Has The Baht Bus Fares Gone Up?

craigrs

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go to Jomtien from Pattaya (from the baht bus queue at the school on Pattaya Tai/2nd Road) then the fare is 10 baht because you have to wait until the baht bus is sardine-full.

But coming back from Jomtien, where you just flag a baht bus down on the Jomtien Beach Road (no waiting) the fare to Pattaya is 20 baht.

If the baht bus gets really full on the way back to Pattaya and it is going dark, then you can chance your luck at 10 baht, because the driver isn't sure where you boarded the baht bus.

But conning baht bus drivers can be hazardous. A small percentage are clinical psychopaths and will get out of their cab and beat you to death with a wooden club.

I've allways found that some drivers try to get 20bt and some still charge 10bt.

But they only try it on with the foreigners all the Thais still pay 10bt without question.

I think these drivers try to intimidate some people and see if they can get away with it.

I never usually give in if i feel they're being unfair, but i always pay 20bt from Jomtien to anywhere past Tops supermarket, otherwise it's 10bt.

How did we get 3 posts on Baht Bus fares without any input from the "King of the Baht Bus" JingThing

Thats what I was thinking.

JT, the bahtbus expert on "how to catch a baht bus, get pick pocketed, raped, bashed and proposed to, all before you get to Pattaya central." :)

Edited by neverdie

Nothing has changed!!!

If coming from inner Jomtien you can go as far as Pattaya Klang for 10 baht.

1 in 50 or 100 drivers will yell for 20 for this. WALK AWAY! They know they are wrong.

If going as far as Big C, a much great percentage will demand 20 baht. I would estimate perhaps 30 to 50 percent. Here you get into subjective factors such as is the bus empty and is the driver a madman.

If coming from far out Jomtien, Pattaya Tai will be safe for 10 baht. If the drivers remember where you got on, a greater percentage may demand 20 baht closer to Pattaya Klang, and an even greater percentage will demand 20 to Big C, etc.

These are general guidelines. There are subjective factors. But by no means has any official fare change occurred. In high season they are more likely to assume you are ignorant tourist and go for it. Resist. They are actually breaking the law by asking for more than 10 baht.

Nothing has changed!!!

Resist. They are actually breaking the law by asking for more than 10 baht.

I have to disagree here.

The Baht bus fare has risen for farang and Thai people from 5 baht minimum to 10 baht minimum per trip.

If you study the new fare chart (placed in some baht buses) then the minimum fare is shown as 8 baht rising upwards depending on the length of the trip.

For example Jomtien Chayapreuk-Pattaya Klang is actually listed at 17 baht.

When I travel from Jomtien-Pattaya Klang, I do not have a problem with paying 20 baht.

I have never seen such a chart. If it supports the higher fares, why aren't they on all buses. I don't believe this. There has been no public press release from the baht bus collective about this that I am aware of. I used to see the old chart that the drivers didn't like, and of course, those all went away long ago.

Edited by Jingthing

I have never seen such a chart. If it supports the higher fares, why aren't they on all buses. I don't believe this. There has been no public press release from the baht bus collective about this that I am aware of. I used to see the old chart that the drivers didn't like, and of course, those all went away long ago.

Jingthing old chum, we have been through this all before on your post "Baht Bus Confidential" in January 2009:See Link Below for full price list:

Baht Bus Prices

My Post #59 gives full information!

Jingthing old chum, we have been through this all before on your post "Baht Bus Confidential" in January 2009:See Link Below for full price list:

Baht Bus Prices

My Post #59 gives full information!

Interesting.

Such a complicated list is completely ridiculous from the users point of view. I guarantee you 10 baht will fine the vast majority of times from inner Jomtien to Pattaya Klang.

Official minibus fares listed by the Chonburi Transport Office are:

The Charoenrat Pattana-Najomtien Village route:

Charoenrat Pattana-Nipa Lodge Hotel 8 baht

Charoenrat Pattana -Asia Hotel 21 baht

Charoenrat Pattana-Soi Chaiyapruk 29 baht

Nipa Lodge Hotel-Pattaya Market 8 baht

Nipa Lodge Hotel-Asia Hotel 14 baht

Nipa Lodge Hotel-Soi Chaiyapruk 22 baht

The Pattaya Market -Soi Chaiyapruk 15 baht

Asia Hotel-Soi Chaiyapruk 8 baht

The around Pattaya route:

From the beginning of South Pattaya-Banglamung Plaza 8 baht

From the beginning of South Pattaya-Nipa Lodge (North Pattaya) 10 baht

From Banglamung Plaza-Nipa Lodge junction (North Pattaya) 8 baht

From Banglamung Plaza-beginning of South Pattaya 10 baht

From Nipa Lodge junction (North Pattaya)-Banglamung Plaza 8 baht

North Pattaya-Central Pattaya:

North Pattaya-Central Pattaya Road Intersection 8 baht

North Pattaya-Somprasong Plaza 11 baht

North Pattaya-Wat Bunkanjanaram 23 baht

Central Pattaya Road Intersection-Somprasong Plaza 8 baht

Central Pattaya Road Intersection-Central Pattaya T-Intersection 17 baht

Somprasong Plaza-Wat Bunkanjanaram 8 baht

Somprasong Plaza-Central Pattaya T-Intersection 12 baht

Wat Bunkanjanaram-Central Pattaya T-Intersection 8 baht

Edited by Jingthing

Well, technically just crossing Central won't usually trigger the 20 baht demand. Going further often will, such as up to Tropical Berts, Big C, Pattaya North, etc.

Those published odd baht fares are interesting but I haven't seen any evidence they are being followed. It is very impractical. If they are serious about this kind of thing, they need tickets and colored zones like in a civilized city. We aren't nearly there. Stay tuned.

