Misubishi Pajero / Chevy Captiva

CDNinKS

There isn't a new model of the Pajero Sport, just a couple of changes to the line-up:

1. Diesel engines get a particulate filter to make them Euro4 compliant (no change in HP).

2. New blue color

3. New petrol engine option

Prices will increase by ~15,000 Baht on the diesel models to pay for the particulate filter.

My advice: buy now to avoid another 15K baht service item ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SG - Can you update the thread when you have more details? I will be back in BKK 2 weeks today all being well, and now knowing that there is a minor change and price increase coming for the diesel version will have to look at this virtually as soon as I get onshore.

Was not too worried as I figured I could spend a couple of weeks kicking tires and looking, and ask for delivery in late November after the next trip offshore. Late November delivery now looks to coincide with the changes for the PJS. Oh well there goes the usual 2 or 3 days post trip chillout.

Cheers and best of luck

SG - Can you update the thread when you have more details? I will be back in BKK 2 weeks today all being well, and now knowing that there is a minor change and price increase coming for the diesel version will have to look at this virtually as soon as I get onshore.

Was not too worried as I figured I could spend a couple of weeks kicking tires and looking, and ask for delivery in late November after the next trip offshore. Late November delivery now looks to coincide with the changes for the PJS. Oh well there goes the usual 2 or 3 days post trip chillout.

Cheers and best of luck

I wouldn't stress too much Litlos - all Mitsu marketing and sales will be pimping this as the "Pajero Sport Mai" 2012 model, and the average buyer will buy it hook, line and sinker - so there will continue to be some non-particulate-filter models around when you get back - it just may mean some ringing around to find a dealer with the right model/color in stock.. :P

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Ordered white 4x4 GT last sunday. Did visit two dealers in BKK. First dealer located around the new Bang Na BTS station promised 30K discount but not so much on the freebies side. Only film and the usual registration/insurance etc. Understood that paying full price they would be willing to include more.

Second dealer at Chaeng Wattana did not discount but offered long list of extras.

From the memory Chaeng Wattana dealer extras were:

- 1st year free first class and mandatory insurances

- free service for first years or up to 100K?, parts 10 or was it 15% discount

- free registration

- rust protection sprayed to the bottom

- Window films

- rubber carpets

- those plastic wind "guides" on top of the side windows

- chrome door handle backs

- side mirror covers with turnsignals

- rear view camera (activated when gear reverse)

- TV screen for back seat (ceiling mount)

- Total 15 items in the list so missing ones might have been car cover and such that i did not register...

Sukhumvit dealer was smaller and their service area looked like cr@p. And noticed the fact that did not see a single customer during the 30 mins or so i was there. Although they had couple of cars ready for delivery with some extras fitted. Chaengwattana dealer is bigger, nice clean new showroom and very professional looking modern service operation at the back. Lot's of customers around, did rebook test drive couple of days in advance by phone to be sure i could drive one before decision.

Took from the Chaeng Wattana dealer in the end, out of convenience of getting the car delivered with the rear camera and backseat TV in exchange of the 30K discount Sukhumvit offered. It was 10K reservation fee and should get the car sometime next week.

MRO, would be good to hear your opinion on the gearboxes, any differences etc between the 4-speed and 5-speed that comes with 4x4 models ?

The 5AT improves acceleration/response by a small but noticeable margin (compared to the 4x4 4AT - the 2WD has less weight and drivetrain loss, so still performs well with 4AT), it also improves fuel economy by 3%, and adds steering wheel paddle shifters.

Not a massive game-changer, but a nice thing to have for free if you have a need for the 4x4 model ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

MRO, would be good to hear your opinion on the gearboxes, any differences etc between the 4-speed and 5-speed that comes with 4x4 models ?

The 5AT improves acceleration/response by a small but noticeable margin (compared to the 4x4 4AT - the 2WD has less weight and drivetrain loss, so still performs well with 4AT), it also improves fuel economy by 3%, and adds steering wheel paddle shifters.

