Tempered Glass Shop

whatchamacallit

The other day while I was at my desk working on my computer I heard a loud bang coming from my bathroom - turned out my shower glass door had exploded into a thousand pieces :) This caught me by surprise and kinda scarry :D Good thing I was not in the shower when it happened. Does anyone know what could have caused this?? Can tempered glass exploded just like that???

BTW does anyone know where a tempered glass shop in the Jomtien/Pattaya area?

Jomtien area, on Chaiyapruek2 about 50m before you get to the railtracks heading up from Sukhumvit, a small lane goes between two blocks of shophouses on your right, this is the back entrance to Sans Quality Glass, or go to the rail track and head south on the northbound lane!! (naughty naughty!) for about 20 m - that is the front entrance.

They supply most of the glaziers around town. Dont know if open today though?

Jomtien area, on Chaiyapruek2 about 50m before you get to the railtracks heading up from Sukhumvit, a small lane goes between two blocks of shophouses on your right, this is the back entrance to Sans Quality Glass, or go to the rail track and head south on the northbound lane!! (naughty naughty!) for about 20 m - that is the front entrance.

Ever tried to translate "Sans" from french to english. :)

Your house is built on a swamp, like almost all places in this City/country, which means the house is moving and thus creating tensions in buildings leading to cracks and broken glasses. Watch out for upcoming cracks within the next 1 - 3 yerars. - almost certain.

Almost sure your place has no proper foundation too.

Edited by elcent

...exactly my thoughts :D:D ....is this why they explode just like that?

Un question... excellant!

If it's what we call frame-less glass shower screens...they can be fitted incorrectly. The rubber gaskets that sit under the metal supports have to sit right to avoid pressure points on the glass. Building harmonics can lead to problems. Air conditioners are often part of the problem, plus ground vibrations from passing traffic.

I bought tempered glass as a shower divide from a shop on Sukhumvit for B3,000. As i was carrying it alone from my van it exploded in my hands into many millions of tiny bits .I got quite a few minor cuts all over my body .

I since used a perspex divide as i no longer trust tempered glass .Maybe it was made to a Thai standard . :)

I bought tempered glass as a shower divide from a shop on Sukhumvit for B3,000. As i was carrying it alone from my van it exploded in my hands into many millions of tiny bits .I got quite a few minor cuts all over my body .

I since used a perspex divide as i no longer trust tempered glass .Maybe it was made to a Thai standard . :)

If it cost 3000Bt, it was definately not tempered glass, live and learn. :D

If possible ask the shop if they sell laminated glass - think car windshield. Also, there is a film for sale which you apply to regular glass, as an anti-theft measure, which renders the glass more or less unbreakable. Available in Thailand ? - good question. Google has info. I have had bad luck with tempered glass, and stay away from it. One small tap on the edge, maybe weeks before, will set up an impending stress crack. Then, at some time in the future, boom !