Income In Thailand For The Over 50's

GaryA, I'm in agreement with you here! I have a pension, some savings, a large inheritance to come and a good job. All that seems to be lost on a few posters who failed to read my OP and cannot understand that some people actually like to work and not retire at 65 :D Money is not the only motivation

Naam, please write all your posts in Arabic! I'm currently learning to read Arabic and Farsi, and reading your recent comment is good practice :D

Simon

that's against forum rules Simon. i just wanted to embarrass a clown :) by the way, there's not too much difference between arabic, farsi and urdu and learning to read and write is a "breeze". the real problem is to understand the correct meanings in these languages because of a multitude of ambiguous undefined words/expressions.

for your future best wishes!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Razzell, a small resort is definitely one idea I have in mind, since I do believe that so long as you have 'location, location, location', and combine this with cleanliness, excellent customer service and decent online marketing - then you have a winner.

Additionally, that is the type of business that which can allow you to also be occupied with an online business. I used to do this at the Phuket hotel, writing my software after hotel guess had left for the day. The only reason for exiting that particular hotel business was due to the mental stability (or severe lack of it) of my ex :)

Naam, OT but I'm making good progress reading Arabic and Farsi. Both my parents were brought up in Eygpt and could speak Arabic, so maybe it's in my blood also.

Simon

be wary of expecting a big inheritence if one is financially irresponsible.

There are a lot of guys I know who are basically just messing around in Thailand waiting for the big "Bangkok Pension"; the inheritance.....

I wonder how many are going to be disappointed?

IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO PARENTS:

Spend all your money on yourselves, go travelling, enjoy your lives. YOU earned it and YOU spend it on YOURSELVES.

Hi Razzell, a small resort is definitely one idea I have in mind, since I do believe that so long as you have 'location, location, location', and combine this with cleanliness, excellent customer service and decent online marketing - then you have a winner.

Additionally, that is the type of business that which can allow you to also be occupied with an online business. I used to do this at the Phuket hotel, writing my software after hotel guess had left for the day. The only reason for exiting that particular hotel business was due to the mental stability (or severe lack of it) of my ex :)

Naam, OT but I'm making good progress reading Arabic and Farsi. Both my parents were brought up in Eygpt and could speak Arabic, so maybe it's in my blood also.

Simon

Attached a few pics to get you thinking :D

RAZZ

post-22947-1262187112_thumb.jpg

post-22947-1262187604_thumb.jpg

post-22947-1262187625_thumb.jpg

post-22947-1262187673_thumb.jpg

Edited by RAZZELL

Simon, you said you're on the learning curve on the farsi/urdu/whatever language..?

Why not jump on and learn to speak/write russian fluently at the same time? As far as I have seen/heard, every russian can maybe speak three or four words english/thai. Then you have covered the major nationalities that comes here. especially if you speaks and writes a decent or better thai.

My fiancee works as a secretary at a dental clinic in Pattaya and she is getting grey hairs before her time because almost everyone that comes to the clinic lacks the necessary language skills to voice the most basic stuff.

It shouldn't be too hard to earn a decent income from this in a tourist area. A second profession that you can have for a very long time.

Simon51 (snigger snigger) - if you have a gift for languages, then as C64 (Commodore 64? I used to have one of those!) suggests (I think), why not look into formalising them and do interpreting. I have a cousin in Italy that does that - she speaks something like 12 language at last count (was at Uni until her mid-30's) and interprets at a high level (politicians, top business people etc etc). Might be fun.

Another thing might be the law - Thai law - I believe you couldn't practise here (in court) as its a protected job, but you could certainly consult Thai lawyers and farang clients - interpreting Thai law would be useful and a never ending supply of stupiud or unfortunate farangs through the door.

Interpreting is a idea. I already do Thai and French as part of my volunteer work. In fact, it was because of the increase in Arabic and Farsi speaking tourists, that I started to learn these 2 languages. But Russian tourists, especially those who speak little English, are definitely on the increase in Thailand.

Simon

Simon,

As you know, it is very hard to make money via advertisers unless you have a huge broad user base like Thai Visa does. I have a couple of sites, but the people who visit are net savvy and are not going to click on advertisements. If you want to make money with adsense and web advertisers, you need to target a market that is not internet savvy.

