Where's Your Favourite Coffee Shop?

Scrubber

I am probably the only farang who likes this stuff but I really like Thai coffee, especially the kafae boran this old guy makes at vegetable market at meechok plaza. I also like Coffee Home shop in sansai, near Maejo University.

Come on... After they load up the several hour old coffee with powders and canned sweeteners, it's not really coffee anymore. Most Thais won't drink the stuff.

Quite right, it isn't coffee, but it's definitely something. A lot of Thais do drink the stuff, and not a few farangs, I've seen. I wouldn't advise drinking it regularly, cause it's gotta put a hole in your stomach, or something. But very occasionally, like a plate of vindaloo, it hits the spot for me.

I think the Thais drink it iced because they love all those sweet drinks. I haven't noticed them drinking it hot though.

That's true. There are literally hundreds of empty coffee shops in the city and surrounding areas. The coffee is about the same from one to the other. Just pick the one that has the right ambiance for you.

Tesco food court upstairs Hang Dong. Small coffee bar with excellent local, brewed coffee. We buy our coffee there in packs for use in our machine at home.

Comfortable arm chairs , free wi fi and friendly staff .Who needs Starbucks when all this costs is 25 baht a cup ,jing jing !!!!!!!!!!!!

That's true. There are literally hundreds of empty coffee shops in the city and surrounding areas. The coffee is about the same from one to the other. Just pick the one that has the right ambiance for you.

Tesco food court upstairs Hang Dong. Small coffee bar with excellent local, brewed coffee. We buy our coffee there in packs for use in our machine at home.

Comfortable arm chairs , free wi fi and friendly staff .Who needs Starbucks when all this costs is 25 baht a cup ,jing jing !!!!!!!!!!!!

25 baht a cup seems expensive for home espresso

a small bag of Bon Cafe/ and other brands i cant think of coffee blend costs roughly 170 baht and usually gives me just under a months worth @ a cup a day, so about 5-6 baht per cup. :)

A well hidden gem is Bakerista on Santisuk. Small coffee shop and bakery; very pleasant with nice garden and sweet staff. Apparently they will start doing Farang food soon too, though the customers are mainly more affluent Thais.

Located roughly behind the Administrative court on the Super Highway, left after Grand View Hotel, first right then follow the road round. It's on the left after the next soi (After the god botherer's place and before the short time hotel :) ) kadlanna.com/bakerista

Absolutely - Bakerista is one of the best, but one wee trick - make sure the demure yet competent young man is behind the coffee bar - he's the brew-master. Anyone subbing for him and the coffee is just tammadan, and not really worth the price. Went there today, and they had just started their new Western Food. I'm sure it's good, but pricey. Internet isn't good, but the garden is very soothing.

Another place, run by the guy who used to be the top barrista at Bakerista, is called "Impresso". One block east of Nimman, middle-ish (soi 8,9?), next door to a new Tapas bar, down from some horribly named Japanese placed called "Sumo". A little bit more expensive, but his coffees are works of art. I've seen him holding little lectures for his friends - going on and on about how to roast beans, brew, etc. He has friends send him bags of beans from other countries, just so he can improve his coffee knowledge. He's the smart looking chap with glasses. One good thing about Impresso is that is stays open a bit late (whereas Bakerista closes around 6pm I believe). The bad thing about Impresso is it's more like a bar, less like a cafe. So, not so comfy for sitting around with a book or laptop, but sometimes there's a gaggle of people hanging out, if that's what you're after.

The other awesome place is Pan Yan Yai, down one street, opposite side of Impresso (just past a farang style bicycle shop). It has a waterfall wall on it's street-facing wooden porch. It's run by two very industrious ladies (a couple), and can get rather busy. Excellent internet speeds too. Very clean, spacious, and a good atmosphere.

By the way, I totally disagree with some people's assessment of Thai coffee prowess. You can get excellent coffee at all kinds of places, with smiling professional service even. It beats a majority of cafes I spent time in in New York or in Japan, and you just laugh at the prices ($1.50 vs. $5, $6). You just have to remember to always tell them "mai waan" if it's an iced coffee and you'll be O.K.

One other tidbit - Cafe Nero (Niro?) on Niman has a really wholesome cafe latte (hot), served with essentially animal crackers and a small shot glass of tea. It's expensive, but you're paying for the hi-so atmosphere, trendy couches, AC, etc. Still, if you're looking for a change, or need to sit around for hours, it's comfortable.

Oops. Regarding my prior post - it's Pai Yan Yai - which I'm told means "etc." in Thai.

Another little secret place is in Panthip Plaza, right off the food court on the top floor. It's called "Coffee 4 You". No view, no internet (?), but they serve really nice hot coffee at a good price, and always give you tea and water with each order. It's a nice little hideaway.

