Honda Pcx

alexth

Sort of off topic but having an ear for perhaps mechanical problems, and whilst sitting in the garden listening to the world go by, l have noticed a particular make of bike/scooter has bad transmission noises, whether bad maintentance or not l don't know, but l have been taking a mental note of the offender and it is not a Honda. :)

Now we are left to guess if it is Yamaha or Suzuki then. Yamaha transmissions are making noises (I own one myself, but no problems) so do you mind to share your mental note with us?

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sort of off topic but having an ear for perhaps mechanical problems, and whilst sitting in the garden listening to the world go by, l have noticed a particular make of bike/scooter has bad transmission noises, whether bad maintentance or not l don't know, but l have been taking a mental note of the offender and it is not a Honda. :)

Now we are left to guess if it is Yamaha or Suzuki then. Yamaha transmissions are making noises (I own one myself, but no problems) so do you mind to share your mental note with us?

transam is talking about the thai boy racer scoot the Yamaha mio/ fino. But you really have to see the butchering these "Thai mechnics) do to the bikes. i'm suprised they go at all!

1. You need to ride the bike instead of continually coming out with crap like:

"Can't say for sure as I've never driven the PCX but greater weight and girth, and larger tires, is going to have definite disadvantages. Example in point, there is no way a PCX could have squeezed between the cars and motorbikes I squeezed through today on my Nouvo Elegance and I doubt the PCX will have the acceleration my Nouvo Elegance has"

"or a more agile slimmer machine that is more versatile"

the above comments having the inference that the PCX is unsuited to riding in traffic. I have ridden Click's, Waves and Airblades and I can assure you from first hand experience there is no discernable difference in versatility between them. The PCX doesn't feel any wider to a competent rider and has better acceleration. In summary - The PCX is totally usable and as versatile in traffic as any of the other small autos.

No crap about it. Just plain simple fact. There's a PCX in our condo parking lot. Along with my Yamaha Nouvo Elegance. My Elegance measures approximately 25.75 inches across the handle bars. The PCX measures 28 inches. Across what I might refer to as a small fairing the Elegance measures 17 inches to the Honda's 21 inches. With the foot pegs pulled back on both machines the Elegance measures 19 inches to the PCX's 22 inches at this point. Lastly the seat area is 19 inches wide on the PCX---the Elegance is only 17.

So.....When the traffic gets jammed up and I find the smallest gaps between the cars and bikes lined up, so small at times that it seems I have only an inch on each side of my bars and I'm going so slow that I'm scraping the ground with my feet, the Elegance still gets through the narrowest gaps. In a lot of those places the PCX is simply too wide to slither through. This might mean that I'll get through a light when it's green while the PCX is still sitting unable to inch through. There's no denying the pure physics here...the Elegance is going to be able to knife through gaps that are going to stop the PCX cold. It's also going to be easier to park in the tight spots.

Edited by jackcorbett

No crap about it. Just plain simple fact. There's a PCX in our condo parking lot. Along with my Yamaha Nouvo Elegance. My Elegance measures approximately 25.75 inches across the handle bars. The PCX measures 28 inches. Across what I might refer to as a small fairing the Elegance measures 17 inches to the Honda's 21 inches. With the foot pegs pulled back on both machines the Elegance measures 19 inches to the PCX's 22 inches at this point. Lastly the seat area is 19 inches wide on the PCX---the Elegance is only 17.

So.....When the traffic gets jammed up and I find the smallest gaps between the cars and bikes lined up, so small at times that it seems I have only an inch on each side of my bars and I'm going so slow that I'm scraping the ground with my feet, the Elegance still gets through the narrowest gaps. In a lot of those places the PCX is simply too wide to slither through. This might mean that I'll get through a light when it's green while the PCX is still sitting unable to inch through. There's no denying the pure physics here...the Elegance is going to be able to knife through gaps that are going to stop the PCX cold. It's also going to be easier to park in the tight spots.

Oh please..........do you have any more stats....it's soooooooo interesting :) , either ride the bike or shut the F up !!

Oh please..........do you have any more stats....it's soooooooo interesting :) , either ride the bike or shut the F up !!

That's mighty kind of you. Now read those stats again and report back to me your findings.

