Thai Land Owner Living In Paris France

A friend of mine, a farang, is partners in a property with a Thai. Naturally the land paper is in the Thai's name. They now wish to sell part or all of the property. The Thai who has the land paper in his name is living in Paris. He wishes to assign power of attorney to his brother who is living here in Thailand. The Thai embassy in Paris says that can be done but the request must start here in Thailand. The land office here says it must originate in Paris. It is now a stalemate. It sounds to me like the local land office is correct but what is the best correct way to proceed?

I do not see the need for involving the Thai Embassy in Paris in the first place. Ensure the power of attorney is in compliance with Thai law, have it signed and witnessed then for additional assurance have it legalised. Properly signed document copies of the land owners identity card will also be required.

I do not see the need for involving the Thai Embassy in Paris in the first place. Ensure the power of attorney is in compliance with Thai law, have it signed and witnessed then for additional assurance have it legalised. Properly signed document copies of the land owners identity card will also be required.

There is no power of attorney nor do they even have a form. Who furnishes the form? Who furnishes the information?

There is no power of attorney nor do they even have a form. Who furnishes the form? Who furnishes the information?

I suggest a Thai lawyer. I have never seen a standard form for a power of attorney as it should be worded for the specific task it is meant for. It is common to provide a power of attorney with an expiry date.

The land office only accepts the official land office power of attorney, probably has to witnessed at the embassy to be acceptable for the land office. I believe instructions are given by the land office or are on the back of the document.

I have advised my friend to send the brother to the local land office to get the form and at the same time to send the actual owner to the embassy in Paris to do the same thing. With any luck, one of them may come up with the document.

I have advised my friend to send the brother to the local land office to get the form and at the same time to send the actual owner to the embassy in Paris to do the same thing. With any luck, one of them may come up with the document.

Thanks for the information.

Thanks for the information.

To make it easier, you need the Tor-Dor 21 form, you can download it from the land department's website www.dol.go.th. The Thai way of doing this is you put the seller's Thai address in the form, so you don't need to go to the embassy, but of course not correct, but works in practice :)