After 7 Times No Further Tr Visa In Vientiane/laos

I went for a new touristvisa to Vientiane Laos. I stay in Thailand since februari 2008 on a tourist visa, after 7 TR visas The Embassy changes policy and refuses to give an other visa. They dont see me as a tourist anymore and advice me to take care of a visa which is corresponding to my actual situation, not being a tourist anymore. I spoke to the Consul but he became angry when I asked for an explanation. I went back to Thailand on an arrival for 15 days, this expires the 11 th of January.

Since 1 month I am 50 years old, but dont have a bankaccount with 800.000 bath on my name for the last 3 months, so cannot go yet for a retention visa. I booked regularly transferred money into Thailand for my living. Stay with my girlfriend since april 2008 and want to stay in Thailand ofcourse :) . I considder now to go for a Thai study visa, to have time to prepare the necessary arrangements for a retention visa.

The questions I have now:

1. Are there more persons who have the same experience and what you did afterwards?

2. Can I go tho the Cambodian border (1 hour) after 15 days for another 15 days and how many times can I do this?

3. Are there any proposals for my situation to have an other visa than the TR visa I had?

Thanks for your help in advance.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure you need the 800,000 to get the non-O visa in Vientiane. The 800,000 is needed for the extension in Thailand itself, generally not to get a visa although some embassies/consulates might want to see some money in the bank or an income.

Did you ask the consul about the requirements there for the non-O visa based on retirement?

Another question is, what is your nationality?.

Other suggestions are indeed an Ed-visa, but if you fly to Perth you can get a multiple non-O visa for sure.

As you just turned 50 I would visit Malaysia and apply for a single entry non immigrant O visa on the basis that you will extend for retirement. That would provide a 90 day entry to allow time for the 60 days required for bank account use to extend your stay for a year (if you have the funds available). Next option would be a trip to Perth with copy of your GF id card to obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa.

15 day border crossings are not currently restricted to any set number.

Not sure you need the 800,000 to get the non-O visa in Vientiane. The 800,000 is needed for the extension in Thailand itself, generally not to get a visa although some embassies/consulates might want to see some money in the bank or an income.

Did you ask the consul about the requirements there for the non-O visa based on retirement?

Other suggestions are indeed an Ed-visa, but if you fly to Perth you can get a multiple non-O visa for sure.

The consul did not want to talk too much, the morning I was there he had about 700 persons demanding for a visa. About my situtation he was short and told me to go back for 15 days into Thailand and arrange the documents for a visa other than a touristvisa.

I am from Holland, by the way. The 11 th I will go to Cambodia first and come back again for 15 days (I hope). In the meantime I will try to collect the necessary information, may be go to immigration in Phak Chong and ask for advise.

The questions I have now:

1. Are there more persons who have the same experience and what you did afterwards?

2. Can I go tho the Cambodian border (1 hour) after 15 days for another 15 days and how many times can I do this?

3. Are there any proposals for my situation to have an other visa than the TR visa I had?

1) A friend of mine got a red stamp in Vientiane. He moved to Penang

2) You can do it as many times as you want. After a few times they might ask you a proof of your income, and you can show them your bank passbook or/and a sort of document from the bank that proves that your money comes from abroad.

3) As others have said ED visa, Non O at Perth, and obviously if you can meet the requirements extension for retirement

2) You can do it as many times as you want. After a few times they might ask you a proof of your income, and you can show them your bank passbook or/and a sort of document from the bank that proves that your money comes from abroad.

This is incorrect information. It is not easy to get tourist visas from Penang. With a passport full of tourist visas your chances are nil.

To Foreigner:

Unfortunately you made a mistake of getting single entry tourist visas from Vientiane. If you had applied for double entry tourist visas you would have still been on your 4th now and not applying for your 5th until early next year.

Your passport must be near full by now. My gf's passport was full, so she returned with a new passport and got a tourist visa after she was refused the month before.

Make sure next time you apply in Vientiane you mark '2' in the box "how many entries" just under the photographs at the top right. With an extension on each entry and careful timing you can stay 6 months on each double entry tourist visa.

