Great easy Hummus recipe if anyone interested (recipe below video link)

Living in the Petchabun boonies I am surprised that our local Big C has stopped selling Vintage cheddar cheese and ALL margarine but has now decided to sell hummus instead at a price that guarantees nobody will buy it. Even when it got stuck with a yellow label no takers.

I like hummus but not at any price.

21 hours ago, ezzra said:

There are a dozens of ways of making humus and this is absolutely NOT one of them...

Well I have just tried it (left out the peanut butter as I didn't  have any - might be worth trying a splash of tahini next time - I noticed Tops had it in stock.). 

Looked like humus,

tasted like humus,

Smelt like humus, 

you know what I reckon it is humus.

Jolly nice spread on fresh french bread (pain rustique) for breakfast.

However, bearing in mind your strictures I shall print out the recipe, and put it in my recipe file under the heading:

"Ezzra says it is not humus".

14 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Would you care to offer an alternative instead if just dissing what appears to be a reasonable recipe?

I just looked at a ton of Hummus recipes including Lebanese and they all seem to have the same basic ingredients....Chick peas, olive oil, lemon and garlic. Dunno what this guys on about? The peanut butter sounds daggy but it is a substitute for Tahini. I assumed sourcing Tahini would probably make the whole thing uneconomical. And you don't taste the peanut butter in that sense at all. been a few years since I had hummus so no real point of reference but it tasted pretty good to me. Plenty of other stuff you could add to it to I reckon. I really liked the parsley in it. Maybe some Nigella seeds, black sesame. Anyway, sure tasted like Hummus to me ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I just looked at a ton of Hummus recipes including Lebanese and they all seem to have the same basic ingredients....Chick peas, olive oil, lemon and garlic. Dunno what this guys on about? The peanut butter sounds daggy but it is a substitute for Tahini. I assumed sourcing Tahini would probably make the whole thing uneconomical. And you don't taste the peanut butter in that sense at all. been a few years since I had hummus so no real point of reference but it tasted pretty good to me. Plenty of other stuff you could add to it to I reckon. I really liked the parsley in it. Maybe some Nigella seeds, black sesame. Anyway, sure tasted like Hummus to me ????

I make Tahini with toasted ground Sesame seeds. Widely available.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Thanks. I agree. Although considered a seed rather than a nut, sesame does have most of the characteristics of nuts. Those with nut allergies must avoid them. In the absence of Tahini I would add a little peanut butter and also a tad of sesame oil, widely available due to its use in Chinese cooking. If feeling adventurous one could blend some sesame seeds with sesame oil to create one's own form of Tahini.

4 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Unfortunately, it is not a reasonable recipe, well certainly not for Hummus ....... no Tahini, no Hummus 

As you can see from above, and countless sources on the internet, peanut butter is a perfectly adequate substitute for Tahini. 

Anyway, like I said to the other guy, care to post your recipe or are you just going to criticise?

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Thanks. I agree. Although considered a seed rather than a nut, sesame does have most of the characteristics of nuts. Those with nut allergies must avoid them. In the absence of Tahini I would add a little peanut butter and also a tad of sesame oil, widely available due to its use in Chinese cooking. If feeling adventurous one could blend some sesame seeds with sesame oil to create one's own form of Tahini.

As you can see from above, and countless sources on the internet, peanut butter is a perfectly adequate substitute for Tahini. 

Anyway, like I said to the other guy, care to post your recipe or are you just going to criticise?

Hard to find a polite way of saying this, so, I will just have to say that it is nonsense to suggest that peanut butter is a perfectly adequate substitute for Tahini. There is no substitute for Tahini when making Hummus; how can a product made primarily from peanuts be a substitute for a product made from sesame seeds ??

To make authentic Hummus you need to use these ingredients:

Chickpeas

Garlic

Tahini

Fresh lemon juice

Kosher / Maldon salt

Extra virgin olive oil (don’t economise on this)

Flat leaf parsley for garnish (optional)

Paprika for garnish (optional)

Measurements depend on the thickness you wish to achieve, but as a rough beginners guide, 3 teacups of chickpeas, ½ cup Tahini, 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, juice from 1 lemon ….. enough olive oil to get the required viscosity and salt to taste.

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Hard to find a polite way of saying this, so, I will just have to say that it is nonsense to suggest that peanut butter is a perfectly adequate substitute for Tahini. There is no substitute for Tahini when making Hummus; how can a product made primarily from peanuts be a substitute for a product made from sesame seeds ??