I think you would be better off trying to import/export a retail product to/from Thailand.

Personally, I find this an interesting topic and much more stimulating than some of topics about how much beer can I drink on 10,000 baht per month.

We have a few persistent flamers and off-topic posters, your being watched.

Criticism and analysis, even if negative is welcomed; flaming is not.

Simon,

I think you could make a packet if you learnt Russian.

As far as I can see they seem to be taking over in Pattaya and Koh Chang.....probably other places as well, though I have not come accross any here in Chiang Mai

Property consultant/ estate agent comes to mind.

Good luck in whatever you decide, but for me at a similar age to you (well 4 years older) I enjoy getting up in the morning and not knowing what day it is !!!

Money may last it may not, if not I still have a property in the the UK to fall back on plus the glorious UK Pension scheme...plus a few others that will inevitably take some time to recover, but what the heck, you only live once, I worked hard for my money and I'm through with hard work.

I'm gonna be dead a long time !!!

Simon,

I think you could make a packet if you learnt Russian.

As far as I can see they seem to be taking over in Pattaya and Koh Chang.....probably other places as well, though I have not come accross any here in Chiang Mai

Property consultant/ estate agent comes to mind.

Good luck in whatever you decide, but for me at a similar age to you (well 4 years older) I enjoy getting up in the morning and not knowing what day it is !!!

Money may last it may not, if not I still have a property in the the UK to fall back on plus the glorious UK Pension scheme...plus a few others that will inevitably take some time to recover, but what the heck, you only live once, I worked hard for my money and I'm through with hard work.

I'm gonna be dead a long time !!!

Are you my twin brother lol.Retired here nearly 7 years ago at 49/50 and i spent a week looking at my income,now and the future,adding on about 5% living increase.My bonds are down by 1 million baht but still 2 years to bring them up.With my private pension,bonds,uk pension in a few years and serps 2 will get me well over 25,000 baht a week,and i have a house,paid for,car,2 bikes and a partridge in a pear tree.Ok for when i am old and peeing my pants lol. BTW,forgot to mention my inheritance lol,dont count this but if i do get my bit.then i will be much better off,if i dont who gives a flying

Edited by siggie2

be wary of expecting a big inheritence if one is financially irresponsible.

There are a lot of guys I know who are basically just messing around in Thailand waiting for the big "Bangkok Pension"; the inheritance.....

I wonder how many are going to be disappointed?

IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO PARENTS:

Spend all your money on yourselves, go travelling, enjoy your lives. YOU earned it and YOU spend it on YOURSELVES.

Hey, just because you're not getting one doesn't mean you should ruin it for the rest of us.

GaryA, I'm in agreement with you here! I have a pension, some savings, a large inheritance to come and a good job. All that seems to be lost on a few posters who failed to read my OP and cannot understand that some people actually like to work and not retire at 65 :D Money is not the only motivation

Naam, please write all your posts in Arabic! I'm currently learning to read Arabic and Farsi, and reading your recent comment is good practice :D

Simon

that's against forum rules Simon. i just wanted to embarrass a clown :) by the way, there's not too much difference between arabic, farsi and urdu and learning to read and write is a "breeze". the real problem is to understand the correct meanings in these languages because of a multitude of ambiguous undefined words/expressions.

for your future best wishes!

Urdu, I found to be a much more like Hindi.

Good advice to learn more languages. :D

A bit morbid maybe but the number of Falang in LOS that’s one step removed from the grave is definitely on the increase so why not buy a plot of land and start a funeral parlor.

You can even combine it with your counseling qualities. :)

my message is what simon trying to do is almost impossible

[\quote]

Strange comment considering I've already done exactly the same thing before in Thailand.... It's also why I am confident that I can establish a successful small resort again.

I think some posters are missing the point of this thread. It's not about whether Simon has the funds or commonsense to open such and such business. It's a thread to invite discussion about possible ways to earn a reliable second income, or career paths to follow for a second career.

So far, there have been some very good suggestions. No-one has mentioned opening a care home for elderly 'farang'. That would be a certain winner!

Now the problem is trying to find enough hours in the day to pursue some/all of these ideas :)

Simon

"I think some posters are missing the point of this thread. It's not about whether Simon has the funds or commonsense to open such and such business. It's a thread to invite discussion about possible ways to earn a reliable second income, or career paths to follow for a second career."