Obviously this is only a short term solution. A retirement visa or Ed visa would be the way to go.

This is incorrect information. It is not easy to get tourist visas from Penang. With a passport full of tourist visas your chances are nil.

I said he moved to Penang. He lives there now. He was so pissed by Thai immigration rules that he decided to go and spend his money in Malaysia.

I said he moved to Penang. He lives there now. He was so pissed by Thai immigration rules that he decided to go and spend his money in Malaysia.

Got it!

intresting

So there is no limit on how many times you cross the border and come back to get 15 days ?

thanks in advance

hgma

As you just turned 50 I would visit Malaysia and apply for a single entry non immigrant O visa on the basis that you will extend for retirement. That would provide a 90 day entry to allow time for the 60 days required for bank account use to extend your stay for a year (if you have the funds available). Next option would be a trip to Perth with copy of your GF id card to obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa.

intresting

So there is no limit on how many times you cross the border and come back to get 15 days ?

thanks in advance

hgma

Some land borders started limiting 15 days entries to 4 earlier this year and then changed again to no limit quite recently. These things can change quickly, without warning, so getting a proper visa is a better option.

This is an attitude I don't understand. Thailand, as well as every other country on the face of the planet, has a right to determine its own policies for granting the privilege of entry into their country. It is not our personal playground. For the vast majority of us, Thailand's policies are much softer than those of the countries we come from. And this idea that any one of us makes a significant impact on the Thai economy is laughable.

The consul did not want to talk too much, the morning I was there he had about 700 persons demanding for a visa. About my situtation he was short and told me to go back for 15 days into Thailand and arrange the documents for a visa other than a touristvisa.

I am from Holland, by the way. The 11 th I will go to Cambodia first and come back again for 15 days (I hope). In the meantime I will try to collect the necessary information, may be go to immigration in Phak Chong and ask for advise.

As has been said, go to the Thai consulate in Kuala Lumphur, Malaysia, and apply there for a non-O visa based on retirement. Bring a bankbook along to show you have some money, at least 20,000 should do it.

With the non-O visa you get a permission to stay for 90 days in Thailand. During the last 30 days you go to your immigration office in Thailand and apply for a 1 year extension of stay.

For the 1 year extension you will need:

an income of 65,000 a month (if from aborad you will need a letter from your embassy toproof your income)

OR

at least 800,000 in a bankaccount in Thailand for at least 2 months (3 months for all future applications)

OR

a combination of yearly income and money in the bank totaling at least 800,000. (In this case no seasoning of money in the bank is necesarry)

Brunus, Tropo, Mario thank you for your helpful information. I start with going to the border on Januari 11 th, than I go to the Dutch Embassy for a new passport, because indeed there are 3 pages left and a lot of visas inside. After I have my new passport I'll try an ED visa and later followed by a retirement or business visa. I'll keep you posted here about my progress.

This is an attitude I don't understand. Thailand, as well as every other country on the face of the planet, has a right to determine its own policies for granting the privilege of entry into their country. It is not our personal playground. For the vast majority of us, Thailand's policies are much softer than those of the countries we come from. And this idea that any one of us makes a significant impact on the Thai economy is laughable.

I don't understand what you don't understand. He was fed up with Thai immigration rules and moved to another country, where they don't make life so complicated to tourists. He didn't start a rally vs immigration policies.

"Thailand's policies are much softer than those of the countries we come from." I am married. My wife has no problem to live in my country, has all benefits as me (free medical care, pension when old.........) and soon she will have my citizenship together with her Thai citizenship. I am struggling to gather 400k. What are you talking about?

I shall wait with bated breath for the imminent collapse of the Thai economy.

My friend lived here for 5 years. Suddenly he had to move and start a new life somewhere else. You seem to think like Thai immigration do. Falang=money. You forget that we are talking of people.

I don't understand what you don't understand. He was fed up with Thai immigration rules and moved to another country, where they don't make life so complicated to tourists. He didn't start a rally vs immigration policies.

"Thailand's policies are much softer than those of the countries we come from." I am married. My wife has no problem to live in my country, has all benefits as me (free medical care, pension when old.........) and soon she will have my citizenship together with her Thai citizenship. I am struggling to gather 400k. What are you talking about?