I think stats or no stats it really depends on where you ride the PCX ...in BKK the PCX maybe a bit on the bigger but possibly stabler side for a scooter but if you live in some Town such as where i live or Khon Kaen i really couldn't care less over the stats for being a slight bit bigger. Driving is different in these towns. Jack is in pattaya , b19bry in Khon Kaen and i believe there is a difference in Traffic and "driving freedom" between these places...

I for one prefer the slight bigger more stable option, although i am well aware that i can get myself something much more to my liking for less or about the same price of the PCX .

Happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Poaching from Peaceblondie, I can say that I have no dog in this fight. Moreover, I am among the first to become accustomed to some bike - and because I am so accustomed to it - claim that it can do things better than others because I have done them with my bike.

As noted by MBOX, driving conditions do differ.

However, it is irrefutable that the mirrors on the PCX make it more difficult to maneuver in HEAVY traffic. I am sorry to make this point again, but some PCX advocates ignore this minor factor. Depending on my city and my driving habits, getting past auto mirrors, particularly BETWEEN auto and truck mirrors, is more difficult if my PCX mirrors are 220 cm WIDER - that's 5 1/2 inches, Yanks, than those of the Yammie in question.

On the other hand, while the PCX IS heavier, I find it well balanced - an excellent compromise of its type. Also, MOST PCX riders and advocates have missed a big bet in not carefully documenting their mileage figures, conditions of load and driving over an extended period - say four (big) tanks. I have no doubt that it outshines the Nouvo Elegance in mileage, in spite of claims for equivalence to the contrary. And I am not saying this because of the stop-start function alone; the engineering is there and overcomes the weight advantage to the NE.

Edited by CMX

Snowflake. What have you done to it?

When I got the bike I made the dealer take off the "hump"... Not intending to have it on I did not see the need to prolong the pain...

Then I went for the first seat change, a bit more foam and new leather (since the old had two large holes in it).

Then I went back for the second seat change, more foam, build up and more leather...

Then I went back for the third time, showed them that they have to cut off the two raised plastic holes in the seat for the hump... I also got more foam and a new black fabric over my seat...

3 times but my seat is fitted perfectly for my wide butt...

Then I also bought myself some gas shocks, which made a world in difference... going on my normal route is so much better now...

Other than that, just a new Givi (if it is real) box and the little coloured gadgets you can buy and they stick on with super glue...

Ohh... and I change the brown plastic with as much kevlar as possible...

All I need now is to find new black side panels so I can get rid of the brown ones...

I might modify the engine, but not quite sure yet..

As for handling, and riding in traffic... It comes down to the rider, not the bike... How well can you read the traffic... I can get around town much faster than my friends when I am on my PCX, you find the opening and you go...

I still think the NE is faster than the PCX but NOT more comfortable!!!

That's mighty kind of you. Now read those stats again and report back to me your findings.

OK, apologies for being so brusque but I get a little tired of reading the same stats and pontifications from you.

Why would I bother reading your stats, I have a PCX, Airblade, Click and a Wave at my disposal ? I know how they all are in traffic !

I never once backed off riding the PCX cos I felt it would be a liability in traffic, and I ride in traffic a fair bit. I also never have had (and I think any competent rider would also not have) any problems with it's size in that regard.

For you to try and assert that this is a failing or weakness of the bike when you have not ridden the machine and based purely on conjecture is simply unfair. So please either ride the bike or give it a rest.

In practical terms and with it's excellent 'pick-up', as I said before, the PCX is totally usable and as versatile in traffic as any of the other small autos.

Ok guys i am reading that the Pcx hits the wall speed wise at about 80kmh so I'm just wondering if the PCX could do with a different downpipe thus freeing up the breathing a bit and increasing the topend (i think they may be choked backa bit due to Emissions testing etc )Any one seen or done any mods yet.

On my old Cbr it made a big improvement.

Ok guys i am reading that the Pcx hits the wall speed wise at about 80kmh so I'm just wondering if the PCX could do with a different downpipe thus freeing up the breathing a bit and increasing the topend (i think they may be choked backa bit due to Emissions testing etc )Any one seen or done any mods yet.

speedlimiter is in CVT, and there is a separate thread on how to remove it

Then I also bought myself some gas shocks, which made a world in difference.... going on my normal route is so much better now...

Would you care to elaborate, what brand/model, price ?

Other than that, just a new Givi (if it is real) box and the little coloured gadgets you can buy and they stick on with super glue...