Not a massive game-changer, but a nice thing to have for free if you have a need for the 4x4 model ;)

Interesting about the fuel economy, did not think of that. Paddle shifters i have never learned to use, just not for me. To be honest i have not so much need for the 4x4 either but could not resist and in the end you never know. Maybe the climate change is true and Bangkok will sink to the sea making Sukhumvit to a beach laugh.gif

Ordered white 4x4 GT last sunday. Did visit two dealers in BKK. First dealer located around the new Bang Na BTS station promised 30K discount but not so much on the freebies side. Only film and the usual registration/insurance etc. Understood that paying full price they would be willing to include more.

Second dealer at Chaeng Wattana did not discount but offered long list of extras.

From the memory Chaeng Wattana dealer extras were:

- 1st year free first class and mandatory insurances

- free service for first years or up to 100K?, parts 10 or was it 15% discount

- free registration

- rust protection sprayed to the bottom

- Window films

- rubber carpets

- those plastic wind "guides" on top of the side windows

- chrome door handle backs

- side mirror covers with turnsignals

- rear view camera (activated when gear reverse)

- TV screen for back seat (ceiling mount)

- Total 15 items in the list so missing ones might have been car cover and such that i did not register...

Sukhumvit dealer was smaller and their service area looked like cr@p. And noticed the fact that did not see a single customer during the 30 mins or so i was there. Although they had couple of cars ready for delivery with some extras fitted. Chaengwattana dealer is bigger, nice clean new showroom and very professional looking modern service operation at the back. Lot's of customers around, did rebook test drive couple of days in advance by phone to be sure i could drive one before decision.

Took from the Chaeng Wattana dealer in the end, out of convenience of getting the car delivered with the rear camera and backseat TV in exchange of the 30K discount Sukhumvit offered. It was 10K reservation fee and should get the car sometime next week.

That looks like a pretty good deal and sounds like a reasonable delivery time.

A couple of questions though. Is Sunday a normal trading day at the dealer? I do not particularly like driving around Bangkok, and would much prefer to do on a Sunday if possible.

The location of the dealer, is this on Rama 3 near the Riverside Villa Condo?

I am at work at the moment and have a very slow internet connection, so trying to do any research is an exercise in frustration.

Cheers

That looks like a pretty good deal and sounds like a reasonable delivery time.

A couple of questions though. Is Sunday a normal trading day at the dealer? I do not particularly like driving around Bangkok, and would much prefer to do on a Sunday if possible.

The location of the dealer, is this on Rama 3 near the Riverside Villa Condo?

I am at work at the moment and have a very slow internet connection, so trying to do any research is an exercise in frustration.

Cheers

I think they are open on sundays.

The dealer is at Chaeng Wattana road, opposite Toyota and not far from the new government complex. Pretty convenient as it's not far from expressway either.

Just heard the car is ready for delivery on Wednesday so not too bad, one and half weeks. Although they happened to have the car in stock but even if they have to order from factory i understood it won't take much longer.

I think they are open on sundays.

The dealer is at Chaeng Wattana road, opposite Toyota and not far from the new government complex. Pretty convenient as it's not far from expressway either.

Just heard the car is ready for delivery on Wednesday so not too bad, one and half weeks. Although they happened to have the car in stock but even if they have to order from factory i understood it won't take much longer.

Any update as you should have delivery now?

Is this dealer on Chaeng Wattana up near Don Muang and the same side of the tollway as the airport? Not familiar with that area apart from going to and from the airport. My work agency takes care of any government paperwork, so no need to visit the government complex. I managed to get the Mitsubishi website to fully load up this morning and the dealer locator is all in Thai, despite saying in the URL is "En".

Cheers

Any update as you should have delivery now?

Is this dealer on Chaeng Wattana up near Don Muang and the same side of the tollway as the airport? Not familiar with that area apart from going to and from the airport. My work agency takes care of any government paperwork, so no need to visit the government complex. I managed to get the Mitsubishi website to fully load up this morning and the dealer locator is all in Thai, despite saying in the URL is "En".