Absolutely - Bakerista is one of the best, but one wee trick - make sure the demure yet competent young man is behind the coffee bar - he's the brew-master. Anyone subbing for him and the coffee is just tammadan, and not really worth the price. Went there today, and they had just started their new Western Food. I'm sure it's good, but pricey. Internet isn't good, but the garden is very soothing.

Another place, run by the guy who used to be the top barrista at Bakerista, is called "Impresso". One block east of Nimman, middle-ish (soi 8,9?), next door to a new Tapas bar, down from some horribly named Japanese placed called "Sumo". A little bit more expensive, but his coffees are works of art. I've seen him holding little lectures for his friends - going on and on about how to roast beans, brew, etc. He has friends send him bags of beans from other countries, just so he can improve his coffee knowledge. He's the smart looking chap with glasses. One good thing about Impresso is that is stays open a bit late (whereas Bakerista closes around 6pm I believe). The bad thing about Impresso is it's more like a bar, less like a cafe. So, not so comfy for sitting around with a book or laptop, but sometimes there's a gaggle of people hanging out, if that's what you're after.

The other awesome place is Pan Yan Yai, down one street, opposite side of Impresso (just past a farang style bicycle shop). It has a waterfall wall on it's street-facing wooden porch. It's run by two very industrious ladies (a couple), and can get rather busy. Excellent internet speeds too. Very clean, spacious, and a good atmosphere.

By the way, I totally disagree with some people's assessment of Thai coffee prowess. You can get excellent coffee at all kinds of places, with smiling professional service even. It beats a majority of cafes I spent time in in New York or in Japan, and you just laugh at the prices ($1.50 vs. $5, $6). You just have to remember to always tell them "mai waan" if it's an iced coffee and you'll be O.K.

One other tidbit - Cafe Nero (Niro?) on Niman has a really wholesome cafe latte (hot), served with essentially animal crackers and a small shot glass of tea. It's expensive, but you're paying for the hi-so atmosphere, trendy couches, AC, etc. Still, if you're looking for a change, or need to sit around for hours, it's comfortable.

Thanks for the list of places to try out.

"The Coffee Bus" at MeeChok Plaza (off the Ruomchok intersection) also serve their coffee with a hot chinese tea, glass of water and sweet 'N salty crackers. I like their hot lattes. Also, they serve a nice hot lemon tea for these sniffly winter mornings.

25 baht a cup seems expensive for home espresso

a small bag of Bon Cafe/ and other brands i cant think of coffee blend costs roughly 170 baht and usually gives me just under a months worth @ a cup a day, so about 5-6 baht per cup. :)

Right. And then there's a 30K-70K espresso machine that needs maintenance, rent, salary, etc, etc. 25-30 baht is pretty reasonably for espresso. But yes, it IS relatively expensive given that 25-30 baht can also be 'lunch'.

Impresso does a great coffee. Also OCTOBER where the barrista is a coffee obsessive. Nice little coffee shop but no garden, sorry. From Suthep road take the right on Nimman and then the first left at the light. It is about half way up the street. Quite pleasant. And what about the coffee van parked outside of Bangkok Bank on Suthep Road. Excellent value.

A well hidden gem is Bakerista on Santisuk. Small coffee shop and bakery; very pleasant with nice garden and sweet staff. Apparently they will start doing Farang food soon too, though the customers are mainly more affluent Thais.

Located roughly behind the Administrative court on the Super Highway, left after Grand View Hotel, first right then follow the road round. It's on the left after the next soi (After the god botherer's place and before the short time hotel :) ) kadlanna.com/bakerista

Totally agree, & another good place is Doi Tung opposite the Amari Rincome on Nimmanhaemin. My European friends love the coffee & the atmosphere & if a Swiss compares it favourably to Movenpick it can't be bad can it!! :D I also buy ground coffe at Doi Tung & use it at home with one of their excellent filter coffee makers.

Totally agree, & another good place is Doi Tung opposite the Amari Rincome on Nimmanhaemin. My European friends love the coffee & the atmosphere & if a Swiss compares it favourably to Movenpick it can't be bad can it!! :D I also buy ground coffe at Doi Tung & use it at home with one of their excellent filter coffee makers.

I agree my votes go for Doi Tung as well.

It would depend on if you go to the coffee shop for the atmosphere, the coffee or both. I think places like Starbucks and Wawee are way over priced and commercialized to the max. I don't visit them at all.

There are nicer places to go where you aren't bombarded with additional advertising to buy additional overpriced items.

Why does coffee have to be so expensive in these shops. Coffee is grown in the hills around Chiang Mai. I can buy 1000 grams of green coffee beans in Chiang Mai city for 150 baht and roast them at home for free. I prefer my coffee to Starbucks any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

Most of the poor farmers that grow coffee in the mountains would be quite well off if organizations like Wawee and Starbucks shared more of their profits with the farmers.

CSR doesn't exist in the coffee industry in Chiang Mai as much as greed does.......but perhaps that is everywhere ie... the global economic crisis of this past year.