Edited by Jingthing

Official minibus fares listed by the Chonburi Transport Office are:

The Charoenrat Pattana-Najomtien Village route:

Charoenrat Pattana-Nipa Lodge Hotel 8 baht

Charoenrat Pattana -Asia Hotel 21 baht

Charoenrat Pattana-Soi Chaiyapruk 29 baht

Nipa Lodge Hotel-Pattaya Market 8 baht

Nipa Lodge Hotel-Asia Hotel 14 baht

Nipa Lodge Hotel-Soi Chaiyapruk 22 baht

The Pattaya Market -Soi Chaiyapruk 15 baht

Asia Hotel-Soi Chaiyapruk 8 baht

The around Pattaya route:

From the beginning of South Pattaya-Banglamung Plaza 8 baht

From the beginning of South Pattaya-Nipa Lodge (North Pattaya) 10 baht

From Banglamung Plaza-Nipa Lodge junction (North Pattaya) 8 baht

From Banglamung Plaza-beginning of South Pattaya 10 baht

From Nipa Lodge junction (North Pattaya)-Banglamung Plaza 8 baht

North Pattaya-Central Pattaya:

North Pattaya-Central Pattaya Road Intersection 8 baht

North Pattaya-Somprasong Plaza 11 baht

North Pattaya-Wat Bunkanjanaram 23 baht

Central Pattaya Road Intersection-Somprasong Plaza 8 baht

Central Pattaya Road Intersection-Central Pattaya T-Intersection 17 baht

Somprasong Plaza-Wat Bunkanjanaram 8 baht

Somprasong Plaza-Central Pattaya T-Intersection 12 baht

Wat Bunkanjanaram-Central Pattaya T-Intersection 8 baht

Anyone ever gotten the 2 Baht change from the proffered 10 Baht coin?

Nothing has changed!!!

If coming from inner Jomtien you can go as far as Pattaya Klang for 10 baht.

1 in 50 or 100 drivers will yell for 20 for this. WALK AWAY! They know they are wrong.

If going as far as Big C, a much great percentage will demand 20 baht. I would estimate perhaps 30 to 50 percent. Here you get into subjective factors such as is the bus empty and is the driver a madman.

If coming from far out Jomtien, Pattaya Tai will be safe for 10 baht. If the drivers remember where you got on, a greater percentage may demand 20 baht closer to Pattaya Klang, and an even greater percentage will demand 20 to Big C, etc.

These are general guidelines. There are subjective factors. But by no means has any official fare change occurred. In high season they are more likely to assume you are ignorant tourist and go for it. Resist. They are actually breaking the law by asking for more than 10 baht.

This high season I have seen many Russians paying 20 Baht each for trips where they got on in the area of Marine Plaza and get off near Pratamnak or Jomtien Complex. I always think they are mad, or their tour guide has told them this is the rule, or they were scammed on day 1 and they then contine to pay this. The danger is the nutty or new Baht bus drivers may come to expect this from other foreigners, increasing disputes and potential unpleasantness all round.

MY GOD 20 BAHT FROM JOMTIEN TO PATTAYA KLANG , IF YOU KINNEOW FARANGS COMPLAIN ABOUT THAT FARE , YOU GOTTA CHILL , THATS NOT EVEN A SMALL TIGER!!!

Please don't shout clip, we can all hear you already!

MY GOD 20 BAHT FROM JOMTIEN TO PATTAYA KLANG , IF YOU KINNEOW FARANGS COMPLAIN ABOUT THAT FARE , YOU GOTTA CHILL , THATS NOT EVEN A SMALL TIGER!!!

Please don't not shout clip, we can all hear you already!

Yes, unnecessary use of capital letters not to metion poor spelling, morphology, punctuation, grammar and syntax.

Verbose? Who said that? :)

Edited by Jonathanpattaya

Anyone ever gotten the 2 Baht change from the proffered 10 Baht coin?

Nobody!

The problem was a few years ago Thai people paid 5 baht and most farang paid 10 baht per trip. In order to get everyone paying a 10 baht minimum they put the official minimum fare upto 8 baht.

In my eyes this was a fair move considering gasoline prices had risen and farang were regularly being abused for trying to pay 5 baht.

But there are some eagle-eyed baht bus drivers now who specifically look at who they pick up on the Jomtien Beach Road and if they get off after the Pattaya Tai/2nd Road intersection ask for 20 Baht. Fair enough, but I still chance 10 baht until asked.

For example going by baht bus last week from Soi Buckhaw all the way to Banglamung Post Office Soi for just 10 baht, no problem. But I think the baht bus drivers coming from Jomtien to Pattaya are now on the look out for 20 baht from farang.

Did not start this thread to act like cheap skate !! Just would like to pay the rightful fare.. and when i get in these nasty debates with the baht bus driver i like to be right :)

what is the rightful fare from

1, Second police station in Jomtien, to village market, Mikes ect..

2, Past the lines of baht busses at school to second police station on beach road jomtien

Did not start this thread to act like cheap skate !! Just would like to pay the rightful fare.. and when i get in these nasty debates with the baht bus driver i like to be right :)

what is the rightful fare from

1, Second police station in Jomtien, to village market, Mikes ect..

2, Past the lines of baht busses at school to second police station on beach road jomtien

You are not going to like this answer. Sometimes 10 baht. Sometimes 20 baht. If you want to always avoid a conflict, 20 baht. This isn't a black and white culture and those routes are in the gray area. An empty bus increases the chance of a conflict. Also, as you probably know, if the bus is near empty, it is not uncommon for the drivers to stop short of Soi Chayuphreuk and ask where you go? That's the point where you get off or pay 100 baht, as surprise, surprise, you are now in a private taxi!

Edited by Jingthing