Adsl With Linux In Bkk

simon43

A few months back I tried (unsuccessfully) to connect my Linux PC to ADSL here in BKK. The problem basically was that the ADSL routers supplied by True or TOT only support Windows and only have Windows drivers.

I want to have another go at getting this all to work. Has anyone successfully got their ADSL connection working with a Linux PC? (I'm not talking about a 'server' but simply a computer running Linux - Red Hat).

Why don't I want to use a Windows PC? The answer really is not printable here :o , as other Linux/Unix afficiados will understand :D

It is of course possible. The easiest way would be to use any normal ADSL ethernet router (I think you're confusing routers with modems), and have the linux box connect via ethernet like any other client. Assign IPs via DHCP or static.

Next easiest way would be by using an ADSL ethernet modem. These are platform independent and all you would need is a PPPoE client (freely downloadable/available).

Least easiest way is a ADSL USB modem... only some are supported in linux. My friend has done this, but it's not recommended for people who don't like to get hands-on.

Hello Simon43,

I use 1 Linux computer and 1 Windows on my ADSL, I do this with a D-link DSL-500G (generation II) router/modem connected to a 5 port D-link DES-1005D switch.

The connection to the internet is without any problems..........

Before I used a Billion Bipac-7000 USB ADSL modem to connect my Linux computer to the internet, and I agree with Firefoxx installing is not something you do for fun

• 2 weeks later...
A few months back I tried (unsuccessfully) to connect my Linux PC to ADSL here in BKK.  The problem basically was that the ADSL routers supplied by True or TOT only support Windows and only have Windows drivers.

I want to have another go at getting this all to work.  Has anyone successfully got their ADSL connection working with a Linux PC?  (I'm not talking about a 'server' but simply a computer running Linux - Red Hat).

Why don't I want to use a Windows PC?  The answer really is not printable here :o  , as other Linux/Unix afficiados will understand  :D

I think you have misunderstood.

A router connects with ethernet and does not need drivers.

You access the router through your browser and that should work

for Windows or Linux.

Just give the browser the address of the router 192.xxx.xxx.xxx

whatever you have set it up to be.

Set your pc to pick up its ip address from the dhcp server on the router.

You only need drivers if it is adsl modem connected via usb.

Even then a search on the net may produce a suitable Linux driver.

• 2 weeks later...

hi'

and keep in mind that linux respect some standards ...

internet adsl connection is similar to cable connection and should not need any drivers, one just have to setup network, choose the mode of connection and set it to dhcp.

if connected with usb, you add a device!

then you need a driver, or may be your kernel have it already.

if it was not here at install, compile it, configure it and install it, don't forget to make a link in module section, anyway the install of any driver has a read-me or/and a how-to, read and follow instructions :o

a read-me or a how-to is always linked to a distro, be careful which one you read ...

you may find almost everything here :

http://www.sourceforge.org

francois

Edited by francois

• 1 month later...
hi'

and keep in mind that linux respect some standards ...

internet adsl connection is similar to cable connection and should not need any drivers, one just have to setup network, choose the mode of connection and set it to dhcp.

if connected with usb, you add a device!

then you need a driver, or may be your kernel have it already.

if it was not here at install, compile it, configure it and install it, don't forget to make a link in module section, anyway the install of any driver has a read-me or/and a how-to, read and follow instructions :o

a read-me or a how-to is always linked to a distro, be careful which one you read ...

you may find almost everything here :

http://www.sourceforge.org

francois

In case it may help I have wrote a small help on how to connect to adsl in thailand

with ubuntu 5.04 and the BILION BIPAC-7000 adsl it s far from perfect but it may

be a good start :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2293

Good luck

Just a note, I've just had ADSL supplied by TOT, they sent me a pre-programmed 4 port router running DHCP, just plugged in the ethernet & telephone cables and off it went no probs for either window$ or Linux.

Just a note, I've just had ADSL supplied by TOT, they sent me a pre-programmed 4 port router running DHCP, just plugged in the ethernet  & telephone cables and off it went no probs for either window$ or Linux.

hi'

a routeur isn't pre-programmed, by default it is set as a dhcp gateway, so as we all say Linux doesn't need drivers for an ethernet connection as astral said too.

check the name of your routeur and pay a visit here : routeur pages,

print the help file that is for your routeur and then take a look at the setup-page,

if you want to modify it, forward port or set a static IP go to the routeur setup-page, type the address, most of them have a http:// 192.168.1.1

give us a report on how it goes ...

don't forget to check the configuration of your type of connection ...

set it as dhcp and give the routeur address as the gateway.

with red-hat you have tools to do so without typing a command line :o

francois

Edited by francois

• 3 weeks later...