Cheers

Got the car yesterday, all extras nicely fitted and love the rear view camera. Activates when you shift reverse. Shows good picture with lines for range. Considering the rear view mirror is pretty much useless in these types of cars it is a nice add on. Those side mirror covers with turn signals had also nice surprise, they have led lights at the bottom that light up when you open the door. Should prevent you to stepping on anything nasty when it's dark. Minor things but nice to have.

Runs nice and seems to have plenty of power for my needs. The 5 speed gearbox seems to have nice long 5th, cruising nicely around 2000 rpm at 120 kph speeds. Need to check the tire pressure tomorrow as it looks like they are rock hard. Lowering them to spec should make it even more comfortable ride.

Manual book was in thai so have to see if they have english ones or if i can download from the net, took a brief look and it seems to have all service vouchers etc included.

So far so good and i'm happy camper.

The Chaeng Wattana dealer is not the same side as the airport. If you come from town via (or under) Don Muang tollway you need to turn left to Chaeng Wattana @ Laksi IT Square.

So just stay dowstairs and turn left to Chaeng Wattana and the while the government complex will be in your left side the Mitsu dealer is on your right. Just keep going straight until you pass Toyota dealer on your left and make U turn in next intersection. The Mitsu is right opposite the Toyota dealer. Dead easy to find once you get to Chaeng Wattana, both Toyota and Mitsu has big tall signs in front of the showroom. And if you reach the Sirat Expressway you gone too far so make U under it if that happens.

I've been actually driving via Sirat expressway from town and from there it is right turn on Chaeng Wattana exit and the dealer is then your left not far from the exit.

As you can see from the map below coming from Sukhumvit (or from tollway from Port or Bang Na) you can drive both ways. The route shows Don Muang expressway to Laksi IT plaza / Chaeng Wattana.

Manual book was in thai so have to see if they have english ones or if i can download from the net, took a brief look and it seems to have all service vouchers etc included.

You can order the English manual through your selling dealer for 300 Baht - or free if you specify that's what you want before you take delivery :)

As for tire pressures, I can almost guarantee their waayyy over factory spec - so once you knock them down to recommended PSI (sticker with correct pressures is in the drivers door jamb), the ride will improve hand over fist.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

MJo - Thanks for the information. I used the Toyota website to find their dealer in Laksi on the map as a reference, and it shows it being on the other side of the Don Muang Tollway. The attached map is great as the route practically goes past my door, so very easy to follow.

I have a RAV4 in Australia, so the reversing camera is a priority based on my experience with that, and people putting shopping trolleys behind the car while I am getting ready to reverse out :realangry:

The tire pressures being to high seems to be common in Thailand, comments on another thread says they seem to pump it up to the maximum rated pressure, instead of the operating pressure.

Is there anyone you can recommend to talk to at that dealer, and contact details? As i may have to search the around the dealers a bit to get the current model all hints gratefully received.

Cheers

MJo - Thanks for the information. I used the Toyota website to find their dealer in Laksi on the map as a reference, and it shows it being on the other side of the Don Muang Tollway. The attached map is great as the route practically goes past my door, so very easy to follow.

I have a RAV4 in Australia, so the reversing camera is a priority based on my experience with that, and people putting shopping trolleys behind the car while I am getting ready to reverse out :realangry:

The tire pressures being to high seems to be common in Thailand, comments on another thread says they seem to pump it up to the maximum rated pressure, instead of the operating pressure.

Is there anyone you can recommend to talk to at that dealer, and contact details? As i may have to search the around the dealers a bit to get the current model all hints gratefully received.

