speeds as we would on American superhighways. I said to him that I have so much confidence in my Nouvo Elegance that about the only thing that might go wrong would be a burnt out light bulb. He mentioned flat tires and how these can be fixed anywhere, even out in the boonies. I'd be very surprised if either of us had transmission or engine problems that would stop us. New tires, tubes, etc would be available just about anywhere. As for a Vespa......There is no way I'd have the peace of mind to even consider such a trip. One can start with the tires......they are an odd undersized size, and that's just the beginning of the tale when it comes to parts unavailability putting a real damper on such an outing.

I can vouch for the fact that the PCX is great over longer distances and can comfortably cruise at up to 100kph. The major issue over longer distances is the size of the tank and the fact that on longer trips you'll be stopping to top up regularly which may get tiresome.

Go for it. Yes take your time and enjoy the scenery and you will be fine. I am sure they are very reliable and can be fixed everywhere if your bike(s) develop a problem which is very unlikely if the bikes are relatively new.

Remember to buy rain gear.

Clearly, you're right about parts.

About the price though - the same Vespa LX 150 costs 150,000 baht in the USA. So if we get it for 100k over here - it's a steal!

Clearly, you're right about parts.

About the price though - the same Vespa LX 150 costs 150,000 baht in the USA. So if we get it for 100k over here - it's a steal!

You may certainly be right. But how much is a PCX or an Elegance in the US? They may also be on a percentage basis equally cheap in Thailand as compared to the US. But even if the Vespa is relatively cheaper as compared to the US prices, I would still much rather have a Honda or Yamaha in Thailand -- a Vespa wouldn't even get on the radar unless they were giving them away (and B100k is not giving them away).

The sitting position was uncomfortable because of the notch in the seat that prevented me from sitting farther back on the seat leaving my legs folded in an uncomfortable position and the starting interlocks were annoying.

I don't agree to all your other comments, but the seat is a kind of headache. The notch is does the same to me, I wonder whether somebody has seen some after market seats without it. Otherwise there are plenty of shops in Pattaya who would build you a new one, however quality is not always up to my expectations. Otherwise the bike runs very fine and it's fun.

Cheers

I don't agree to all your other comments, but the seat is a kind of headache.

One problem that the Vespa definitely doesn't have. It's very comfortable, and large. I have to stretch my legs to reach the ground and I am 5'11". Certainly a first for a scooter in Thailand for me.

But back to the PCX, I wonder why they don't sell the red one in Thailand, looks really good:

Honda-PCX-11_Det17.jpg

I don't agree to all your other comments, but the seat is a kind of headache.

One problem that the Vespa definitely doesn't have. It's very comfortable, and large. I have to stretch my legs to reach the ground and I am 5'11". Certainly a first for a scooter in Thailand for me.

But back to the PCX, I wonder why they don't sell the red one in Thailand, looks really good:

Honda-PCX-11_Det17.jpg

For many Thais Red is unlucky. And they will not ride or drive a red vehicle. Last year i had an accident on my red bike. the girlfriend asked me to sell it and not get another red bike. i agreed cos i was getting a car anyway. then went and bought a 'cherry' bike it aint red its cherry so thats ok  :D

• Like 1

For many Thais Red is unlucky. And they will not ride or drive a red vehicle. Last year i had an accident on my red bike. the girlfriend asked me to sell it and not get another red bike. i agreed cos i was getting a car anyway. then went and bought a 'cherry' bike it aint red its cherry so thats ok :D

Hi Allan,

I never heard that red is unlucky here , but i am pretty much doomed if it is. Red Triton, Red Fino, Red Click, red/wite Scoopy , red/white Retro even the tandem Bicycle is red :whistling::unsure::rolleyes:

No unluck happened ( knock on red painted wood :D) actually quite to opposite ..wife insists since we have the red triton both our Businesses were kicking off really well.

I like Red color for being "seen in traffic" and it is looking "faster" ...the downside of red is , some may see it as political statement .

