Non-imm Type O

My wife and I are both Americans and are living in Thailand on retiree visas. Our son has about a year and a half of college remaining and can do it online through a US university. We would like to have him join us here in Thailand and finish his degree.

He is currently in the US and could join us in late January or early February, if he can obtain the right visa. I assume applying in the US for the type O one year non-imm visa would be most beneficial to him.

Can anyone shed any information on the best way and place to apply, which visa would be best, and what documentation may be needed?

smotherb

Perhaps a better option, if located in an area with language school, would be to enroll in Thai course and obtain a non immigrant ED visa for that. He would then not have to leave country and be learning the language. He would still have plenty of time for internet course study.

Perhaps a better option, if located in an area with language school, would be to enroll in Thai course and obtain a non immigrant ED visa for that. He would then not have to leave country and be learning the language. He would still have plenty of time for internet course study.

Thank you Lopburi3, that is a good idea. There are Thai language schools here in Songkla. How long a stay is associated with the non-imm ED, what is the cost, is there additional documentation other than the Thai school, and is there a better place than the Thai embassy in DC to apply?

He would have to register first with a language school and then with the paperwork he can apply fro an ED-visa. Normaly you can stay on an ED-visa for 3 tot 5 years, and afetr that you can change your study.

The requirement is to study at least 4 hours a week, the cost are around 30,000 baht for the study. Click on one of the banners from language schools above the page, their site should give you some general information.

He would have to register first with a language school and then with the paperwork he can apply fro an ED-visa. Normaly you can stay on an ED-visa for 3 tot 5 years, and afetr that you can change your study.

The requirement is to study at least 4 hours a week, the cost are around 30,000 baht for the study. Click on one of the banners from language schools above the page, their site should give you some general information.

Thank you Mario2008, I appreciate your response. I will definitely check it out.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or visa options?

Does anyone know if there is a more tolerant Thai consulate for visas in the US. I understand the Thai embassy in DC is a stickler for details--similarly, in the UK, I understand Hull is a better consulate for getting visas than using London's thai embassy.

There are some honorary Consulates that would likely be better than Washington. Have him check around or you can do with email advising he will be visiting you and you are here on retirement extensions of stay - copy of your stamp/passport might get him a multi entry non immigrant O visa but there really is no Hull anywhere but Hull.

There are some honorary Consulates that would likely be better than Washington. Have him check around or you can do with email advising he will be visiting you and you are here on retirement extensions of stay - copy of your stamp/passport might get him a multi entry non immigrant O visa but there really is no Hull anywhere but Hull.

Thanks again, Lopburi3. I have already faxed our son copies of our visas and a financial support document translated into Thai.

I have also heard from Walen University in Bangkok, they have an online Thai course which offers the ED visa, so our Southern Thailand locale presents no problem.

Do you, or anyone else know anything about Walen? Walen is advertised on the Thaivisas website.

• 2 months later...

Thank you Lopburi3, that is a good idea. There are Thai language schools here in Songkla. How long a stay is associated with the non-imm ED, what is the cost, is there additional documentation other than the Thai school, and is there a better place than the Thai embassy in DC to apply?

I am on a one year Ed. Visa but it looks like I have to leave the country every 90 days according to the date written in my passport stamp at the airport.

On multiple entry Non-Immigrant ED visa you will only receive 90 day permission to stay on entry, and then have to exit/re-enter the country every 90 days for new 90 day permission to stay stamp. But you should be able to obtain extension of stay at Thai immigration which would avoid the need for border runs. If studying at language school that would be 90 days in each period with supporting papers from the school; if studying at government approved school you should be able to obtain 12 month extension of stay.

On multiple entry Non-Immigrant ED visa you will only receive 90 day permission to stay on entry, and then have to exit/re-enter the country every 90 days for new 90 day permission to stay stamp. But you should be able to obtain extension of stay at Thai immigration which would avoid the need for border runs. If studying at language school that would be 90 days in each period with supporting papers from the school; if studying at government approved school you should be able to obtain 12 month extension of stay.

Excellent reply... I arrived January 21 to start school Feb. 1 for 100 classroom hours. Private school. The school sent their letter for a six month visa. When I took it to the consulate in Toronto, the single man that runs the Thai Consulate suggest that I should have a one year visa, knowing that I wanted to spend as much time here and get a retirement visa in the future. So I have 9 hours in the school 3 days a week, it was their suggestion, they thought 5 days or 15 hours a week would be to much to learn well. So February gives me 36 class hours, March another 36 for 72 then 2 weeks in April will give me 100 hours taking me to April 14. The Immigration stamp has April 20 hand written on it.

As you suggested I could start the second level Thai Language course and the school would possibly write the letter so that I would not have to leave by April 20. Good point. I may like a break anyway and do the border run and take some time out of Bangkok and then decide if I would wish to continue at the school, or let the visa go its course till January 11, 2011 doing a border run ever 90 days and then re apply for another education visa language course for 6 months or one year. I hope that others here on the forum will gain from our communication, and thank you for your excellent reply.

Edited by Colabamumbai