Cheers

all cars leave factory with storagre pressure to avoid squared tyres, for a suv/pickup thats approx 45 Psi. Dealer supposed to deflate on delivery service, but........

even servicing, they often inflate to high. I always check pressure when pickup car from service, always to high. at pumps pressure gauge often not accurate or missing, or to hot tyres, so a tyre pressure gauge in car is needed. Tesco at 200 baht. Recommended tyre pressure on all cars sold in TH, sticker drivers door sill

Cheers

all cars leave factory with storagre pressure to avoid squared tyres, for a suv/pickup thats approx 45 Psi. Dealer supposed to deflate on delivery service, but........

even servicing, they often inflate to high. I always check pressure when pickup car from service, always to high. at pumps pressure gauge often not accurate or missing, or to hot tyres, so a tyre pressure gauge in car is needed. Tesco at 200 baht. Recommended tyre pressure on all cars sold in TH, sticker drivers door sill

What PSI do drivers here with 20" rims have in their tyres?

Mine are set at 38 psi front/back... just wondering if this is the cause of my poor fuel consumption or perhaps it's my heavy right foot, lol...

Went back to the main dealership in Pattaya with a friend who knew the sales manager,pushed him as hard as I could, bought it outright so he didn't get his finance commission, got a better offer this time so ordered a 2WD GT, get it next Saturday.

Off the top of my head,

Free first class insurance

Government Insurance

Road Tax

Registration

Window tints

Window trims

Rubber mats

Camera

Rear Spoiler

Carpet mats

Some kind of Gucci number plate holder

Free servicing up to 100,000kms

Seeing as the dealership is almost across the road from me, I took it.

Sensible Choise you new buyers. Heres one for MRO. About 8 Years ago i had a New Mitsu, it wasnt a Paj, it was Blue n Siver 2 tone,fully loaded with gadgets, 4W.D. with a stumpy lever,Turbocharged as Factory, 8kpl flat out or dithering along, cant remember the name though.Great Vehicle. Grandis perhaps.?.or G something. ?..

Mine are set at 38 psi front/back... just wondering if this is the cause of my poor fuel consumption or perhaps it's my heavy right foot, lol...

Look at the weight index for the standard tires, compare to the weight index of the 20" tires.. If the new tires have a higher load index, subtract the difference off the standard PSI. If the new tires have a lower load index, add the difference to the standard PSI. e.g. if the standard tires are "111H", and the new tires are "112V", the pressures needs to go down 1 PSI from the factory recommendation - conversely, if the new tires are 109S, the pressures need to go up 2 PSI. If the new tires have the same speed rating, the standard recommended pressures remain correct.

Heres one for MRO. About 8 Years ago i had a New Mitsu, it wasnt a Paj, it was Blue n Siver 2 tone,fully loaded with gadgets, 4W.D. with a stumpy lever,Turbocharged as Factory, 8kpl flat out or dithering along, cant remember the name though.Great Vehicle. Grandis perhaps.?.or G something. ?..

That'd be the old G-Wagon (AKA Challenger, Pajero Sport, Montero Sport, Shogun Sport and Nativa in other markets) - the same thing as today's Pajero Sport, just based off the old Strada pickup.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Look at the weight index for the standard tires, compare to the weight index of the 20" tires.. If the new tires have a higher load index, subtract the difference off the standard PSI. If the new tires have a lower load index, add the difference to the standard PSI. e.g. if the standard tires are "111H", and the new tires are "112V", the pressures needs to go down 1 PSI from the factory recommendation - conversely, if the new tires are 109S, the pressures need to go up 2 PSI. If the new tires have the same speed rating, the standard recommended pressures remain correct.

Heres one for MRO. About 8 Years ago i had a New Mitsu, it wasnt a Paj, it was Blue n Siver 2 tone,fully loaded with gadgets, 4W.D. with a stumpy lever,Turbocharged as Factory, 8kpl flat out or dithering along, cant remember the name though.Great Vehicle. Grandis perhaps.?.or G something. ?..

That'd be the old G-Wagon (AKA Challenger, Pajero Sport, Montero Sport, Shogun Sport and Nativa in other markets) - the same thing as today's Pajero Sport, just based off the old Strada pickup.