To make authentic Hummus you need to use these ingredients:

Chickpeas

Garlic

Tahini

Fresh lemon juice

Kosher / Maldon salt

Extra virgin olive oil (don’t economise on this)

Flat leaf parsley for garnish (optional)

Paprika for garnish (optional)

Measurements depend on the thickness you wish to achieve, but as a rough beginners guide, 3 teacups of chickpeas, ½ cup Tahini, 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, juice from 1 lemon ….. enough olive oil to get the required viscosity and salt to taste.

Your palate is clearly lacking. Your culinary knowledge also.

Unless, of course, a myriad of top chefs, including those with Michelin stars, are wrong. Move on.????????????????

21 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Your palate is clearly lacking. Your culinary knowledge also.

Unless, of course, a myriad of top chefs, including those with Michelin stars, are wrong. Move on.????????????????

Rather than just throwing personal insults and Michelin stars at me, why don’t you just tell me what is either missing, or superfluous, to the ingredients I listed for making authentic Hummus; and try to be more polite please.

19 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Rather than just throwing personal insults and Michelin stars at me, why don’t you just tell me what is either missing, or superfluous, to the ingredients I listed for making authentic Hummus; and try to be more polite please.

I fail to see any personal insults. Thanks. I was merely pointing out some flaws in your thinking. Thanks.

Move on????????????????Please. Thanks. 

15 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I fail to see any personal insults. Thanks. I was merely pointing out some flaws in your thinking. Thanks.

Move on????????????????Please. Thanks. 

So, I post a recipe for traditional Lebanese Hummus, and you respond with a cheap-shot comment, saying to me “Your palate is clearly lacking. Your culinary knowledge also”

You, of course, fail to say what is wrong with the recipe, or post your own; which is staggeringly ironic considering in an earlier comment you said to me “Anyway, like I said to the other guy, care to post your recipe or are you just going to criticise?”   ¯\_()_/¯

This recipe was given to me by a Lebanese guy that was a customer of my business in a London fruit & Veg market 30 years ago. He said his family had been making it to this recipe for many generations, so let’s hear what you think is wrong with it.

Oh, and simply saying “move on” because you don’t have any answers is transparent and decidedly uncool

• Like 1

Just bye the bye, and I can speak from first hand knowledge as I made it there is not even a subtle taste of peanut / peanut butter in the finished product. it is very good. I mean all Tahini is sesame seeds blitzed with oil until it makes a paste. As sesame seeds are ridiculously cheap will certainly give it a go next time but nothing wrong with a little peanut butter. It just isn't how you obviously imagine it to be,  

33 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Just bye the bye, and I can speak from first hand knowledge as I made it there is not even a subtle taste of peanut / peanut butter in the finished product. it is very good. I mean all Tahini is sesame seeds blitzed with oil until it makes a paste. As sesame seeds are ridiculously cheap will certainly give it a go next time but nothing wrong with a little peanut butter. It just isn't how you obviously imagine it to be,  

Kenny, you have obviously made this recipe and I am sure it is very tasty; I have not been trying to dispute that it might be great, just that it is not really hummus.

Hummus has to be made with Tahini, and it certainly does not need any tabasco.

I honestly don’t think making tahini is a good idea either; it really is not easy to do well.

I have bought a couple of different brands of tahini in Thailand from supermarkets, and they were very disappointing. I eventually found an excellent one, made by a company called “Good Karma” They make it fresh in small batches, and sell it in glass jars of 340 grams at 250 Baht.

It is well worth the price and a dollop is also great in a bowl of yogurt for breakfast (goats milk if you can get it)

Anyhow, in case you're interested I’m attaching a link to their website … just put tahini into their search bar

Cheers

https://healthfoodthailand.com/

10 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

So, I post a recipe for traditional Lebanese Hummus, and you respond with a cheap-shot comment, saying to me “Your palate is clearly lacking. Your culinary knowledge also”

I was responding to your comment about peanut butter. 

Please and thank you.

Edited by youreavinalaff

9 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I was responding to your comment about peanut butter. 

Please and thank you.

We both know that to be palpably untrue; you are simply backtracking because you cannot substantiate the insults you threw at me.

And, we are also still waiting to see your Hummus recipe ¯\_()_/¯

• Like 1