Then, perhaps, you ought to start a thread that asks this question. "A second career" is not a "guaranteed residual income".

One thing you need is a marketable skill. Allowing, encouraging, and enabling women to take all of your money and possessions, to destroy your business, and to steal your child is not a marketable skill. Too, it does not qualify you to be a therapist.

I worked my entire professional career as an engineer, and now I do both online and face-to-face consulting with a variety of clients. Is this either a "residual income", or "guaranteed"? Nope, but it is VERY lucrative...but not nearly so as the guy claiming to make $18,000 a month with a website. As a "hobby", I work in commercials and movies. In 2009, I worked 30 days, and made 200,000THB. Now, many TVers will sniff and think "That's nothing, I drink 200,000THB of beer in a month!" All I can say is "congratulations, and good luck with that". The good part of the work is that I get to meet and socialize with women that I prefer: farang women unassociated with the sex industry, who want to date in a "Western" fashion. Now, many TVers prefer socializing with bargirls, and spend months in an angst-filled, psycho-drama relationships...and all I have to say is "congratulations, and good luck with that".

Hi Simon :D

I too have followed your career on TV... :D over the years...

A friend of mine speaks fluent Thai but cannot read it. He needs an income too.

As a sole prop how could you work as a translator, say, in the courts, for foreign defendants.

There is def a need for someone to translate what is going on in a truthful & forthright manner.

Thais may only tell you what they think you want to hear.

Any ideas welcome. :D

Good luck, but I don't think you need it with your skills. :D

PS Good riddance to Noot & his 27 other nics :)

The old people's home for 'farang' is a very good idea! (I actually discussed this on ThaiVisa some years ago).

Working a a translator, especially for language pairs such as Russian-Thai, Farsi-Thai, Arabic-Thai would surely be in good demand. But you would need to be fluent in your language pairs. (My Thai is good enough for the translation work that I do as a volunteer, but not yet up to working in the legal system).

One reason why I like to cosider secondary employments is because my primary income (from SMS software), is earned from outside of Thailand, and only requires a portion of each day to check the servers etc. So I have time availabe to follow other career or academic study ideas.

But the comments in my OP still stand. I'm not rich (right now!), and do not have substantial savings. Even if I were rich, I would still want to pursue a second career/business, becuse experience has taught me that no matter how 'safe' your primary income and/or savings might appear, something or someone can come along and <deleted> everything up for you!! That 'something' could be the Icelandic banks crashing, or that 'someone' could be your elderly mother being taken ill and requiring you to abandon your Thai job and return to the UK to care for her. Anything can happen!

Simon

The old people's home for 'farang' is a very good idea! (I actually discussed this on ThaiVisa some years ago).

Working a a translator, especially for language pairs such as Russian-Thai, Farsi-Thai, Arabic-Thai would surely be in good demand. But you would need to be fluent in your language pairs. (My Thai is good enough for the translation work that I do as a volunteer, but not yet up to working in the legal system).

One reason why I like to cosider secondary employments is because my primary income (from SMS software), is earned from outside of Thailand, and only requires a portion of each day to check the servers etc. So I have time availabe to follow other career or academic study ideas.

But the comments in my OP still stand. I'm not rich (right now!), and do not have substantial savings. Even if I were rich, I would still want to pursue a second career/business, becuse experience has taught me that no matter how 'safe' your primary income and/or savings might appear, something or someone can come along and <deleted> everything up for you!! That 'something' could be the Icelandic banks crashing, or that 'someone' could be your elderly mother being taken ill and requiring you to abandon your Thai job and return to the UK to care for her. Anything can happen!

Simon

I think you're narrowing in on something you can do and you would likely be good at Simon. You're a bright and hard working man that can rise to challanges and challanges himself. You've a background in the hotel business with a niche to serve the handicapped. The Baby Boom generation is reaching retirement age now and with all the TV they've watched, shit they've eaten and poisons they've ingested there's going to be a tsunami of Alzheimers cases coming in need of long term care. Here's what one guy in Chiang Mai is doing:

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/099/success.shtml

http://www.alzheimerthailand.com/Alzheimer.../Ueberblick.htm

Simon

If you have substantial savings it doesnt matter about giving up a Thai job, and as to the banking system being unstable, many of us made good money having predicted that. Its as though your asking for a solution to a problem, that is solved by having savings, but saying you dont want that solution.

