Why Is The Farang Expat Community So Politically Correct?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't sweat what you can't change. Just ignore the little people whose lives are so miserable that they have to bicker about everything. Life is too good to worry about the negative crap. I don't like PC either, and my country (Canada) is full of it. So is the BBC in the UK. There are things you can't mention here in Thailand, but once you understand the rules then life moves on okay.

I don't get this post at all.. Surely the expat community in Thailand must be among the most politically INcorrect you could ever hope to find anywhere?

Or is this post taking issue with efforts to sanitize a commercial forum? That's just common business sense and has little to do with political correctness.

And, in case you hadn't noticed, there are some restrictions on free speech in Thailand, but not sure if that was what you were hinting at either.

So in short, is there anyone who can make some sense out of this topic?

The OP was a troll. Plenty of non-PC posts are allowed on TV (strictly speaking). Many more are not, because it hasn't been polite or civil for decades to insult entire religions, races, nationalities, genders, etc. So when the Brits call US citizens "Septics" I call them Shitish. :):D

Yeah I agree with Kwai for a change. A very PinC crowd. Look at the poll on global warming. Most here think its a lie. The fools.

Man made global warming is a con anyone who thinks it is then are fools,the statistics have been manipulated ,for instance on the "hocky stick" graph the green tree ring line was convieniently left out as it showed that in 1961 there was a drastic DECLINE in tempratures ,we are being conned global highs and lows are natural ,nothing to do with man (except the taxes it raises) fools.

The OP was a troll. Plenty of non-PC posts are allowed on TV (strictly speaking). Many more are not, because it hasn't been polite or civil for decades to insult entire religions, races, nationalities, genders, etc. So when the Brits call US citizens "Septics" I call them Shitish. :):D

Come on PB, surely you mean Goddam_n Limeys! :D

The term Political Correctness is probably one of the most mistaken subjects and many people blame PC for all manner of stuff that is stuff all to do with it.

It is also true that it has got a bit out of hand but that is mainly due to overzealous white people trying to curry favour with ethnic minorities. I spent all my school life being taught from a blackboard (Americans I believe call the more correctly chalkboards, they were only ever black at the beginning of term and after a few weeks were a pale grey - but I digress) and the term was never connected with coloured students not by myself nor any of my white friends. None of my coloured friends ever mentioned that they found the term uncomfortable or derogatory.

But that's all a thing of the past and they got called chalkboards but now they are extinct and replaced by......................

....................................WHITEBOARDS.

Huh? :D

Personally I think TV is kept pretty much straight by the mods who do a good job at getting rid of some of the more offensive comments but it is far from being the perfect ideal of PC. Actually an internet forum like this is an opportunity to be perfectly gender, race, religion and sexual orientation neutral as nearly everyone posts under nicknames and there's no rule that you have to come out regarding those issues. The fact that people do declare their sex and nationality is maybe their way of explaining away the basis for some of their views.

I don't get this post at all.. Surely the expat community in Thailand must be among the most politically INcorrect you could ever hope to find anywhere?

Or is this post taking issue with efforts to sanitize a commercial forum? That's just common business sense and has little to do with political correctness.

And, in case you hadn't noticed, there are some restrictions on free speech in Thailand, but not sure if that was what you were hinting at either.

Sorry but you are way out. There is noting rude or derogatory about using the ryming sland term "septics" Where are the moderators. I do take offence the your name calling though that is most certainly rude and offensive.

Advice though plainly obvious to anyone reading would be to look in the mirror

So when the Brits call US citizens "Septics" I call them Shitish. :):D

Sorry but you are way out. There is noting rude or derogatory about using the ryming sland term "septics" Where are the moderators. I do take offence the your name calling though that is most certainly rude and offensive.

You may report me. 'Rhyming slang' is no excuse for "Septic" even if it rhymes. Even if it's ryming sland. There might be a rhyming slang for "Ni**er" but it's still received as an insult by blacks. Speaking of looking in the mirror...

You disappoimnt me PB, "Septic" is only rhyming slang, "Shitish" is a touch nasty.

So when the Brits call US citizens "Septics" I call them Shitish. :):D

You may report me. 'Rhyming slang' is no excuse for "Septic" even if it rhymes. Even if it's ryming sland. There might be a rhyming slang for "Ni**er" but it's still received as an insult by blacks. Speaking of looking in the mirror...

I appreciate where you're coming from but not a valid comparrison to draw. Born in London i am atleast qualified to say, but i don't really want to discuss further, other than to say that there are far worse things to get uptight about than jokingly being referred to as a "septic", for example being catagorised as a "farang"

Anyways, good to talk :D

Edited by carmine

You disappoimnt me PB, "Septic" is only rhyming slang, "Shitish" is a touch nasty.

Correct :D

subject: thailand?

are we discussing PC in thailand ? about expats in thailand? about PC on TV (walking the thin line on forum rules concerning moderation then) ...

names and name calling have nothing to do with PC; and everything to do with childishness.

thais are not PC. on the other hand, they seem to see people as people when dealing with individuals, regardless. my thai husband will often make racist comments about certain nationalities one of which i am (his comments about jews are straight out of shakespeare. his comments about blacks in general are also pretty stereotyped, however his best friend here happens to be a nigerian refugee who is as black as can be). not withstanding his comments about any particular religioun/race/ethnic group, when he sees a person needing a helping hand, he reaches out.

