Indian Restaurants

stuandchris

Following instruction from our mods this is the thread for Indian restaurants in Phuket.

Rawai beach at the other end from the new crap Indian is a small restaurant, genuine Indian and very reasonable, my friend who lived in India for years said it was the best he ever tasted.

Go down Rawai beach towards Promthep. Near the end of the beach road is a bar with Rawai sports fishing club in bright yellow, it is two doors down.

Khan Baba located in Kata on the newish road that connects patak road to the bottom road,coming from chalong,take a left opposite the indoor market,the restaraunt is located 3/4 of the way down on the right hand side,almost next to Solution bar,and opposite the dome resort.

One of the best Indians i've had on the island.

PST

I haven't tried that one yet.I pass it nearly every night on the way to the bar but have never seen anyone eating there.I will give it a try one night.If it is authentic Indian it will be entirely different to the Tandoori Ressie as that is what i would call British style Indian.

I have cooked in a couple of Indian restaurants in the UK and the Indian guy's I worked with hardly ever ate the British style food.They would wait till the end and cook proper Indian as they called it.Some of which I found quite bland.I have also spent a lot of time in India, I have been there about 20 times so far.Ended up making chapattis in a restaurant in Calcutta one day with the biggest Indian guy I have ever seen.He used to make about 1000 chapattis a day

Oh please.....you're talking about Mr. Ashok's "new" restaurant.

He used to be where Mexicali restaurant is now.

If you don't mind waiting an hour for the simplest of dishes, then please go.

As Mr. Ashok himself says, it's just plain home-cooked food. You cannot even compare it to the dishes that the Tandoori restaurant does..

The food is nothing special and expensive, but, Mr. Ashok is good to chat with.

Edited by KarenBravo

in the north we have little india and kargo curry both near laguna, excellent and as a bradford born expat i should know, yes they are to western taste so not the genuine indian bland veggie stuff more the pakistani bangladesi type meaty and tasty.

not cheap but then the good things in life are never.

Agreed the new big Indian joint at the east end of Rawaii is rubbish. (Is it called Tandoori?) Thier nan bread is horrible. I couldn't eat the cheese nan. I've tried 5 or 6 Indian places now and I think the best is Sabai Sabai opposite Kata Pharmacy next to Calypso Divers. The current owner, Shiva, used to work at Dubai in Kata, which has now changed it's focus to seafood. There is less on the menu at Sabai, and there can be a bit of a wait for food if he is busy, but it is worth it. He is very affordable and it's the best nan, vindaloo, and tikamasala I have ever eaten.

As Mr. Ashok himself says, it's just plain home-cooked food. You cannot even compare it to the dishes that the Tandoori restaurant does..

I thought the OP was speaking of the always empty Indian restaurant across from Ban Haad Rawai seafood at the end of Rawai Beach.

Agreed the new big Indian joint at the east end of Rawaii is rubbish. (Is it called Tandoori?) Thier nan bread is horrible. I couldn't eat the cheese nan. I've tried 5 or 6 Indian places now and I think the best is Sabai Sabai opposite Kata Pharmacy next to Calypso Divers. The current owner, Shiva, used to work at Dubai in Kata, which has now changed it's focus to seafood. There is less on the menu at Sabai, and there can be a bit of a wait for food if he is busy, but it is worth it. He is very affordable and it's the best nan, vindaloo, and tikamasala I have ever eaten.

It must depend on what time of day anyone visit's the tandoori or which chef is working as half the people I know who have eaten there say good and half say crap.

It's hard work being a chef these days with so many variations on the way dishes are cooked and when the celebrity chef tv programs started everyone thought they were a chef as it is easy to cook for 2-3 people.

I once had a dish sent back to my kitchen in the UK.When I asked what the problem was the customer said that is not how Jamie(Jamie***** Oliver) cooked it on his show.Bye bye go and eat in Jamie's restaurant then.

I thought the OP was speaking of the always empty Indian restaurant across from Ban Haad Rawai seafood at the end of Rawai Beach.

Yup.....that's Mr. Asoke's "new" restaurant.

I suppose everyones taste is different Karenbravo, you think the tandoori is better then that is fine but I haven't heard anyone complimenting the place since it opened.