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Very nice lines on this bike and in red it does look sensational. It doesn't matter if I look at the bikes in the new Central Shopping Mall parking lot or in our condo parking area here, nearly all the bikes look God-awful because of their extremely ugly color schemes. First...most are multi-tone--unlike the red PCX in this picture which is gorgeous in comparison due to its simplicity and second they have all sorts of garish lettering all over them, designs etc making them look extremely busy. Haven't seen an attractively colored Fino in years---ever since I bought an ex girlfriend one in a monotone red. Yamaha Nouvo's Elegance when it first came out had terrible color schemes with large lettering all over the bikes. The red colored rear shock springs that came with the dark colored offering completed the ugliness of this first stable of Elegances. The first Air Blades that came out were drab but at least they weren't offered in stripes or polka dots. Just what were these motorbike manufacturers thinking?

witc carbs, yes.

Injection needs computer and knowledge still lacking most Honda shops

The fuel-injection system on the modern Honda motorcycles is service free, nothing a Honda dealer can service – other then some cleaning which is very similar to what a dealer would do with a regular carburetor. If the electronics of the injection system is somehow off – the dealer can only replace the ECU unit, which needs not more knowledge than replacing a fuse... (disconnect old unit and reconnect the new unit).

Overall, service on a modern fuel-injection motorcycle is less complicated... A carburetor system need a service person who has experience with that type of carburetor and motorcycle to tune the machine to give perfect performance.

The fuel-injection system on the modern Honda motorcycles is service free, nothing a Honda dealer can service – other then some cleaning which is very similar to what a dealer would do with a regular carburetor. If the electronics of the injection system is somehow off – the dealer can only replace the ECU unit, which needs not more knowledge than replacing a fuse... (disconnect old unit and reconnect the new unit).

Overall, service on a modern fuel-injection motorcycle is less complicated... A carburetor system need a service person who has experience with that type of carburetor and motorcycle to tune the machine to give perfect performance.

Replacing ECU doesnt help on sensor failure or corroded contacts or malfunctioning valves

Very nice lines on this bike and in red it does look sensational. It doesn't matter if I look at the bikes in the new Central Shopping Mall parking lot or in our condo parking area here, nearly all the bikes look God-awful because of their extremely ugly color schemes. First...most are multi-tone--unlike the red PCX in this picture which is gorgeous in comparison due to its simplicity and second they have all sorts of garish lettering all over them, designs etc making them look extremely busy. Haven't seen an attractively colored Fino in years---ever since I bought an ex girlfriend one in a monotone red. Yamaha Nouvo's Elegance when it first came out had terrible color schemes with large lettering all over the bikes. The red colored rear shock springs that came with the dark colored offering completed the ugliness of this first stable of Elegances. The first Air Blades that came out were drab but at least they weren't offered in stripes or polka dots. Just what were these motorbike manufacturers thinking?

I believe one of the reasons PCX is considered up market, is the total lack of stickers. Looks stunning in red:)

Replacing ECU doesnt help on sensor failure or corroded contacts or malfunctioning valves

Malfunctioning of valves or similar items also happen to motorcycle equipped with a carburetor. The failure of sensors are easily solved again by replacement. The Honda ECU has a service connection, with a small handheld device which generate error codes. This error codes are clearly explained in the service manual. Again no mistake can be made, no special education is needed (other than somebody needs to be able to read).

p.s. why in a digital age will Honda supply so simple device that only generates 4 digit codes? The reason is simple, Honda sells this service devices for around 1,000 bht which is not more than a average torque wrench.or screw driver set...

Malfunctioning of valves or similar items also happen to motorcycle equipped with a carburetor. The failure of sensors are easily solved again by replacement. The Honda ECU has a service connection, with a small handheld device which generate error codes. This error codes are clearly explained in the service manual. Again no mistake can be made, no special education is needed (other than somebody needs to be able to read).

p.s. why in a digital age will Honda supply so simple device that only generates 4 digit codes? The reason is simple, Honda sells this service devices for around 1,000 bht which is not more than a average torque wrench.or screw driver set...

