What Is It That Some Folk Find So Offensive?

GuestHouse

Either way, I can accept anyone putting me in the "Realistically Cynical Bin" but I'm certainly not wholly negative about Thais or Thailand ....... I can't even be pushed that way by the opinion of others sitting typing into a keyboard - Which is part of my point...... Someone else's negativity about Thailand does not impact my own experience of the place of the people..... I can't get upset about it.

And that is why I am curious that some others do get so very very upset about it.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so some other people..... curiouser and curiouser (I always preferred Lewis Carol to C.S. Lewis)

you are not alone: many also prefer being entertained by fiction to reclaiming their civil rights

Edited by manarak

Some people will defend the reputation of where they live, regardless of whether it's deserved or not, I even met someone recently who swore that Ohio was the most beautiful place to live and wouldn't hear a bad word spoken about it!

What's wrong with Ohio? Some of my best friends are from there. Why, I oughta come over there and whoop some.....

:)

Thanks!

:D

It was for the guy cut in two, and in another thread I discussed how an English friend of mine was looked after by his Thai (ex bargirl) wife through a long fight with cancer - how devastated she was at his death and how I caught the local Rescue Foundation emptying the drawers of his bedroom when they came to "Help Out"

A man helped through his last days by a woman at the bottom of Thai society while his family were robbed by those who profess to do good deeds during their grief.

I don't judge Thais (no matter what their background_ by the actions of 'Rescue Foundations" but I have seen Thai 'Rescue Foundations' at work and judge them by their actions.......

Next!

Someone else's negativity about Thailand does not impact my own experience of the place of the people..... I can't get upset about it.

And that is why I am curious that some others do get so very very upset about it.

In my case, it is because I feel that negativity breeds more negativity. Perhaps I am not influenced by others opinions, but many people are and a bad reputation - warranted or not - can damage a tourist destination like Thailand very easily and hurt a lot of people and cost a lot of jobs.

In a different vein, if some lowlife insults my mother or my wife, I understand that they don’t know what they are talking about and should just be ignored, but I also understand someone who chooses not to do so. I'm surprised that Guesthouse seems to feel otherwise.

Don't be surprised - I believe tat with very very few exceptions denying other people an opinion and attacking them with personal insults for holding opinions is a very very dangerous thing.

High ideals about protecting reputations and jobs sounds good, but to me smacks of self justification - It is not in the interest of would be visitors or would be investors to be denied as wide a spectrum of views about Thailand as they wish to read/listen to.

To deny access to wide and variant views is a strange argument to make when others on the same side of that fence argue against life in the west and others dictating what is in their best interest.

"Attacking Others for their views in the interest of Thailand and Thai People"'....... Utter Hogwash!

Thailand is no different that any other country, there are good and bad in all countries, if you place yourself in high crime areas, bar, bar girl scene drink a lot every day. you make yourself a target for criminals.

I must admit that in my humble opinion Thailand crimes at its worse are less violent them U.S. crimes.

I have never had any problems with my stay in central Thailand, very nice friendly people, the best neighbors I have ever had!

Cheers:

Don't be surprised - I believe tat with very very few exceptions denying other people an opinion and attacking them with personal insults for holding opinions is a very very dangerous thing.

High ideals about protecting reputations and jobs sounds good, but to me smacks of self justification - It is not in the interest of would be visitors or would be investors to be denied as wide a spectrum of views about Thailand as they wish to read/listen to.

To deny access to wide and variant views is a strange argument to make when others on the same side of that fence argue against life in the west and others dictating what is in their best interest.

"Attacking Others for their views in the interest of Thailand and Thai People"'....... Utter Hogwash!

So, you "can't get upset about someone else's negativity about Thailand",and you can't understand why anyone else would, but you fly off the handle if someone dares to disagree with them.

"Curious" indeed! :)

For my fellow Englishmen, it`s part of our culture to have a moan once in a while. Think it`s good for lowering the blood pressure and a releasing of tension. Most of it is just a load of hot air anyway.

The Ozzies have good reason to call us whinging poms.

But on the other hand, I have no doubts that Thais read these forums and maybe these comments don't show us Farangs in a good light. Being as we are only guests in this country and can be swept away with a stroke of the pen, I think the less we criticise our host country and the natives in public, the better.

Edited by BigWheelMan

Lots of good and lots of bad in Thailand. I came back to Canada and only found BAD. Phony people with PC faces who are often worse than anything I saw in ten years in Thailand. Mega rules, mega fines for stupid things like jaywalking, mega prices and costs. You expect some shenanigans in Thailand, but not here. Complain softly -- you guys have the good life! :)

Edited by BBQueen

I mean there is ZILCH impact if Joe Blogs has a bad Thailand experience and posts about it on TV..... My own day is completely unaffected by Joe's views/comments.

Then may I ask why you started this topic.Seems to me that it affects you a lot

Put it down to simple curiosity - some guy moaning about getting ripped off doesn't bother me in the least, while some other expat reads the complaint and sets off on a keyboard rant of the kind I might reserve for someone robbing my bank account.

I heard somebody's moaning :D

Then somebody's moaning about the moaning :D

Then somebody's moaning about the moaning about the moaning :)

Mind folks i'm not moaning for that,on the contrary,i'm for the free moaning.A good moan will keep you healthy!