Ohh... and I change the brown plastic with as much kevlar as possible...

Were these the parts as in the Honda PCX Cataloque ?

All I need now is to find new black side panels so I can get rid of the brown ones...

Yeah I'm thinking of that too, be interested on what you find.

As for handling, and riding in traffic... It comes down to the rider, not the bike... How well can you read the traffic... I can get around town much faster than my friends when I am on my PCX, you find the opening and you go...

That's so true !

Kata where is that thread i've not seen it.

Kata where is that thread i've not seen it.

Look at the last few posts in this thread. I believe this is the one.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Honda-Pcx-St...ng-t358336.html

<!--quoteo(post=3662671:date=2010-06-03 08:05:10:name=snowflake)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snowflake @ 2010-06-03 08:05:10) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3662671"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then I also bought myself some gas shocks, which made a world in difference.... going on my normal route is so much better now...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Would you care to elaborate, what brand/model, price ?

Cant remember, but my shocks did cost 2800 (i think) but I have the box at home, will have some pics tomorrow... My THai mate who made me buy the PCX bought new shocks as well, his is 3800, will get some more info on that by tomorrow..

<!--quoteo(post=3662671:date=2010-06-03 08:05:10:name=snowflake)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snowflake @ 2010-06-03 08:05:10) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3662671"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Other than that, just a new Givi (if it is real) box and the little coloured gadgets you can buy and they stick on with super glue...

Ohh... and I change the brown plastic with as much kevlar as possible...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Were these the parts as in the Honda PCX Cataloque ?

Yep, all of them :-)

<!--quoteo(post=3662671:date=2010-06-03 08:05:10:name=snowflake)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snowflake @ 2010-06-03 08:05:10) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3662671"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All I need now is to find new black side panels so I can get rid of the brown ones...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I'm thinking of that too, be interested on what you find.

Currently all I have found in air... LOOKING but I will let you know... I have even thought about paying a Thai boy to spray paint the side panels...

<!--quoteo(post=3662671:date=2010-06-03 08:05:10:name=snowflake)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snowflake @ 2010-06-03 08:05:10) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3662671"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As for handling, and riding in traffic... It comes down to the rider, not the bike... How well can you read the traffic... I can get around town much faster than my friends when I am on my PCX, you find the opening and you go...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's so true !

"As for handling, and riding in traffic... It comes down to the rider, not the bike... How well can you read the traffic... I can get around town much faster than my friends when I am on my PCX, you find the opening and you go..."

Right!!!!

I agree 110 % or even more. That's why I can drive my Commuter through the worst of traffic more safely and faster than you can your Mazda 2: I'm a far more experienced, able, clear-headed, single minded, maxi-reflexed driver and - in sum - just superior. (That is, statistics, like science, never matter if you find it comfortable to ignore them.)

On the other hand,the PCX is quick, the PCX is agile, and the PCX is balanced. What it is NOT, comparatively, is THIN or LIGHTWEIGHT.

PS I have ridden the PCX, though just for a day. But I spent it wringing the thing out every whichway. Forgetting costs, or even including them, the one downside of a PCX, once you accept and adjust to minor compromises such as width, weight and cost increases - and tune up the chair - is its limited top speed - and good fixes are available.

PSS It is one thing to differ over the costs of compromises; it is another to ignore their existence, IMAO. Though the main thing is to drive safely on whatever it is.

had mine a month now. handles well, good brakes, wider tires a bit better, engine shutoff at lights is great - instant restart. One thing I don't like, the headlights are good, but when you turn on the high beams, the light seems to be distorted ,and the indicator light on the dash blinds you it is so big and bright

As I said in a post earlier its been many years since I had a bike, over 35yrs.

Talking to a Thai neigbour he is in his 50's into bikes, tells me that the 'Tiger G-Max Scooter' is the same price as the PCX but is a bigger scooter and maybe better for me. Never heard of them just noticed a Pokice bike was a 'Tiger'

Any advise please ? [MUST be Auto/CVT + electric start Scooter... REASON medical - lost the feeling in most of both feet years ago before I was aware I was Diabetic]

The PCX I did go and look at, it is nice, but the shutoff at lights is no point for me and where I live, there simply are no traffic lights all the places I go is a straight drive from point A to B

Found a pic but need advice

post-42643-065934100 1276407354_thumb.jp

Alan, the Tiger Gmax is 69000 thb ...price is mentioned here (you need to scroll down) Tiger & Sachs Biker's Club

and it is right the Tiger Gmax is basically the PGO Gmax .

