• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 51

Bangkok Suffers Severe Smog as PM2.5 Levels Soar Amidst Heat Wave

2. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

3. 95

Form 7162 Anybody Received Theirs Yet for 2024?

4. 0

Has my sex tourist friend found a loop hole?

5. 2,667

ICE vs EV, the debate thread

6. 68

Thai Hostages Still Missing a Year After Hamas Attack

7. 563

White Culture

8. 0

Florida Law Enforcement trying to protect the innocent,ain’t easy!

9. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

10. 34

Tm47 online submission "rejected"

11. 19

Will White Women Shift Away from Republicans to Support Kamala Harris in 2024?

12. 17

Maximum Baht I can take out of Tland as cash

13. 17

Maximum Baht I can take out of Tland as cash

14. 125

Trump chickens out again.

How Often Should I Start My Nouvo To Stop The Battery Going Flat?

JetsetBkk

I decided to use the bike the other day - a Yamaha Nouvo - and the battery went dead before it started. I then found out you have to put it on the centre stand before you can kick-start it as the stand is designed to get in the way of the kick-start. :)

I knew I hadn't used it for a couple of months and that explained the dead battery, so I wondered how often it should be started and run to keep the battery charged.

I have a battery charger for the pickup and was thinking of using it on the bike, but what setting is recommended for a bike battery? Is it 6v or 12v?

12V

Wifeys Mio battery died a while ago and that was despite it being run most days, only for short trips in the village mind. I dislike the way the centre stand has to be used to use the kickstart on that too.

My Phantom didn't get a lot of use but I did have someone run the engine for 10 mins at least once a week when I wasn't there, the battery still died within a couple of years.

Maintainance is a good idea as letting the levels in the battery fall is a very good way to shorten it's life so keep some deionised water on hand to top up if necessary.

Simple way to tell weather it's six or twelve Volts is just to look at it. It will be made up of a number of 2V cells.

If there are three places to add water then it's a six Volt battery. If it's got six (like a car battery) it's 12Volt

Another easy way is to look at any of the light bulbs. It will say on them 6V or 12V.

I've got a Nouvo as a run around and sometimes leave it for a month or so without problems. The only thing I find is that because I run it exclusively on 91 gasohol, it can be hard to start after not being run for a week or so and constant cranking of the starter motor can quickly drain an already weak battery. Kick starting it and then giving it a decent run should top up the battery again.

Cheers,

Pikey.

12V

Wifeys Mio battery died a while ago and that was despite it being run most days, only for short trips in the village mind. I dislike the way the centre stand has to be used to use the kickstart on that too.

My Phantom didn't get a lot of use but I did have someone run the engine for 10 mins at least once a week when I wasn't there, the battery still died within a couple of years.

Maintainance is a good idea as letting the levels in the battery fall is a very good way to shorten it's life so keep some deionised water on hand to top up if necessary.

My Nouvo is also used for short trips only. It's 18 months old and has done 1,150 km. :)

This is probably the reason the battery is weak - started so many times and not ridden enough to recharge the battery.

12 volt, should not be charged with more than 6 amp so have a look at your charger before connecting.

Yammy Elegance comes with a maintance free battery (closed cells). I have had no problem to park for 3 months

Mine is also an "Elegance" - a black and red one. I didn't like the look of it originally as I thought it looked like something out of "Alien vs. Predator".

I also recalled it was a maintenance free battery, so was surprised at the guys who said "top it up" like you do with a pickup battery - I assumed they all came with maintenance free batteries.

I think I'll charge it up using the heavy duty charger that I've got. I usually charge my pickup battery overnight at no more than 1 amp when its starting to get old. I'll do the same with the bike's battery - low charge rate for longish time.

Edited by JetsetBkk

12 volt, should not be charged with more than 6 amp so have a look at your charger before connecting.

Yammy Elegance comes with a maintance free battery (closed cells). I have had no problem to park for 3 months

Mine is also an "Elegance" - a black and red one. I didn't like the look of it originally as I thought it looked like something out of "Alien vs. Predator".

I also recalled it was a maintenance free battery, so was surprised at the guys who said "top it up" like you do with a pickup battery - I assumed they all came with maintenance free batteries.

I think I'll charge it up using the heavy duty charger that I've got. I usually charge my pickup battery overnight at no more than 1 amp when its starting to get old. I'll do the same with the bike's battery - low charge rate for longish time.

thats it, low charge amp and never more than 14,44 volt for longish time

• 2 weeks later...