Its just that all Honda dealers dont have this yet. My GF Airblade Fi failed, top speed 60. Solution disconnect battery and ECU and see what happens. It works again, but just by luckB)

I have been a huge fan of Fi for 30 years, but that was in Europe. Before that (1975-1980) it was to complicated for most garages. Out in the bushes here, I d prefere carb

Its just that all Honda dealers dont have this yet. My GF Airblade Fi failed, top speed 60. Solution disconnect battery and ECU and see what happens. It works again, but just by luckB)

I have been a huge fan of Fi for 30 years, but that was in Europe. Before that (1975-1980) it was to complicated for most garages. Out in the bushes here, I d prefere carb

Hmm official Honda dealers/service centers need to have this device. And disconnecting the battery, will reset the system similar to how a computer will restart without electricity.

Hmm official Honda dealers/service centers need to have this device. And disconnecting the battery, will reset the system similar to how a computer will restart without electricity.

agree, they should have it. Rather helpless without it

Serviced my 2 Ninja650Rs at kwaker Phuket couple months ago. Still no OBD/ECU reader thereB)

For many Thais Red is unlucky. And they will not ride or drive a red vehicle. Last year i had an accident on my red bike. the girlfriend asked me to sell it and not get another red bike. i agreed cos i was getting a car anyway. then went and bought a 'cherry' bike it aint red its cherry so thats ok   :D

Hi Allan,

I never heard that red is unlucky here , but i am pretty much doomed if it is. Red Triton, Red Fino, Red Click, red/wite Scoopy , red/white Retro even the tandem Bicycle is red :whistling::unsure::rolleyes:

No unluck happened ( knock on red painted wood :D) actually quite to opposite ..wife insists since we have the red triton both our Businesses were kicking off really well.

I like Red color for being "seen in traffic" and it is looking "faster" ...the downside of red is , some may see it as political statement .

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

I was wrong... It seems that the horoscope sez red or black is unlucky for US. as in the girlfriend and family. It seems blue or white is lucky for us....... :whistling::whistling::rolleyes::rolleyes:

agree, they should have it. Rather helpless without it

Serviced my 2 Ninja650Rs at kwaker Phuket couple months ago. Still no OBD/ECU reader thereB)

What can I say about the service of Kawasaki Thailand, they not even have vital engine parts available of an engine they still sold 4-years ago... Also, the diagnostics of a Kawasaki ECU is a bit more complicated. For the PGM-FI system every Thai grease-monkey with a Honda ECU diagnostic device can check any Honda motorcycle equipped with a PGM-FI system, so from the smallest Wave 110i to the VFR1200F he can read the error codes and give a accurate answer what is wrong with your motorcycle. For Kawasaki the ECU diagnostic system is a bit bigger and more complicated, and for a garage to have one is for the owner something do I buy the new pickup for my business or do I invest in a ECU diagnostic system...

For many Thais Red is unlucky. And they will not ride or drive a red vehicle. Last year i had an accident on my red bike. the girlfriend asked me to sell it and not get another red bike. i agreed cos i was getting a car anyway. then went and bought a 'cherry' bike it aint red its cherry so thats ok :D

Now that PCX in red looks great.

I never heard about the color red being unlucky on a MC. Just asked boths sides of my next door folks, he is 65 years old with a red 125 Dream 80kilos. He has never heard of any thing of the sort. He did smile and think well maybe I sould buy a new MC then.:)

Not saying some Thai's might think a red bike in unlucky. I'll keep checking around. Now the the VIN number ends with the number "4" that is thought of unluckly all over asia.

Edited by sendbaht

I believe one of the reasons PCX is considered up market, is the total lack of stickers. Looks stunning in red:)

There are stick-on decals available for the PCX, as an "extra". They are not excessive, offensive or gaudy, and do add a nice bit of "flare". Remeber, the PCX is a motorbike, NOT a 4 door saloon. I agree that the red PCX looks great with no decals or other detailing. But that cannot be said for the bronze or gray ones. They are really dull and boring. I don't think that the bronze one can be help with much of anything -- just a really ugly color. Mine is pearl white with black decals and it looks very nice indeed (and better than without). I would trade it for a red one with no decals in an instant, but that option isn't available in Thailand. I think that many owners don't realize that the decals are available (the dealers don't push them), but when they see them on other nPCX's and realize they are available, I think you will see a lot more PCX's with decals.