Got Hit-n-run Today! Interesting Story To Share...

cseika

This happened to me in Chonburi. First of all I drive a 92 Toyota Corona. Prior to the events, it was in show room condition. This morning as I was stopping to make a right turn i was rear ended. It was a light bump. The driver was very polite and we dealt with the police report and insurance as usual and drove off. All is well, and the plan was to bring my car to the shop the next day for an estimate.

The very same day, at night, I drove the car to Bangsaen to eat Buffet. I street parked the car. Mind, It wasn't the best parking job, I was about a meter away from the sidewalk due to the hardware store right next to it putting a stool in the middle of the public parking space to reserve it. When I came out my rear end is completely destroyed! The trunk has crushed into my wheel and the other driver was nowhere to be seen. We talked to the merchants and restaurants at the spot and manage to get a few witnesses, vehicle color, model, and license plate down. We call for help, and made our way to the police station to file the report. We filed the report and the police gave us the address of the registered owner of the other vehicle. They said they will try to find the other driver/car and we can do the same on our own at the same time if we would like. So I immediately did, regardless that it is 2am. I figured i might be able to locate the other vehicle and snap a picture of it to use in court later.

Now here's the interesting part, as I try to find this prick, the address that they gave me is actually located in the Police Condo in the SAME police station that I filed the police report earlier. We drove around for hours in search of the address and we finally found the address back at the police station. So that means the guy that hit me is probably a police or an associate of a police in the same station. At this point the officer who gave me this address clearly doesn't realize this yet, but tomorrow if they actually do do something about it, I'm sure they will figure that its their own people who did the hit-and-run.

So for those of you who read this far, <deleted> should I do now? As far as I'm concerned justice do not prevail in this country. Back in Los Angeles I would've sued that officer for sure. However, this is Thailand. What should I do? In fact the question is "Is there anything I can do?"

What a great f*king way to start a new year. Happy 2010 Everyone!

Oh ya here are the pictures of my rear end!1.jpg

2.jpg

I am fairly certain they are aware of the address they gave you Thais know their areas around them very well because everything is named. Who was the guy who hit you earlier in the morning? Was any blame put on him? Did he appear to be a person of position? Maybe they are telling you something. Have you done anything in the past there that can come back to haunt you?

Wow that sucks mate, i gotta ask though, as you was practically parked in the middle of the road would you be the one at fault ??

That's what I thought, I would expect someone to be in touch with a large invoice shortly if I were you.

If you were parked on the proper side of the road ( not a a given here in LOS ) it sure looks like someone didn't see your parking job and clocked you. I bet if they knew the car belonged to a foreigner, they would have had the police down there and made you pay for the vehicle that hit you. Let your insurance cover the damages to your car and be done with it.

Looking at the damage on your ride, the other vehicle probably tore up his radiator & may not even be on the road or hiding it at a buddies house. Looks like a drunken stupor accident. I hope for your sake you got good insurance. In the U.S. that would be a definite excess of $3000.00 He must have been cruising pretty fast to crumple the rear quarter panel that bad. What a <deleted> way to ring in a new year. Looks like you may be better off with a new ride. Or yank the engine & tranny out & put it in a defunct car similar in good shape. It would cost far less.Good luck if it is a cop. You might get the bin for his damage if confronts as you were not parked perfect or Farang always wrong clause.

Have you taken that to your insurance agent and left it to him (and the insurance company) to determine if the other driver has insurance (required, but ..) and how to collect from that company? You have your police report which, I assume, states you were rear ended while parked.

The only accident I have been in, my company repaired my car and collected from the other person's insurance.

I don't think the other driver was going in excess of 30kmh otherwise there would be worse damage. If you compare the photos to the results from the US Highway safety testing results most cars have the damage right up into the passenger compartment when it is about 50kmh. Anyway, it's not important.

I see this differently than those that might worry. If the fellow is a policeman, and you get hassled, you have every right to go and complain to the police HQ in BKK. I know that the BiB have a horrible rep but sometimes when things go sour, the officials in BKK do intervene. best to try and work this out with the fellow who I wonder whether or not was drunk,

Hope the other party doesn't read ThaiVisa otherwise they have a printed addmission you basically left your car unattended in the middle of the road :D what do you do now? you get a S/H trunklid,fender and light unit take it to a repair shop and in a week it will resemble something similar to before, then you can continue the TLC which should now include TLC parking :) .

I received a call today from the other party. Turns out it was an officer's son who is 14 years old driving drunk. Apparently, according to witnesses, I wasn't the only car that he has hit on his way home! They didn't have insurance, but the guy is offered to settle privately for the repair fees. I'm surprised to hear that the repair for such damage for my vehicle only comes up to 35000 Baht. In the US its not even worth fixing.

Not that it matters but while at the shop, got a glance of their Hilux, that thing does not look pretty at all! Cheers!

Mind, It wasn't the best parking job, I was about a meter away from the sidewalk ................
So for those of you who read this far, <deleted> should I do now?

Park your car better next time :)

I received a call today from the other party. Turns out it was an officer's son who is 14 years old driving drunk. Apparently, according to witnesses, I wasn't the only car that he has hit on his way home! They didn't have insurance, but the guy is offered to settle privately for the repair fees. I'm surprised to hear that the repair for such damage for my vehicle only comes up to 35000 Baht. In the US its not even worth fixing.

Not that it matters but while at the shop, got a glance of their Hilux, that thing does not look pretty at all! Cheers!

35,000 baht is quite the lowball bid. I doubt if any body shop can repair it back to normal for that even if the shop owner is starving. I told my girl that looked like a truck hit it. He actually hit it twice . The second time was backing it up.You might be better off with taking the money & run. Not sure how the ins.companies deal with it, but in the U.S. the customer would have to cough up a portion if he was in the wrong . I still think if you really are attached to the car find a car that your engine & tranny will fit into That has a roasted drive train & swap your interior. Probably your best bet. Or customize your car into a truck with the 35,000. A truck bed & lengthening the frame would be cheaper than pulling the frame on a frame rack & having the body work done. I have seen some hideous hack jobs on body & paint here.

how did they come up with the figure of 35K? was it the body shop guy who said that? if so, take the money and try to forget about it, coppers here are not worth messing with. it boils my blood to think about it but its just madness to be taking them on.

"This happened to me in Chonburi. First of all I drive a 92 Toyota Corona. Prior to the events, it was in show room condition."

Something is not adding up.

Only ever driven to Church on Sundays....oops I mean the Wat........

Actually, the car belonged to my wife's mother's before she passed away almost 15 years ago. My wife doesn't have any close family members as we speak and her family left nothing for her. Hence this car, means a tremendous amount to her. Prior to our ownership, Her relatives drove the car. When we transferred it to our name we, restored a car to the way it was when her mother drove it. Regardless of whether it is financially worth it or not.

That's why junking the car is not really an option here. As for swapping the frame/tranny/engine/intererior.

What sort of copper is gunna ring to say it was his unlicenced 14yr old Son driving pissed that did the damage ???

Anywho, coin was offered and you have an admission of guilt (even though you was in the wrong).... go to your insurance company, let them fix it properly and chase the coin.