I fail to see your desire / need to work if you can get the savings you claim to be able to easily achieve. I personally cant think of anything more stifling than having to work and I am only in my 30's. The inability to just hop a plane and go touring, etc etc. Theres not enough hours in the day or days in the week for all the things I want to do.

Amazing how many newbies suddenly appear on these threads - and then get banned within a few posts :D

I have no ideas on a Thai business but sure agree with your above comment.

I noticed it right off in this thread.

Good luck to you with what ever you pursue :)

Amazing how many newbies suddenly appear on these threads - and then get banned within a few posts :)

I was wondering what's up with these guys. It appears being a moron is a qualification to join TV lately!

Anyway, I think it's an interesting subject, and thanks to those who have posted something intelligent.

Edited by beechguy

Amazing how many newbies suddenly appear on these threads - and then get banned within a few posts :)

I was wondering what's up with these guys. It appears being a moron is a qualification to join TV lately!

Anyway, I think it's an interesting subject, and thanks to those who have posted something intelligent.

Agree with you. I have deleted most of the drivel from what is an interesting topic.

LivinLOS - Indeed, when I was in my 30s, I also enjoyed travelling & touring. I still do enjoy a few days of holiday, but also enjoy the challenge of conceptualising a business idea and bringing it to fruition. Having savings should not exclude one from enjoying work.

Well, that's my view and maybe not yours :)

Back on-topic...

Does anyone have experience of manufacturing a food product in Thailand that is available overseas, where no local manufacture currently exists? I know there are requirements for obtaining certiification of the food item. Is this a costly/long-winded/achievable process?

I have identified a food item that is popular with 'westerners', but is not available in Thailand. It is reasonably easy to manufacture with local ingredients, and has a very long shelflife. Food for thought!

Simon

Many of you seem focused on money, money, money! I was probably the same when I was younger. Now I'm more concerned about opportunities to work for a residual but reasonably secure income.

I cannot imagine not working, so please stop the suggestions about saving the money away :) I enjoy working and want to ensure that as I age (gracefully), I am qualified and able to work in a business sector that is challenging and creates a reasonable income. I have no interest whatso ever in retiring to the garden. (My father worked until the day he dies at 89 years old and I hope to do the same...)

As for my past endeavours, I have made good money and lost good money. I'm currently making good money again, but recognise that this could change, whether due to my own stupidity or due to factors that are outside my control.

It's a foolhardy person who sits with a smug smile on his face because he's made a pot of cash - it can easily be lost again. (Just think of the banking crisis earlier this year).

Is it not sensible to consider second income opportunities?

Neeranam - teaching in a university is certainly a possible second career. That does require living in a city where such institutions are located. In any case, as one gets older, the need to live close to medical/support facilities means that living in a rural area may not be realistic.

Simon

wow why you dad work until dies 89 years it not good why you didn t take care him.Thai people we different .when we retirement 60 years .They didn t want make money.They want to spent the time with family. because kid will take care Mom and Dad. Some family have kid 3or 4 kid they don t lonely. The Thai culture kid have to give the money for Mom and Dad too.We belive if you take care Mom and Dad good you will rich and lucky for ever that why Thai people doesn t have problem when retirement.

Namsai, apologies because I had to do a quick check of your previous posts to see if you are serious with your comments :)

My father worked until he was 89 years old because (and maybe many people do not understand this) - he liked working!!!

Yes, even though it's very difficult to understand, some people actually like to work, even for little or no money. My father was a professor of languages and the last thing he wanted when he was old was to sit at home with nothing to do.

He is not unique - many old people really want to work, to keep their brain active and to keep themselves fit. I hope my children do not try to stop me from working when I am the same age as my father.

My comments above tie in with the theme of this thread. Someone is is perhaps 65 years old or older may have a problem finding employment (paid or otherwise) because of age discrimination. Hence the interest in second careers and self-employment where one can enjoy a challenging working day without being pressured to count the flowers in the garden :D

Simon