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

The Tiger GMax is a good looking bike. It also has big tires and that is a plus. It also has a relatively large fuel tank (over 7 liters) and that's yet another plus. What I don't see is spending 69,000 baht when you can get a Nouvo Elegance for 52,000 baht (with wire wheels). I've also noticed the Gmax has 11 horsepower. The Nouvo Elegance has 11.2 horsepower. Furthermore the Elegance is liquid cooled whereas the Tiger G-Max is air cooled. Of course there are advantages to each cooling type of system. Nevertheless the trend has been to water cooling for the automatic motorbikes which is being billed by the manufacturers as an evolutionary step upwards.

Alan, the Tiger Gmax is 69000 thb ...price is mentioned here (you need to scroll down) Tiger & Sachs Biker's Club

and it is right the Tiger Gmax is basically the PGO Gmax .

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

The Tiger GMax is a good looking bike. It also has big tires and that is a plus. It also has a relatively large fuel tank (over 7 liters) and that's yet another plus. What I don't see is spending 69,000 baht when you can get a Nouvo Elegance for 52,000 baht (with wire wheels). I've also noticed the Gmax has 11 horsepower. The Nouvo Elegance has 11.2 horsepower. Furthermore the Elegance is liquid cooled whereas the Tiger G-Max is air cooled. Of course there are advantages to each cooling type of system. Nevertheless the trend has been to water cooling for the automatic motorbikes which is being billed by the manufacturers as an evolutionary step upwards.

Agree up to a point... but a large old thing like me needs to have the largest size Scooter possible, Yes the Nouvo Elegance looks nice but the Honda PCX is just that bit bigger in size, no idea about the Tiger Gmax, only on website pictures it look a bit bigger than a PCX ??

As said before no idea about present day Scooters, but option appear to be very limited in Thailand.. 55,000 or 70,000 baht, next appears to be 350,000 or 555,000 baht.

Also as I said looked at the PCX last week at Honda near me the saleslady said this PCX was the TOP model with the Stop/Start shutoff, within the next month or so there would be a cheaper version without this option. No price yet she said, but at a guess they would try to make it nearer the Nouvo Elegance price.

I have heard that they are launching the bottom version of the PCX soon, not the start stop function on it and I think the combi brake is gone too...

I am sure it will be like a Airblade... Wait if you can...

That tiger looks nice!

• 2 weeks later...

I do like the look of the Tiger G-Max, but have never seen one and where would one have the service done?

Both Honda and Yamaha the Service Centre is 15km away.

Also like the look of this 125cc

post-42643-054349200 1277251364_thumb.jp

or even this one comes in a 150cc or a 250cc

post-42643-020595700 1277251470_thumb.jp

Dealership is in Rama 2, so about 50km from me.

I do like the look of the Tiger G-Max, but have never seen one and where would one have the service done?

Hi, where are you located? If in BKK the Service can be done here: 1865 Phaton Yothin Road, Ladyao, Chatuchak, Bangkok, 10900

If you live elsewhere there are Service Center on most corners here but they may just not be advertised as such (or may be servicing other brands too)

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Hi, where are you located? If in BKK the Service can be done here: 1865 Phaton Yothin Road, Ladyao, Chatuchak, Bangkok, 10900

If you live elsewhere there are Service Center on most corners here but they may just not be advertised as such (or may be servicing other brands too)

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

OK many thanks, live 50km north west of BKK so this would not be to far..

Next question is where can I see this bike for real? Look and sit on..?

The Honda PCX is fine, but found the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance just a bit to small in the real, sitting on them, so want to do the same with the G-Max.. Thanks

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

OK many thanks, live 50km north west of BKK so this would not be to far..

Next question is where can I see this bike for real? Look and sit on..?

The Honda PCX is fine, but found the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance just a bit to small in the real, sitting on them, so want to do the same with the G-Max.. Thanks

Just got confirmed that there is a g-max test unit on the address(Tiger Showroom) mentioned before...appointment is necessary (PM me ) as they need to prepare the Bike. attached find the google earth placemarker of the location from the Showroom.

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

20091005005947-4ac9a773cbc606.84848953.kmz