Political corectivism is a learned behavior. it is not natural to humans anymore then it is natural to any other animal group. however, since we have brains that can be taught to think and override our instincts (for the most part), people can be taught to see the 'different' as being OK., and not bad. i too find the states overly sensitive about how people are identified-- sometimes a spade is just a spade . or: a rose by any other name is still a rose. either way, it would seem that behind the guise of PC people are just hiding their true thoughts which is a lie. it may be preferable to actually know what a person really thinks about you in order to deal with him/her.

in addition, a majority of people (possibly including ex pats), when not in their natural surroundings, allow themselves more freedom to express themselves as they want, since they feel 'freed' to act differently then when in their home base , and as friends and relatives expect them to act.

bina

israel

I don't have enough experience on TV to really comment on PC on this forum specifically, but I find that most of the people I have met in Thailand have not necessarily been politically incorrect, but have certainly been more tolerant of other people views, myself included.

Thailand is a melting pot of nationalities from around the world and while they no doubt have their differences, I think that LOS seems to bring together like-minded people. I've certainly seen more people discussing politically incorrect topics than arguing about them. Likewise, I have met more people that have shared or respected my views than have been offended by or disagreed with them.

I wouldn't dare openly discuss my views in the UK for fear of losing my job if I was overheard, over here it seems more acceptable to do so. Maybe that is through lack of fear of repercussions. In case you're wondering, I used to vote BNP when I lived in the UK, it doesn't get much more politically incorrect.

Edited by JayF

So when the Brits call US citizens "Septics" I call them Shitish. :hit-the-fan::P

That brief response contains two separate elements which puzzle me:

1. Is the expression "Yank" considered offensive and, if so, why?

2. If the expression "Nigger" is offensive (which, usually, it obviously is), then why should the expression "Ni**er" be deemed inoffensive?

there are far worse things to get uptight about than jokingly being referred to as a "septic

Then you should not mind being "shitish" since they are pretty close to the same thing. :D

That merely demonstrates that you have no grasp of the esprit of rhyming slang. If you do not understand it, be careful when discussing it, lest your ignorance leaves you looking like a bit of a berk.

there are far worse things to get uptight about than jokingly being referred to as a "septic

Then you should not mind being "shitish" since they are pretty close to the same thing. :)

That merely demonstrates that you have no grasp of the esprit of rhyming slang. If you do not understand it, be careful when discussing it, lest your ignorance leaves you looking like a bit of a berk.

Sorry, to ruffle any feathers or to insult anyone's cultural heritage, but, I would place "rhyming slang" in the same trash can as Ebonics or "jive" for African Americans.

As far as I can tell, they are crude slang dialects that were created by and for ignorant criminals in order to confuse the police.

I much prefer the King's English like they used to speak on the BBC.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Sorry, to ruffle any feathers or to insult anyone's cultural heritage, but, I would place "rhyming slang" in the same trash can as Ebonics or "jive" for African Americans.

Are you sure that you are still allowed to say that sort of thing about the traditions and values of your darker-skinned American brethren? As for us Brits I doubt that any feathers will have been ruffled. More a case of water off a duck's back. We are accustomed to being rebuffed when we attempt to educate the 'Merkins

As far as I can tell, they are crude slang dialects that were created by and for ignorant criminals in order to confuse the police.

That is what is usually claimed but it is a theory which depends upon a very pessimistic assumption concerning the language-learning abilities of the constabulary of the day.

If you have a clear recollection of BBC broadcasting pre-1953, then you have the advantage of me.

Don't sweat what you can't change. Just ignore the little people whose lives are so miserable that they have to bicker about everything. Life is too good to worry about the negative crap. I don't like PC either, and my country (Canada) is full of it. So is the BBC in the UK. There are things you can't mention here in Thailand, but once you understand the rules then life moves on okay.

Being a bit over-emotive , aren't we?

"ignore the little people". "lives are so miserable", "bicker about everything", you seem to be doing your own share of commenting on others.

And remember that some people have valid criticisms and concerns of some aspects of life here. It is not just bickering, though the Thai apologists will always see it that way.

You obviously don't particularly like Canada why not move here full time and maybe you'll see things without such rose coloured spectacles.

Are you sure that you are still allowed to say that sort of thing about the traditions and values of your darker-skinned American brethren? As for us Brits I doubt that any feathers will have been ruffled. More a case of water off a duck's back. We are accustomed to being rebuffed when we attempt to educate the 'MerkinsAs far as I can tell, they are crude slang dialects that were created by and for ignorant criminals in order to confuse the police.

That is what is usually claimed but it is a theory which depends upon a very pessimistic assumption concerning the language-learning abilities of the constabulary of the day.

If you have a clear recollection of BBC broadcasting pre-1953, then you have the advantage of me.

Quote"

Nice one :)

Then you prefer the language that was spoken by probably less than 10% of the English (asa subset of British) populataion. It is more like expecting all americans to speak like someone from Boston. :)

Edited by harrry