Oh hey, don't mind these thread crashers. They have nothing to offer to help the OP and others concerned about this issue. They are always reading these threads and interjecting combative comments to concerned posters. They enjoy irritating people on this issue of great importance to many.

Oh hey, don't mind these thread crashers. They have nothing to offer to help the OP and others concerned about this issue. They are always reading these threads and interjecting combative comments to concerned posters. They enjoy irritating people on this issue of great importance to many.

With all due respect, Brunus is the one that brought his friends situation into the topic, so I would say that makes it fair game for responses until the Mods deem other wise.

Edited by beechguy

Brunus, Tropo, Mario thank you for your helpful information. I start with going to the border on Januari 11 th, than I go to the Dutch Embassy for a new passport, because indeed there are 3 pages left and a lot of visas inside. After I have my new passport I'll try an ED visa and later followed by a retirement or business visa. I'll keep you posted here about my progress.

Why not make it easier and apply for a tourist visa in Vientiane with your new passport. I'm 99.9% sure you'll be successful and make sure it's a double entry. Right now they are free so you don't have too much to lose.

This will take care of your immediate problem of having a valid visa and it will give you some breathing room. You should be able to manage a few more years like this unless they change their policies again.

Edited by tropo

Foreigner, or should I say "buitenlander" in your and my language, you are 50+ now. Don't you have either 800 k in the bank, 800 k income, or a combination together 800 k ? You are entitled, in that case, for an ret visa. If I can help you, in Dutch language, send me a personal message. May be we can work something out together.

While I cannot comment with any certainty about your friend or your wife's situation, I am talking about people who clearly abuse the intent (or actual process) of what I will refer to as the "visa laws" of Thailand.

There are people who have lived here for years who are still doing so by getting tourist visas. Residency and tourism are two different things.

Be clear, I am not talking about your marriage in this one: There are people who honestly recommend to posters in this forum that they just go out and marry some Thai woman to get a visa related to marriage. That's marriage? No human consequences to that?

I guess for me it's a question of honesty and morality. And, I fully realize that where each person draws the line on those ephemeral principles varies.

To the OP:

How did you manage to use seven tourist visas since February 2008?

Or... did I miss something?

I just assumed he was getting single entry tourist visas. At 3 months a piece with extentions he would have finished 7 already.

Unless people read this forum, how would they know they can get double entries in Vientiane?

I guess for me it's a question of honesty and morality. And, I fully realize that where each person draws the line on those ephemeral principles varies.

The new year has barely begun and the moral police are out again.

When will you moralists realise that people do not self regulate. It's up to the Immigration department to make the rules. We work within the rules.

Edited by tropo

With all due respect, Brunus is the one that brought his friends situation into the topic, so I would say that makes it fair game for responses until the Mods deem other wise.

1) The OP asked if anybody was in a similar situation. I answered what my friend did. It is an option that the OP might want to consider for the future.

2) Another poster, who was trying to help, misunderstood what I wrote, and I clarified.

3) People posted bitter comments on my friend's decision to move to another country.

So I think that I and others were trying to help the OP.

These bitter comments are instead just useless and nonsense.

While I cannot comment with any certainty about your friend or your wife's situation, I am talking about people who clearly abuse the intent (or actual process) of what I will refer to as the "visa laws" of Thailand.

There are people who have lived here for years who are still doing so by getting tourist visas. Residency and tourism are two different things.

Be clear, I am not talking about your marriage in this one: There are people who honestly recommend to posters in this forum that they just go out and marry some Thai woman to get a visa related to marriage. That's marriage? No human consequences to that?

1)Your first comment was talking about my friend.

2)The OP said he has a girlfriend and in the future he might want to marry her because they love each other. The OP might not know that he can have a visa easier after marriage. Like me. I have been married for 3 years and always went on visa runs for a tourist visa. Then this forum helped me to find a better solution for my visa problems. I was trying to help the OP, like others here helped me before.

3)As Tropo said we play by the rules they make.

4)If you have lived here long enough you know that honesty and morality are not on the "top ten" of values here. So when in Rome.....