Thats it,G Wagon, now if the Spivo could have matched that for hi speed stability, i might have found a good word for it..I never moaned about anything on the Mitsu. Rare Event.:D

Thats it,G Wagon, now if the Spivo could have matched that for hi speed stability, i might have found a good word for it..I never moaned about anything on the Mitsu. Rare Event.:D

Yep, I can still remember when they first came out back when I was in my early teens thinking they were the business. Apparently in Oztralia the TV ads for them used the "Green Acres" soundtrack - guess that hillbilly's have a good marketing vibe down there..

However, it took 18 thrashed and trashed company cars, and a few sports cars before I actually bought one (well, the new model) in 2010 ;)

Yeah OK, they were probably playing up to the whole "it's a city and a country car" thing, but only an Ozzie would dare do it :D

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

You can order the English manual through your selling dealer for 300 Baht - or free if you specify that's what you want before you take delivery :)

As for tire pressures, I can almost guarantee their waayyy over factory spec - so once you knock them down to recommended PSI (sticker with correct pressures is in the drivers door jamb), the ride will improve hand over fist.

It sure did, the pressure was 55 psi in all corners. Dropped to the lower spec and now can drive over the speed bumps without my teeth falling off...

Cheers

Wife had the sales lady's name and number somewhere in her cell. Get back to you if she still has it. All extra's was pretty straight forward except the tv screen for back seat. Had to work on that one a bit and she was complaining no commission left with all the extras she gave. But then again that's always the case if you ask a salesman whistling.gif

Wife had the sales lady's name and number somewhere in her cell. Get back to you if she still has it. All extra's was pretty straight forward except the tv screen for back seat. Had to work on that one a bit and she was complaining no commission left with all the extras she gave. But then again that's always the case if you ask a salesman whistling.gif

No commission left, LOL, if the sales persons are not whining that there is nothing left in it for them, then you paid to much.

I am not to worried about rear screen as the only time I have people in the back is when we go up to Isaan to visit the TGF's family. However I do like having the bluetooth for the phone inbuilt so that should be roughly equal. Do you have the full list of freebies?

I will probably start looking on Thursday afternoon, Fridays are mayhem on the roads. Depends on what time I get into Bangkok on Wednesday, was early afternoon and now looks like late evening, then I have to flush offshore out of the system so will not be an early start in the morning.:burp:

Cheers

Yeah OK, they were probably playing up to the whole "it's a city and a country car" thing, but only an Ozzie would dare do it :D

Had me curious on this one as I cannot recall a G Wagon in Australia. So had a quick surf and found it was called the Challenger. In fact if you look at the Challenger in Oz now it sure looks like the PJS to me. And even has a English brochure that can be downloaded. I find the Thai Mitsubishi online stuff really lacking in the English department..

The naff advertisments like you mentioned are all generated out of Sydney, and they are a bunch of brain damaged, rugby playing East Coasters, enough said. Advertisements like that could explain the relatively low profile Mitsubish has in Oz compared to Toyota, Nissan etc.

However to prove the Sydney numpties are not just with Mitsubishi and if you really want to see a quirky advertisement have a look for "RAV4 200 Killer Wasps", pretty sure it is on Utube, but Utube is blocked where I am at the moment. I had already ordered one before the advertisement came out. Hate the advertisement, love the V6 at 200 KW or about 270hp, 0 to 100kph in 7.1 sec. :D I looked at importing it to Thailand, but the tax and excise etc just made that impractical.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Well I picked up the PJS a week ago and thanks for all the tips and guidance from members during the purchasing. I ended up with a PJS GT 4wd in Brown. The only reason for brown was the TGF said souai, and I have never owned a brown car before.:rolleyes:

The 4wd, well I got a good deal on the 4wd and thought it could be useful on the crappy roads during roadworks. Well have already had to use 4wd H diff lock mode going between swamped villages on very wet roads, so happy about the 4wd option as well. Decided to go for a break in run to Isaan and the place is flooded !!! Also internet is patchy to non existent.

Anyone have any good info on Bluetooth phone module for the car? I thought once I knew the model of the head unit would be easy, well apparently Alpine do not do a comparison chart for bits. I asked the dealer and got the deer in the headlights look. Oh well back to plan B and ask for help.

Cheers

Litlos