I think Mr Asoke does great Indian food and what is wrong with 'home cooked'? In my experience that is usually better!

in the north we have little india and kargo curry both near laguna, excellent and as a bradford born expat i should know, yes they are to western taste so not the genuine indian bland veggie stuff more the pakistani bangladesi type meaty and tasty.

not cheap but then the good things in life are never.

Not particularly impressed with Kargo Curry and i'm not impressed with Little India Prices. I might give them another try but until then my search goes on....

mrjohn

"This reply is for starkey rich and so I apologise, once again, for going off topic.

I think it might be wise, starkey rich, on an anonymous forum such as this, not to make assumptions about people whom you have not met, and about whom you know nothing.

Food, more specifically Asian food, has been my life and my living for the past 40 years so I think I know something about the subject.

However, to answer your points:

We grow ginger, mint, coriander and curry leaves and, of course, lots of fresh chillies.

Cumin seeds are easily available here. Even Tops sells them and the fresh leaves from the plant are available in the market most days.

Fenugreek grows perfectly well here. I have grown it in my garden, but I don't particularly like the pungent, lingering smell and neither does my Thai wife!

Asafoetida is only used in minute quantities, so a small packet would last a very long time. Cardamon seeds are also available, although, admittedly not the same as the Indian small green ones.

It was the idea that you have to ship this stuff down from Bangkok, and that somehow this constituted a major expense, that I was questioning.

The most important ingredients for Indian food namely, chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric, fresh chillies, fresh coriander, onions, garlic, ginger are not only widely available they are, naturally, of the highest quality. I buy most of my dry spices from an old shop in Phuket Town where they are both cheap and wonderfully fresh.

So, as far as I can see, the only two items you would need to “ship down from Bangkok,” would be asafoetida, and good quality green cardamoms.

Actually, I have a problem obtaining large, black mustard seeds. So if you know where to get them let me know and, maybe for once, we farangs could be mutually supportive instead of constantly trying to score points off each other."

Sorry for the assumption mrjohn.

I have been a chef for over 30 years and have worked in Indian restaurants so I also know something about the subject.

Yes I know you can grow many things in your garden here but I am cooking on a commercial basis and unfortunately do not have much time for gardening.

I also know you can buy many spices here in 10,20 and 50 grm packs.This is not very cost effective though as when you are using spices in bulk as I do, some spices are working out at 500/600 bht a kilo when buying in small packets.

So the easy and cheapest option at the moment is buy from Bkk.

I would appreciated the address of the shop in Phuket Town if you could PM me.

I can give you the name of my supplier if you want to ask about mustard seeds.

I am always trying to help people on this forum even though you never even get a thanx or a cheers most of the time

I am steelepulse

<deleted>?

stu is telling him he is on about that particular restaurant if that makes sense

Haha. Yes of course. I first saw LiLos's Sparticus comment and so thought steelpulse was saying he had two identities. lol

FTR, steelpulse said "I thought the OP was talking about..." Therefore, technically, the response should have been, "I was steelpulse" lol :)

Thanks Scuba, Sabai Sabai

Tryed nan plain, with cheese, with garlic and with cottage cheese. Aroy mak mak

Chicken Tandoori great, lamb masala yumyum.

They where not busy, and had to wait 30 minutes for food, but its worth it.

Only slightly more expensive than foodstalls in Central and Jungceylon.

We ll be back :)

Re. good Indian food availability on the island.

The Oasis bar (aka Travellers rest in Karon) do a selection

of really good traditional Indian dishes.

Have eaten there three times now and its been

consistantly good.

I believe the currys are 'home made' locally,& are

definately the best that i've tasted in the five years

that i've been on Phuket.

There used to be an indian restaraunt next door to oasis,and there is also one oposite,i'm sure the food comes from the one next door.

PST.

Actually the curries at Oasis come from the same people that supply Lady Pies with her range of British style curries.

Not the restaurant next door.

I had a great curry from the Lady Pie shop in Bang Tao.

I'd even say one of the best curry's I've ever had.

Highly recommended for those that like British Indian ruby's.

Hugh Jampton.

Thanks for the info Hugh.I really miss a good Indian so I tried a couple from Lady Pies the other day.I had the Chicken Madras and a Chicken Tikka Masala.

Very tasty curries.

I am over from Samui visiting friends in Bang Tao so I am going to take a selection back with me as I cannot find a decent curry back there

They should make it frozen in an eski I hope