Major Upgrade To Local Emergency Services To Come On 2010

Rimmer

On Tuesday Afternoon at Pattaya City Hall, Khun Itipon, the Mayor of Pattaya led a contract signing ceremony between 10 separate Police Divisions, Public Health Departments and local Rescue Services to begin a major upgrade program for local emergency services to ensure that those who need medical assistance can receive a much improved standard of care. Those taking part in the ceremony included, Pattaya Police, Banglamung Police, Chonburi Marine Police, Pattaya City Hall, Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, Pattaya Memorial Hospital, the Sawang Boriboon Rescue Foundation, the Water Transport Office, the Chonburi Protection and Disaster Relief Office and the main organizers who are the Emergency Medical Institute of Thailand. It is hoped that better first aid and first responder training will be offered to local rescue services and a communication center will be set up to ensure a faster response to accidents and better allocation of resources. The upgrades which, we have been told, are comparable to western standards will begin early in 2010.

www.pattayaone.net

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

22 Dec 2009

post-22250-1261485055_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1261485074_thumb.jpg

I wish this could be carried out nation-wide. First-responder service in the outer provinces is abysmal. My first-aid kit that I assembled myself has more usable stuff in it than most of the "rescue" vehicles around here. But I wouldn't/couldn't be a first responder in Thailand - this kit is for family and friends only, and has proven itself useful a couple of times this past year.

I'd recommend everyone take a basic and then and advanced first aid class. While the training is much less than complete, it will give you a reasonable level of first aid abilities.

Call me cynical, but this is just more of the same PR puff press release rubbish. Costs little for the local celebrities - sorry politicos - to smile for the cameras and bang some heads together to come up with some fine-sounding words, but as ever the devil is in the detail, and of that there is little.

Anyone remember that other wonderful photo opportunity recently - the signining of an "MOU" (not a binding agreement, note) by Pattaya's hospitals to provide some kind of cheap care to accident victims.

Then again at least this doesn't cost anyone much money - unlike the millions of Baht "spent" over the years on tourist-assistance, which culminating in its latest manifestation in the Pattaya City callcentre number, emblazoned everywhere around the town.

Except this has recently been revealed to be one or two people on the end of a phone, who don't know what's going on in town and who have no numbers for emergency services. Great helpline.

And how much did setting up THAT little venture cost the local taxpayer?