Restaurant Review: Duke's Bangkok

junkofdavid2

The Route 66 is 2 smaller burgers. I think 190 grams in total. It's The Duke's answer to the In and Out Double Double with grilled onion. Duke's Express hand cuts and grinds the beef fresh everyday. The fries are also fresh cut everyday. The larger burger is 180 grams.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went there yesterday for the Duke's burger - very nice, good value for money - but it only came with cole slaw and pickle, I thought you could only choose one side. Was definitely fresh ground sirloin - wonderful texture and flavor.

The only real complaint is that the cole slaw was not cole slaw - not only did it taste like it had been slathered with a creamy Italian dressing, it had cilantro/coriander in it.

Other were also eating when I was there and all seem satisfied - one guy ordered a cheese pizza which looked really good, and finished it off handily. Might try that one day but next time I'm trying the ribs, then the lasagna.

Drinks - had the bottomless iced tea - thank goodness it was not that sickly sweet Nestea you find everywhere, but tasted like fresh brewed tea with sugar in it. Must've had about two liters myself...

Fix the coleslaw, please :) But definitely going back to try out some of the other dishes!

Went there yesterday and had a very pleasant lunch. Tender ribs that fell off the bone, followed by a very decent interpretation of a Philly cheesesteak - maybe not up to Roadhouse standards but better than, for example, Bully's.

Have to agree with the comments on the coleslaw - tasted more salty than anything. Not coleslaw, although not bad in its own way.

Prices were a little on the high side, although no higher than most western pub-type eateries, and the only real bugbear is that the waiter brought the appetiser and main course at the same time. But then it was Christmas Day and it was probably a relatively new skeleton staff on duty - a training issue, I think.

Come to think of it; indeed the drinks were expensive... so I remember I opted not to order any. Instead bought a drink at Emporium supermarket after my meal.

Didn't try the ribs.

That's gotta be the cheapest comment I have read on Thai Visa!

Are you proud of that? I bet you you are the type of guy who sits on the steps of 7- eleven and drinks his beer instead of going into a bar.

:)

Umm... actually, I shifted to soda-water a while back. Lot cheaper. :D

Please start a topic on places to eat that you consider best value for money. Your opinions are valued and i'd be intrigued! :D

My first time at Duke's in CM was quite recently and I really enjoyed the Duke Burger and the Apple Pie. I'll be glad to give them a try at Emporium. However, the portions seem to be huge - perhaps too big for Thais and also perhaps too big for the lunchtime crowd at Emporium. IMO, Piri Piri and Pomodoro are successful because the food is fairly light. Pomodoro has more of a Thai clientele than Piri Piri though.

Oh, yeah, and I don't see how anyone can compare Burger King with anything (except McD), it's so bad. Yet very popular with kids at Emporium.

Will try the ribs on a next trip because that is something you don't see everywhere but can't see myself returning for the pizza which was very average. Its not all that awesome to speed 600 baht for pizza and a bottle of water that still leaves you hungry 30 minutes later.

I would definitely recommend the Italian Restaurant in Emporium over Duke's for pizza.

On the contrary. Ribs; being pork; is the most widely served dish in the capital.

Pomodoro for Pizza & a Caeser salad. Some of the best in town. Agree 100%. Piri Piri for steak. I give that new food court a wide berth. There is some fish & chips in there though.

Aside from the nice burger I had the first time, I went back twice more for the lasagna and the ribs.

First time - lasagna. Soggiest I've ever seen - appears that the pasta was cooked BEFORE they made the lasagna layers - size was huge but the appearance and taste were not that good.

Second time - ribs. Fall off the bone? Yes. Good taste? If you don't count the top layer which tasted like eating pure salt - and dry to boot - the ribs were ok. However, doesn't hold a candle to Tony Roma's. Cole slaw still not fixed - and worst of all, the nice fresh brewed tea slightly sugared has now become Nestea Unsweetened Instant Tea with way the hel_l too much sugar added.

On top of that - the service was nothing short of terrible - even when one of the girls recognized me as a past customer of Sunrise Tacos.

Mrs Owner was there the last two times too - not a peep from her, just a scowl.

This is going seriously backwards. I'm not going back for at least a few months.

Edited by onethailand

Where. next Dukes? Pattaya, Hua Hin, Phuket. "Dukes of Thialand" :)

They probably won't be able to open in Hua Hin, although it would be nice for Sizzler to have some competition there in this catering segment. There's already a restaurant in Hua Hin Soi 51 on the beachfront called The Dukes, been established for a couple of years now. It has a different concept to the CM and BKK Dukes, being a bit more high-end providing Thai & international cuisine and live music.

I went to The Dukes whilst visiting CM last week, thinking it maybe related to the HH Dukes...& seemed to be more of an Outback Steakhouse style cuisine in CM. I ate lunch in the Vietnamese restaurant next to The Dukes in Emporium BKK 2 days ago, and noticed The Dukes seemed to be doing well in terms of business at that time. The burgers looked great.

Lunch in a brightly lit bedding department with people passing by looking at your meal. No Thankyou!

But that's surely a win win situation, superior quality and sensibly priced food enjoyed by the customer and the product is observed by passing traffic also, a brilliant notion and you have to admit, the recipes are very good.

Lunch in a brightly lit bedding department with people passing by looking at your meal. No Thankyou!

But that's surely a win win situation, superior quality and sensibly priced food enjoyed by the customer and the product is observed by passing traffic also, a brilliant notion and you have to admit, the recipes are very good.

Well that sounds ok if you are prepared to be part of the advertising for the place where you are eating. Personally, I prefer foodhalls before mall open restaurants. They seem to appeal to Thais because it allows them to be seen. "Oh! Somchai, I saw you at Pompous Doras at the MegaBuck mall, you must be rich."

I prefer a place where sunglasses are not needed and there is less foot traffic.

It's not in the foodcourt adjacent to the brightly lit bedding department. It's located in the restaurant section at the southern end of the same floor, up a couple of stairs...near Sunrise Tacos, Mos Burger, Swensons, Nippon Kai etc.

Had lunch with the Mrs at Duke's Express in Emporium yesterday.

Overall give it a 7/10. Food quality is good but found it a bit $. Portion sizes are normal.

Lasagna with side salad (325), Reuben with fries (325), soft drink (80) and a heineken (90).

Total: 942.00 baht inc 10% service and 7% Vat.

Btw, the other day had lunch at White Spot in Central World

8/10. Burgers are very good - recommend the BC Burger - best buns I have had here, beef is good quality, no fillers etc.

Two burgers, fries, soft drinks = 500 baht, no service charges.

There's a White Spot in Central World!?! Why have I never noticed this? What floor is it on? OMG, I'm going to make the trip into town today for this!

(Sorry for being off-topic, but this got me REALLY excited!)

Yea I stumbled across it as well - 7th floor, opposite the entrance to cinemas, in the back behind the chinese / japanese restaurants.

There's a White Spot in Central World!?! Why have I never noticed this? What floor is it on? OMG, I'm going to make the trip into town today for this!

Yea I stumbled across it as well - 7th floor, opposite the entrance to cinemas, in the back behind the chinese / japanese restaurants.

It is actually called Triple O Burgers.

TH

TH

Look a lil closer mate at the sign and you will see WHITE SPOT but anyways - still good.

TH

Look a lil closer mate at the sign and you will see WHITE SPOT but anyways - still good.

There is indeed ‘white spot” as part of the logo, but was just trying to help if someone was going to go looking for a place called “White Spot”.

I do agree it is a great burger, go there several times a month.