I am too shy to moan here on this board,but i am moaning everyday with my girl-friend.She doesn't understand exactly why i keep on moaning,but she accepts it more or less,and i respect her for that.

many also prefer being entertained by fiction to reclaiming their civil rights

Civil rights come with civil responsibility..... something more than a few have come to Thailand to escape......... But we digress.

You could have had a point if you had demonstrated that MOST expats came to Thailand to flee their responsibilities, which isn't true.

There is no honor in "being responsible" if one hasn't the liberty to behave differently.

Lots of good and lots of bad in Thailand. I came back to Canada and only found BAD. Phony people with PC faces who are often worse than anything I saw in ten years in Thailand. Mega rules, mega fines for stupid things like jaywalking, mega prices and costs. You expect some shenanigans in Thailand, but not here. Complain softly -- you guys have the good life! :)

Where abouts in Canada are you BBQ?

The the OP:

Well, the first thing that occurs to me upon reading your original post is who gives a shit about your post/opinion. :)

I can't speak for everyone, I can only speak for myself. I tire quickly of the "constant complainers". The occasional complaint...understandable, reasonable. But there are so many in TV who do virtually nothing but moan and groan. I'm not saying "love it or leave it", but I do think that if they hate it so much, why would they stay? Do they enjoy miserable? I've never enjoyed being around "constant complainers".

For those of us who do respond to the constant complainers, I think we just want to provide a little balance.

What's wrong with Ohio? Some of my best friends are from there. Why, I oughta come over there and whoop some..... Nah.

Anyway. Obviously people have a lot invested in the decisions they make. The decision to become an expatriate is huge. People will look to rationalize and justify whenever possible, particularly amongst the newly relocated. It is only natural.

Actually, there are some wonderful places to live in Ohio.

But, my main point here is to agree with your comment that, "The decision to become an expatriate is huge." I've always been surprised at the number of people on TV who moved here so nonchalantly. I gave up a home, friends, pets, a certain kind of security, and much more to become an expat here. One of the biggest decisions of my life.

It doesn't bother me much when people get all high and mighty about Thailand or when a foreigner goes off on a scathing anti-Thai rant.

The scathing anti-Thai rants bother me from the standpoint that those same posters who are so anti-Thai...and insulting about it...then criticize the Thais for being xenophobic.

There are a large number of social undesirables - losers - who come to Thailand on vacation and mistake Thai good humor and manners for the acceptance that they have never found at home.

When they decide to come back to stay and have lived here for a while, they eventually start to realize that Thais do not appreciate them anymore than anyone else ever has - they are simply kind to strangers - and they develop a real hatred for this country. They feel that they have been betrayed somehow.

It finally dawns on them that maybe something is wrong with them rather than the rest of society and that is certainly not something that they want to acknowledge.

I must admit that I hate listening to these wanke_rs whinge about how all their problems are someone else's fault and that somehow Thailand is to blame. :)

Spot on.

Well Guesthouse.....I've read through the couple of threads on the topic you raise......there is some attitude out there alright.....so what is the common denominator.......what makes some peope comfortable with their lot, some happy to jog along, and some to complain, others to complain bitterly, some to mention a few downers but be aware of the upside too.

Well what gives you social standing,guarantees a reasonable amount of acceptance, assists in smoothing over the cracks, makes your life comfortable, and therefore the garden of Thailand rosy............

Money my friend, money is the key, your income/purchasing power dictate your standard of living, not just in Thailand but anywhere in the world.

Of course I will accept there are exceptions.........but money buys the 'rose tinted glasses' that people hate.......otherwise known as a comfortable lifestyle.......so yes being intollerant of the moaners would probably go along with that easy comfortable lifestyle........

Best I could come up with..... :)

Nowhere is perfect. It's about what works for you.

I think that a lot of the ex pats that can't accept criticism are the ones that arrived recently, inspired by "The Beach". With a copy of the dvd always close at hand, they become all spiritual, only ever eat Thai food ( in their short stay its become a sin to eat a burger) and grow to loathe everything "farang". BTW, wearing a sarong is obligatary. Long may they stay, they are hilarious. :)

someone please tell me

what is it that this thread is trying to establish?

Im a little slow......and its early

This thread is trying to establish exactly what I ask when I opened it - What is it that some folk [some expats] find so very offensive when other expats express a negative opinion or report a negative experience of Thailand?

----

We've had one valiant effort by UG, to justify his ire at negative posts on the basis of protecting Thailand's Tourist and Investment sectors by being the arbiter of what people who might visit/invest should be allowed to read (only the good news please).... but that doesn't wash - It clearly is not in the interest of would be visitors/investors to only hear the good news.

And UG also gave us the more usual retort of accusing anyone who expresses a negative opinion about Thailand being a 'Social Undesirable, Looser, Misfit and/or Wan_ker' - While this name calling gets the thumbs up from some, (Name calling where a reasoned argument cannot be found).

----

But you do have a point MIG16, this thread has been open for hours, the exponents of ranting against anyone expressing a negative view or reporting a negative experience do seem to be floundering - Here they have the chance to explain what gets them so wound up that they resort to keyboard vitriol and yet they seem unable to do so.

We've had comments from some who are not in the 'Rant against negative posts' camp regarding people perhaps not being entirely happy with their own life choices hence ranting against anyone who reminds them things are not as some pretend - maybe there's something in that?!

But let's see if we can get an explanation that holds water out of those who rant so much against negative views before we start asking others why they think these people react with such vitriol.